UPDATE: Dracula Returns in Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 Trailer

The legendary vampire looks a little familiar.

A quick SPOILER WARNING: The trailer you see here to the right contains some fairly major spoilers for Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. Since we'll be discussing it in this news post, the text will also contain said spoilers. If you have not finished Lords of Shadow but intend to and would like to remain unspoiled, leave now.

Now that that's out of the way - to the right we have our first look at Konami's sequel to 2010's Lords of Shadow, which apparently takes place at some point between the game's ending and its epilogue. Said epilogue was one of the most genuinely surprising moments of the game, with the simultaneous revelation that it was sent in the modern present day, and that protagonist Gabriel Belmont had embraced immortality only to become twisted and darkened. He declared that he was now Dracula, bringing us to the trailer you see here.

Obviously, Gabriel isn't the (marginally) good guy he was in the first game anymore. He has a massive spooky castle, is attacked by an angry armed mob, and clearly relishes in the slaughter as he shows the mob why you don't mess with Dracula - and in case you didn't get the memo as to his newfound identity, the blood-drinking kind of gives it away. He also fights a giant medieval house-mech at some point; that part is kind of weird.

What makes this trailer interesting is the very end, when Gabriel faces down the one foe remaining. While we don't see his opponent's face, we do see that he has white hair and wears black-and-gold armor, which indicates that this just might be the Lords of Shadow incarnation of series fan-favorite Alucard, Dracula's son.

If this is Alucard, when did Gabriel-as-Dracula father him, and with who? His wife was dead in the first game, and there's no indication he had children. And how does the Lords of Shadow universe incorporate Trevor Belmont, star of the recently announced Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate? The Belmont clan isn't a quote-unquote "thing" in this timeline, as far as we know. The main Castlevania canon is notoriously twisted, and this really isn't helping matters.

For that matter, the real question about this trailer is a matter of who we're supposed to root for. Gabriel was the hero of the last game, but Dracula is one of the biggest all-time baddies in fiction. Perhaps we'll be playing as Dracula as he intends to genuinely do evil things, or perhaps we'll be Alucard trying to stop him.

Frankly, I don't know, but I'm kind of excited.

UPDATE: Konami has posted an official synopsis of the game's story on its website. Dracula, "weakened and yearning for release from his immortal bonds," must reacquire his old powers when faced with a terrifying new threat. So, it's kind of like Castlevania II, except you're Drac this time.

Dracula must also contend with the "famed Belmont clan," who seek his total destruction. This is confusing, because Dracula is Gabriel Belmont. And if he wants to die, why not let the other Belmonts do their job?

It's good to see that a fresh new continuity hasn't stopped Konami from making Castlevania canon headache-inducing.

Geez those knights should had invested in mobility over durability. Ok sure this whip attack happen in seconds but a quick duck down to the ground could of work? Also is it wise for that hero to face him in the field of corspes or does he prefer fresh blood?

blech, looks just as committee-designed as the last one did. I'm just gonna wait until Iga puts a soul back into the series.

i am really looking forward to it. loved the first game and hope they make a great sequel.

I guess it must violate international law to release a 2d game for major platforms today. That is the only reason I can see for not releasing a traditional SOTN type Castlevania game. People want that a hell of a lot more than they want this shit.

Fun fact: lords of shadow has sold the most copies of any castlevania ever, including surpassing symphony of the night.
Id also recommend not saying what people want, because after the copy past crap the ds and gba endured for years, I'd prefer lords of shadow.

Efrit_:
Fun fact: lords of shadow has sold the most copies of any castlevania ever, including surpassing symphony of the night.
Id also recommend not saying what people want, because after the copy past crap the ds and gba endured for years, I'd prefer lords of shadow.

Source please.

Symphony of the Night: 1.27m
Lords of Shadow: 0.45m

SotN has sold almost three times as many copies. Cite your sources.

Edit: And those SotN sales numbers appear to only include the PS1 version. It doesn't seem to include the LIVE/PSN ports or the Saturn port, which means that the SotN sales should be even higher than what they are. So SotN sold three times as many copies, 15 years ago, when limited to a single platform.

can't wait!

Amnestic:

Efrit_:

Source please.

Edit: And those SotN sales numbers appear to only include the PS1 version. It doesn't seem to include the LIVE/PSN ports or the Saturn port, which means that the SotN sales should be even higher than what they are. So SotN sold three times as many copies, 15 years ago, when limited to a single platform.

Does VGC take into account used sales as well? Because if not then that is a broken model. Yes SotN sold 1.5mil 15 years ago. But used sales also weren't that big back then.

Well...

MORE SPOILERS!

We know Gabriel survives all this. I mean, the epilogue from LoS kinda gave it away. So maybe we play as both. You know, like DMC4 did.

I've always been wanting to properly finish LoS but I couldn't get myself invested in the game as much as I would have wanted. The sequel looks awesome, though. :/

Krion_Vark:

Amnestic:

Efrit_:

Source please.

