Author Researching "The Kindness of America" Shot By Stranger

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Author Researching "The Kindness of America" Shot By Stranger

A hitchhiker who was shot in the arm by a passing driver just happened to be researching a memoir called "The Kindness of America."

Ray Dolin, whose work can be seen on his website called - oh dear - One Shot Impressions, was hitchhiking across Montana as research for his latest project, The Kindness of America. Dolin was just west of the town of Glasgow when he held out his thumb to a passing pickup truck. Unfortunately, the alleged driver, one Lloyd Danielson, wasn't in a very kind mood, as instead of stopping, he leaned out of his truck window and shot Dolin in the arm.

Dolin managed to flag down a second car with his remaining arm, and the driver promptly contacted the authorities. A manhunt ensued and Danielson was arrested after he stopped to ask a local farmer for directions. He faces charges of felony assault with a weapon and driving under the influence. He declined to enter a plea when he appeared in court yesterday.

"It appears to be a random shooting. We don't know exactly what caused him to do it. He just drove up and shot him," said Valley County Sheriff, Glen Meier.

"We're still the wonderful people in Montana we've always been, and we'll get through this."

Hopefully, so will Dolin. He's currently recovering and isn't taking calls from the press. Thankfully, the internet is always on hand to offer its best-wishes and a selection of glib wisecracks.

"You should really add a 'C' to your website's name now," quipped a commenter on Dolin's guestbook.

Source: Great Falls Tribune

Huh, that makes me rather sad really. Doing his thing on kindness and getting such randomly malicious behavior.

Apparently no good deed goes unpunished. :/

I swear you can't make this stuff up. Truth really is stranger than fiction sometimes...

This is really going to trigger a negative backlash.

Woah, that's grim.
It could have been worse though, when I first read it I'd assumed he'd been killed or something. Glad to hear he wasn't.

I was going to make a cynical comment about how people in general are just jerks, but it occurred to me that the action of one degenerate shouldn't reflect on the population as a whole. Though I do think it's naive to assume that all people are inherently good.

Yup sounds like america alright.

This is why I have never hitchhiked. Even in Canada its too dangerous these days.

rolfwesselius:

Nah, does sound like Montana or Texas though. Turns out there may be more parts of the country than just those two states.

DVS BSTrD:
This is really going to trigger a negative backlash.

And that one shot will certainly leave some serious impressions...

I have to say reading the guys name the only thing I could think about was this:

is hitch hiking legal?

It's funny and sad. I hope this doesn't embitter the guy. I'm a fan of optimism and cheerfulness, no matter what the internet tells me...

Grey Carter:

"You should really add a 'C' to your website's name now," quipped a commenter on Dolin's guestbook.

I don't understand this...

Cone Shot Impressions?
One Cshot Impressions?
One Shot Cimpressions?
C One Shot Impressions?
One Shot Impressions C?

Where and why should a 'C' be added to the website's name?

I can see how changing 'one' to 'gun' may be relevant, but I can't figure out what adding a letter 'C' would achieve.

EDIT: Oh, it's Once Shot Impressions. It seems so obvious now it's been pointed out to me.

Vault101:
is hitch hiking legal?

Depends on the location. Wiki says it's illegal to hitchhike by the sides of interstates ("where pedestrians aren't allowed") but that local laws may also extend the bans further depending on where you are.

Jamash:

Cone Shot Impressions?
One Cshot Impressions?
One Shot Cimpressions?
C One Shot Impressions?
One Shot Impressions C?

I can see how changing 'one' to 'gun' may be relevant, but I can't figure out what adding a letter 'C' would achieve.

"Once Shot Impressions". Yeah, I also didn't get it immediately, but when I did I was all
Ha haaaaa...

Vault101:
is hitch hiking legal?

Sure! All you need is a towel!

Jamash:

Grey Carter:

Cone Shot Impressions?
One Cshot Impressions?
One Shot Cimpressions?
C One Shot Impressions?
One Shot Impressions C?

Once Shot Impressions.

Jamash:

Grey Carter:

Cone Shot Impressions?
One Cshot Impressions?
One Shot Cimpressions?
C One Shot Impressions?
One Shot Impressions C?

I didn't get it either until I saw your post: It's Once Shot Impressions!image

Grenge Di Origin:

Jamash:

Cone Shot Impressions?
One Cshot Impressions?
One Shot Cimpressions?
C One Shot Impressions?
One Shot Impressions C?

"Once Shot Impressions". Yeah, I also didn't get it immediately, but when I did I was all
Ha haaaaa...

Well, that makes more sense now that it's been pointed out to me.

rolfwesselius:

And certain groups of Americans wonder why there are gun laws.

This seems like the worst possible way to research this anyways, hitchhiking is incredibly dangerous for both the hitchhiker and the person picking them up. Forget kindness of strangers, haven't these people ever heard of not talking to them, let alone picking them up in cars alongside the road?

Ed130:

rolfwesselius:

I'm pretty sure that "don't shoot people" is almost a universal law.

Buretsu:

Ed130:

rolfwesselius:

I was going "don't give dangerous items to idiots"

Do we really need an article like this? The user base here hates America enough already. :(

Well thank god he's alright at least.

If nothing else the fact that someone else gave him a lift and the doctors fixed him up ought to give some merit to the argument that America is full of kindness even if the guy randomly shooting him might also put a damper on it.

Captcha: How about that!

Indeed.

I feel bad for the guy but... wow. The irony needs a chainsaw to be cut through it's so thick.

Ed130:

Buretsu:

Ed130:

I was going "don't give dangerous items to idiots"

Yes, don't give a car to someone who could drive drunk.

Oh... this is bitterly hilarious...

Buretsu:
-snip-

That too. He really went all out in the stupidity department.

You guys have a place called "Glasgow" in America too? Im not remotely surprised he got shot near there if its anything like the Glasgow here.

I feel sorry for the guy but at least hes ok. On the plus side, this will make an interesting twist in his book though presumably he'll update the title to "The Kindness of America and the Run in With One Asshole".

Now THAT'S what I call Juxtaposition! Or should I say Irony...I should probably go back to school...Either way, he was shot in the arm and is recovering. I'm going to laugh at that because dammit, that's the kind of divine irony that is tailor made to be laughed at. Hell, if he isn't laughing about this in the next 5 years I wouldn't blame him but he will be retelling this tale to his grandkids one day and everyone in the room will burst out laughing. Live and let laugh.

The Universe loves irony it seems.

Thank heaven for small favours it seems. If America had stricter gun control, Drunk Hick may have just run him down in his car instead.

On the plus side, the irony of his situation has made news in a few places, and there are a lot of strangers wishing him well on his site, a site that now has had a lot more traffic, so maybe it will turn out ok for the guy.

Huh. Well, you can't say he didn't learn anything from all this- it'll probably be a real shot in the arm for his productivity.

I can't imagine ever hitch-hiking; it sounds terrifying.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here