Xbox 360 Owns Nearly Half of Console Market

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Xbox 360 Owns Nearly Half of Console Market

Own a console? Odds are, it's an Xbox, says Microsoft Marketing Officer.

Yusuf Mehdi, Microsoft's Chief Marketing Officer, claims that Xbox 360 makes up 47% of the total console market, attributing that success to both the Kinect and Xbox LIVE. Xbox LIVE alone claims more than 40 million members, and Mehdi's figures put retail sales of the 360 since launch at more than $56 billion.

"To date," said Mehdi, outlining plans for the future, "our success with Xbox has been led by a box in the living room...With Xbox on Windows 8 devices, we rapidly accelerate the reach of Xbox entertainment from more than 60 million people to hundreds of millions of people worldwide." That's a huge customer pool, and Microsoft wants as many of them as it can grab.

Xbox holds a significant market share, but it's not all roses. Mehdi didn't choose to dwell on earlier financial statements, published back in April, that indicated Xbox revenues had dipped about 33%. There are also other legal problems that might impact on future Xbox sales within the US.

At the time, Microsoft claimed that a significant portion of the Xbox loss was due to increased research and development costs, with no indication as to where that R&D dosh might be going. Given that E3 is upon us, it's possible we're about to find out where some, at least, of that money went.

Sources: Technet, Gamasutra

It's funny cuz I just bought an Xbox 360 yesterday.
That model in fact.
Without the Kinnect of course.

They won't ban Xbox from the US at this point, considering how popular it is.

Most of those sales come from people who had to replace their Xboxs after the RROD

I have had mine for years, don't plan to replace it until the next-generation consoles come out.

Thats impressive being that its their second console. Although im sure alot of that maybe came from the fiasco that was PS3. I had the PS1 and PS2 and Xbox, loved them both to death, but the cost of the PS3 was at launch made the 360 more viable option. Plus most games are on both consoles now, GTA and FF being the main ones. Silent Hill, Metal Gear etc etc Consoles have very few console only titles, guess only Nintendo still do, though i don't like their games.

I will still buy the new Xbox as im a creature of habit, but with the PS4, as long as Sony dont take their consumers for granted (which i think they did with the PS3 as they had a huge market share with the PS2) they will pick up alot of their lost market shares. WiiU i think is doomed, especially after the Wii, most see it as a gimmick machine and unfortunately i feel this will reflect on the WiiU. Although i could be wrong as Nintendo has not given much info on the new console yet.

I know the 360 is doing well here in America but what about Europe and Japan?

SonOfVoorhees:
Thats impressive being that its their second console. Although im sure alot of that maybe came from the fiasco that was PS3. I had the PS1 and PS2 and Xbox, loved them both to death, but the cost of the PS3 was at launch made the 360 more viable option. Plus most games are on both consoles now, GTA and FF being the main ones. Silent Hill, Metal Gear etc etc Consoles have very few console only titles, guess only Nintendo still do, though i don't like their games.

I will still buy the new Xbox as im a creature of habit, but with the PS4, as long as Sony dont take their consumers for granted (which i think they did with the PS3 as they had a huge market share with the PS2) they will pick up alot of their lost market shares. WiiU i think is doomed, especially after the Wii, most see it as a gimmick machine and unfortunately i feel this will reflect on the WiiU. Although i could be wrong as Nintendo has not given much info on the new console yet.

I think the WiiU is a doomed machine, but not for the reason you're thinking. As it's designed right now, it's on par with the 360 and PS3. Microsoft plans on releasing their next console in 3 years. If the WiiU doesn't pick up as a super machine(which I don't really see it doing) right out of the gate, then I don't think it's going to catch up at all. Sony needs to stop jerking around their customers. While the PS3 isn't a bad console, it too long to get over the fact that the major selling feature was Blu-Ray.

How have they arrived at their numbers?

They've sold 67 million 360's, compared to 95 million Wii's, and 63 million PS3's. Are they saying 47% of consoles bought this year were 360's?

Well Sony sold 1.9 million PS3's last quarter, compared to 1.3 million 360's (although that was one month less time span than Sony)

What they're actually saying is that this month, of all consoles sold in the US, 47% of them were 360's. That's very far away from

Karloff:

EDIT:

SonOfVoorhees:
Thats impressive being that its their second console. Although im sure alot of that maybe came from the fiasco that was PS3.