Does VGC take into account used sales as well? Because if not then that is a broken model. Yes SotN sold 1.5mil 15 years ago. But used sales also weren't that big back then.

Ok I have to throw my hat in here. Used sells arn't counted becuase they don't matter. What I mean is if one game gets 1 mil new sells and another gets 50 mil used the 1 mil new will get another go. The other might but since publishers don't see the used sells money thier less inclined to bother with it. The save grace here is every ones hated DLC. On the other side SON been out longer and had more releases while when it was brand new it most likly didnt see those figures while LOS pulled all it's in all on it's first go around.

Well considering that Lords of Shadow painted Satan as the main villain I'd call Gabriel/Dracula more of an anti-hero more than a straight up villain. The epilogue shows that he really just wants to die, having become a vampire out of necessity more than anything else.

Also, is he really a Belmont? I could've sworn it was said in the first game that he was basically abandoned as a baby outside the monastery that trained him.

....Fuck. I really wanna go back and play the first game again.

EDIT: Just looked on the site and it says that this will be the conclusion to the Lords of Shadow saga. This worries me, if they don't in some way follow on from that epilogue I'm gonna be quite pissed.

Krion_Vark:

Amnestic:

Efrit_:

Source please.

...which might be relevant if the numbers were closer. Like I said, SotN sold almost three times as many as LoS. Every single new copy would have had to go through at least two additional used sales to make up the difference and - once again - that's not including the Saturn, LIVE or PSN SotN ports.

And that's even if you accept used sales as counting towards total overall sales which from a publisher/developer perspective you might not. After all, you're not getting any money from it so it's a poor mark of success.

IceStar100:
On the other side SON been out longer and had more releases while when it was brand new it most likly didnt see those figures while LOS pulled all it's in all on it's first go around.

From my links, you can click on the country/area titles to get a breakdown of sales for the first ten weeks. Sadly SotN only has Japan. Comparing the two Japanese releases though:-

LoS after 10 weeks: 11,596
SotN after 10 weeks: 184,104

Now you might say "Well Japan only encompassed 2.9% of LoS sales while it encompassed 16.5% of SotN" and you'd be right. However if you compare LoS USA (63.3% of sales) to SotN Japan...

LoS after 10 weeks: 124,364

IceStar100:

Krion_Vark:

Amnestic:

Source please.

Ok I have to throw my hat in here. Used sells arn't counted becuase they don't matter. What I mean is if one game gets 1 mil new sells and another gets 50 mil used the 1 mil new will get another go. The other might but since publishers don't see the used sells money thier less inclined to bother with it. The save grace here is every ones hated DLC. On the other side SON been out longer and had more releases while when it was brand new it most likly didnt see those figures while LOS pulled all it's in all on it's first go around.

15 years ago people weren't just waiting on Modern Warfare 1.4 either. SotN was the type of game people liked back then.

Oh also check your sources because it sold .74 mil on the PS3 the .45 was 360 Only
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/35059/castlevania-lords-of-shadow/

Amnestic:

Krion_Vark:

Amnestic:

Source please.

...which might be relevant if the numbers were closer. Like I said, SotN sold almost three times as many as LoS. Every single new copy would have had to go through at least two additional used sales to make up the difference and - once again - that's not including the Saturn, LIVE or PSN SotN ports.

And that's even if you accept used sales as counting towards total overall sales which from a publisher/developer perspective you might not. After all, you're not getting any money from it so it's a poor mark of success.

IceStar100:
On the other side SON been out longer and had more releases while when it was brand new it most likly didnt see those figures while LOS pulled all it's in all on it's first go around.

From my links, you can click on the country/area titles to get a breakdown of sales for the first ten weeks. Sadly SotN only has Japan. Comparing the two Japanese releases though:-

Now you might say "Well Japan only encompassed 2.9% of LoS sales while it encompassed 16.5% of SotN" and you'd be right. However if you compare LoS USA (63.3% of sales) to SotN Japan...

You do know you have the Xbox only one right.
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/35059/castlevania-lords-of-shadow/
thats the one for the PS3

wait a minute I've seen that sword at the end before but where? it seems familiar somehow -gasps- zobek! that's his sword! I'd know it anywhere -off topic- -i know this because I have a thing for swords sometimes long swords sometimes samurai swords anyway so Gabriel as Dracula is about fight zobek or a descendant of zobek interesting very interesting

Amnestic:

Add in 73,256 for 10 weeks you get 84,850 which is still shy of how many were sold in Japan after 10 weeks.
As for the one for America vs Japan for LoS vs SotN it goes even further.
Adding 130,613 to the total sales. Going to 254,977.

You said to cite your sources. Well I used your source but I also clicked a thing on your source and got a completely other platform that you failed to take into account for the numbers.

