Spray-On Batteries Create Portable, Sticky Power

Spray-On Batteries Create Portable, Sticky Power

Spray cans have never before looked this useful.

Though we may sometimes overlook them, batteries of all stripes play a crucial role in most of our whizz-bang tech gadgetry. They're sometimes cylindrical, sometimes cuboid, sometimes so small we can barely see them; and now, thanks to the work a group of enterprising engineers, they're also available in spray-on form.

In an article published in Scientific Reports, a team from Rice University in Texas demonstrated their technique for using existing spray-paint equipment to spray rechargeable, 0.5 millimeter thick batteries onto a variety of surfaces including ceramic, glass, and steel plates.

They also sprayed a battery onto a beer mug, presumably in preparation for situations involving the phrases "my phone is dead" and "but guys you don't understand, I really need to text her right now." Well, that or they were demonstrating that the batteries function well on curved surfaces. You choose. Either way, the demonstration was a success.

The batteries are composed of five miniscule, distinct layers of compounds commonly found in lithium ion batteries, including one layer made of carbon nanotubes. The outer layer is made of something called poly-methylmethacrylate, which apparently protects the battery at the same time as allowing it to stick to curved surfaces (just like your pint glass, barfly).

Designed to satisfy the need for batteries capable of functioning in a variety of strange shapes and places, the spray-on battery will likely find success in large-scale manufacturing industries thanks to its compatibility with existing spray-stuff-onto-other-stuff technology. The authors cite the possibility of incorporating flat sheets of batteries into the bodies of electric cars, for instance, as a possible application.

Source: BBC

Image: Scientific Reports

What?

I don't... WHAT?

Why would you ever need a SPRAY-ON Battery? Just charge the fecking thing when you're at home!

What unusual environments are people expecting Batteries to work in that they don't already do so in?

Even though I am sceptical about the efficiency compared to regular batteries, but I do have to say that is quite awesome.

"its compatibility with existing spray-stuff-onto-other-stuff technology"
^ i approve of this sentence, however my inner engineer has to point out;
you mean contact molding, cold spray, gel coating and or hand lamination techniques :D

DeepComet5581:
What?

I don't... WHAT?

Why would you ever need a SPRAY-ON Battery? Just charge the fecking thing when you're at home!

What unusual environments are people expecting Batteries to work in that they don't already do so in?

i'm guessing in the situation when you forgot to include a battery box, or sufficient space for a battery capable of driving your device for the desired run-time

also, you could laminate this right into a poster and have it illuminate for extra pizaz
depending how strong the resulting structure is, you could make a micro-lite aircraft out of it's own battery
how's that for power to weight ratio?
it definitely has uses

Remarkable... and you say Cave Johnson isn't involved in this project in anyway?

Is it toxic? I assume so, but is it?

Sounds cool. Though, I think people will be too busy spraying batteries on eachother's faces to care. XD

DeepComet5581:
What?

I don't... WHAT?

I'm more baffled at how this works. The description above says that it has 5 layers, but... its spray on... ? They just create layers when they hit the surface... ? What is the energy output of said battery? How does it work?
SO MANY QUESTIONS.

Hevva:
The authors cite the possibility of incorporating flat sheets of batteries into the bodies of electric cars, for instance, as a possible application.

There will soon come a day when your whole car is covered in batteries.

Conn1496:
Sounds cool. Though, I think people will be too busy spraying batteries on eachother's faces to care. XD

Oh man, combine spray on batteries with some substance that generates electric shocks with a power source.

Napalm shock paste. TAKE THAT DISSIDENTS!

When it comes to portable power sources it, pays to stay current.

Conn1496:

Charged with Assault and Battery.

Only one of the foreseeable steps to create synthetic skin for androids as to avoid the unnecessary huge batteries or power cores.

DVS BSTrD:
When it comes to portable power sources it, pays to stay current.

Conn1496:

Charged with Assault and Battery.

Those puns are shocking, I don't think I have the energy to laugh. XD

Spray... on... batteries? *Head explodes*

That shit is fucking awesome as hell. Come on future! Get here already!

DeepComet5581:
What?

I don't... WHAT?

You must have missed this part...

