Sony: Wii U Launch Lead Isn't Important

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Sony: Wii U Launch Lead Isn't Important

The first next-gen console to hit the market won't necessarily be the best.

At least, according to Sony's Senior VP of Product Development and Worldwide Studios, Scott Rohde. When he was asked whether the fact Nintendo is well on its way to releasing the Wii U, while Sony has yet to announce a next-gen console would present any challenges, Rohde responded with an emphatic no.

"Not at all. That's the simple answer," he told Joystiq. "In very similar fashion to the way I'm talking about game development, we have a very strong vision in what we believe we're gonna do for the next generation. And we're not talking about it at all yet."

Sony, and indeed Microsoft's, decision to let Nintendo dip its toe in the next-gen pool first, could go either way. Arguably, the year long gap between the launch of the Xbox 360 and the PS3 gave Microsoft the opportunity to gobble up an unprecedented amount of market share, presenting the company with an initial sales advantage that Sony has only just managed to overcome. On the other hand, the Dreamcast (single tear) failed miserably despite having a one year advantage over its main competitor, the PS2.

"The reality is let's build a great machine," said Rohde. "And we'll talk about it then."

Source: Joystiq

I actually played a on a Dreamcast my friend owned. It was pretty fun.

I feel kind of bad I couldn't have gotten it along with my PS2, but what can ya do? Hindsight is 20/20 and all that.

I don't wish its fate on the Wii U, or any game system for that matter.

It might not be the best, but it does give a huge advantage.

Not every first console is a winner, but if they were the first out of the gate they'd go wild over it.

What I hate about it is that now that Nintendo has this stupid new console out, Sony and Microsoft just HAVE to present the next gen. console by next year. So we're talking about another year and a half of life for our PS3s and 360s, more or less. I'm just not ready to trade in my consoles.

The WiiU isn't even that innovative. I said it before and I'll say it again: it's gimmicky, not innovative, just like the 3DS.

The WiiU is an console equivalent to a PC tablet.

Hell, just what are the tech specs for this fucking abomination?

If it presents options not already given by other consoles and is advertised constantly, yeah it'll have a fair shot. Advertising is about a good 75% of getting your product off the shelves though.

While having a lead is advantageous, it's equally advantageous to have more cutting edge tech on your side. Sony's biggest disadvantage is that when they finally release the system it will most likely be expensive and probably sell at a loss as well. We'll see what happens though.

I take issue with the subject of this article though. Even if the idea of the WiiU being out first made him shit his pants every time the idea occurred to him, he wouldn't say it bothered him. If he woke in the night with the cold sweats and night terrors because he dreamed about the significant launch lead, he would say publicly he needs to cut back on the caffeine.

It's not about when you can buy it what what you can do with it.

I wouldn't be worried either if that was the Wii U was my competitor. The Wii was a financial windfall, but a failure in every other aspect. They're currently on track to do the same thing again, except, lightning doesn't usually strike twice.

The Dreamcast failed miserably because SEGA brought it to the market a year too late in most of the world (it came out in Japan in '98) and gave up too soon. In spite of all the PS2 hype in 2000, The Dreamcast was still selling rather well... just not well enough to make up for the tremendously bad financial situation they'd spent most of the '90s getting themselves into.

P.S. Thanks

Well the Wii was out before the Xbox 360 and the PS3 but that didn't stop the Xbox from dominating in terms of market share and things like sales. The Wii did so well however because it appeals to the casual end of the market.

DVS BSTrD:

You mean run games that are on par with the 360 and PS3?

This is a "next-gen" hardcore console that's only slightly better than current gen consoles that came out several years ago. I don't see this working out well for Nintendo, because as soon as either Sony or Microsoft get to the market, the actual next gen consoles are going to blow away this thing.

vxicepickxv:

DVS BSTrD:

This is a "next-gen" hardcore console that's only slightly better than current gen consoles that came out several years ago. I don't see this working out well for Nintendo, because as soon as either Sony or Microsoft get to the market, the actual next gen consoles are going to blow away this thing.

Except everyone will have to spend billions on just the graphics, meaning the gameplay will mostly be quicktime events, and even with a lot of fans the costs won't be recouped, dev teams will get dissolved and the industry will collapse again.

vxicepickxv:

DVS BSTrD:

leet_x1337:
Exactly! People will by Wii-U because Nintendo are smart enough to ship it with new built-in features and a decent library. But as soon as the competition releases a better console...

[quote="vxicepickxv" post="7.377978.14759066"]Except everyone will have to spend billions on just the graphics, meaning the gameplay will mostly be quicktime events, and even with a lot of fans the costs won't be recouped, dev teams will get dissolved and the industry will collapse again.

Which is why I really don't think that developers are ready for a new generation just yet.

