Origin Cheapens IP With Deep-Cutting Sales

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

samsonguy920:

John Funk:
and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 2142 can be had for $29.99 and $8.99 respectively (instead of $49.99 and $14.99).

I had to do a double-take there, considering I bought B:BC2 for less on Steam. Just checked the store page on Steam and yep: $19.99, not on sale. One reason why you always shop around.
Here's the webpage link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/24960/

Origin: cheapening their IP by still overpricing their IP, even by doing a sale.

Sorry, it should have been more clear in that paragraph that this is the special/deluxe editions of the games, not the basic versions. Updated for clarity.

Wait, people still buy games from EA?

ahahahahahahahaha

Butbut but butbutbutbut but but

You know you've dun goofed when the gaming press can't even keep the references out of the article titles.

Aeonknight:
Oh hey, moar EA hate.

But for people who are too busy pointing out the Vice president's hypocrisy, read what the article actually says.

Lowered prices, akin to steam.

This was probably someone in sales going "look mr vice president, that may be your stance on steam sales but it makes them money hand over fist."
"enough said, I'll put my foot in my mouth. make it happen."

Even if Origin turns into a carbon copy of steam some day, is that really a bad thing?

Yes, having the VP of a company lambast another company for having sales that cheapen the IP of a game then turning around and having a huge sale might drum up some hate. Yes lower prices are good, but then again EA can decide to ban you for no reason and invalidate your entire game collection, given their history of doing so to innocent people I wouldn't take the chance even for the cheap games.

Maybe someday Origin will be a carbon copy of Steam, sure you have a better chance of winning the lottery then that ever happening but hey it could happen.

I've purchased over 350 games thru Steam and NONE thru Origin. That tell you something?

Mr. DeMartini's comments and EA's "turnaround" on this practice are examples of the hypocrisy of the game marketplace - they're always complaining about pirating of PC games, the used gaming market and that Steam sales devaluing intellectual property. How about releasing games filled with bugs, mining franchises to death and charging premium prices for roster updates?

I've purchased tons of EA games (back to the Atari 800 era) and have NEVER pirated a game for the PC or any of my game consoles. But that didn't prevent EA from killing the PC support for their sports games (except for Tiger Woods, which they've put online for premium prices...) Guess PC users weren't willing to pay $60 for a game when they could download roster updates and add player names from online sites.

Or being nickle and dimed for downloadable content. Steam does a great job of keeping my games current with updates, offers DLC for reasonable prices (especially during their periodic sales) and I've been able to install many of the indie bundles (Humble Bundle, Indie Royale, Indie Gala) of games using Steam keys.

What I'm looking forward to is the day I can start installing all of the EA titles that I currently own to my hard disk using Steam to validate the codes instead of having to have the disk in my drive everytime I play (games like Mirror's Edge, Dead Space 1 & 2, and Burnout Paradise...) Or at least be able to install the games without having to purchase the game for a 2nd or 3rd time.

And I've used other services as well - Desura, Impulse/GameStop, GOG - just not Origin...

Wait a minute, I went to the website, and all the games that are supposedly on sale are being marked as full price. Was this a short as hell sale, or did EA suddenly change their minds?

See, when I was trying to get DA:O working on my PC (needed to merge 2 Origin accounts, had to call support), they gave me a 30% off coupon to anything in the store. And I STILL didn't buy anything from them. You know why? Because Steam had everything cheaper, in one place, and wasn't going to bog down my computer.

I have Sims 3, and Sims Medieval, and it drives me nuts to have to go through their stupid origin launchers. I wish I'd gotten them through Steam just so I could have them all through one place, with an easy to use system and everything else.

In short, eff you Origin, I will never willingly spend money with you. I will happily pay more to purchase something through Steam rather than shop with anyone else. THAT's the kind of business you'll never see, because you're too stupid to know how to actually get my business. Treat me like a customer, not a future pirate, and I might shop with you.

In other news, Escapist news writer writes spiteful story about EA and its dumb comments. Although serving little to no purpose beyond once again poking fun at EA, several forums goers post comments also expressing EA hate. We'll have the full story detailing people's continued hate at the top of the hour. Now time for weather with Dick Bubkis, Dick...

So are they that stupid, or do they think everyone else is that stupid?

Of course, if it's the second, it's also the first, so...

Twilight_guy:
In other news, Escapist news writer writes spiteful story about EA and its dumb comments. Although serving little to no purpose beyond once again poking fun at EA, several forums goers post comments also expressing EA hate. We'll have the full story detailing people's continued hate at the top of the hour. Now time for weather with Dick Bubkis, Dick...

