Iranian Steam Shooter Sets Sights on Pirates

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Iranian Steam Shooter Sets Sights on Pirates

Iranian game studio brings its own shooter to the West.

A new shooter is to debut on Steam - no word as to when, but initial intel has it as Autumn 2012 - with a decidedly different point of view. Yes, there will be iron-sights aiming, and yes, there will be dudes and the blowing away of same. However, the plot is almost sane this time out, as you'll be tracking down Somali pirates, not nuke-happy loons bent on world domination. Also, you'll be an Iranian Marine, which means most of your kit will be Chinese or North Korean design, not the ultra-future-shiny tech you may have become used to. The trailer's pretty similar to many another shooter out there; it's just not from the usual source.

The studio, Amytis Games, told Eurogamer that the player will control a Marine patrolling in the Gulf of Aden, who gets caught up in a mission to rescue captured comrades from the Somalis. The Gulf, also known as Pirate Alley, is one of the world's major waterways, and is a vital route for Persian Gulf oil. So the plot is pretty much ripped-from-the-headlines material, but with a slight Bond twist, as you have to seek out and destroy the pirate boss, a man known only as Sawfish.

There's no word yet on how much localization will take place. It may well be that, unless you understand the language, you won't have a clue what's going on. There's also supposed to be multiplayer, but again, no information as to how that will be implemented. Still, it's interesting to see the shooter style reinterpreted for a market other than Western.

And no, to forestall the obvious question, I don't know what the Persian for Soap is.

Sources: Eurogamer, Amytis Games

Apparantly, Persian for Soap is صابون, or sâbun. Doesn't have the same ring to it huh?

Eh, the language spoken by a bullet to the face is pretty much universal. It'll be fine.

I really hope this turns out well. There are countries that people have a stigma about because of politics or tyrannical governments, but there are real people living there. Gamers. I think this is an awesome way to bridge currently disconnected (or poorly connected) communities in some seriously awesome ways.

I don't know what you could possibly mean; North Korea uses only the finest military equipment whilst it's citizens dine on the finest caviar and salmon on the planet, as part of a leisurely brunch.

(Also: this looks shit.)

The studio, Amytis Games, told Eurogamer that the player will control a Marine patrolling in the Gulf of Aden, who gets caught up in a mission to rescue captured comrades from the Somalis. The Gulf, also known as Pirate Alley, is one of the world's major waterways, and is a vital route for Persian Gulf oil. So the plot is pretty much ripped-from-the-headlines material, but with a slight Bond twist, as you have to seek out and destroy the pirate boss, a man known only as Sawfish.
[/quote]

Um, hate to break it to you, but you don't get "Caught up" in missions. You are assigned them. While I can't account for Iran, most militaries check, double check, and triple check the people about to go onto missions, along with equipment and vehicles.

Captcha: Come along, pond. Okay, Doctor.

I'm sure it will do a lot to enrich the FPS genre.

Long as the game plays ok I'm inclined to get this just because of the odd source and being able to play someone besides an american for once.

So it will have iron-sights aiming, but will it have Iran-sights aiming?

For variety sake alone I might check this out.

DVS BSTrD:
I'm sure it will do a lot to enrich the FPS genre.

ha!
But ya the game looks like a cheap COD clone so I'm not interested in it.

How long do you think it will take for fox news to do a story of how this

Trains terrorists/funds terrorists/brain washes kids to become terrorists

The misleading title had me expecting/hoping there was some sort of new steam gun that was about to meet some pirates.

Do you know what this reminds me of?

I mean it literary, it's just another bland FPS without the fad. Gameplay doesn't seem to have an identity of it's own.

saintdane05:

Um, hate to break it to you, but you don't get "Caught up" in missions. You are assigned them. While I can't account for Iran, most militaries check, double check, and triple check the people about to go onto missions, along with equipment and vehicles.

Captcha: Come along, pond. Okay, Doctor.[/quote]

I hate to break it to you but there are Pleanty of ways to excuse the term in context, it certainly could be used accurately to describe at least one RN vessel involved in the recent libya conflict, as she was tasked while on route home from her final deployment.