Zipa:
Well the Wii was out before the Xbox 360 and the PS3 but that didn't stop the Xbox from dominating in terms of market share and things like sales. The Wii did so well however because it appeals to the casual end of the market.

no that was the Xbox 360 that came out first

Can't really compare the Wii U with the Dreamcast. First off this console cycle has gone longer than normal. Second, there isn't a gigantic format change and if there is one it is from disc to digital. True there is blu-ray but that is sony dedicated format. Finally, while there is a hardware upgrade there isn't a huge boom in terms of television standards. You can look at it like Nintendo is catching up with HD but in contrast in the US alone the majority of consumers still own a SD style television set.

Nice try, Sony, but we already know too much about the PS4 specs to believe that you guys will be able to put out something that will completely outperform the Wii U.

I suppose you could sell something like that by taking huge losses with each sold system because of super expensive state of the art components.. Oh wait, you are already in deep financial trouble.

And let's be honest here, a substantial amount of the PS2's success can be traced to how easily it could be hacked to play pirated software. (An "advantage" the DC didn't have, for example). <.<

Nice try, though.

Davroth:
Nice try, Sony, but we already know too much about the PS4 specs to believe that you guys will be able to put out something that will completely outperform the Wii U.

I suppose you could sell something like that by taking huge losses with each sold system because of super expensive state of the art components.. Oh wait, you are already in deep financial trouble.

And let's be honest here, a substantial amount of the PS2's success can be traced to how easily it could be hacked to play pirated software. (An "advantage" the DC didn't have, for example). <.<

Nice try, though.

They are in financial trouble with the other sectors of Sony then the gaming division as a whole.

eyepatchdreams:

They are in financial trouble with the other sectors of Sony then the gaming division as a whole.

So you are saying the company as a whole making tremendous losses for several years in a row wont have any impact on Sony's gaming division?

Davroth:

eyepatchdreams:

So you are saying the company as a whole making tremendous losses for several years in a row wont have any impact on Sony's gaming division?

The gaming division of Sony is really the only profitable sector they currently own. Will it bleed over to the gaming division? I will say its a possibility and I don't see it yet happening in the foreseeable future.

If Sony wants to cut the loses they need to rethink the strategy on the marketing side and cut off some of the Sony products that don't sell very well. Also, Wouldn't hurt if they dropped the price of the Sony TVS.

You remember how Sony and Microsoft let Nintendo go first with motion controls? Yeah...

In the case of the left hand not knowing what the right is doing, Sony is unknowingly aiming a gun at its own foot.

eyepatchdreams:

Davroth:

eyepatchdreams:

The gaming division of Sony is really the only profitable sector they currently own. Will it bleed over to the gaming division? I will say its a possibility and I don't see it yet happening in the foreseeable future.

If Sony wants to cut the loses they need to rethink the strategy on the marketing side and cut off some of the Sony products that don't sell very well. Also, Wouldn't hurt if they dropped the price of the Sony TVS.

But if you want to sell systems at a loss to establish a consumer base, you need a lot of money. I'm not so sure the gaming division of Sony can pony up that money all by themselves. (If it was MS, they could do pretty crazy stuff with their Windows money for sure)

But that's really besides the point. We pretty much already know the range of hardware that's going to be in the next Sony console, and it's not lightyears ahead of the hardware of the Wii U.

Davroth:

eyepatchdreams:

Davroth:

But if you want to sell systems at a loss to establish a consumer base, you need a lot of money. I'm not so sure the gaming division of Sony can pony up that money all by themselves. (If it was MS, they could do pretty crazy stuff with their Windows money for sure)

But that's really besides the point. We pretty much already know the range of hardware that's going to be in the next Sony console, and it's not lightyears ahead of the hardware of the Wii U.

The PS3 is finally profitable for Sony and I expect a price cut later this year. It all depends on what kind of profit Sony is seeing in the gaming division and how much they are willing to spend. I don't expect the next Xbox or PS3 to be MAJOR powerhouses to any degree.

I have to admit that Nintendo's early release is very similar to the story about DreamCast. I have to hand it to Sony that for once they are making a good point, but their plan of keeping PS3 for another 4 years (I haven't heard their newest updates on when they plan to release PS4) will leave them a massive step behind. If they go through with that plan they might manage to crush the market when they finally decide to join Microsoft and Nintendo, but as it is now it's anyone's guess. Sony has been able to do just fine sticking with outdated systems. There are still a few games coming out for the PS2 meaning that market still isn't abandoned. True, the number of games dwindle each year (I think there were 3 games scheduled for 2012 combined), but they're still releasing them. Sony has had some struggled making the PS3 a success, but Sony's in it for the long run.

Beautiful End:

The WiiU isn't even that innovative. I said it before and I'll say it again: it's gimmicky, not innovative, just like the 3DS.

The difference between a gimmick and an innovation is how it's implemented, and how many people use it. If there's enough GOOD third-party games that actually use it for something then it should be considered a success. Only time will tell.

DVS BSTrD:
Which is why I really don't think that developers are ready for a new generation just yet.

The ones trying to make advancement in AI and world-building are, but that's because they do actually need the extra power to make the game they want beyond flash.