Is there something wrong with pointing out when a company is talking out of both sides of their mouth? Especially when one side is drooling?

kajinking:
Yeah nothing on orgin I honestly wanted besides maybe the first two mass effect games and why bother with getting them there when I can wait for the steam summer sale?

The normal Steam prices are also cheaper than the current Origin prices. I really wish I was even slightly interested in Mass Effect cause the Mass Effect 3 deal is actually quite good...

As much as I love to hate on EA and Origin (and I really do love to hate on them), I think this isn't a big deal. An executive made a poorly thought out comment based on a limited thought process and the truth about where the company was heading was different. Seriously, if I had every bone-headed thing I ever said held against me the rest of my life, I'd be fairly miserable these days. I can't see how we can hold a company accountable for every utterance from their employees. It's one thing to call the comment out as bone-headed but it's an entirely different thing to be a sore winner now.

Someone needs to tell EA that we've supposedly cured foot and mouth disease.

Morti:

rhizhim:
does anyone remember this:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117725-Origin-Boss-Says-Steam-Sales-Cheapen-Intellectual-Property

MrBrightside919:
After going on about how STEAM sales cheapen Intellectual Properties, they pull a complete 180 and do the same thing...?

Am I the only one who saw that coming?

oh shit ninja'd

Never mind him; you got ninja'd by the article. Go read the first line of the first paragraph again :P

oh well. i'm getting old...

Yopaz:

kajinking:
Yeah nothing on orgin I honestly wanted besides maybe the first two mass effect games and why bother with getting them there when I can wait for the steam summer sale?

The normal Steam prices are also cheaper than the current Origin prices. I really wish I was even slightly interested in Mass Effect cause the Mass Effect 3 deal is actually quite good...

Yeah I think I might finally get the game because of that. I wanted to wait till the fixed the ending before getting it but by the time I get through the first 2 it should hopefully be ready. I already played the first two on the xbox but now I'm on a PC and my current TV is actually much worse than my monitor so if I want to play through the 3rd with a good history I have to re-buy the first two which during the steam sale will very likely cost me less than a pizza.

Besides now that EA actually had to swallow their pride and issue a sale on it I don't honestly feel as bad for buying it.

WTF the sale is gone already? All the stuff is back to regular price. ME 3 Deluxe is back up to $80

Aeonknight:
Oh hey, moar EA hate.

But for people who are too busy pointing out the Vice president's hypocrisy, read what the article actually says.

Lowered prices, akin to steam.

This was probably someone in sales going "look mr vice president, that may be your stance on steam sales but it makes them money hand over fist."
"enough said, I'll put my foot in my mouth. make it happen."

Even if Origin turns into a carbon copy of steam some day, is that really a bad thing?

So if i blame a guy for doing somethig supposedly bad, especially for other people and do

pretty much the same thing afterwards, other people have no right to raise their eyebrows at my

hypocricy? Fucking cool :D

On a brighter note, this did made me laugh. Oh EA never change...OH wait.

kajinking:

Yopaz:

kajinking:

Yeah I think I might finally get the game because of that. I wanted to wait till the fixed the ending before getting it but by the time I get through the first 2 it should hopefully be ready. I already played the first two on the xbox but now I'm on a PC and my current TV is actually much worse than my monitor so if I want to play through the 3rd with a good history I have to re-buy the first two which during the steam sale will very likely cost me less than a pizza.

Besides now that EA actually had to swallow their pride and issue a sale on it I don't honestly feel as bad for buying it.

Yeah, I got both Mass Effect games because of the summer sale. I haven't liked either though so I wont bother getting Mass Effect 3 even if the price is awesome.

rembrandtqeinstein:
I don't care if they come out with a game that was photorealistic sensoround holodeck solid gold blowjob generator there is no game that is worth installing the crapulance that is Origin.

Oh, I dunno, that might get me to install Origin.

So when EA does something it's bad but when they decide to make a 180 on the subject (essentially doing what people want) it's still bad?!?

Make up your damn minds people!

Not surprised...well maybe a little bit, EA sure are greedy bastards, I expected them to take high prices to the grave, but they're perfectly capable of contradicting themselves and their 'principles' to get at a few dollars.

*blink* *blink*

And that's about all I have to say on this matter...

I find this doubly hilarious with what the Jimmquisition was about today. :P

Holy crap £5 for DA:O? I'm actually tempted to get Origin!

If only it wasn't so fucking shit.

Captcha: foul smelling - PAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Best captcha I have ever gotten.

doggie015:
*blink* *blink*

And that's about all I have to say on this matter...

