CCP Reveals How Dust 514 and Eve Online Interact

CCP Reveals How Dust 514 and Eve Online Interact

CCP has a "four-year roadmap" planned.

Dust 514 is CCP's upcoming free-to-play PS3 shooter that will link up with the space simulator EvE Online to create the first shared gaming universe. This means that a battle to say, conquer a planet, will now require spaceships and infantry to complete complimentary goals. Even so, developer CCP has kept pretty quiet on specific game mechanics that show how the worlds will fit together. Senior producer Jon Lander opened up recently in an interview with Eurogamer, sharing not only details about new gameplay mechanics, but that the designers have four and a half years of content planned for the interconnected games.

At launch, the games will begin with shared chat channels, markets and, obviously, maps which can then be ironed out for bugs and balance issues on a larger scale. "We're going to start on that," Lander said. "We have a lot of dials we can tweak to balance it, because no one's done this before, we don't know how it will exactly turn out."

Once any quirks are ironed out, CCP will start rolling out additional resource sharing and building creation tools that encourage interaction between players in space and planetside, best represented by giant freaking space elevators. "If you take all the districts in death matches, you take over control of the planet and get the [Surface Control Center]" Lander explained. "If you and somebody in Eve are allied - so, in Eve you've got control of the Orbital Control Centre - then you get a space elevator, which makes the transport of goods and services that much easier and cheaper."

According to Lander, there will be many more features added in the upcoming years, but right now the most important thing is Dust's release and integration into Eve's servers. "Right now, Dust is working on its own production server" Lander detailed. "As we go through the summer, we're going to move [Dust] on to Eve's public test server, so that will be when two games first sort of link up."

For anyone hoping to try out Dust 514 beforehand, an open beta begins on June 29th.

Source: Eurogamer

Sounds good, but I think the big problem is going to be the fact the EVEs player base tend to be total jerks.

albino boo:
Sounds good, but I think the big problem is going to be the fact the EVEs player base tend to be total jerks.

Yup, the only things you hear from the game are "look how much this guy fucked over these people!"

I find it surprising and disappointing that a game which is linked in with a PC only game is only offered on the PS3.

Many people who play EVE only own a PC, albeit a sometimes powerful one.I suppose the idea behind the console only release is to keep mega-corporations like Goonswarm from completly dominating the game in the first three months. However, their decision to release it exclusively on the PS3 rubs me the wrong way. I doubt this will hinder them for long, however, as it is very likely that the mega-corps will find a way to fund an effort to give designated peoples free PS3 for the sole purpose of supporting their interests on the ground. I am sure that this is not unfeasible for them.

I also fear that this will set the learning curve even steeper for people trying to get into EVE. In my books, it has already cemented itself as highly interesting and utterly terrifying.

It is my sincere hope that some savvy soul will make a mod for Sins of a Solar Empire or X3 based off of the game because if you are like myself then you prefer keeping human interaction in your games to a minimum.

I suppose the idea behind the console only release is to keep mega-corporations like Goonswarm from completely dominating the game in the first three months.

EDIT: On another subject entirely, do people recommend buying X3 Terran Conflict? Its $15 on Steam. I have heard it be called the single player EVE by EVE players.

Does it have the same basic premise of ship design? You buy a model and then add guns and other modules?

Does it allow you to pilot capital ships and direct fleets?

Can you create billion dollar space corporations?

this looks cool, I don't play eve though, don't plan too either

SacremPyrobolum:
EDIT: On another subject entirely, do people recommend buying X3 Terran Conflict? Its $15 on Steam. I have heard it be called the single player EVE by EVE players.

Does it have the same basic premise of ship design? You buy a model and then add guns and other modules?

X3 is a great series, I woul heartily recommend it.

ANd as for your questions, yes you buy a basic model ship then install the weapons and modules you like

Yes you can pilot from a shuttle or fighter up to a massive freighter or battleship/carrier

Yes you can start with nothing and end up owning a corporation worth billions and own half of the universe.

The key here, with such a long plan, is to make the shooter interesting. If people lose interest in the multiplayer fast, it will all fail.

FelixG:

SacremPyrobolum:

ANd as for your questions, yes you buy a basic model ship then install the weapons and modules you like

Yes you can pilot from a shuttle or fighter up to a massive freighter or battleship/carrier

Yes you can start with nothing and end up owning a corporation worth billions and own half of the universe.