Dryk:

Beautiful End:

The difference between a gimmick and an innovation is how it's implemented, and how many people use it. If there's enough GOOD third-party games that actually use it for something then it should be considered a success. Only time will tell.

Indeed, time will tell. I'm just disappointed by Nintendo. it seems they had a good idea with the Wii, the whole motion controllers. Even Sony and Microsoft copied them! But this is like a step backwards; as if they're trying to fit in what with the tablet/controller hybrid and adding better third party games to their library.

Anyway, it is too early judge, I'll agree. But right now, the WiiU looks like a Wii and a DS combined. To me. And that's not appealing at all. I can already do that, play with both. So...yeah.

No but making sure your console ain't priced at 600 dollars and not leaving your portable version in the dust is.

008Zulu:
You remember how Sony and Microsoft let Nintendo go first with motion controls? Yeah...

In the case of the left hand not knowing what the right is doing, Sony is unknowingly aiming a gun at its own foot.

I wouldn't say they 'let' Nintendo go first. Nintendo went first, and Sony and Microsoft saw how well they were doing and went 'gotta get me some of that' with mixed results.

Personally, I hope Sony rejects motion controls with the PS4, and leave Microsoft and Nintendo wrestling over the casuals market while they actually have games people want to play without flailing their arms around like a moron.

Haha, that guy is so wrong. Well he's right that the Wii U may not be "the best"...in fact it almost certainly won't be. But it will be the most successful. By a long way. Sony and Microsoft are gonna be on the back foot for the entire lifespan of the next gen. Nintendo will have the largest market share, the biggest head start, the biggest games library, lowest price, most powerful console at its time of launch and backward compatibility.

Again, going purely by specs, the WiiU is just a very, very late entry into this current generation of consoles.

Their biggest names for the WiiU are games that came out a while ago (And likely done better) on the other consoles.

Beautiful End:
What I hate about it is that now that Nintendo has this stupid new console out, Sony and Microsoft just HAVE to present the next gen. console by next year. So we're talking about another year and a half of life for our PS3s and 360s, more or less. I'm just not ready to trade in my consoles.

I get you mate, hell, I'm only set to get a PS3 in a month and will get less out of it than most people, but there is nothing bad about it. We need the next gen, the PS3 has had a long, LONG run and same for the 360. It's time to move on, get some better hardware and open up a ton of possibilities for... well every platform, even the PC will benefit from it.

It's not just the graphics either (but yes, it's also time for stuff like CryEngine to become a reality and not just a ton of pretty videos). We're getting to that point where they're slowly reaching their peak and we can do more than that. More and more games are becoming more CPU reliant than graphically demanding. We need more processing power for stuff like better AI, livelier worlds and so on.

OT: I just hope one thing and that's that the new generation consoles will not try to incorporate a control system to support the currently standard MMOs. They need to start dying out and we need to move away from the hotkey system and onto better combat systems and the consoles could have a large role in that as they expand the possible market. The shooters are one thing, but a real (real, not the current piss-poor excuses for it) action combat MMO could easily be a cross-platform thing and I think the companies would see the large potential market from it (DCUO has tried it already and it's not bad... but we need to do better).

Beautiful End:

This generation of consoles is over 6 years old! Out of date doesn't even begin to describe it. The consoles weren't that powerful at release. It really is time to upgrade. Games are being held back.

Dryk:

The ones trying to make advancement in AI and world-building are, but that's because they do actually need the extra power to make the game they want beyond flash.

Personally I want the more advanced AI and worlds, but above all I want a bitchin' draw distance.

The problem with the Wii-U as i see it is that the Wii has long since dropped from popular consciousness. Tech fashion moves fast. The Wii was a fashionable Gadget there can be no doubt but its popularity never really stretched to loyalty like with Apple products. As such its hard to determine if the same people who bought the Wii will buy the Wii-U.

There is also the issue of confusion; The Wii-mote wasn't exactly always used correctly to put it mildly. Now they have all but thrown it out of the window in favor of a newer, more expensive, input method. The beauty of the Wii was in local multiplayer, with only being able to use two tablets and additional tablets probably costing an absolute bomb there is an issue with consumer confusion and rage.

Another big information issue are the 'tablets'. They are merely controllers and not autonomous tablets like many would think. Nintendo has to be very careful not to falsely advertise them as an actual tablet and so get hit with a shit-storm of angry returns. The 3DS has shown that Nintendo's audience is not willing to accept anything and everything it puts out.

Beautiful End:

While I hate the word "gimmicky" attributed to video games, I'll let it slide this time because I just want to address your complaint about Sony and Microsoft coming out with new consoles.

I saw somewhere that Microsoft is planning on keeping the 360 running until at least 2015 and just keep updating it with little quirks here and there. Sony will probably do what they always do and wait a year or two so they can copy from Nintendo (like they always do) and say "oh hey, check out our totally original idea for a console, and look at how much better it is than Nintendo's console"

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here