Explore Studio Ghibli's Ni no Kuni Next January

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Explore Studio Ghibli's Ni no Kuni Next January

A boy journeys into another world to save his mother.

Legendary Japanese animation genius Hayao Miyazaki's Studio Ghibli has produced some of the most beloved - and frankly, best - animated features of all time. Developed by Professor Layton and White Knight Chronicles developer Level 5, Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch is the closest we may ever get to experiencing a playable version of one of Studio Ghibli's imaginative worlds - and it's coming out in the West early next year.

In Ni no Kuni (literally "Second Country," sometimes called "The Other World,"), a thirteen-year-old boy named Oliver ventures into a world parallel to his own to try and bring his mother back from death. Presumably there will be lessons learned in ways both heartwarming and tearjerking, because, well, it's Studio Ghibli. That's sort of their schtick.

The cel-shaded style looks great on its own, and is heads-and-tails above any cel-shading we've seen previously, though it stands out when juxtaposed with the gorgeous fully-animated stuff done by the actual Studio Ghibli.

Unfortunately, the dub voice acting doesn't really seem up to par. Rather, the supporting cast seems well-acted, but the main characters and especially Oliver feel like they could get grating over the course of an RPG.

Thankfully, Ni no Kuni will feature the original Japanese voice acting as an option right from the outset.

Look for it on January 22nd in the States, and January 25th in Europe.

Source: IGN

Read "Studio Ghibli" - one of the best animation house OF ALL TIME...
Then I read Level 5 - makers of Dark Cloud 1/2 and Rogue Galaxy...

My pants got a little tighter.
:3

cool i wonder what the game play is like but i may get it anyway

Tony2077:

Agreed. Might have to buy purely on principle of the fact that a Studio Ghibli-based video game is like a wet dream of everyone who's into both gaming and anime.

You forgot to mention that the score is done by Ghibli regular, Joe Hisaishi. Only adding more Ghibliness to the package.

Those two kids sound boring as fuck though. You would expect a certain cartoonish exuberance in the voice acting of a game such as this, but they sound like they're on freaking ritalin.

WhiteTigerShiro:

Tony2077:

Agreed. Might have to buy purely on principle of the fact that a Studio Ghibli-based video game is like a wet dream of everyone who's into both gaming and anime.

i plan to buy the new anime that came out from them when i get access to the car again the secret world of arrietty

Tony2077:

WhiteTigerShiro:

Tony2077:

i plan to buy the new anime that came out from them when i get access to the car again the secret world of arrietty

Arrietty was spectacular. A prime example of the kind of imagination I'm glad to see writing for a video game.

WhiteTigerShiro:

Tony2077:

WhiteTigerShiro:

Arrietty was spectacular. A prime example of the kind of imagination I'm glad to see writing for a video game.

i recall the fox news thing about it

Tony2077:

Fox News is a joke. They're basically PETA, except about politics instead of animals.

WhiteTigerShiro:

Tony2077:

Fox News is a joke. They're basically PETA, except about politics instead of animals.

they are a joke but it was funny watching them attack arrietty and the lorax and knowing people out are taking them at there word

Tony2077:

WhiteTigerShiro:

Tony2077:

they are a joke but it was funny watching them attack arrietty and the lorax and knowing people out are taking them at there word

A little funny, but also rather scary to think that there are people out there who take them seriously (which is another trait that makes them like PETA).

WhiteTigerShiro:

Tony2077:

WhiteTigerShiro:

A little funny, but also rather scary to think that there are people out there who take them seriously (which is another trait that makes them like PETA).

well its not that scary until you realizes there are more people out there like this but its not PETA or fox news they take seriously

I was really glad to hear the original japanese voice acting was available.

I don't know what it is with the japanese, but they can't seem to get any decent English voice actors.

John Funk:

Unfortunately, the dub voice acting doesn't really seem up to par. Rather, the supporting cast seems well-acted, but the main characters and especially Oliver feel like they could get grating over the course of an RPG.

