The Witcher Dev: Booth Babes Are the "Cheapest Trick"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Witcher Dev: Booth Babes Are the "Cheapest Trick"

CD Projekt says companies will use booth babes as long as a receptive audience exists.

CD Projekt hasn't shied away from sexual content in either of the Witcher games, but CEO, Marcin Iwinski, argues there's a big difference between using sex to tell a story and using it to sell a product.

"I think, at the end of the day, it's all about making a great story. We're not using things like sex for cheap tricks and draw some male audience to that," he told Rock Paper Shotgun. "That'd totally make no sense."

This year's E3 has been heavily criticized for its sexualized content, both in the games on display and on the show floor in the form of booth babes.

"I think it will always happen as long as a part of your audience is male," said Iwinski. "The cheapest trick is to grab a fancy car and put a booth babe next to it. So yes, it's there. I don't think having a presentation where it's a major part of a game is necessarily a problem. It makes sense, because the game is defending itself. So it's just a part of the world. Some people will overuse it. Others won't."

Iwinski argues that developers should have the right to present game worlds as they see fit, and with as much sexual content as their stories require. He believes the gaming public - which is becoming more rounded and diverse if the vitriolic responses to the trailers for Hitman: Absolution and Tomb Raider are anything to go by - will discourage developers and publishers from using sex and sexualized content irresponsibly.

"Yes, it could alienate audiences," he said. "But you have to look at it from the quality of the product perspective. If it's overused [in marketing], it probably won't be a big product anyway. Really, I think the market is eliminating all the weaknesses and all the cheap tricks."

He did however, add that hormonally-driven trailers will be around as long as there are hormonally-driven gamers.

"But, at the end of the day, males are making certain decisions through hormones," he said. "People are paid to take care of the market and know it very well. Am I offended in some of these cases? Sure. And when people don't do [these sorts of things] well, it's obvious and there's a lot of criticism around it. But you really have to look at it on a product-by-product basis. And then it really depends on somebody's taste. "

Source: Rock Paper Shotgun

"Using sex to sell stuff is totally wrong, but it's different when we do it!"

You know, I get the feeling this guy never played The Witcher.

The only storytelling I managed to glean from my five hours with it was that any female character with a name wants to fuck the main character. That name might be something as simple as "Waitress C", doesn't really matter.

Well, I suppose when you've done it before for your game, you know exactly what it looks like.

Sex cards, anyone?

Well you can't the don't turn tricks into profit.

Zachary Amaranth:

He thinks that it is inherently more respectable to honestly sell sex as part of a product when it has been installed under the hood during part of the creation process, then if it was draped over the bonnet after the finished product has been placed on the showroom floor and is ready for sale.

You might not agree with what he is saying, but he is being consistent.

Thank you. Gott love CD Projekt. Best company of this generation. Though the fact that the original Witcher had collectible sex cards makes me chuckle a bit. Who knows, maybe they just grew out of it, since Witcher 2 handles sex in the most mature way I have ever seen a video game handle sex.

He does kind of bring up a good point.

People wont take a product very seriously if they have booth babes around it.
"HEY LOOK TITS!" Sure that gets some people interested.

But lots of other people just find it immature.

Man I wish I knew how that worked. You see a hot girl with nice boobs next to a COD booth or whatever and suddenly you are interested in COD. Wheres the logic? Being a gay male isn't helping me on that matter. ><

ThreeKneeNick:
Man I wish I knew how that worked. You see a hot girl with nice boobs next to a COD booth or whatever and suddenly you are interested in COD. Wheres the logic? Being a gay male isn't helping me on that matter. ><

In which case, replace the lady with what you'd consider "sexual perfection" Maybe a Calvin Klein model *shrug*

And it makes sense, some people see good looking ladies, and then wonder what the game has to do with said ladies, so they check the game out.

JaceArveduin:

ThreeKneeNick:

In which case, replace the lady with what you'd consider "sexual perfection" Maybe a Calvin Klein model *shrug*

And it makes sense, some people see good looking ladies, and then wonder what the game has to do with said ladies, so they check the game out.

I thought of it like that and it wouldn't work. I'd stare at the model and ignore the product...