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/35059/castlevania-lords-of-shadow/USA/

If you want to debate platforms however. The PS3 sold 302,185 in the first 10 weeks across the globe while the Xbox sold 229,817.

So yes used sales do come into play in this one. I could also make the argument for Piracy but Console pirates aren't as many as the Computer ones.

It's obvious who the white-haired guy is. it's Samanosuke!

John Funk:

The legendary vampire looks a little familiar.

A quick SPOILER WARNING: The trailer you see here to the right contains some fairly major spoilers for Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. Since we'll be discussing it in this news post, the text will also contain said spoilers. If you have not finished Lords of Shadow but intend to and would like to remain unspoiled, leave now.

Now that that's out of the way - to the right we have our first look at Konami's sequel to 2010's Lords of Shadow, which apparently takes place at some point between the game's ending and its epilogue. Said epilogue was one of the most genuinely surprising moments of the game, with the simultaneous revelation that it was sent in the modern present day, and that protagonist Gabriel Belmont had embraced immortality only to become twisted and darkened. He declared that he was now Dracula, bringing us to the trailer you see here.

Obviously, Gabriel isn't the (marginally) good guy he was in the first game anymore. He has a massive spooky castle, is attacked by an angry armed mob, and clearly relishes in the slaughter as he shows the mob why you don't mess with Dracula - and in case you didn't get the memo as to his newfound identity, the blood-drinking kind of gives it away. He also fights a giant medieval house-mech at some point; that part is kind of weird.

What makes this trailer interesting is the very end, when Gabriel faces down the one foe remaining. While we don't see his opponent's face, we do see that he has white hair and wears black-and-gold armor, which indicates that this just might be the Lords of Shadow incarnation of series fan-favorite Alucard, Dracula's son.

If this is Alucard, when did Gabriel-as-Dracula father him, and with who? His wife was dead in the first game, and there's no indication he had children. And how does the Lords of Shadow universe incorporate Trevor Belmont, star of the recently announced Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate? The Belmont clan isn't a quote-unquote "thing" in this timeline, as far as we know. The main Castlevania canon is notoriously twisted, and this really isn't helping matters.

For that matter, the real question about this trailer is a matter of who we're supposed to root for. Gabriel was the hero of the last game, but Dracula is one of the biggest all-time baddies in fiction. Perhaps we'll be playing as Dracula as he intends to genuinely do evil things, or perhaps we'll be Alucard trying to stop him.

Frankly, I don't know, but I'm kind of excited.

UPDATE: Konami has posted an official synopsis of the game's story on its website. Dracula, "weakened and yearning for release from his immortal bonds," must reacquire his old powers when faced with a terrifying new threat. So, it's kind of like Castlevania II, except you're Drac this time.

Dracula must also contend with the "famed Belmont clan," who seek his total destruction. This is confusing, because Dracula is Gabriel Belmont. And if he wants to die, why not let the other Belmonts do their job?

It's good to see that a fresh new continuity hasn't stopped Konami from making Castlevania canon headache-inducing.

I know the game has been out for a while, but you could've at least gave us a spoiler warning. I mean the storyline to these games aren't what you'd call engaging, but this being sort of a reboot of the franchise it would've been nice to have a bit of warning.

BrionJames:

John Funk:

I know the game has been out for a while, but you could've at least gave us a spoiler warning. I mean the storyline to these games aren't what you'd call engaging, but this being sort of a reboot of the franchise it would've been nice to have a bit of warning.

Like that one right up there in the first paragraph?

Actually, I thought the white haired person with the sword was a woman >.>

Anyways, anyone feel a bit... Eh, "iffy" over Gabriel's new look? I get that vampires are supposed to also be "creatures of seduction" and all that, but I honestly think he looked more "regal" and awesome as a human, he just seems a bit to... Well, I guess you could say "soft faced" here.

I mean when you compare someone like this...

To someone like this.

In my opinion the first one looks much more manly than the second.

Did any guys play the DLC? he does not call himself Dracula but Dracul, which means dragon he use it reference to himself at end DLC to express his feel about being more powerful then the Forgotten One, When kill the Forgotten One he took all his power and sovereign right of being lord of chaos plane.

Being vampire only game him some power rest is all lordly soul sucking demonic.

Witty Name Here:
Actually, I thought the white haired person with the sword was a woman >.>

Anyways, anyone feel a bit... Eh, "iffy" over Gabriel's new look? I get that vampires are supposed to also be "creatures of seduction" and all that, but I honestly think he looked more "regal" and awesome as a human, he just seems a bit to... Well, I guess you could say "soft faced" here.

I mean when you compare someone like this...

To someone like this.

In my opinion the first one looks much more manly than the second.

He Chuck Norris hairy and manly if compare to older version of series.

If this trailer has anything to do with the final product, I think it will be less compared with God of War like the first game, and more compared with Dinasty Warriors and Onimusha.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here