In fact routine patrol work for RN destroyers and frigates tends to have allowances that the ship will in effect be caught up in something bigger. While not the military term for most it s a perfectly valid term.

Speaking as an englishman, I am relieved and excited to see a first person game that isn't just another "USA r teh greetest" gunwank piece. I may buy it just for that.

Being an Iranian-American (MMO)RPG enthusiast... it amuses me greatly that my two countries are both fps lovers.

Another generic FPS, just made in Iran... I'm most definitely not interested.

MORE SHOOTAN.

No thanks.

Gearhead mk2:
Speaking as an englishman, I am relieved and excited to see a first person game that isn't just another "USA r teh greetest" gunwank piece. I may buy it just for that.

considering that in CoD america spent the better part of three games getting their ass kicked and that it was an international team, with the principle badasses being englishmen, that pulled everyones asses out of the fire I think you are talking out your ass.

Blackops was pretty "yay america!" but Blackops 2 is about 'merica getting their ass kicked again because of their own hubris and using so much automated war gear.

SomeLameStuff:
Apparantly, Persian for Soap is صابون, or sâbun. Doesn't have the same ring to it huh?

Lolz,that is so much like it is said in my tongue сапун <- and yes,more chinese letters.

I'm just glad it's not some racial/political piece. I'll admit when I saw "Iran" I was like, "Oh gawd, here we go with the Jews again." Pleasantly surprising to see that it's not. Not at all what I expected from the same place where a Children's TV Mickey Mouse look-alike teaches kids about how to be a good little suicide bomber.

T3hSource:
Lolz,that is so much like it is said in my tongue сапун

My tongue too.Where are you from?

PS:I'm gonna buy this only if i get to shoot a redneck in the face.

Something tells me, if this ever gets an English voice-over, it will be with those generic Middle-Eastern accents. That would be hilariously bad.

Other than that I'm not really into MMS, or shooters in general, so I'll be skipping this one.

Nicolaus99:
I'm just glad it's not some racial/political piece. I'll admit when I saw "Iran" I was like, "Oh gawd, here we go with the Jews again." Pleasantly surprising to see that it's not. Not at all what I expected from the same place where a Children's TV Mickey Mouse look-alike teaches kids about how to be a good little suicide bomber.

Oh, as I've shown before it's a lot deeper than their version of Mickey. He (Iranian Mickey) was also martyred by Jews.

That said, I really see little appeal here except to those with anti-US sentiments because "you get to shoot people as someone who isn't an American", which is actually kind of odd overall because groups like the Brits, Russians, etc... all seem to get their time. Playing say "S.T.A.L.K.E.R.", or "Metro" I never got the impression that my character was supposed to be an American for example. Granted there is a US domination of such games, but I don't think it's *that* exclusive.

I'd reserve judgements about the game's plot until we find out if there is a twist about someone funding those pirates (like say Isreal or the US, or the US acting as a front for Isreal). Also if this game is fine, I do have some concerns about what use a developing Iranian game industry will be turned to. With a theocratic society I think it's only a matter of time before the powers that be see this and turn it to the same use as their television in an attempt to "show the world the truth" so to speak.

Honestly, if I was developing games in Iran I'd want to stay well away from the modern or historical eras, and produce say Arabian-Nights type fantasy stuff without the involvement of Crusaders or even Islam. I'd be careful to keep it as non-political and socially relevent as possible for as long as possible.

I'll also say that I suspect we haven't seen more games about shooting Somolian/Thai pirates and such is because if a US or European developer did it we'd be called racist due to shooting poor people of color from "developing nations". It's interesting to note that with an Iranian developing doing it, there isn't some racist outcry to massacring Somolians similar to what we saw from "Resident Evil 5". I guess if it's not a white guy doing the killing, it's okay and not racist or politically offensive? Don't get me wrong, I think the whole idea is kind of silly (and said so in RE5 debates), but I think this is deeply ironic, even if I expect liberals to justify why it's differant. Truthfully given the way Arabs victimized blacks (europeans and Americans bought a lot of their slaves from Arabic nations who did the actual enslaving) I'm surprised this isn't viewed as being even worse since it's sort of going to their third favorite target after Jews and Whites.