It's actually more to do with PR spin :D See above, it's pretty fascinating though, this went through 2 major news sources before arriving here and neither of them actually tried to check the numbers

Yeah, but how many of those have been red-ringed and replaced by warranty/forced to buy a new one? I'm guessing about half.

Nice try, microsoft....

Nope, still dont own an Xbox, have no foreseeable reason to buy one within the next 3 years and have have a awe-inspiringly fairly low opinion of the 360 anyway due to all the hardware malfunctions.

Terminate421:

Yet they banned opium, which was even more popular in its time.

Karloff:

"Own a console? Odds are, it's a Wii, says Nintendo Marketing Officer."

"Own a console? Odds are, it's a PS3, says Sony Marketing Officer."

"Own a computer? Odds are, it's an iMac, says Apple Marketing Officer."

"Own a..."

You get the idea.

I've thoroughly enjoyed my 360. I used to have an old model and I fried the graphics processor out of it twice (one red segment). I bought a new one because mine was using the old optical reader and it didn't work sometimes.

No real complaints for many years of great gaming. :D

gigastar:
Nope, still dont own an Xbox, have no foreseeable reason to buy one within the next 3 years and have have a awe-inspiringly fairly low opinion of the 360 anyway due to all the hardware malfunctions.

I'm with ya there.

It makes me laugh when they say things like these, and I look at my living room and a 360 is nowhere to be found.

Good ole marketing spin for mid-week.

I'm honestly seeing vastly different numbers :

Wii = 94m
360 = 66m
PS3 = 64m
(Jan 2012, except PS3 ; March 2012 - Wikipedia)

As you can see the 360 doesn't even reach a third of all consoles sold last generation.

If you're only going to count one country, America, consoles of the last generation are:

Wii = 35m
360 = 25m
PS3 = 15m
(as of 2010 - Wikipedia.)

(Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft need to update their statistics)

Still, after 2 years, that's still not 47% - taking in account the inevitable increase in sales and the total overall world wide.

I find this statement ...

' With Xbox on Windows 8 devices, we rapidly accelerate the reach of Xbox entertainment '

... to be very alarming.
Am I wrong in seeing what little PC development we have die as developers will just let PC gamers play Xbox versions on the PC ? Rather than develop / port a specific PC verion ( port ) ?

Think about it ... if the Win8 takes off, and reaches the majority of PC gaming rigs why bother going to all the extra hassle when those guys can play the Xbox version.
MS wins, as all the games will be Xbox games, and not divided between Xbox on a console and Xbox on a PC sales... as well as nab that corner of the market for Xbox.
Publishers win , PC turns into a console , no more complicated multi hardware configuration nightmare of a platform that just refuses to die to cater to.

The only question remains though is what happens when the new Xbox (720?) comes out.

Meh , whatever its not like anything can be done about it in this gaming era.

BrotherRool:

They've sold 67 million 360's, compared to 95 million Wii's, and 63 million PS3's. Are they saying 47% of consoles bought this year were 360's?

Well Sony sold 1.9 million PS3's last quarter, compared to 1.3 million 360's (although that was one month less time span than Sony)

What they're actually saying is that this month, of all consoles sold in the US, 47% of them were 360's. That's very far away from

Karloff:

EDIT:

SonOfVoorhees:
Thats impressive being that its their second console. Although im sure alot of that maybe came from the fiasco that was PS3.

It's actually more to do with PR spin :D See above, it's pretty fascinating though, this went through 2 major news sources before arriving here and neither of them actually tried to check the numbers

That's what I was thinking too.
The last time I checked the numbers, the 360 & PS3 were pretty far behind in sales for both the Wii and how much the PS2 sold when it was as old.
Maybe they're counting units manufactured without taking into consideration that many 360s were bought (as Tizzy pointed out) to replace broken 360s.

gigastar:

Terminate421:

Yet they banned opium, which was even more popular in its time.

I don't care if you have a negative opinion about the xbox. But your example was pretty fucking poor.

