Square Enix: Activision Was Crazy To Drop Sleeping Dogs

Pages PREV 1 2

FelixG:
Hmm, first Deus Ex and now this from Squeenix...

If they arent careful I might have to start taking them seriously...

...Then again Supcom2 was... disappointing...

Thief 4 is on its way too.

Zeckt:

Kung fu master : Look for them where the giant bird docks.
Hero : Whoa!! what you mean, master? I don't get it!!
Kung fu master : They are at the airport, you stupid fucking dumb ass!!!

I like that kung fu master already, sound like a mix between Miyagi and Pai Mei. =p

"Because this game is just fantastic. The scale and scope of the game really encompasses all of everything you'd want to do in Hong Kong. "

The game is fantastic, of course, he's trying to sell it...
But he does it by saying "all of everything you'd want to do in Hong Kong.".

Hmmmm, really?
Because this is going to be a game about shooting dudes in the face in Hong Kong for a few short hours (I'm clearvoiyant, shhh!). Really, you think that's ALL I'd want to do in Hong Kong?
If this doesn't include a scene with 25 AAA-celebrity women partying with you -and WITHOUT their clothes- for days on end, then that's just ONE of many things that include ALL I'd want to do in Hong Kong.

False advertising lawsuits incoming? :P

If Square Enix has enough money to spare from ITS triple AAA blockbusters, then Activision should have had MORE than enough to take a chance on it. Activision must just be incredibly stingy with their gobs of money.

Grey Carter:
arse-poor performance

Arse-poor? There's piss-poor or weak-ass but there's no arse-poor.

Joe Deadman:
Ah I saw this at MCM yesterday, didn't get around to trying the demo out but I did watch a presentation/playthrough of part of a mission on it.

In London? Dammit! I was there in full stormtrooper gear, musta missed it because of the damn helmet :P

Ldude893:
... at least it's a sandbox game which doesn't force you to go bowling with cousins every 30 minutes.

*sad face*

From what I've seen (and depending on how it plays), this has the potential to be a sleeper hit (PNI), and if so I'll be happy to help Square Enix rub salt in Activision's wound.

Sadly, i'm not certain Squenix picked a good gamble, what I saw looked alright, but not earth shaking.

"True Crime" was ultimately a gta clone. That's not a bad thing.

If "Sleeping Dogs" turns out to be good, we'll all have something to play while waiting for gta5.

FelixG:

...Then again Supcom2 was... disappointing...

I know! It's going to be a long time before I find my heart again after they ripped it out like that. JC2 was cool, and while I haven't played DE:HR, I can see that too was good enough. SOMEONE still needs to apologize for that Supcom2 travesty though.

Racecarlock:
You know, I think square enix is the company that we should be supporting. We keep asking EA, Activision, and Ubisoft to do this stuff over and over and over again, but they never listen. But, you who seems to have listened? Square enix. I mean, hell, they published just cause 2. People like that game, right? They're also publishing Hitman Absolution and Quantum Conundrum. Like them enough yet? Anyone around here like deus ex human revolution or batman arkham city? Yep, they published those too. They also published kane and lynch 2 and mindjack, but I think arkham city alone made up for that.

In fact, here's a list of games that square has published http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Square_Enix_video_games .

Add to that they don't put in any obnoxious DRM or anti-used games bullshit, and I think we've got a company here that actually listens to us. Hell, I bet we could even get the CEO or at least some staff people to set up accounts right on this site so they can be even more in touch.

I really am trying! I love the fact that this company takes risks and stuff. But for every successful game they release, there's two unsuccessful games. They can only keep that going on for so long.

I was a long-time fan. Well, kinda am still. And I believe that it's cool that they're trying new things and all. But their main focus should be their trademark titles like FF and KH. It's kinda sad to think they're failing at what they do best, which is FF games/RPG. See: FF14. Their last FF titles are good but...come on, let's not fool ourselves. They're not exactly as successful as previous FFs.

I'll still be interested in a game made by Square-Enix. that's how I played The Bouncer, Samurai Legend Musashi, Deus Ex, etc. I'm glad they're picking up True Crime and Hitman and Tomb Raider and so on. But...I just want another mind blowing FF game! Is that too much to ask?

...Or KH3?

I'm always down for a little GTA in between Real GTA, so I'll definitely keep an eye on this one. The fact that I my money wont be funding the next Modern Shooter Map Pack is also a nice incentive.

Judging from the trailers this game tries to be every Hong Kong every flick of the 90s at once, which may or may not be a bad thing, but I'll wait out the reviews and/or a price drop before sinking my teeth into it.

Beautiful End:

Racecarlock:
You know, I think square enix is the company that we should be supporting. We keep asking EA, Activision, and Ubisoft to do this stuff over and over and over again, but they never listen. But, you who seems to have listened? Square enix. I mean, hell, they published just cause 2. People like that game, right? They're also publishing Hitman Absolution and Quantum Conundrum. Like them enough yet? Anyone around here like deus ex human revolution or batman arkham city? Yep, they published those too. They also published kane and lynch 2 and mindjack, but I think arkham city alone made up for that.

