EA Thinks Cross-Platform Is The Future

Pages 1 2 NEXT

EA Thinks Cross-Platform Is The Future

EA is spending $250 million on a new development strategy.

EA Chief Operations Officer Peter Moore has admitted that the time has come for the company to embrace cross-platform play. EA is spending $250 million over the next four years so that FIFA players - among many others - can interact with the game via social networks, mobile devices and consoles. Bored while waiting for a train or plane? Fiddle with your avatar's loadout via your mobile phone. Want to make a strategy change or trade out a forward on your footie team, but you're at work? The cloud will save any alterations you care to make via Facebook.

As Moore describes it, this conversion is less the result of mature and thoughtful consideration than it is a realization that the world as EA knows it is crumbling. "We recognized that we are standing on a burning platform," he told Gamasutra, "it's an oil rig in the middle of the sea, and it's exploding. You can stay or you can hold our noses and jump. At least that way, you have a shot." EA can't wait for the next console generation. It either moves now, or gets annihilated.

At least he's enthusiastic for the digital transformation. As Moore sees it, this is a natural progression for gaming and for EA. The company's mission is about bringing people together through play, and he believes cross-platform is going to be the way that future games bring players together, through the devices and networks that they've become used to. "We think that the future of gaming is cross-platform play," he says, "always having something with you that's a gaming device, but everything you do connects."

Of course, there's a catch. This 24-hour play means that the customer can spend money whenever they want on whatever they want, and to EA that translates as a microtransaction bonanza. When you can connect via your mobile phone, it makes it that much more tempting to make a quick purchase - so those who already know that they have a penchant for drunk texting had better beware, lest a trip to the pub cost a fortune in tiny, tiny bites. Even Moore himself admits he spends way too much money on beating the leaderboard of his favourite games through performace-accelerating add-ons. He sees this tendency as a boon for the company's bottom line, and it surely is. Whether the customer is as savvy in this brave new world as EA is, remains to be seen.

Source: Gamasutra

Inb4 EA hate

Anywho, the only thing I'd really use this for is to screw with my BF3 load out over my iPhone so I can experiment next time I play.

Or my Mass Effect 3 classes.....

I think this is a good idea. Heck, I'd like more PC to Xbox play, myself.

If done right it's a concept that can add quite a lot, and I can certainly think of games where the minor tweaking can easily be ported to facebook / apps / whatnot.

However: (and this is in no way a specific flaming of EA, merely an acceptance of how they work) I'd venture that many of these innovations are best not done by corporate publishers. Pushing the boundaries on how much you can monetize it is best done after the core concept is solidified.

general dislike for micro-transactions aside, this is a great concept. Sure it looks all very gimicky but this kind of thing means that we don't have to have a bunch of separate lives when it comes to gaming.

It's also a fantastic time waster :P

Captcha: lunatic fridge
pffffffffffff---

This just in, ea says something that was being said 10 years ago, new record for speed from ea.

Edit: guess I should have read the story before commenting on the title, sounded like they were saying games should be on more than one platform. He isn't wrong but its not something microsoft will allow.... actually considering you might be able to play xbox games on pc with windows 8 they might be planning for that, although I see them doing it as stupid as they do anything with pc gaming.

Mumorpuger:

HA...that didnt go very well the last time they tried...needless to say, Microsoft pulled the plug on the game, before the PC players raped the Xbox ones even more. Microsoft didnt wanna be responsible for seppuku of multiple console gamers....BUT, for singleplayer games....i see no problem. just leave net code n multiplayer out of it...DOESNT WORK WELL. AT ALL.

Hoary EA found another way to trick you out of your money!

draythefingerless:

Mumorpuger:

HA...that didnt go very well the last time they tried...needless to say, Microsoft pulled the plug on the game, before the PC players raped the Xbox ones even more. Microsoft didnt wanna be responsible for seppuku of multiple console gamers....BUT, for singleplayer games....i see no problem. just leave net code n multiplayer out of it...DOESNT WORK WELL. AT ALL.