Opium is harmful to human health. Therefore it has a relativly reasonable excuse to be banned. This is a product that has quite a bit of influence in our current market.

1. Despite this thread being about the Xbox...don't post it if you don't have it, let alone like it or want it. Thats like me going to a Burger king and shouting "Everyone go to the Chick-fil-a across the street!"

2. Loss of the Xbox360 will have traumatic results to the market. And before you say "Oh you could just switch to PC games or PS3 games". Fuck that. The Xbox is a great system that allows many media functions for a small fee. Which I am happy to pay.

3. Hardware malfunctions? Thats practically gone now. Lets ignore the fact that they've addressed the issue as best as any company could have handled it for the past 5 years.

As others have said, dodgy numbers and PR hype do not the truth make. Bit of a non-news story.

The Wii owns the largest share of the console market, having sold over 90 million units. Therefore, for Microsoft to own nearly half, that would leave the PS3 with next to nothing. When the truth is that the PS3 and 360 have sold near enough the same amount, with the 360 being ahead by a few million.

Incidentally:

Karloff:

Yusuf Mehdi, Microsoft's Chief Marketing Officer, claims that Xbox 360 makes up 47% of the total console market, attributing that success to both the Kinect and Xbox LIVE. Xbox LIVE alone claims more than 40 million members

All you have to do is connect your 360 to the internet, and boom, you're already connected to Xbox Live. Sure, it's a Silver Account, but you can still download demos, patches, and all that jazz. Surely all this shows is that there's a 20 million gap between consoles bought and how many are connected to the internet.

I wonder if that gap has anything to do with all those dodgy 360 units that people ended up buying replacements for... anyways, dodgy numbers all round. Nothing personal against Microsoft or the 360, but someone's obviously trying to fudge the numbers.

GonzoGamer:

That's what I was thinking too.
The last time I checked the numbers, the 360 & PS3 were pretty far behind in sales for both the Wii and how much the PS2 sold when it was as old.
Maybe they're counting units manufactured without taking into consideration that many 360s were bought (as Tizzy pointed out) to replace broken 360s.

I'm pretty sure the 67 million number includes manufactured units. Nah I got to the bottom of this, there are a total of 220 million current gen consoles worldwide (including broken ones), of which 67 million are 360's, which is less than 33%

It turns out the 47% is in sales this month in the US. Microsoft are pretty good with spin, there was an article on the Escapist last year saying that MS had sold 10 million 360's more than the PS3 but it turned out they were comparing December statistics for 360's with September statistics for the PS3. The gap is still 4 million which it's been ever since the 360 was released a year earlier.

I'm not particularly surprised the Escapist didn't catch onto it, because they were quoting two trusted news sources, I'm surprised the original two news sources didn't stop and think that considering there's still 30 million more Wii's than 360's it couldn't possibly be true that Microsoft has 47% of the total console market

BrotherRool:

Actually Microsoft "shipped" 1.3 million 360's and Sony "shipped" 1.9 million PS3's last quarter and for both it was between 1st January and 31st March. Sony just announces there financial results later than Microsoft does they don't have an extra month.

antigodoflife:

Wii = 94m
360 = 66m
PS3 = 64m

As you can see the 360 doesn't even reach a third of all consoles sold last generation.

If you're only going to count one country, America, consoles of the last generation are:

Wii = 35m
360 = 25m
PS3 = 15m

Still, after 2 years, that's still not 47% - taking in account the inevitable increase in sales and the total overall world wide.

31st of march 2012 LTD shipped numbers

Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_game_consoles

Wii - 95.85 million
source
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/historical_data/pdf/consolidated_sales_e1203.pdf

360 - 67.2 million
source
http://www.microsoft.com/Investor/EarningsAndFinancials/Earnings/SegmentResults/EntertainmentAndDevicesDivision/FY12/Q3/Kpi.aspx

PS3 - 63.9 million
source
http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdataps3_sale_e.html

360 > PS3 3.3 million units.

Terminate421:
2. Loss of the Xbox360 will have traumatic results to the market. And before you say "Oh you could just switch to PC games or PS3 games". Fuck that. The Xbox is a great system that allows many media functions for a small fee. Which I am happy to pay.

