Blizzard Finally Offers Korean Diablo III Players a Refund

Blizzard Finally Offers Korean Diablo III Players a Refund

Blizzard reacts to South Korean government's investigation.

It looks like saying "I'm sorry" wasn't enough to keep Blizzard out of trouble in South Korea, as the company is now offering Korean players of Diablo III a full refund to compensate for any issues they may have had trying to play the game at launch.

The decision to offer up refunds came several weeks after South Korea's Fair Trade Commission launched an investigation into Blizzard's business practices after receiving multiple complaints regarding customers who weren't given refunds after experiencing server connectivity issues. As it turns out, South Korea's consumer protection laws guarantee refunds if there's an issue with a product or service that's not the fault of the consumer. FTC even went to far as to raid Blizzard's Seoul office to secure documents and other evidence related to their investigation.

I n a posting on the Korean version of Battle.net, Blizzard revealed a program allowing players who are less than level 40 to apply for a refund from June 25th to July 3rd. Blizzard will also institute a new policy of accepting returns within 14 days of purchase for players under level 20.

Source: Wall Street Journal

I wonder if this will start to set a precedent across other countries. Also wondering if it applies if the problem is that of the ISP, considering I've had multiple problems which weren't MY fault, or the companies but the ISP interfering with packages and such.

What does this have to do with the level of the characters?

triorph:

if they have a lvl 40+ character they clearly love the game and don't want a refund. probably what they are thinking.

Evil Smurf:

triorph:

if they have a lvl 40+ character they clearly love the game and don't want a refund. probably what they are thinking.

That's frighteningly plausible. I'll go with a matter of guessing that someone with characters less than level 40 haven't played it much. I'm still going with Evil Smurf's suggestion though, it somehow smells less of bullshit.

Elate:
I wonder if this will start to set a precedent across other countries. Also wondering if it applies if the problem is that of the ISP, considering I've had multiple problems which weren't MY fault, or the companies but the ISP interfering with packages and such.

To be honest I think you totally should be able to get your money back if you play some of the game and think it's god awful. This could be difficult for console games as the player could have simply completed the game in quick time and taken it back. However for a game purchased on steam (or another distribution service like origin, but lets face it, steam is the best) then you could fire off an email, you're save game is on steam cloud, they see you've played it for 2 hours and gotten 15% of the way through, then they could accept the refund.

It would persuade people to try games... But then again that's what demo levels are for.

ScruffyMcBalls:

Evil Smurf:

triorph:

That's frighteningly plausible. I'll go with a matter of guessing that someone with characters less than level 40 haven't played it much. I'm still going with Evil Smurf's suggestion though, it somehow smells less of bullshit.

Or if they've managed to make it past level 40, they really aren't having any refund worthy difficulties.

LordFish:

Elate:

To be honest I think you totally should be able to get your money back if you play some of the game and think it's god awful. This could be difficult for console games as the player could have simply completed the game in quick time and taken it back. However for a game purchased on steam (or another distribution service like origin, but lets face it, steam is the best) then you could fire off an email, you're save game is on steam cloud, they see you've played it for 2 hours and gotten 15% of the way through, then they could accept the refund.

It would persuade people to try games... But then again that's what demo levels are for.

Too many ways they could be cheated if they let you return games. Besides, that's what piracy is for.

To quote a metacritic review, slightly paraphrased for clarity:

"If Diablo III is going to need to be always online just to be playable, then Blizzard have to be always online in order to allow you to play it."

It's wonderful to see that Blizzard are going to have to take a serious hoof to the nuts in one way or the other over this debacle. It's utterly shameful that they can demand that players constantly connect to the internet in order to access the portions of the game which should run perfectly well offline thereby denying the game to anyone without a stable internet connection, refuse to admit that this is a draconian attempt at DRM, fail to provide the service that makes the game actually playable and thus deprive players of their money's worth, and yet act as though they still deserved the full asking price of the game.

Everyone who stood up for Blizzard when the initial debacle went down should feel slightly ashamed of themselves for being so damn eager to take it up the backpipe.

mindlesspuppet:

Too many ways they could be cheated if they let you return games. Besides, that's what piracy is for.

>,< I see no way how anyone could take advantage of that on steam.

DVS BSTrD:

ScruffyMcBalls:

Evil Smurf:

Or if they've managed to make it past level 40, they really aren't having any refund worthy difficulties.

Kinda what I was getting at, but I guess I'm too tired to make sense or something... Meow.

ScruffyMcBalls:

DVS BSTrD:

ScruffyMcBalls:

Kinda what I was getting at, but I guess I'm too tired to make sense or something... Meow.

^*scratches behind the ears*^
That'll do Scruffy, That'll do.

LordFish:

mindlesspuppet:

>,< I see no way how anyone could take advantage of that on steam.

You don't have to use the cloud for saves. You don't have to play games with Steam connected, thus it couldn't track hours that way either. Also saves don't generally count the time actually played. That is to say, if you save a game, play 2 more hours without saving, die, and restart at that save, then it starts tracking time at the 2 hour mark again.