In fact, here's a list of games that square has published http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Square_Enix_video_games .

Add to that they don't put in any obnoxious DRM or anti-used games bullshit, and I think we've got a company here that actually listens to us. Hell, I bet we could even get the CEO or at least some staff people to set up accounts right on this site so they can be even more in touch.

I really am trying! I love the fact that this company takes risks and stuff. But for every successful game they release, there's two unsuccessful games. They can only keep that going on for so long.

I was a long-time fan. Well, kinda am still. And I believe that it's cool that they're trying new things and all. But their main focus should be their trademark titles like FF and KH. It's kinda sad to think they're failing at what they do best, which is FF games/RPG. See: FF14. Their last FF titles are good but...come on, let's not fool ourselves. They're not exactly as successful as previous FFs.

I'll still be interested in a game made by Square-Enix. that's how I played The Bouncer, Samurai Legend Musashi, Deus Ex, etc. I'm glad they're picking up True Crime and Hitman and Tomb Raider and so on. But...I just want another mind blowing FF game! Is that too much to ask?

...Or KH3?

If it's any consolation, it's apparently confirmed by Tetsuya Nomura that KH3 will be the next in the series.

As for mindblowing FF games...well, to be honest, the last one that I enjoyed was X, which came out a decade ago, so I've sort of written off the Final Fantasy series. I'll try XIII at some point, and I might enjoy it.

But really, it's good to see a company branch out from its comfort zone and try new things.

Edit: Also, if every company only focused on their flagship franchises, then we would never have any EA games besides Madden, most likely no other Bioware games besides KOTOR, Nintendo would only make Mario and Zelda...

Racecarlock:

i think they only distributed the arkham games WBgames were the publishers as far as im aware.

Who also published Bastion :D

Racecarlock:
Yep, they published those too. They also published kane and lynch 2 and mindjack, but I think arkham city alone made up for that.

Hey... what are you trying to say about Kane and Lynch? Huh?

Seriously, though... that is actually a good thing that they published Mindjack. At least they're trying new stuff. The fact that the game was a big pile of crap is a different matter. At least its an attempt.

gigastar:
All the while everyone else might as well ask if anyone at Squeenix knows how to make a game thats not an RPG.

Though he does seem to be onto something with using profits from successful titles to cover losses from experimental titles. Activision could learn something from that.

This model has been used in every other publishing related industry for a long, long time. I don't understand why game publishers have not caught on to the idea yet. They do it for movies, books, and music. Even TV shows to a lesser degree.

Zeckt:
Ah, this is the one that originated from true crime streets of LA which is a perfect example of a game being so awful but so damn fun at the same time with its ludicrous cheesiness and fourth wall breaking.

I still remember that one part of the game

Kung fu master : Look for them where the giant bird docks.
Hero : Whoa!! what you mean, master? I don't get it!!
Kung fu master : They are at the airport, you stupid fucking dumb ass!!!

I loved Streets of LA, I played it to death.

I also liked New York as well, but it was very glitchy. I once couldn't find where an enemy was. The game said that he was running and I had to catch him, but even though I was following only a few feet away according to the map, I couldn't see him. Then I happened to look up and I saw that he was running in the air around 50 feet above me, so I failed the mission because I couldn't catch him and my guns apparently couldn't hit him. I also got stuck in between doors when trying to enter buildings.

I also couldn't stand that practically every second word out of everybody's mouth was "Fuck".

I hope Square Enix can polish the franchise into something even more amazing, while removing glitches, and making better dialogue.

Activision Was Crazy To Drop Sleeping Dogs?

no Activision was crazy to try to slap the true crime title on it in the first place.

Grey Carter:
"All I know is, they've gotta be crazy. Because this game is just fantastic. The scale and scope of the game really encompasses all of everything you'd want to do in Hong Kong. The acting, the story, the characters are very deep."

Ha! Absolute bullshit. Now I know the game is just another lifeless pile to be swept under the rug. You know who else said pretty much the same exact thing? The guys who made "Call of Juarez: The Cartel". And we know how much of a glorious masterpiece that piece of shit was.

Any time any developer or publisher says something akin to "We want this story to be mature and deep and character driven," you know it's 100% bullshit and buzz words. Sure, Activision is batshit insane, doesn't mean I believe a single word coming out of your mouth. Show it to me with gameplay and results, not PR.

Jadedness level...rising...

You know what'll be fantastic? If Sleeping Dogs turns out to be goddamn awesome... And Activision tries some stupid shit to obtain profits as it's infringing on their True Crime franchise.

I would pay big money to see Square Enix and Activision throw down.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here