None of that matters. This is a patent lawsuit in the courts, not a bill in front of Congress. The Xbox's success just means Microsoft owes more damages for the infringement.

I don't think we'll see the Xbox banned for any significant length of time, but only because that costs Microsoft more money than the lawsuit is worth. They'll negotiate a settlement at that point, some sort of patent cross-licensing deal along with a sum of money paid to Motorola/Google.

OT: That claim is ridiculous. If you own a current gen console, and particularly if you own only one, you probably have a Wii.

Kumagawa Misogi:

antigodoflife:

Wii = 94m
360 = 66m
PS3 = 64m

Wii = 35m
360 = 25m
PS3 = 15m

Wikipedia

Wii - 95.85 million
source
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/historical_data/pdf/consolidated_sales_e1203.pdf

360 - 67.2 million
source
http://www.microsoft.com/Investor/EarningsAndFinancials/Earnings/SegmentResults/EntertainmentAndDevicesDivision/FY12/Q3/Kpi.aspx

PS3 - 63.9 million
source

Thank you for the much needed update and all however, why the "360 > PS3 3.3 million units" part?

I own one! Yay! Goooooo Xbox! I'm a statistic!

I don't really see the need to own anything else, really.

This is journalism, eh?

That said, being able to potentially play some Xbox 360 games on my PC is the one reason I'm looking forward to Windows 8. Being able to finally play Red Dead Redemption and a few other console exclusives would be mighty cool.

I just hope we're not going to lose more proper ports because of it.

antigodoflife:

Kumagawa Misogi:

antigodoflife:

Wii = 94m
360 = 66m
PS3 = 64m

Wii = 35m
360 = 25m
PS3 = 15m

Wikipedia

Wii - 95.85 million
source

360 - 67.2 million
source

PS3 - 63.9 million
source

Thank you for the much needed update and all however, why the "360 > PS3 3.3 million units" part?

Obviously a 360 fanboy me reckons, even though its not 47% market share, its still beating the ps3 on "shipped" units not sold.

nope!!

PS2 here :3

couldn't give me a 360.
well you could, but I'd pawn it and get something better, like a Snickers bar

Yal:

Terminate421:

None of that matters. This is a patent lawsuit in the courts, not a bill in front of Congress. The Xbox's success just means Microsoft owes more damages for the infringement.

I don't think we'll see the Xbox banned for any significant length of time, but only because that costs Microsoft more money than the lawsuit is worth. They'll negotiate a settlement at that point, some sort of patent cross-licensing deal along with a sum of money paid to Motorola/Google.

OT: That claim is ridiculous. If you own a current gen console, and particularly if you own only one, you probably have a Wii.

I figured that on my own. The counter post to me saying "sweet, its doing well, I just hope it isn't banned" was me getting peeved.

ASnogarD:

' With Xbox on Windows 8 devices, we rapidly accelerate the reach of Xbox entertainment '

... to be very alarming.
Am I wrong in seeing what little PC development we have die as developers will just let PC gamers play Xbox versions on the PC ? Rather than develop / port a specific PC verion ( port ) ?

Think about it ... if the Win8 takes off, and reaches the majority of PC gaming rigs why bother going to all the extra hassle when those guys can play the Xbox version.
MS wins, as all the games will be Xbox games, and not divided between Xbox on a console and Xbox on a PC sales... as well as nab that corner of the market for Xbox.
Publishers win , PC turns into a console , no more complicated multi hardware configuration nightmare of a platform that just refuses to die to cater to.

The only question remains though is what happens when the new Xbox (720?) comes out.

That's a bit implausible. Microsoft doesn't control the PC industry, only the windows OS.

Even if Windows 8 supports xbox games, the hardware mess that is the desktop PC is going to remain. The only thing microsoft can do about that is some kind of weird emulation-like thing that makes it look like all gaming PC's have identical specs, when in fact they don't.

Of course, to pull off that little stunt would mean that the minimum system requirements for running Xbox games on a PC would have to exceed the specs for an actual xbox, and that the presence of even more powerful hardware than the minimum required to run an Xbox game reliably on PC will simply be hidden from the games.

Seems a bit improbable.

Wow!

1) The Escapist should have caught the bad numbers. Everyone else did!