Besides, if we're talking of a gaming convention here, everybody is obviously there to check out the games, they don't need models to draw anyone's attention.

ThreeKneeNick:

JaceArveduin:

ThreeKneeNick:

I thought of it like that and it wouldn't work. I'd stare at the model and ignore the product...

Besides, if we're talking of a gaming convention here, everybody is obviously there to check out the games, they don't need models to draw anyone's attention.

Well, that's the logic behind it, and it's not something unique to the gaming industry. I personally don't think it's quite as effective as they make it out to be, but I'm not complaining about the ladies either, but I'm probably just a shallow shabuir or something

JaceArveduin:

ThreeKneeNick:

JaceArveduin:

Well, that's the logic behind it, and it's not something unique to the gaming industry. I personally don't think it's quite as effective as they make it out to be, but I'm not complaining about the ladies either, but I'm probably just a shallow shabuir or something

yeah. by the way, I went to your profile and clicked the red button. Argh he is everywhere now.

ThreeKneeNick:

yeah. by the way, I went to your profile and clicked the red button. Argh he is everywhere now.

You poor poor soul, I shall pray that the gods of the internet will show mercy upon thee.

I love CDPROJEKT, but this comment was dumb for it's like the pot calling the kettle black..

It sounds way less hypocritical in the original interview:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06/21/cd-projekt-on-game-of-thrones-sexs-place-in-gaming/

To them it was little more than window dressing that helped to flavor the world. It was never meant to sell people on the game.

Mcoffey:
It sounds way less hypocritical in the original interview:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06/21/cd-projekt-on-game-of-thrones-sexs-place-in-gaming/

To them it was little more than window dressing that helped to flavor the world. It was never meant to sell people on the game.

It also perfectly fit the character of Geralt.

I'm not going to get into arguments with people who "don't get it" because that's a long bridge to cross. Would be like trying to explain Tale of Two Cities to someone.

But there was nothing about the sexuality of either Geralt or the people he met that should have been surprising. Nor was any of it jarringly out of place.

That's all I can say, the rest would just involve people either reading the books or actually reading the dialogue in game. Because it smells like this is not the case.

JaceArveduin:

ThreeKneeNick:

You poor poor soul, I shall pray that the gods of the internet will show mercy upon thee.

You had to tempt me didn't you. I didn't even know about it, then you said, and I just had to. Might as well play the music to try and overload my senses with pain now.

OT: I don't understand s- Well no, I understand the principle, but personally, I don't understand how it affects people as it does.. I see a model male or female next to any product and immediately think "Ohey a cheap, probably poor product that is trying to sell itself by attaching unrelated erotica"

It doesn't get me interested in it, in fact I find it more awkward than anything, and vaguely insulting. The Witcher I gotta agree, was different, alright it had the sex cards, those were amusing, but frankly they built Geralt as that kind of character anyway, it was believable that he just went around banging everyone.. He was like James Bond of the fantasy world to me, you don't gawk and get angry over it, you laugh and go "OH YOU". Booth babes, especially when tagged onto something unrelated, just seem plain weird, like someone trying to sell potatoes by hiring a model to shelve them in her cleavage.

ThreeKneeNick:

JaceArveduin:

ThreeKneeNick:

You're right, games ARE the reason everybody is there. Which means that the booths have to find some other way to stand out. Some companies choose to sit a bimbo with big tits next to their booth to do this. It's not necessarily about associating the product with the bimbo; it's more about getting your attention in the first place, under the assumption that you're there to check out the video games and will therefore check out their booth after you're done having a look at the flesh.

I'm usually disgusted by boothbabes. In fact, I can't recall an instance I'v ever not been. People putting something I want next to a "babe", and making it obviously clear to me that the "babe" is only there because they want to sell something, just feels like an insult to my intelligence.
"Hey, you're a man! And a gamer! So you must be lonely and never see boobs! So here are boobs, NOW BUY OUR SHIT!".

Fuck. You.

Paradoxrifts:

Zachary Amaranth:

He thinks that it is inherently more respectable to honestly sell sex as part of a product when it has been installed under the hood during part of the creation process, then if it was draped over the bonnet after the finished product has been placed on the showroom floor and is ready for sale.

