Judge Dredd Returns to the Big Screen

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Judge Dredd Returns to the Big Screen

Karl Urban is bringing law to the lawless.

First things first: The 1995 Judge Dredd flick starring Sylvester Stallone was terrible. I'm a very casual Dredd
fan at best, and even I came away from it with a distinct feeling of "ugh." It just wasn't good.

Will Karl Urban fare any better than Sly when he puts on the big boots in the new film, entitled simply Dredd? No idea; he's a better actor that Stallone, but so am I, so that's not really saying too much, and anyway what it really comes down to is the interpretation of the character by the writers and the director. Is it Judge Dredd, or is it CGI action-hero Dredd?

I can't say that the debut trailer completely nails it for me, but it does look stylishly promising. Urban's got the look and the voice, and there's a certain understatement to it, amidst all the gunfire and explosions, that really appeals to me. I'm not calling it yet, but I think a certain amount of cautious optimism isn't unreasonable.

Dredd is currently slated to hit screens in September.

This movie looks goofy as hell. Not necessarily a bad thing if they run with it and can make it work. And like with Total Recall, I was never so interested in the original that I'll write this off for being nothing like the source material. Color me intrigued.

Also Lena Heady has seriously been getting her Bad Guy groove on lately. Good for her.

The trailer had me vaguely interested until Mr Dredd showed up. Then it went into cliche overdrive.

Okay, okay, it's probably intentional (at least I bloody well hope so), but how can I get excited about a movie where someone says "It's time to end this" with a straight face?

Is the Judge Dredd brand really weighty enough to make a goofy action movie sell any more than its competitors?

I don't know, I think Sly's got a better chin. Other than that it doesn't look bad.

No hoverbikes? Awww... I am moderately disappointed with the lack of hoverbikes, but Karl Urban is quite the badass. He was the only redeeming feature of the Doom movie, and nailed Eomer, so I have high hopes for him being a good Dredd.

This trailer doesn't give me a massive movie boner, but I'd go see it as an afternoon matinee if nothing else was showing.

Captcha:
sun tzu says

Now I want to play TF2 =|

Edit: Karl Urban was also awesome in Chronicles of Riddick. It will be difficult to think of him as Dredd when he sounds like Lord Vako.

Ugh, this is going to dark,brooding and gritty. A dark knight clone.

Still, it isn't create good things like this.

If they intend recreating the 2000AD Dredd there needs to be some weird future-tech (for example: Otto Sump's Ugly Clinic or the Smokatorium), some social satire (see previous) and please God some *humour*. Frankly this trailer didn't exhibit any of those three.

mad825:

Anyone who says they didn't enjoy how everyone pronounced "LAW!" in Judge Dredd, is lying.

Andy Chalk:

Will Karl Urban fare any better than Sly when he puts on the big boots in the new film, entitled simply Dredd? No idea; he's a better actor that Stallone, but so am I, so that's not really saying too much, and anyway what it really comes down to is the interpretation of the character by the writers and the director. Is it Judge Dredd, or is it CGI action-hero Dredd?

You're a better actor than a guy who was nominated for an academy award and often considered to have one of the best on-screen performances of all time? What the hell are you writing for the Escapist for then?

This looks like a made-for-SyFy movie, albeit a SyFy movie with a decent budget, but just as terrible nonetheless. I half-expected to see Asylum Studios at the beginning. As bad as the original Dredd movie was, Sly at least had the build and the chin for the part. If the whole movie had been him, as the judge, rather than "Stallone in a desert wasteland, Stallone crawling through vents, Stallone fighting his brother" it might have actually been good.

Is it just me or does this look suspiciously similar to The Raid plotwise? With the whole apartment building, bad guy at the top, gotta reach 'em storyline?

Torrasque:
No hoverbikes? Awww... I am moderately disappointed with the lack of hoverbikes, but Karl Urban is quite the badass. He was the only redeeming feature of the Doom movie, and nailed Eomer, so I have high hopes for him being a good Dredd.

This trailer doesn't give me a massive movie boner, but I'd go see it as an afternoon matinee if nothing else was showing.