2) Do people really believe to ban or not to ban is based on popularity?

CrystalShadow:

ASnogarD:

... to be very alarming.

That's a bit implausible. Microsoft doesn't control the PC industry, only the windows OS.

Even if Windows 8 supports xbox games, the hardware mess that is the desktop PC is going to remain. The only thing microsoft can do about that is some kind of weird emulation-like thing that makes it look like all gaming PC's have identical specs, when in fact they don't.

Of course, to pull off that little stunt would mean that the minimum system requirements for running Xbox games on a PC would have to exceed the specs for an actual xbox, and that the presence of even more powerful hardware than the minimum required to run an Xbox game reliably on PC will simply be hidden from the games.

Seems a bit improbable.

Usually a emulated system is done by studying the chipsets used and experimenting with the code, as the owner of the console MS can make a emulator much easier and more efficient than is typical... and being that the 360 is mostly based on Dx9 technology and on older hardware than typical gaming rigs that would be able to support Win8 ... its feasable in that regards.
The only question is really what happens when the next xbox comes out.

MS doesnt need to own the PC to control it, if it makes it easy to play 360 games on a PC then publishers will simply not need to support the PC as a seperate platform and as it means savings and less hassle the publishers will jump at the chance.
Its not totally so out there that its on par with Martian invasions and such... its just a question on how the market will take it, and will PC development still be normal by indies / PC centric devs... if not how will THEY react, mass switch to Linux ?

I admit it is a looooongshot, but it isnt that difficult to imagine.

Terminate421:
1. Despite this thread being about the Xbox...don't post it if you don't have it, let alone like it or want it. Thats like me going to a Burger king and shouting "Everyone go to the Chick-fil-a across the street!"

Basically what this M$ rep has said is "Buy more Xbox's, everybody has one!", which is obviously not true. Im merely stating that, though not in a direct fashion.

The only traumatic impact on the market would be on Microsoft's bank accounts and specialist stores, the former which i know sees enough money through each year to fund countries, the latter of which is on hard times anyway. And when people do switch to PC or PS3 the shortfalls left by a hypothetical dissapearance of the Xbox will be filled out for retailers from increased PS3 and PC sales, and Steam will see ever more users.

And the peripheral services that the 360 enjoys are either also available on PS3, only cheaper as you dont have to pay for XBL, or not available because M$ probably nailed the providers with an exclusivity contract. As is the case that plauges most inde games where Microsoft is involved.

Also i dont remember remarking on wanting to see the Xbox brand die in a fire, though dont get me wrong i would like to see it happen, but im not sure why you would bring up a counter argument without the presence of the argument its meant to counter.

3. Hardware malfunctions? Thats practically gone now. Lets ignore the fact that they've addressed the issue as best as any company could have handled it for the past 5 years.

In all seriousness, they should not have existed to begin with. I dont know about you, but if a system i intended to take to market sporadically melted, carved up discs and would inevitably be broken by firmware updates i wouldnt let it out in that state, not send it out anyway to beat my biggest compeitior who did take the time to make sure thier systems worked as inteded.

gigastar:

Terminate421:

Basically what this M$ rep has said is "Buy more Xbox's, everybody has one!", which is obviously not true. Im merely stating that, though not in a direct fashion.

The only traumatic impact on the market would be on Microsoft's bank accounts and specialist stores, the former which i know sees enough money through each year to fund countries, the latter of which is on hard times anyway. And when people do switch to PC or PS3 the shortfalls left by a hypothetical dissapearance of the Xbox will be filled out for retailers from increased PS3 and PC sales, and Steam will see ever more users.

And the peripheral services that the 360 enjoys are either also available on PS3, only cheaper as you dont have to pay for XBL, or not available because M$ probably nailed the providers with an exclusivity contract. As is the case that plauges most inde games where Microsoft is involved.

Also i dont remember remarking on wanting to see the Xbox brand die in a fire, though dont get me wrong i would like to see it happen, but im not sure why you would bring up a counter argument without the presence of the argument its meant to counter.

In all seriousness, they should not have existed to begin with. I dont know about you, but if a system i intended to take to market sporadically melted, carved up discs and would inevitably be broken by firmware updates i wouldnt let it out in that state, not send it out anyway to beat my biggest compeitior who did take the time to make sure thier systems worked as inteded.