Could you customize the crew compliment as well? Assign officers like Chief of Navigation and such to give you bonuses? What is the learning curve like?

SacremPyrobolum:

FelixG:

SacremPyrobolum:

Could you customize the crew compliment as well? Assign officers like Chief of Navigation and such to give you bonuses? What is the learning curve like?

Sadly there was no factor for crew, but I am sure in the thousands of mods for the game you could find one that adds crew.

The learning curve is pretty low, and the game is decently forgiving. I would recommend looking up an exterior tutorial when it comes to stations though. That is one part of the game that can really eat you alive if you aren't careful.

TheBobmus:
The key here, with such a long plan, is to make the shooter interesting. If people lose interest in the multiplayer fast, it will all fail.

One of the functions they are implementing in the game is the loss of resources (weapons, armor, power-up) upon death, the same applying to vehicles.

Every piece of gear you own is a piece you bought will be lost upon death.

This will serve to either keep people from stopping play because they have ascertained the highest gear possible or will make multitudes rage quit in frustration.

SacremPyrobolum:

TheBobmus:

One of the functions they are implementing in the game is the loss of resources (weapons, armor, power-up) upon death, the same applying to vehicles.

Every piece of gear you own is a piece you bought will be lost upon death.

This will serve to either keep people from stopping play because they have ascertained the highest gear possible or will make multitudes rage quit in frustration.

Im guessing the latter, Gamers are.... 'special' when it comes to permadeath or total item loss upon death.

Some see it as a challenge, something that punishes them for messing up, and teaches them there is value to be had if you are better than everyone else [thus getting more kills].

Others see it as arbitrary way of prolonging gameplay. 'Oh, you died and lost all your good gear? well, better play some more to get enough money to buy it all back n00b!', in which players will stop playing a game they feel is unjustly punishing them, or feel like the grind is too much.

Ha, just realized that, using the word 'Grind' in the Eve-verse, like that never fucking happens.

Still though, I love me some FPS'es, I love them even more when they have some sort of MMO aspect about them; The MMOFPS genre is a small and dying one.

Cant wait to take over the numerous gold seller planets and fuck up the economy next December.

FelixG:

SacremPyrobolum:

FelixG:

Sadly there was no factor for crew, but I am sure in the thousands of mods for the game you could find one that adds crew.

The learning curve is pretty low, and the game is decently forgiving. I would recommend looking up an exterior tutorial when it comes to stations though. That is one part of the game that can really eat you alive if you aren't careful.

One last question. Is the M2 destroyer the largest combat ship in the game?

I know I am getting ahead of myself, but having a long-term goal serves to excite!

Do you recommend any mods? So far I am eyeing the Valhalla mod, a simple modification that adds the legendary Valhalla to playable ships (is this correct?)

SacremPyrobolum:

FelixG:

SacremPyrobolum:

One last question. Is the M2 destroyer the largest combat ship in the game?

I know I am getting ahead of myself, but having a long-term goal serves to excite!

Do you recommend any mods?

Well cannonly the M0 is the largest combat ship and is classed as a battleship. I believe the Terran part of X3 contains one. but yeah the M2s are the biggest you can realistically expect to use, and build if you aspire to it!

There was one mod I was fond of which let you set up your own task forces and level up captains in your own fleet, but for the life of me I cant remember its name, im sorry.

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewforum.php?f=94 Here is the modding forum for you to check out!

albino boo:

Asses to Asses and Dust to Dust.

albino boo:

Not all of us. There are a few (albeit very few) of us that are decent well rounded individuals that like the game.

I am Gilhelmi, Industrialist and Research personnel extraordinaire. I even have a couple of Billion in assets. Though with recent inflation that is not as impressive as it once was.

OT: Darn, I swore that I would never, EVER, buy a PS3. Dust541 might just force my hand into an unholy union.

Gilhelmi:

albino boo:

Not all of us. There are a few (albeit very few) of us that are decent well rounded individuals that like the game.

I am Gilhelmi, Industrialist and Research personnel extraordinaire. I even have a couple of Billion in assets. Though with recent inflation that is not as impressive as it once was.

OT: Darn, I swore that I would never, EVER, buy a PS3. Dust541 might just force my hand into an unholy union.

Welcome to the fold! I for one bought a ps3 months ago when i signed up for the beta to only just recently aquire the access code. now i play it more than my 360.