Captcha:
sun tzu says

Now I want to play TF2 =|

Edit: Karl Urban was also awesome in Chronicles of Riddick. It will be difficult to think of him as Dredd when he sounds like Lord Vako.

very true on all this^ loved him in both those movies (his individual portrayal in doom.)

OT: well considering i love cheesy action movies..this is right down my alley, granted the trailer doesn't look AMAZING, but i enjoyed the first one enough to finish it, so if it's better than that, i'm sure i'll enjoy it.

This looks like a Western version of 'The Raid', cept with less kickass fight scenes and more gun play.

Also:
Blond hair chick becomes captured/killed at some point thus forcing Dredd into 'overdrive'.
-Calling it!

I've never seen the original, and I have never heard of the comics, and I love campy shlock.......

So as bad as this may look to some, I think I could find it entertaining to say the least. Maybe a rental. Also same with Total Recall, never saw the original, but the new one looks a lot better than this Judge Dread 2012. I'm actually looking forward to that one.

*raises flame shield*

Sorry if I haven't enjoyed enough crappy 80s action flicks to warrant hating these remakes.

And even with all this dark and brooding that you think it has, the movie looks EXTREMELY cheesy. It couldn't rip off Batman with those costumes and acting if it tried. By trying to take itself seriously its doing the exact opposite....and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I liked the Stallone movie. It wasn't perfect but it was fast, fun and visually striking. I even liked Stallone's performance. And it looked a lot more like Judge Dredd than this does.

So are we going back to the days when movies don't risk using source accurate costumes or visuals because it's too hard to pull off? Or not 'grown up' enough? Or just too expensive?

Because by god grud this movie looks cheap.

Great post!

Yes, cautious optimism is the emotion I'm feeling.

I was actually pleasantly surprised with the trailer today after months of having nothing but dodgy screens showing blurry nothing and terrible angles on the helmet shots for the tiny handful of promo stuff.

But yes, yes indeed I think I like Urban's take on Dredd, very matter-of-fact, very calm and blunt amid the chaos and carnage.

Everything is exploding, 20 angry junkies are shooting at you, the entire city is turning into junkies and Joe Dredd doesn't even blink, it's just another day on the beat in the Big Meg.

This bit: "You know how often we get a Judge up in Peace Trees?"
"Well ya got one now..."
That line from Urban was so typical Joe Dredd to me, it was perfect.

This screened at Cannes and reports were very positive, does that mean anything?
I don't know... I suspect Dredd fans will be divided but the majority will approve it over (waaaay over) the Stallone version, critics will actually be positive and the general public will be "it was okay".

There's no comparison to the Stallone Dredd imo, that was ott camp.
It tried too hard and ended up being actually quite camp.
It had everything, Rico, Mean Machine, a world shattering conspiracy, flying lawmasters!

It was like a superhero movie.

This movie does, as Andy says, have an understated quality to it that feels right for Dredd.
I like the tone, it reminds me of old black and white Dredd tales drawn by Bolland, very grimy, gritty and lean.

I feel this is Dredd from those early days of Wagner and Mills, stories about a future cop... doing his job.

I think the film will show us Dredd as the iconic symbol he is, this is why it's set during Anderson's rookie days, we'll see Dredd as she does, we'll be the silent "other rookie" along for the ride.

Yes for sure, cautious but optimistic... Heck, I even thought the helmet looked pretty good in that trailer.

This looks interesting. As long as it's on the proper scale this could be good. I also personally like Karl Urban. He is a bit underplayed I think. But that could have to do with roles he has chosen to take over the years. [quote="mad825" post="7.379492.14878142"]Ugh, this is going to dark,brooding and gritty. A dark knight clone.

It should be dark, gritty and brooding. The world they live in is like hell. And their isn't a clear line between good guy/bad guy when it comes to the Judges.

So it's like The Raid in reverse with explosions instead of kung-fu combos.
I can live with that

If the drug makes you perceive time moving at 1% normal speed, wouldn't that make for SUPERB bullet time when aiming for Dredd's facehole? :O

Kenjitsuka:
If the drug makes you perceive time moving at 1% normal speed, wouldn't that make for SUPERB bullet time when aiming for Dredd's facehole? :O

Perception isn't reality.

the trailer gets a big HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

Zingers aside, I actually have a lot of respect for Stallone and think he's one of the most consistently underestimated people in the business. But I'm certainly not above having fun with that perception of him.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm glad to see a woman playing the big bad in a movie like this.