Hevva:
Designed to satisfy the need for batteries capable of functioning in a variety of strange shapes and places, the spray-on battery will likely find success in large-scale manufacturing industries thanks to its compatibility with existing spray-stuff-onto-other-stuff technology. The authors cite the possibility of incorporating flat sheets of batteries into the bodies of electric cars, for instance, as a possible application.

Does it have any real application to the average Joe? No, but its use in industry and electronics could make quite an impact.

That's all well and good but where the hell are my hover-boards and self lacing shoes? Back to the Future better not have built up my expectations only to spit on them.

Come-on guys, where's my Med-Spray at?!
No not that crap that's already on the market that only clots and disinfectants wounds REAL Med spray!

I mean the ones that heals blunt trauma, deep lacerations, gunshot wounds, blood loss, 3rd degree burns, organ damage and minor non-Tvirus/Parasitic infections INSTANTLY!

The Lugz:
"its compatibility with existing spray-stuff-onto-other-stuff technology"
^ i approve of this sentence, however my inner engineer has to point out;
you mean contact molding, cold spray, gel coating and or hand lamination techniques :D

DeepComet5581:
What?

I don't... WHAT?

i'm guessing in the situation when you forgot to include a battery box, or sufficient space for a battery capable of driving your device for the desired run-time

also, you could laminate this right into a poster and have it illuminate for extra pizaz
depending how strong the resulting structure is, you could make a micro-lite aircraft out of it's own battery
how's that for power to weight ratio?
it definitely has uses

Or laptops/phones. It sounds like you can incorporate this into any device's shell/casing. Basically the problem with current batteries is that they kinda need to have certain shapes. So you need to build special compartments for them. Having them any shape you want certainly has some major advantages

TAKE MY MONEY!! TAKE IT!!

I don't actually know when I'll need a spray on battery but OH PLEASE FOR THE LOVE GOD GIVE ME!!!

I can't wait to start huffing pure energy. I will be unstoppable.

And you thought canned duster was the big scary inhalant. We're gonna have "zappers" huffing the stuff.

In 20 years, because these research institute findings and their actual release is between 20 and never years.

So its a spray can full of delicious electricity?

I wonder if this can we weaponised in a similar way to how you can weaponise most deoderant spray cans.

Imagine it, a pepper-spray stungun.

FantomOmega:
No not that crap that's already on the market that only clots and disinfectants wounds REAL Med spray!
I mean the ones that heals blunt trauma, deep lacerations, gunshot wounds, blood loss, 3rd degree burns, organ damage and minor non-Tvirus/Parasitic infections INSTANTLY!

I blame the lack of Med spray on the religious right for their anti-stem cell research. I mean we've actually come up with a spray that can heal a burn victim and regenerate their cells with no scar tissue in 2 days with stem cells.

Rednog:

FantomOmega:

I blame the lack of Med spray on the religious right for their anti-stem cell research. I mean we've actually come up with a spray that can heal a burn victim and regenerate their cells with no scar tissue in 2 days with stem cells.

Lol, It's sad to hear that those religious goodie to-shoes rather "pray" for a "miracle" when someone is in critical condition when it could be used at will and sold in a CAN!

Rednog:

FantomOmega:

Well that's not fair. Just because someone is religious doesn't mean that they appose of stem cells.

werewolfsfury:

Rednog:

FantomOmega:

Well that's not fair. Just because someone is religious doesn't mean that they appose of stem cells.

I never referred to any specific person so please don't play the "it's not me card", the general consensus of the religious right is against stem cells. While you might not be against it personally the religious organization as a whole that you belong to is. So yes it is fair, if an organization is actively lobbying against something to call them out, no one is going to name every single member of the organization for and against something. The organization as a majority is against it so I'm calling out the organization.

Cave Johnson here,

The lab boys have brewed up the craziest thing: a
spray-on battery! "Madness!", you're most likely thinking.
But let me tell ya, it's 100% authentic, no bullshit.
That said, I introduce you, potential customer and/or
Test Subject, to Aperture Science Constant Energy Gel.
Enjoy it, you precious little brain-dead lunatics.

Cave Johnson, we're done here.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.