I'd love it if this was on pc too! But oh well :(

All I want is a spaceship that I can take from the surface of a planet to space and then explore the whole EVE universe from first person...that would be sweet...

Piflik:
All I want is a spaceship that I can take from the surface of a planet to space and then explore the whole EVE universe from first person...that would be sweet...

Get evochron mercenary then it has a fairly steep learning curve and the combat is brutal but you can do what you just described apart from it not being set in the eve universe.

Matthew94:

albino boo:

Yup, the only things you hear from the game are "look how much this guy fucked over these people!"

Yeah, because the stories where you meet a great bunch of guys and build up a cool corporation and generally just have fun tend to make for pretty boring news.

Matthew94:

albino boo:

Depends really on how much attention you pay to EvE.

If you're just watching major gaming sites then all you're going to see is a report once every year of someone stealing in-game items with a RL worth of several thousand dollars, if not much more.

But if you delve deeper you'll find there's much more to the game than that. There's been stories about a corp mate in the US suffering a major injury but being unable to pay for treatment, preventing him from working and thus paying and playing the game. The entire corporation subsequently chipped in with their own money to pay for his treatment.

Inter-corp relations in the game are often strained. But once you've found a good corporation and settled in as a trusted member you won't find anything quite like it in any other game. Some of the best online friends I've made I've made through EvE.

The game likes to pretend it's entirely made up out of tough assholes who don't take shit from nobody. But the reality is quite different. Just look at things like EvE university, an entire corporation dedicated purely to teaching new players the ropes and giving them free stuff.

Just check out their website and tell me if there's any guild you know of in any other game that goes that far to helping out new players.

albino boo:

and an average console FPS player is different how? Oh right, the console guy also posts his jerkiness on youtube claiming to be number 1 troll.

It's free to play? Sweet.

Can't wait to see how this experiment turns out. :P

albino boo:

Matthew94:

Eh, it may seem like this - but it's not when you take a look at that Eve is. It's PvP - all of it, including PvE - and a large portion of Eve lies in the meta-game. Stealing is more akin to killing someone else in a sanctioned PvP area in other MMOs. If you look at the game and go "oh wow! I love the sandbox where the players run everything, but I wont play because I might get screwed over!" you're missing the point. A part of having people run the show is that it's competitive.

This leads to an odd situation where the player base tends to be more respectful than other games, but the game play competitive nature leads us to fight among each other. This is best exampled in why most people do the things that make head lines; money, fame and power. It's rarely ever for grief or for the "lulz" (even Goonswarm is motivated more by money and fame than shear shits and giggles).

There are other ventures too that you rarely see elsewhere; particularly training corporations built to help new players. I actually ran the so called "boot-camp" portion of a 100+ man pirate alliance for a time (and it should be noted that pirates are typically considered some of the worst people in Eve, and here we are actively seeking to help rookies).

This is something that hasn't been done before? Really? I would have expected this to be at least slightly familiar territory.

That's actually the biggest surprise for me...but whatever. If this is something new (somehow!), all the more luck to them. Gotta have someone pioneer the experience I guess, and it is a setup with good potential.

Matthew94:

albino boo:

Yes, it's so much like real business, it's scary.

Well, I haven't played EVE for a while, but I can't see this ending well. The reason is that people put a lot of time and effort into their little empires in EVE, and a lot of the people doing it have no real talent for, or desire to play, FPS-type games, especially competitive ones. By all accounts the interaction between the sides means that someone playing DUST can say take over someone's planets or bases in EVE, without much they can do to stop them, unless they also play DUST.

I am utterly pants at EVE (I am poor, and badly equipped when I play, despite a years old account that has been activated sporadically, I mostly login once in a while and space mine while using it as a glorified chat client), but honestly I can't see this ending well, I can understand CCP's experiment, but it's two entirely contridictory game styles. Basically the EVE players can't really ignore it, and for all the griefing that already goes on, it seems like an invitation for FPS sadists to grief the EVE community.

TheBobmus:

This is my thought as well.

All of this talk of integration between two completely different genres and two different platforms is intriguing. I have little personal interst in playing either of the involved games, but I find the idea fascinating. The problem is, if the actual gameplay of the shooter side is poor or even just mediocre, especially given that it's on PS3 and not the system native to the original game, all of the grand ideas will be for nothing.