Also, am I thinking too much, or is the setup similar to The Raid?

mad825:

Yeah, I got the whole Nolan-Batman vibe too. And personally, I'd rather see Karl Urban in a Rogue Trooper movie than a Judge Dredd one; he just doesn't seem to have the mean-street 'Punisher-esque' grit you expect from Dredd....even with the 'Renegade Option' at the end of the trailer.

Don Savik:
I've never seen the original, and I have never heard of the comics, and I love campy shlock.......

Two words for you, chum: Tank. Girl. (Ok, it's not 2000AD, but still)

Edit: Oh, oh, oh and check out Six String Samurai as well!

I loved the 95 one just because it was silly, this looks to be meh ok but not as awesome as the 95 one is.

mindlesspuppet:

Andy Chalk:

You're a better actor than a guy who was nominated for an academy award and often considered to have one of the best on-screen performances of all time? What the hell are you writing for the Escapist for then?

I so came into this thread to post this. Seriously. Sly might be a bit of a big dumb goofy action hero these days, but the man can act.

FargoDog:
Is it just me or does this look suspiciously similar to The Raid plotwise? With the whole apartment building, bad guy at the top, gotta reach 'em storyline?

Ah, you beat me to it. Yes... yes it does.

FargoDog:

Yes! That's what I thought when the trailer got going, it seems to be the same scenario, albeit under a different setting.

I never thought I'd say it, but I really don't think anyone could fill Dredd's shoes better than Stallone did. Sure his movie was as campy as a Carry-On film, and he didn't even wear the helmet half the time, but he does have a... presence that just suited this role, and the humungous chin to match it.

Hmmm... it could be good, and there was nothing particularly painful in the trailer. But at the same time, Dredd (and 2000AD in general) was absolutely steeped in a very 80s, very British sense of satire, similar to Warhammer 40K and V For Vendetta. Dredd was and is a satire of the police-state society that was very much coming to the fore in Thatcher-era Britain.

Frankly, with the global economy in the state its in, and the idea of the 'police state' more apt now than ever, the time is absolutely perfect for a Dredd movie that really captures that 80s satire. I hope the film-makers really strive for that...

Are those CGI wide shots of the city unfinished or is that really what it's going to looke like? Because it looks on par with Immortals, and that's a death sentence for this new Dredd movie.

It just goes to show how bland moviemaking has become if this new version makes the original Stallone movie look like peaches and cream.

Preacher zer0:
Great post!

gritty and lean.

I feel this is Dredd from those early days of Wagner and Mills, stories about a future cop... doing his job.

I think the film will show us Dredd as the iconic symbol he is, this is why it's set during Anderson's rookie days, we'll see Dredd as she does, we'll be the silent "other rookie" along for the ride.

Yes for sure, cautious but optimistic... Heck, I even thought the helmet looked pretty good in that trailer.

Visually I Wasn't gone on the helmet or the uniform but yeah, mills and wagner early Dredd look is what struck me as well.... im not over the moon... but i will give it a chance.

As for the plot, something simple like a block crawl up to the villian sounds sweet and simple. A good step i think.

Karl Urban as dredd is an excellent choice and him never taking the helmet off has earned the price of the ticket alone for me.

m going to see the movie, but i dare not hope just yet

He said the line wrong D:

The "LAAAAAWAWWWW" line is the only reason I liked the old Judge Dredd movie, I'm disappointed this film doesn't seem to have same ridiculous appeal.

Stallone did a decent enough job, given the schlock he had to work with.

I actually thoroughly enjoyed the original :) This new one looks to be fairly good as well, but in an entirely different manner. While the old one was just plain entertaining in all its goofyness, this one might be successful with a more serious tone.

I'll definitely watch it.

meh, production for this has been kind of troubled and the trailer does nothing for me. Probably just going to be another mediocre movie that will be forgotten quickly

So far, the interesting thing about it that the SLO-MO scenes seem like they were taken out of a comic book panel. The texturing, coloring, highlighting, etc. seems way too intentional.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here