All that being said, it's not Valve's fault if a developer makes a shitty game and you buy it. Allowing people to return games would either force Valve to absorb the losses on something they had no control over or pass their losses onto us in the form of higher prices.

DVS BSTrD:

ScruffyMcBalls:

DVS BSTrD:

Purrrr and then *Le sleep.

mindlesspuppet:
snip.

steam counts hours played, and obviously there would be a short time period on it, 3 to 5 days, and no more than 3 hours played something like that.

Infact steam keeps offering me 3 day free play on various games, so they're obviously moving towards something like this, and it would persuade people to buy games more games, making steam and the developers more money.

Not saying it's perfect, but there's the makings of a "money back guarantee" for video games, if the model didn't work supermarkets wouldn't push so much.

LordFish:

mindlesspuppet:
snip.

steam counts hours played, and obviously there would be a short time period on it, 3 to 5 days, and no more than 3 hours played something like that.

Infact steam keeps offering me 3 day free play on various games, so they're obviously moving towards something like this, and it would persuade people to buy games more games, making steam and the developers more money.

Not saying it's perfect, but there's the makings of a "money back guarantee" for video games, if the model didn't work supermarkets wouldn't push so much.

Yeah but there's a big difference between letting a customer buy a $1 bag of chips, and then giving them a new bag or refund if they were stale, and refunding a $60 game just cause they didn't like the game. I mean really, a company has to be accountable for my personal taste in games?

Also I just want to clarify I'm not talking about if the game isn't working, which was the case with Diablo, just if the player doesn't like the game, which is something that other posters have been bringing up.

LordFish:

mindlesspuppet:
snip.

Like I said in my previous post, you don't have to play games with Steam connected, thus it doesn't count hours.

And yes Steam has free weekends so you can play games and decide if you want them. They also make game demos readily available. All these options are try before you buy, once you buy you're pretty much committed to that purchase. Maybe in the future Steam will have timed trials on all their games, but offering refunds if you don't like a game I can't imagine happening. Again that'd force them to absorb all the merchant fees, which aren't insignificant.

Supermarkets push a money back guarantee? I think you might mean department stores. I'm not sure I can get a refund on a half eaten pack of bacon. Though some brands will offer a Satisfaction Guarantee, but that is through the company making the product, not the supermarket.

ScruffyMcBalls:

Evil Smurf:

triorph:

Good luck finding a Korean under level 40, amiright?

OT: Good. Maybe that'll teach Blizzard that next time they think always online is a good idea, they should slap themselves in the balls with a fly swatter.

DVS BSTrD:

ScruffyMcBalls:

Evil Smurf:

My point was that the original complaint was about the original down-time, and people may have got to level40+ since that down-time but still have been affected by it (and thus by south korea's standards, due to a refund). So I'm curious how they can add this little caveat on there, even if in the end it doesn't matter because as you say, people who made it to 40+ probably want to keep playing the game.

ScruffyMcBalls:

DVS BSTrD:

ScruffyMcBalls:

Purrrr and then *Le sleep.

D'awww. So cute! <3

OT: A lot of negative publicity for Blizzard around. I wonder how they're actually doing financially after you account for production costs (including advertising, etc) and refunds/returns.

If their going to only allow it up to a certain level then the Koreans arent seeing anything, these are the guys who beat it in about 6 hours after launch dont forget. I think people deserve something in return for such poor performance, free DLC? Im sure if we demanded whatever they wanted to sell as DLC for free considering the DRM they would oblige in lieu of losing a great deal of customers.

DVS BSTrD:

ScruffyMcBalls:

Evil Smurf:

It's 30-40 hours on average to get to level 60.

Let's intrapolate and say 20 hours to get to level 40. 5 Hours a week, anymore than that and you're SOL.

LordFish:

Elate:

Hell I'd love it if steam even took the steps to insure that the games they distribute even launch. Considering they don't even do this, I think it will be a cold day in hell before they do anything as far as offering refunds even for legit problems.

Rednog:

LordFish:

Elate:

Hell I'd love it if steam even took the steps to insure that the games they distribute even launch. Considering they don't even do this, I think it will be a cold day in hell before they do anything as far as offering refunds even for legit problems.

Ye had a game I got on steam that flat out would not work, the only game it has ever happened to me with and have 40+ games on my pc. Was a bit bummed and asked for a refund and was basicly told to get lost and that its 'not our problem' haha

Now if only the rest of the world would wake up and realise that this shit is unacceptable and call Blizz out on it.

You should not be allowed to get a refund for a game or movie that you bought. you made your personal decision to buy it and if you havent read up on it before it is YOUR OWN FAULT. and yes, pre-ordering is like buying a cat in a bag and is STUPID.

I'm interested in how many more copies of D3 will be released when Korea's law against buying pixels with real money comes into effect.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here