Thankfully, Ni no Kuni will feature the original Japanese voice acting as an option right from the outset.

Still 100x better than a Disney dub.

Apparently I need to watch more anime and play more video games, but I knew that already.

Tony2077:

WhiteTigerShiro:

Tony2077:

That actually keeps me up at night. But Fox's true purpose is to provide material foe John Stewart.

why must it come out in januray, i want it now D:

AKDread:

its January so i can have money from my seasonal work

This is one game ive been waiting with baited breath for ages... its something im really keen on having.

W-whoa whoa. A game? This is a GAME?! That's trippy

edit: PS3 gets all the awesome J-rpgs... *whines*

John Funk:

Look for it on January 22nd in the States, and January 25th in Europe.

Aaaaaaaaand this game just made the Very. Fucking. Top. Of my getlist.

Seriously, I loved the idea, the people working on it, everything. But then, there was the dubbing. Now I know it won't be a problem. Take my fucking money.

This looks absolutely stunning. I'm heartbroken that it's PS3 exclusive. I may have to buy it as a 'present' to anyone I know with a console then spend a LOT of time round their house... it's a plan.

antipunt:
W-whoa whoa. A game? This is a GAME?! That's trippy

edit: PS3 gets all the awesome J-rpgs... *whines*

i know which is why i got one but i still miss out on the few good ones the wii gets

AKDread:

Hopefully to give it polishing time to fix up some of those dreadfully stilted character models. They are very close but not quite there yet. If they aren't working on it now I'm sure somebody will take a look and then see. When somebody was talking I had to strain my eyes just to see the mouths moving at all.

Also, plenty of time to get a PS3 emulator out, hopefully!

I am throwing money at the screen but nothing is happening.

Can I pre-order it now?

This looks like everything I've always wanted in a game with a healthy dose of everything I've always wanted in an anime sprinkled on top.

Baldr:

John Funk:

Still 100x better than a Disney dub.

It's amazing how the Disney dubs of their movies and the kids in this trailer can take something otherwise very good and make it seem so bland, or even annoying. Especially with the movies it's almost like their policy is to pick voice actors based on being famous/recognizable rather than actually being good at their job and suited for the role.

Eclpsedragon:
Can I pre-order it now?

This looks like everything I've always wanted in a game with a healthy dose of everything I've always wanted in an anime sprinkled on top.

A place like amazon has it. i checked the .ca part and its there so the .com side will have it. here's the kicker they won't charge you till its shipped out. its weird for me to even say that since i use to hate online stores but there useful at time when they don't charge an arm and a leg

Well, I'm buying a PS3.

And after a little research (on something that you'd think the article would mention), I find out this is going to be PS3 exclusive. This one just might break me on not wanting to buy a PS3... but I dunno. I got 6 months to mull it over.

Oh god I want it...I want it so bad. Oh god, this is sooo going on my...

WhiteTigerShiro:
PS3 exclusive

FUCK. WHY, GOD, WHY MUST YOU BE SO CRUEL?! FIRST JOURNEY, NOW THIS?! 'cries in corner'

WhiteTigerShiro:
And after a little research (on something that you'd think the article would mention), I find out this is going to be PS3 exclusive. This one just might break me on not wanting to buy a PS3... but I dunno. I got 6 months to mull it over.

well i already own a ps3 so that isn't a problem now it being fun despite all the stuff it has going for it is another matter

Tanis:

Only a little tighter?! :P

This is seriously awesome news!

Hollyday:
PS3 exclusive.

That, however, just made my pants fit correctly again. Being a PC gamer is both a blessing and a curse...

KefkaCultist:

Tanis:

This is seriously awesome news!

Hollyday:
PS3 exclusive.

That, however, just made my pants fit correctly again. Being a PC gamer is both a blessing and a curse...

stuff like this makes me glad i don't stick to pc or just one console

KefkaCultist:

The white mans curse. :P

At least you've got the 'new' Ys game.

Kinda wishing the DS version would come out in the US, but eh, you get what you get.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here