Okay, I can't take you seriously anymore. Anyone who uses M$ is fucking insane.

or retailers from increased PS3 and PC sales, and Steam will see ever more users.

Yeah, that only proves my damned point on this. In all seriousness, you've come down as an Microsoft hater with a passion for other things. There is no point to your posts, I saw those rather pointless and childish insults and just gave up on you.

Don't like Microsoft? Fine. Don't take it up with me.

Also, as for damages to the industry, go out onto the street and ask a complete stranger if they know that they can play Unreal Tournament on PC. There is a 90% chance that they won't have a fucking clue what you are talking about. This is where the Xbox is needed, it along with the Wii and PS3 have created a balance of consoles that each have different alternatives to what your scenario encompasses. Simplicity itself. So by removing it, you don't have increased sales in other areas, you just put a big hole in the industry and killed thousands of jobs.

Next time before you justify your reasons, think about the other things besides some big company gets hit. Microsoft isn't some machine thats out to kill the industry or even feed of humans. Its a mass of people getting their jobs done to the best of their ability, in this case HUMANS.

I'm not even going to read your next post now, congratulations.

TizzytheTormentor:
Most of those sales come from people who had to replace their Xboxs after the RROD

I have had mine for years, don't plan to replace it until the next-generation consoles come out.

Well there's that and the fact that most multiplatform games tend to sell the most on Xbox so if there aren't more Xbox's there's certainly more Xbox people buying games than other consoles.

Terminate421:

gigastar:

Terminate421:

Okay, I can't take you seriously anymore. Anyone who uses M$ is fucking insane.

or retailers from increased PS3 and PC sales, and Steam will see ever more users.

Yeah, that only proves my damned point on this. In all seriousness, you've come down as an Microsoft hater with a passion for other things. There is no point to your posts, I saw those rather pointless and childish insults and just gave up on you.

Don't like Microsoft? Fine. Don't take it up with me.

Also, as for damages to the industry, go out onto the street and ask a complete stranger if they know that they can play Unreal Tournament on PC. There is a 90% chance that they won't have a fucking clue what you are talking about. This is where the Xbox is needed, it along with the Wii and PS3 have created a balance of consoles that each have different alternatives to what your scenario encompasses. Simplicity itself. So by removing it, you don't have increased sales in other areas, you just put a big hole in the industry and killed thousands of jobs.

Next time before you justify your reasons, think about the other things besides some big company gets hit. Microsoft isn't some machine thats out to kill the industry or even feed of humans. Its a mass of people getting their jobs done to the best of their ability, in this case HUMANS.

So you call me insane for using shorthand typing, disregard half my points and fail to properly address the remaining ones and take my caustic sense of humor as childish insults. You obviously need things spooled out clearly.

Firstly my hatred is not directed at Microsoft, its at the Xbox 360 due to the immense issues i had with it before putting it out of its misery and buying a PS3. And for Games for Windows Live, which is the gaming world equivalent of the G-Wiz in the world of cars. Namely, a shitty repugnant excuse of a service/car that has only token reasons for existing and people still think its good to use, though for differing reasons.

Secondly if you were to go to 'a complete stranger' and ask them about Unreal Tournament, chances are they wouldnt know what you was talking about anyway because such a person might not even be a gamer. Never mind that UT is and always has been a realtively niche PC multiplayer shooter, where the 360 multiplayer shooters have always been Halo, Gears of War and Call of Duty(: The Latest One), not the shooter that was released on 360 nearly a year after its PC counterpart and over 6 months after its PS3 counterpart.

Third, you took it up with me that i didnt like Microsoft first, as my post was the first quoted.

And since you brought up the hypothetical balance of the console gaming market, it was balanced before the Xbox made its debut. The only reasons the original Xbox even managed to succeed in the shadow of the almighty PS2 was because it was the first console to introduce multiplayer to the home console market, and Halo: CE was just that good. All the existance of the 360 has really proven is that todays people will rage for half a decade on internet forums about which console is better. Just as yesterdays people still rage today over whether ITS or Unix was the better operating systems.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.