Prepare to Die with Dark Souls Console DLC

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Prepare to Die with Dark Souls Console DLC

The PC extras of Dark Souls will run you about $15 on consoles.

There's nothing PC gamers like more than a good challenge, which is why so many of them were pleased when Namco Bandai announced Dark Souls for their platform of choice. Dark Souls: Prepare to Die will bring its signature toughness, minimalist story, and haunting aesthetic to PCs along with Artorias of the Abyss a mini-expansion that will add new areas, weapons, and bosses to Dark Souls's already staggering mix. There was some concern that while PC gamers got a bevy of new content, console gamers would be left out in the cold. Thankfully, Namco Bandai has allayed those fears. PS3 and 360 owners can die contented (not to mention repeatedly), since Artorias will make its way to consoles as a DLC package.

Unfortunately, console gamers will have to wait a few months before getting ravaged by the new Dark Souls content. While Prepare to Die will hit PCs on August 24, the console DLC will not be available until this winter; whether that means late 2012 or early 2013 is, as yet, unclear. Furthermore, while PC gamers will have the content included in the full retail price of the game, those on the PS3 and 360 will have to shell out 1200 Microsoft points or $14.99 USD. For those of you who paid $60 at launch, this will add up to an expensive experience. Thanks to a price drop, though, newcomers will likely end up paying a similar amount for the console title plus DLC or the PC port.

Most people who played Dark Souls can attest that it is a brutal but rewarding experience. Is the additional punishment worth the promise of even greater reward for $15? Knowing the Dark Souls fanbase, the answer is probably "yes," but expect to hear it through a lot of gritted teeth and groans of frustration.

Source: IGN

Oh man, I want it NOW! Why can't we have it now!? This is why we can't have NICE THINGS!

Can't wait for this to come out on PC, even if I already have it for Xbox.

Marshall Honorof:

Most people who played Dark Souls can attest that it is a brutal but rewarding experience. Is the additional punishment worth the promise of even greater reward for $15? Knowing the Dark Souls fanbase, the answer is probably "yes," but expect to hear it through a lot of gritted teeth and groans of frustration.

Not really. Dark Souls isn't all that frustrating if you have a bit of patience and a decent memory.

It's always nice to hear that everyone gets the DLC...not just PC players...

I'm gonna have to get this, it sounds like the steam version wont use gfwl also which is awesome.

I was expecting the DLC to be available much sooner than winter. This is disappointing.
But I can't wait to explore what they added. I hope there's lots of ground for players to litter their corpses with.

RedEyesBlackGamer:

Marshall Honorof:

Not really. Dark Souls isn't all that frustrating if you have a bit of patience and a decent memory.

we are talking about humans...those are two characteristics highly uncommon among us ;)

OT: can't wait! this game sounds more and more awesome everytime i hear about it, definitely will be shellin out 60 bucks!

gmaverick019:

RedEyesBlackGamer:

Marshall Honorof:

we are talking about humans...those are two characteristics highly uncommon among us ;)

OT: can't wait! this game sounds more and more awesome everytime i hear about it, definitely will be shellin out 60 bucks!

he actually has a point.

There is no real point in even leveling up, if you do it is to put points for a bigger health bar.

with enough patience, and decent equipment, you can block, side-step, wail on a vast majority of enemies, including some bosses if you are quick enough at dodging.

I do love this game...even if I've probably put one or two cracks in my controller due to holding it white knuckled so many times.

Kalezian:

gmaverick019:

RedEyesBlackGamer:

he actually has a point.

There is no real point in even leveling up, if you do it is to put points for a bigger health bar.

with enough patience, and decent equipment, you can block, side-step, wail on a vast majority of enemies, including some bosses if you are quick enough at dodging.

trolling aside there..doesn't that make it a well designed game then? it's scary as hell as a low level, but with the right skill and patience, you can overcome just about damn near anything? while say, if you are having extreme trouble or just need some better loot, you can go defeat some other baddies to level up or get different loot then come back.

gmaverick019:

Kalezian:

gmaverick019:

he actually has a point.

trolling aside there..doesn't that make it a well designed game then? it's scary as hell as a low level, but with the right skill and patience, you can overcome just about damn near anything? while say, if you are having extreme trouble or just need some better loot, you can go defeat some other baddies to level up or get different loot then come back.

yes, actually.

Name one other game where it is a viable tactic to lure the AI to its death with its own bad pathfinding.

Seriously, if you want one of the better swords near the start of the game, thats one of the few ways you can get it.

Also, I think the fastest speed run for the game is something like 40 minutes, the guy basically ran past every enemy he could and only fought bosses if he couldn't get them to off themselves.

Dark Souls is that game where you know if you play it, you are going to rage, but you play it anyway because it makes actually beating it that much more savory.

But we all know the real reason you shouldn't level up. Its so you can invade other players games with your insanely awesome equipment when they had just found out how to save at the first bonfire.

When I sold my PS3 the only regret that I had was that I didn't want to part with 'Dark Souls', I'm more than thankful that this is getting a PC release, especially considering I didn't even get past the 15-hour mark. The extra content is an added bonus and I can do nothing but commend Namco Bandai on their efforts with this.