The first attempts at making a working airplane failed as well, but giving up and not attempting to make it work, and work well, was not the solution.

Mumorpuger:

draythefingerless:

Mumorpuger:

The first attempts at making a working airplane failed as well, but giving up and not attempting to make it work, and work well, was not the solution.

Well i should of explained to you why it didnt work. As cute as your philosophical ideal is, it doesnt make it an absolute truth. PC gamers are superior to console ones. its ....basically a fact. they use mouse and keyboard. you simply have better equipment on a computer than a console. Therefore, when they came out with the cross platform FPS...console players were butchered. every single time. It wasnt a problem of the net code, or the hardware...its just how things work. and they couldnt handicap pc players, because if they wanted to play FPS with a controller, theyd play it on a console. Its also a stupid solution, to handicap one side, because the other one has inferior hardware. Now like i said, for non PVP gameplay, THATS FINE. hell, Coop is ok(despite there gonna be balance issues for sure in some games). Just as long as you dont make PC players fight the other ones. otherwise, lot of crying will happen.

draythefingerless:

Mumorpuger:

draythefingerless:

Well i should of explained to you why it didnt work. As cute as your philosophical ideal is, it doesnt make it an absolute truth. PC gamers are superior to console ones. its ....basically a fact. they use mouse and keyboard. you simply have better equipment on a computer than a console. Therefore, when they came out with the cross platform FPS...console players were butchered. every single time. It wasnt a problem of the net code, or the hardware...its just how things work. and they couldnt handicap pc players, because if they wanted to play FPS with a controller, theyd play it on a console. Its also a stupid solution, to handicap one side, because the other one has inferior hardware. Now like i said, for non PVP gameplay, THATS FINE. hell, Coop is ok(despite there gonna be balance issues for sure in some games). Just as long as you dont make PC players fight the other ones. otherwise, lot of crying will happen.

Generally everything I do is cute. Anyhow, I still believe it can be done. I like to think that the folks making the decisions believe the same thing though rather than throw their hands up in the air and give up because of one example. As a member of the glorious PC-gamer master race, even I think that that "its just how things work [sic]" shouldn't be the reason cited in why steps shouldn't be taken to finding a viable solution to the problem. I think the simplest solution would be to support a mouse and keyboard combo with consoles. The fact that the Xbox doesn't have some sort of official setup baffles me.

Mumorpuger:

draythefingerless:

Mumorpuger:

Generally everything I do is cute. Anyhow, I still believe it can be done. I like to think that the folks making the decisions believe the same thing though rather than throw their hands up in the air and give up because of one example. As a member of the glorious PC-gamer master race, even I think that that "its just how things work [sic]" shouldn't be the reason cited in why steps shouldn't be taken to finding a viable solution to the problem. I think the simplest solution would be to support a mouse and keyboard combo with consoles. The fact that the Xbox doesn't have some sort of official setup baffles me.

It goes against the concept of the console. consoles are confy game bringers. no one is gona buy a console and then buy keyboard n mouse for it.:/ its simply how it is. it baffles you, but the big majority of people dont WANT that setup, they wont BUY that setup, so there is no impulse to make such a setup for consoles. there are many games n gametypes thou, there are lots of things to be done cross platforming. just not this...

$250,000,000 well spent!

He is a liar though, nobody who runs EA actually plays video games. Well, maybe Farmville

Oh gawd... Just stop doing things EA.

It amazes me at the ways some of the Escapist staff finds to make bullshit sound good xD

I don't want "social integration" in all my games, nor do I want "mobile apps" for all of them.

Cross platform play e.g. PC players playing against PS3 players playing against Xbox players would be great, but that's not exactly what he means. What he means is this: http://ownedgamers.com/mass-effect-infiltrator-en-route-to-ios/ just with even more Microtransactions and DLC...

They want to turn all their brands into (Always) Online Universes: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-20-ea-turning-all-of-its-brands-into-online-universes

EA is turning all of its brands into what it calls "online universes".