That was so painfully fake, I think you deserve to be punished.

Well, as for Mass Effect, they're probably trying to get the price in line with the value of the IP since ME3 (Yeah, I'm one of them.), so I suppose it's fine. Anyway, EA needs more money like I need more TNT shoved in my gullet. You want Origin to be used more, so you decide NOT to give good prices. Seems about right.
I hope they've learned a lesson, and this is a first step. Who knows, right?

Hornet0404:
So when EA does something it's bad but when they decide to make a 180 on the subject (essentially doing what people want) it's still bad?!?

Make up your damn minds people!

No, when EA does something sleazy to some extra money, it's bad. And the article never said that them having a sale was bad, the article states that the sheer hypocrisy is funny.

Oh and it's also giving EA some good publicity in there too, directing people to some great bargains.

Specials? When I logged into Origin there were no specials on any title except the Sims 3 Pets.

Must be because I live in Australia.

For once we in the UK get the better end of the stick...
and,
but,
Origin?!

'hooray' but no hooray :(

EA executive complains about the $60 or higher standard price ceiling. EA then continues to make big-budget games to make that price point all the more needed.

EA executive complains about big discounts devaluing IP. EA then changes to put big discounts on their IP.

HYPOCRISY MUCH? INCONSISTENCY MUCH?

EA did something totally fucking retarded? STOP THE FUCKING PRESSES!

Uh. What? That... that makes no sense at all. Why does putting something on sale on occasion "cheapen" it? I mean, yes, it literally cheapens it in the sense that it is cheaper, but why would it metaphorically cheapen it? I mean, Valve puts the entire Half-Life series on sale on Steam for like twenty bucks every once in a while. (and regular price is still just $40!) Yet people still think it's a really good series.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting his use of the word "cheapen", but it seems to me that price has precious little to do with what people think of a game. If a brand-new AAA title came out for ten bucks, I might be a little surprised and maybe even concerned, but if it's a special sale, I wouldn't go "ugh, horrible game", I'd go "cool, [super awesome AAA game] is cheap this weekend! I'd better snap it up!"

The more I think about it, the more I think I'm really, really missing something here. Can somebody else explain this to me? Do you get what they're trying to say, because the only thing I can see is "we want more money and are trying to pretend we're good people for wanting all of your money."

I mean, sheesh. At least be honest about wanting all of our money...

Leadership and Communication are things that happen to other companies.

I think instead of calling EA out on this hypocrisy, we should encourage them a bit. If you ignore what EA said in the past, this is a good move. Reducing prices is still a good thing no matter how you look at it. I rather be be paying $40 then $80.

To EA: Good job, here's a biscuit. Now just drop the prices more and make it global then you'll only have to, fix Origin, remove the online pass, reduce spending on AAA titles, remove Dr Evil as your consultant, write a public letter of apology, reduce more spending, be the first to lower the standard AAA title price from $60 to $40 notwithstanding the stuff I've said before and send all your customers a box of chocolates and some flowers.

Baby steps.

WhiteTigerShiro:
Wait a minute, I went to the website, and all the games that are supposedly on sale are being marked as full price. Was this a short as hell sale, or did EA suddenly change their minds?

kajinking:
WTF the sale is gone already? All the stuff is back to regular price. ME 3 Deluxe is back up to $80

Pretty much this. For $50 I would've bought ME3. But having a 12-hour sale? That's just stupid and annoying, and will not attract me to Origin.

I would argue that what EA has done here is in no way IP cheapening, as the price that the games have been lowered to for this sale is probably only really a 25% off sale considering how much they should be on sale for normally when compared to steam and even retail sales, and that the only reason the percentage cut is so great is simply because of the inflated price to begin with.

I also agree that those 75%+ steam sales do cheapen IP's, because they do. Although maybe not as much as EA were making out. Nothing wrong with a good steam sale on an old title, but steam sales too early can hurt a franchise. However i don't think it's the price cut which cheapens the IP i think it's the regularity within which everything is on sale, within a year everything is on sale a couple of times once it's been out for a year or so and then again at Christmas.
It's been evident on these very forums a few times when Microsoft has lots of stuff between 33-50% off and everyone is critical because it isn't as much as Steam. I believe that people expecting something to be 75% off at some point has cheapened IP's because everyone holds off until then. For the same reason iPhone's have cheapened handheld gaming.

Also it'd be nice if we could get back to more unbiased articles. EA is stupid, no question, but it is the role of the reader to surmise that for themselves not to be told so in the article.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.