You might not agree with what he is saying, but he is being consistent.

Except their games don't do that, therefore problem.

Um, buddy, you do know that you collected naughty pictures of the ladies you slept with in the first game right. How exactly does that "Drive the story"?

I am slowly despising CD Projekt more and more. Never before has a company been so up itself and eager to embrace a hipster attitude. Oh and the hypocrisy, too.

Clearing the Eye:
I am slowly despising CD Projekt more and more. Never before has a company been so up itself and eager to embrace a hipster attitude. Oh and the hypocrisy, too.

You did read the interview? Remember that part where he addressed the sex cards and explained them in quite a substantial manner? Also remember that part where they're not in the Witcher 2, a more recent game? So basically what we can say is they've learned that an international audience won't always appreciate them.

A second note, this is mostly talking about booth babes, which in fact are not part of the game last time I checked. So at least CDP:R was honest in their sexual content whereas a 'booth babe' at a COD booth is not accurately portraying the content of the video game.

So lets try reading before we snap immediately mmmkay?

Lost In The Void:

Clearing the Eye:

You did read the interview? Remember that part where he addressed the sex cards and explained them in quite a substantial manner? Also remember that part where they're not in the Witcher 2, a more recent game? So basically what we can say is they've learned that an international audience won't always appreciate them.

A second note, this is mostly talking about booth babes, which in fact are not part of the game last time I checked. So at least CDP:R was honest in their sexual content whereas a 'booth babe' at a COD booth is not accurately portraying the content of the video game.

Because they toned it down a tonne for the sequel, right? Absolutely no provocative material there for its own sake, right? Mhm. Quite mature and artistic, isn't it ;)

Clearing the Eye:

Lost In The Void:

Clearing the Eye:

Because they toned it down a tonne for the sequel, right? Absolutely no provocative material there for its own sake, right? Mhm. Quite mature and artistic, isn't it ;)

Yes because whorehouses never happened in that period of time right? Nope never at all. And people most definitely didn't fuck either when they loved each other, nah sex is waaaay too wrong for that. To assume that sex is inserted just for the sake of being there in any game whatsoever is just as ignorant as any sexist comments.

This is one thing I've never gotten, even when sex is portrayed correctly, which it was in the Witcher 2, its still just in there for the sake of being there. Really, the sexual interactions between Geralt and other women in the Witcher universe can be chalked up to two things

A. He cares about them
B. The player paid for sex from the whores
C. In the case of one quest, it was a reward selected by the player instead of any other reward

So basically it comes down to player choices influencing what kind of player Geralt is, or a the prestablished relationships that are present in other mediums within the witcher world. Still fail to see why this makes CDP: R ignorant or hypocritical.

It's not a trick.

Maybe to a young teen, but seriously, does this surprise anyone?

Sex has, and will always be, at the forefront of advertisement. Anyone who hasn't figured this out yet, must be young. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...

Nothing wrong with adding eye candy to an event. It's about entertainment.

Lost In The Void:

Clearing the Eye:

Lost In The Void:

Yes because whorehouses never happened in that period of time right? Nope never at all. And people most definitely didn't fuck either when they loved each other, nah sex is waaaay too wrong for that. To assume that sex is inserted just for the sake of being there in any game whatsoever is just as ignorant as any sexist comments.

This is one thing I've never gotten, even when sex is portrayed correctly, which it was in the Witcher 2, its still just in there for the sake of being there. Really, the sexual interactions between Geralt and other women in the Witcher universe can be chalked up to two things

A. He cares about them
C. In the case of one quest, it was a reward selected by the player instead of any other reward

So basically it comes down to player choices influencing what kind of player Geralt is, or a the prestablished relationships that are present in other mediums within the witcher world. Still fail to see why this makes CDP: R ignorant or hypocritical.

They are hypocritical because they pretend to consider sexualized content "cheap" and are more than happy to proclaim themselves above it all, while simultaneously creating games dripping and oozing with sex and handsome, beautiful people. Hate to break it to you, but it would be much more likely the men and women of that era be covered in sores and lice. But here we have a toned, masculine male lead and a trim, proportionality buxom love interest. Why are the characters attractive? Because pretty people sell better than ugly or moderate ones.