At EA's UK showcase this week, EA's Northern Europe boss Keith Ramsdale said all of EA's game franchises, including FIFA, Battlefield, Medal of Honor, Star Wars, The Sims and Need for Speed, were being transformed in this way.

This means more than simple online play, Ramsdale explained. It involves being able to play a "brand" across multiple devices, each one contributing to a singular goal - and profile.

Ramsdale used FIFA by way of an example. "Imagine a player gets up in the morning, plays an online match on his 360 before going to work," he said. "On the bus, on his way to work, he practices his free kicks on his tablet. At lunch he looks at the transfer window on his PC. On the way home he chooses his kit on his smartphone.

"Here's the thing: when he gets home to play again on his 360 that evening, all those achievements and upgrades will be alive in his game."

Ramsdale said online universes allow the consumer to play "how he wants, when he wants and on the device he wants".

"We're very focused on transforming all of our brands into these online universes. That gives the consumer full control of how and when they play in a rich world of content."

We've already seen some of this with the BioWare developed Mass Effect 3. Players are able to contribute to their Galactic Readiness in the main game by playing the Mass Effect Datapad companion app on their smartphones.

I just want to buy and play a fucking game and not being annoyed by all this extraneous crap ot having them try to "integrate" it into every aspect of everyones life..., apparently that's too much to ask for nowadays.

Wait... They're wasting 250 million on social networking?

No wonder they want Dead Space 3 to sell 5 million units, they probably already spent the money they believe they'd make.

I actually really like this idea despite EA doing it. We have the technology to do however the main problem is getting enough money to get it off the ground.

If you have so much free time in your day that you are gonna want to screw around with your BF3 loadout, there is something wrong with you. It's just poor use of time. Even as a gamer, I keep my gaming where it belongs. Which is firmly behind reading books, listening to music, being in contact with friends and family, stuff like that. But, no doubt this concept will be an ace with many gamers.

EA derp Money Herpderp

that's all I heard

So they're spending 250 million on... what, exactly?
Planning stuff? Does every manager have like a 1.7 million dollar salary or something? I just can't see why this should cost anywhere near that amount.

Mumorpuger:

Except PC isn't mentioned specifically. PC has never been in people's minds when thinking of social networks or mobile devices. I wouldn't get your hopes up of playing Mass Effect 3 multiplayer from your office to your buddy's XBox anytime soon.
Addendum:
Bear in mind Microsoft has yet to reverse its position on cross-platform play between the PC and Xbox. It doesn't matter what EA wants to do. In the end, Microsoft controls how the games are played on the Xbox. It's a stupid position where they think mouse and keyboard outclasses controllers. I have a feeling any hardcore gamer on the Xbox will give me a run for my money.

TheBelgianGuy:

No wonder they want Dead Space 3 to sell 5 million units, they probably already spent the money they believe they'd make.

Ninja's. Damn.

No, seriously, that's something along the lines of what I was thinking. "$250 million? Gee, guess that explains why they have such unreasonable expectations for Dead Space 3 and are threatening to axe the entire thing if it doesn't live up!"

Another thing for me to add to the list of "Why EA is such a terrible business."

This is actually a great idea. I hope EA can implement it, with other companies following suit.

"As to the problem itself, we didn't start the fire. Those matches, oil can, and old newspapers are ours, but the mess that happened was an unfortunate, isolated incident in which we had no direct involvement whatsoever.

Hold on, lemme grab my golden parachute. Last time, we forgot to pack that on the private jet, and we couldn't go skydiving that day.

Well, see you on the way down. Try to aim for the pile of independent studio corpses."

EA has said plenty of things in the past that sounded like good ideas. Whether they made them into bad decisions or just plumb forgot about the rest, one thing is for certain, EA has done very little good after speaking to the public.

I'll keep my eyes on this, but I'm sceptical... and that's an understatement.