Therumancer:
Well, I haven't played EVE for a while, but I can't see this ending well. The reason is that people put a lot of time and effort into their little empires in EVE, and a lot of the people doing it have no real talent for, or desire to play, FPS-type games, especially competitive ones. By all accounts the interaction between the sides means that someone playing DUST can say take over someone's planets or bases in EVE, without much they can do to stop them, unless they also play DUST.

that's why these guys are mercs. If another entity is trying to muscle in on your turf you pay to hot drop in some mercs to kick them back out.

If you dont want to deal with that, recruit your own DIRT soldiers to engage them and kick them out.

And I am sure some of the following notable merc groups will be expanding their operations to Dust:

Pandemic Legion
Noir
Narwhals ate my Duck

I am looking forward to this new aspect of warfare in EVE.

Why they made this PS3 only still escapes me. Another poster pointed out it could be to prevent the mega corporations to keep their edge. I don't think this logic holds. Out of the, what, 3000 players in, say, GoonSwarm, how many do you think have a PS3? If it's only 10%, that's already 300 players. And SomethingAwful has got way more users they could draw recruits from.

Additionally, I'm really not buying a PS3 for this and I doubt other would. I would have played the game (and most likely spent a few bucks into it) if it had been PC. Even if I had had a PS3, I wouldn't have played Dust 514 on it because FPS on consoles are just not the same.

Matthew94:

albino boo:

This is just... wrong.

The EvE community is probably the most mature and generous player base in any MMO I've played. Yes, people grief, steal, and pirate left and right; that's part of the game. By signing up you are agreeing to a no-holds-barred battle with every other player where trust is hard won and easily lost. Players that can't handle that quickly leave.

I doubt you consider someone who beats you in chess to be a "jerk", nor someone who bluffs in poker... why is playing this game to win any different?

aegix drakan:
It's free to play? Sweet.

Can't wait to see how this experiment turns out. :P

If this becomes successful (I currently see no reason why it shouldn't) It could set a trend for more PC to console interaction minus "FPS PC vs console FPS" action (that's obvious) but I wouldn't mind it in RTSs and MMOs

Furism:
Why they made this PS3 only still escapes me. Another poster pointed out it could be to prevent the mega corporations to keep their edge. I don't think this logic holds. Out of the, what, 3000 players in, say, GoonSwarm, how many do you think have a PS3? If it's only 10%, that's already 300 players. And SomethingAwful has got way more users they could draw recruits from.

Additionally, I'm really not buying a PS3 for this and I doubt other would. I would have played the game (and most likely spent a few bucks into it) if it had been PC. Even if I had had a PS3, I wouldn't have played Dust 514 on it because FPS on consoles are just not the same.

the main reason for the ps3 exclusive is because microsoft's policy is too restrictive to what ccp wants. even Sony had a few restrictions but made an exception for dust to let it be able to do what it does.

secondly. no pc port because they want to do pc and consul crossover. they dont want to make a game in competition with eve. and i think its also because sony has another mmofps f2p coming out for pc already.

also.. can you imagine the rage people would have with dust being on consul and pc.. pc will have a clear advantage. which is exactly why consul x pc fps never worked.

they wanted to make a game available to a different audience. and honsetly.. all the fps's that will be coming out on ps3 will now have a very high bar of competiton. i mean.. why pay for a 60 dollar shooter when you can join one for free. Same thing with planetside 2 coming out for pc.

honestly.. i think microsofts restrictions really will put it behind the others. you will probably never be able to get a f2p on the 360.

anyways. thats my 2cents.

FelixG:

Therumancer:

that's why these guys are mercs. If another entity is trying to muscle in on your turf you pay to hot drop in some mercs to kick them back out.

If you dont want to deal with that, recruit your own DIRT soldiers to engage them and kick them out.

And I am sure some of the following notable merc groups will be expanding their operations to Dust:

Pandemic Legion
Noir
Narwhals ate my Duck

I am looking forward to this new aspect of warfare in EVE.

Well, see the thing is that the guy playing EVE might not want to have to deal with anyone else for this kind of thing, a lot of people like to remain more or less independant. To someone who wants to pretty much do their own thing, or with a very specific group of people, and who have no real interest in FPSes, being told they now have to pay other players to play DUST for them or pay money into the system (and face it, AI defenders will never be as good as people).

I think it's kind of a no win scenario for CCP to be honest, given the option I'm pretty sure most of the existing EVE player would choose to opt out if they could (and they won't be able to, because that would defeat the purpose).

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here