Clearing the Eye:

Lost In The Void:

Clearing the Eye:

A. He cares about them

They are hypocritical because they pretend to consider sexualized content "cheap" and are more than happy to proclaim themselves above it all, while simultaneously creating games dripping and oozing with sex and handsome, beautiful people. Hate to break it to you, but it would be much more likely the men and women of that era be covered in sores and lice. But here we have a toned, masculine male lead and a trim, proportionality buxom love interest. Why are the characters attractive? Because pretty people sell better than ugly or moderate ones.

Except that were those people dripping in lice, filth and disease, there were also ugly whores, kings, lords, peasants and the like. Because we have a few attractive people does not invalidate the idea of the ugly people aren't in the game as well.

Second, I'd hardly call Geralt handsome in any way whatsoever. The man is covered toe to head in scars, his face is gashed up to fuck, his eyes are unnatural and unnerving and his hair is a pure white, not exactly showcasing the beauty of youth or anything.

And having...I think its roughly 3 actual sex scenes and like 4 unique whore fucking scenes isn't exactly dripping with sex in my own personal opinion. Is there sexual elements, such as the sorceress general dress of showing off a little too much flesh at points? Yes, I will concede that, but in a game thats roughly 30 hours, that is hardly 'dripping'

Lost In The Void:

Clearing the Eye:

Lost In The Void:

A. He cares about them

Except that were those people dripping in lice, filth and disease, there were also ugly whores, kings, lords, peasants and the like. Because we have a few attractive people does not invalidate the idea of the ugly people aren't in the game as well.

Second, I'd hardly call Geralt handsome in any way whatsoever. The man is covered toe to head in scars, his face is gashed up to fuck, his eyes are unnatural and unnerving and his hair is a pure white, not exactly showcasing the beauty of youth or anything.

And having...I think its roughly 3 actual sex scenes and like 4 unique whore fucking scenes isn't exactly dripping with sex in my own personal opinion. Is there sexual elements, such as the sorceress general dress of showing off a little too much flesh at points? Yes, I will concede that, but in a game thats roughly 30 hours, that is hardly 'dripping'

Yes, of course. The two most important characters of the game just happen to both be toned and handsome. A complete accident that the characters that would be the focal point of the story to the gamer, are beautiful and sexy. How convenient for CD Projekt that the faces of their game turned out to possess the psychical attributes many people seek in love interests. But they certainly didn't design their characters to be appealing! Of course.

I easily consider Geralt handsome. He is the picture of a strong, powerful and chiseled man. Not garish or obscene like a muscle builder, but masculine and dark (except the hair :P). A mature, grizzled face, weary and aged body from a rugged life... He is largely the exact body type many men and women find most sexy. Also, Triss? It'd be a hard argument for someone to convince me she wasn't created with hormones in mind.

What's the big deal? People like sexy people because they're sexy. We want them. We want to look at them. We want to be them. We want to be with them. It's been this way since the dawn of humanity. It's not good and it's not bad. It's as natural and mundane as the desire to breathe air. My problem isn't with sex or using it to sell products; it's with someone claiming it's a bad thing, while designing a game littered with the definition of sex. They chose to have not simply above average people be the face of their product, but actively made them desirable. So too do gaming companies often choose desirable faces to sell their product at conventions.

and using transvestites is even cheaper!

Realitycrash:
I'm usually disgusted by boothbabes. In fact, I can't recall an instance I'v ever not been. People putting something I want next to a "babe", and making it obviously clear to me that the "babe" is only there because they want to sell something, just feels like an insult to my intelligence.
"Hey, you're a man! And a gamer! So you must be lonely and never see boobs! So here are boobs, NOW BUY OUR SHIT!".

Fuck. You.

Thank you, because this is pretty much how I feel every time I've encountered booth babes at conventions. I may stop and look, I am a guy, but it sure isn't going to make me interested in either the product or the booth itself.

Sober Thal:
It's not a trick.