Based on all the people that seem to hate EA for giving players the opportunity to buy their way through a game, I have to say, I'm glad I wasn't born with that part of the brain that apparently makes people feel so compelled to needlessly spend money in order to obtain the best ranking on something that becomes meaningless when popularity selects a new game.

lets look at it this way. now two companies are working.. or in EAs case thinking about cross platforming.

CCP: great customer service. loyal fanbase. been working on it for years. Dust to be released this year and kick it all off.

EA: used to be good. now they are not. fans loyal to the game franchises and not the company. Screws you over. And barely even thinking about cross platforming. and will still manage to mess it up somehow.

yeah.. CCP ftw.. :D

shrekfan246:

TheBelgianGuy:

Ninja's. Damn.

Damn. Double ninja'd.

Dexter111:

I just want to buy and play a fucking game and not being annoyed by all this extraneous crap ot having them try to "integrate" it into every aspect of everyones life..., apparently that's too much to ask for nowadays.

I forsee a future that will have us pay extra for just a game without all the extra bullshit and piracy will be at an all time high.

Aside from all the other bullshit, cross-system platforming is a great idea and one to be thought over by most gaming companies. No computers though, too many hacks.

Terminate421:
Inb4 EA hate

Anywho, the only thing I'd really use this for is to screw with my BF3 load out over my iPhone so I can experiment next time I play.

Or my Mass Effect 3 classes.....

Indeed, I have been wondering why this isn't available even over the Battlelog. It is something I would use, and not just for BF3.

I did think they were going to let PC, XBOX, and PS3 players compete in FIFA from the headline. That is a pretty even playing field, literally, I don't know anyone who plays FIFA on PC without a controller.

samsonguy920:

Mumorpuger:

Except PC isn't mentioned specifically. PC has never been in people's minds when thinking of social networks or mobile devices. I wouldn't get your hopes up of playing Mass Effect 3 multiplayer from your office to your buddy's XBox anytime soon.
Addendum:
Bear in mind Microsoft has yet to reverse its position on cross-platform play between the PC and Xbox. It doesn't matter what EA wants to do. In the end, Microsoft controls how the games are played on the Xbox. It's a stupid position where they think mouse and keyboard outclasses controllers. I have a feeling any hardcore gamer on the Xbox will give me a run for my money.

I appreciate that viewpoint. I have held my own using a controller vs. keyboard and mouse. Yes, aiming is a bit more challenging but I find the controller much more ergonomic for endurance gaming.

In the end, I just think that if you wanted to use a keyboard and mouse on Xbox, you should be allowed to. The original justification of not allowing it was to not have it looked at as a PC. I think its a bit late for that now.

Worgen:
This just in, ea says something that was being said 10 years ago, new record for speed from ea.

Edit: guess I should have read the story before commenting on the title, sounded like they were saying games should be on more than one platform. He isn't wrong but its not something microsoft will allow.... actually considering you might be able to play xbox games on pc with windows 8 they might be planning for that, although I see them doing it as stupid as they do anything with pc gaming.

Actually your still right ... gamers have been saying this for about 10 years. EA finally woke up. The technology has been capable of it for a long, long, LONG time.

ZeZZZZevy:
general dislike for micro-transactions aside, this is a great concept. Sure it looks all very gimicky but this kind of thing means that we don't have to have a bunch of separate lives when it comes to gaming.

It's also a fantastic time waster :P

Captcha: lunatic fridge
pffffffffffff---

I like Micro Transactions when they are actually micro.

When I see a chair for 10 bucks I'm like...the fuck?

Honestly...no.

What is this?! I'm scared and confused.

I can't recall the last game I've played where the smallest purchase item wasn't under 3 dollars :/.

I'm sure there are millions of them, but I'll be damned if anything interesting isn't costing me as much as a full game on steam :P.

The_Emperor:
EA derp Money Herpderp

that's all I heard

Why come into a thread and comment if that's all your're going to contribute? Not the least bit constructive and adds nothing at all in the way of conversation or opinion of substance.

I'd work on that if I were you.

GREAT now all those hipsters on their iphones and spoiled 8 year olds on their 360s can bug me?

NAH!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or