RedEyesBlackGamer:

Marshall Honorof:

Oh, trust me, I'm pretty sure I can still manage to mess it up somehow. I finished Demon's Souls last Saturday, started Dark Souls that afternoon, and promptly died and lost all my souls after the first boss when I got knocked off of a narrow ledge by rats. Twice. That is likely going to be the first of many such losses.

Meh too late and costs way too much, if they had made this and released it a lot sooner then I might have cared, but Dark souls is long behind me now and I really don't fell like going back to it.

I'm excited. I'll be getting the PC version (despite already owning the 360 version), but it's sweet to know that the consoles will be getting it too.

This is one game where $60 is well worth it, for me, and I have no issues with throwing more money FROM's way.

Kalezian:

Name one other game where it is a viable tactic to lure the AI to its death with its own bad pathfinding.

Starcraft. Though I wouldn't use that as an argument in favor of it.

Ah, I've been eyeing this for X360, but it's reassuring to see it'll be coming to a real platform.

Are they going to be charging PC buyers 15 dollars extra?
Sorry, I'm just bitter. PC gets the game AND the extra content in a package deal while the guys who supported it from the start get charged 15 bucks.
Yeah it's me bitching but why do the guys at the opposite end of your market get first consideration?

So how exactly might I go about obtaining this DLC? Would I have to buy it over the PSN? Call me paranoid, but I don't think I feel like giving my credit card number to Sony.

RedEyesBlackGamer:

AKA playing a tank with a lightning washing pole.

LastGreatBlasphemer:
Sorry, I'm just bitter. PC gets the game AND the extra content in a package deal while the guys who supported it from the start get charged 15 bucks.
Yeah it's me bitching but why do the guys at the opposite end of your market get first consideration?

because we are just that handsome.
but really, giving people who waited longer for the game the dlc for free is the same thing goty-editions do, what i don't get is why console players have wait so much longer, are they deliberately holding the content back or was it developed PC first?

Yay! I don't care that I have to pay extra I'm just glad I can get it. Now where did I leave Dark Souls...

You know what the keyboad needs? A joystick. I love PC gaming and the only way it could be any better is if the keyboard comes with a little joystick on the side for movement. Why hasn't this happened?

Actually looking forward to the DLC. I think something I read somewhere sums up my experience with Dark Souls "Every single thing you encounter is at least as qualified at killing you as you are at killing at"

LastGreatBlasphemer:

They don't need to charge the PC buyers $15 extra because all of the PC content will already be included with the core game and not downloaded via X-Box Live or PSN.

Regardless of how much the console players may have supported the game, Namco-Bandai would be foolish to give away the console DLC for free as they would incur considerable bandwidth charges from Microsoft and Sony.

You also have to consider that not everyone who has a console version of the game would have bought the game new and supported the publisher and developer, so for Namco-Bandai to pay for non-customers to download the DLC would be a terrible business decision akin to just throwing money away.

manic_depressive13:
So how exactly might I go about obtaining this DLC? Would I have to buy it over the PSN? Call me paranoid, but I don't think I feel like giving my credit card number to Sony.

Just use those money card things best buy sells.

I'm still on my first playthrough, so I must admit that this excites me.

Kalezian:
But we all know the real reason you shouldn't level up. Its so you can invade other players games with your insanely awesome equipment when they had just found out how to save at the first bonfire.

But people who do this will also burn in hell eternally, so that's the trade-off I guess.

Mr Companion:
You know what the keyboad needs? A joystick. I love PC gaming and the only way it could be any better is if the keyboard comes with a little joystick on the side for movement. Why hasn't this happened?

Xpadder plus any USB connected joystick.
Or Joy to Key.
It has happened, it's how I play Binding of Isaac.

Kalezian:

No.
That is not what you should be doing.
PvPers level up as far as they can and face off against people who are as/more powerful.
People who remain low level while having powerful gear just to prey on nublets are about as cool as grow up men that has arm-wrestling matches with 10 year old kids.

More content to one of the best games ever made? Yes please!

Hope they introduce new weapon types with different movesets instead of just reskins. Actually, I dont even have to hope for it, because they actually know what theyre doing.

Hannibal942:
I'm still on my first playthrough, so I must admit that this excites me.

Ahh... how I envy you. Theres no experience like the first playthrough of Dark Souls.

So glad I don't have to get this on PC now. I'll happily wait until the Winter for extra content to what is possibly one of my most loved games ever made....well, after 'No Luca No' of course. That fucking cat!

Well sounds like I am going to have to get grinding my pyro again, Gods I hoped that I could just carry on with my life, but noooo Dark Souls is like "YOU HAVE TO BEAT ME!" its like a dominatrix trying to be submissive...

Where the hell did my mind just go?! *shudders* Nevermind me, I think I should just go kills some things

This is how DLC should be done.

Not chopping out content and saying "Pay extra!"

They developed the original game with the whole intention of being a complete package. And then, when the game is successful, develop more content and say "Hey! We got more content if you want to buy it!"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.