Sex has, and will always be, at the forefront of advertisement. Anyone who hasn't figured this out yet, must be young. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...

This is a huge generalization. Because I don't like it, I must be a teenager? I'm 30 fucking years old! And don't give me drivel about "entertainment" because it's certainly isn't entertaining. I'm not there to see scantily clad women, I'm there to learn about games and what's going on within the industry.

Perhaps sex is at the forefront of advertisement, and perhaps that needs to change. I can take that argument out of E3 entirely and move it to overall ads like commercials and magazine ones, too, if need be. I'm more likely to groan in disgust and ignore something when I see it resorting to sex as a selling point. Essentially, if you need sex appeal to sell your product, it isn't worth my time. And the people running the ads or hiring the "babes" apparently realize this or they wouldn't bother doing it.

Switching gears here.. someone mentioned that it's fine because of the game itself. No, it's not, it's a problem with the game and how excuses get made for everything. Just cause something happened back in those days doesn't mean we need to constantly be reminded of it. Slavery was rampant during the 1800's, why don't we make a game where you play as a trader and you can go into towns and witness slave auctions or beatdowns. After all, by that logic, it's perfectly okay cause hey, that's what happened in those days.

That's right, keep sending the message that women are nothing more than objects to be lusted after. It's gonna seriously help the still current issues of sexism within society.

Hiroshi Mishima:

Sober Thal:
It's not a trick.

This is a huge generalization. Because I don't like it, I must be a teenager? I'm 30 fucking years old! And don't give me drivel about "entertainment" because it's certainly isn't entertaining. I'm not there to see scantily clad women, I'm there to learn about games and what's going on within the industry.

Perhaps sex is at the forefront of advertisement, and perhaps that needs to change. I can take that argument out of E3 entirely and move it to overall ads like commercials and magazine ones, too, if need be. I'm more likely to groan in disgust and ignore something when I see it resorting to sex as a selling point. Essentially, if you need sex appeal to sell your product, it isn't worth my time. And the people running the ads or hiring the "babes" apparently realize this or they wouldn't bother doing it.

Switching gears here.. someone mentioned that it's fine because of the game itself. No, it's not, it's a problem with the game and how excuses get made for everything. Just cause something happened back in those days doesn't mean we need to constantly be reminded of it. Slavery was rampant during the 1800's, why don't we make a game where you play as a trader and you can go into towns and witness slave auctions or beatdowns. After all, by that logic, it's perfectly okay cause hey, that's what happened in those days.

That's right, keep sending the message that women are nothing more than objects to be lusted after. It's gonna seriously help the still current issues of sexism within society.

Okay, it's not about YOU not liking it. Obviously you don't like booth babes, nor do you think they are entertaining. You also 'groan in disgust and ignore' women being hot eye candy. You fail to realize, that this isn't the be all end all selling point. It's there to grab attention, nothing more.

Go on and on about how it isn't worth your time. Believe it or not, you just proved it is worth your time. You have just been played. Your attention was had, and you feel a need to post about it on an online forum. Just like any controversy you have heard about... ninja nun hot sex death ads, whatever... Keeping the flame alive, feeding the trolls, ect... It's all made for people to appreciate, and for people to loath. Either way, it's made to be noticed. Seriously, this is media use 101.

LOL SLAVERY!!!! Is that the point you are trying to make to me? Is that why you quoted me? Seriously?

Keep on keepin on dude. Your point has been lost on me.

If you aren't kidding with the last bit of your post:

-'That's right, keep sending the message that women are nothing more than objects to be lusted after. It's gonna seriously help the still current issues of sexism within society.'-

Don't you realize that it's women who are doing this? I am prepared to show you women who are popular, and make other girls feel cool by being 'that which you don't like' if you really need me to.

Lost In The Void:

Clearing the Eye:

Lost In The Void:

A. He cares about them

Lost, a couple of words for you... Stop. Feeding. The. Troll. If you stop feeding them, they wither and die :)

Clearing the Eye:

triss:hey geralt wanna see my kitty :3 geralt:sure ._. triss:(hands him this pic)ISNT SHE CUTE :D geralt:......

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here