Gearhead mk2:

Give this man a medal. Less USA is what gaming needs.

Speaking as a proud American... cool! No, seriously. Gaming in the FPS market tends to be hyper-focused on English-speaking protagonists. If this game is legit avoiding the political/religious quagmire most of my countrymen would spaz over, then here's hoping the gameplay is solid and the game does well. More countries should be involved in gaming, especially perspective-gaming like this, because it can enrich the variety of our games and stories and help broaden the perspective of gamers. If nothing else, it could convince current AAA-development studios that they CAN get away with non-English speaking leads being awesome.

The weird thing is I'm actually more interested in the plot of this story than anything Modern Warfare has done. Who doesn't want to fight pirates? Sure, the modern ones are just about as vile as the 18th Century pirates we all romanticize and Depp-utize actually were, but that just makes them more effective bad guys and we don't feel as bad for blowing them away.

I mean, have you paid attention to Russia lately? The bulk of them are decent people trying to deal with a bum rap and a lousy backwater government. Sort of like the U.S. but with fewer ultra-right-wingers complaining about communism.

I'm all for military shooters that are not in american/english boots, but if you're going to put it on steam and release it internationally, at least put a damn translation in there.

Story seems interesting, but the gameplay so far is not impressive. One thing's for sure: reviews about this game are going to be HILARIOUS.

SnakeoilSage:
The weird thing is I'm actually more interested in the plot of this story than anything Modern Warfare has done. Who doesn't want to fight pirates? Sure, the modern ones are just about as vile as the 18th Century pirates we all romanticize and Depp-utize actually were, but that just makes them more effective bad guys and we don't feel as bad for blowing them away.

I mean, have you paid attention to Russia lately? The bulk of them are decent people trying to deal with a bum rap and a lousy backwater government. Sort of like the U.S. but with fewer ultra-right-wingers complaining about communism.

As someone bored with the current trends in FPS's, the premise is intriguing. I haven't heard of Iran's problems with pirates. And yeah, give Russia a break. Not even Putin is that crazy to do even 1/2 the shit the CoD:MW Russians did.

FelixG:

Gearhead mk2:

considering that in CoD america spent the better part of three games getting their ass kicked and that it was an international team, with the principle badasses being englishmen, that pulled everyones asses out of the fire I think you are talking out your ass.

Blackops was pretty "yay america!" but Blackops 2 is about 'merica getting their ass kicked again because of their own hubris and using so much automated war gear.

Um, yeah, what kind of vendetta do the CoD developers have that makes them have the in-game USA get pwned and leave the British characters immune to death-by-cutscene? It sounds like it crushes any sense of accomplishment if I know my guy is going to die soon.

Looks like a cheap COD clone to be honest

If this is an Iranian attempt to highlight the insanity of the American ego on a global scale, ill say they pulled it off in a meagre One minute, Twenty One seconds.

Gearhead mk2:

Agreed, though it is probably the only thing particularly interesting about this game. It looks just as bland and dusty as the rest. Sexy voice though.

Kargathia:
Eh, the language spoken by a bullet to the face is pretty much universal. It'll be fine.

Sprechen sie Bang-Bang?

FelixG:

Gearhead mk2:

America is still the primary focus though where the usual other guys play the role of the villain. Considering the fiction you need to come up with to create these fictional wars to base the games around, America is as likely to be a 'bad guy' as the Russians or Chinese are. I'd be fascinated to see what the reception would be to a FPS game that set the Americans as the bad guy invaders who you are fighting for your freedom.

ARCTIC_EAGLE:

But ya the game looks like a cheap COD clone so I'm not interested in it.

So did Modern Warfare 3, so... It'd be nice to see a modern shooter with a very different aim to its storyline.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here