Find Your Perfect Career by Choosing Colors

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Find Your Perfect Career by Choosing Colors

Forget puzzling over complicated career assessment questions - just pick your favorite color.

There's no shortage of quizzes, personality tests, and ill-tempered guidance counselors that will claim to predict your career-related future. The process usually involves answering a plethora of dull, confusing, or just plain bizarre questions about yourself. Instead of spending ages trying to decide what your best quality is or what one thing you'd give to the homeless, we at The Escapist have found a simpler solution. So just kick back, relax, and pick your favorite color.

While the Dewey Color System career test isn't exactly new, it's a laidback - and surprisingly savvy - personality assessment based on color science. Or voodoo, it's not really clear. But it doesn't cheat by sticking to vague feel-good qualities that anyone can be said to have, so that's a plus. Our quick-but-assuredly-super-scientific sampling showed that the test has surprisingly good accuracy, which is all the more impressive because, you know, colors.

There's a simplified version of the test you can take here if you're feeling especially lazy - it's literally just two questions. If you want to kill a bit more time, or don't think the short version really captures your complex and unique personality, the complete version is here. Both versions are a breeze, so give it a shot and let us know how you think it stacks up.

Source: AOL Jobs

Tried taking the full version, it just restarts the test instead of giving results. Guess I wont be able to pick brown every time and make a lazy joke about video game developers.

I took it and it told me to go to Grand Canyon University in Arizona. Granted I am in Texas so it isn't too far all things considered but it says it's a Christian university and I'm an atheist so it wasn't too accurate. Still with that last question for the colors I disliked a lot of them equally so I just clicked them at random. Don't know how much that affected the test.

EDIT: After a few people telling me this was an ad I retook it. It said I was energetic and emotionally stable (about as wrong as you can be about me) then told me to go work in places with physical risks. Yeah I think I'll just choose for myself.

The first occupational category, doer, is more accurate than I'd expected from a test like this. Although it still just gives a shitload of options, it does narrow it down some.

The second best option though, creator, completely wrong. I have no imagination, I'd be useless!

80Maxwell08:
I took it and it told me to go to Grand Canyon University in Arizona. Granted I am in Texas so it isn't too far all things considered but it says it's a Christian university and I'm an atheist so it wasn't too accurate. Still with that last question for the colors I disliked a lot of them equally so I just clicked them at random. Don't know how much that affected the test.

you have to go to the bottom of the page, and at least say "no thank you"

OT: it said that I was a creator with a secondary of organizer.

I can agree with the creator, but the organizer I am a little skeptical over though I do think that I am a creator, or I try to be at least.

I got for my
Best Occupational Category
You're a CREATOR
KEYWORDS
Nonconforming, Impulsive, Expressive, Romantic, Intuitive, Sensitive, and Emotional.

For my
2nd Best Occupational Category
You're a PERSUADER
KEYWORDS:
Witty, Competitive, Sociable, Talkative, Ambitious, Argumentative, and Aggressive

Sounds pretty spot on for me, sadly my career path is no where near either of those, and suffice to say I'm not super happy about my job. I do my job as a need for cash rather than for the enjoyment of it.

First answer was WAY wrong. But the second answer was pretty good. Strange that the first and second answers were in many ways polar opposites.

is there any way to look at the full list?

Researcher-Creator, pretty spot on.

Thats insane, I got Researcher as 1st and Social Manager as 2nd - my career is a community manager tasked with finding new ways to improve the company...

I got creator and persuader. Creator kinda works a little, I guess. Probably not the best fit, but not a complete failure either.

Persuader is just straight up wrong though. I'm not just bad at that stuff, I'm bad at it in no small part because I hate doing it.

Creator and persuader. Really doesn't work for me because I have ADHD and thus my favourite colour changes every 5 minutes.

Did the full version and it said I was a creator. Given that I've had to retake the final year of my degree because I 'wasted' last year making films, and given I want to learn the drums and guitar and become a film-maker (and also spend a lot of time writing fiction), I'd say it's pretty damn spot on. I wonder how it works...?

I knew I would get Creator and I did. I didn't expect Organizer as the second one but once looking through it I could tell it's acceptable.

Organizer and Doer. I can see that. Surprisingly good, in fact...

"You're an ORGANIZER
KEYWORDS
Self-Control, Practical, Self-Contained, Orderly, Systematic, Precise, and Accurate
These conservative appearing, plotting-ty"

It's completely wrong. I'm disorganised, and hate having to be organised. I think it gave me that because I thought 'hey, it's seeing if all my answers match up, I'll show it!' so it thinks I have OCD.

Creator and Doer. This thing isn't tapped into my head is it? No? WHOA! MIND BLOWN.

Creative & Social Manager. eeerr...I legally have to adhere to BS5930 and EC7 when writing almost anything. Unless you count figuring out how to drill awkward stratigraphy? ......I do a lot of work on site about 100M from anyone else. Not too social.

I AM a successful Engineering Geologist and it suggested construction: Site Engineer

Eh. When I was 16 I was told I'd be a Janitor/Handiman!!

organizer-creator

...how was I supposed to decide which I want least if they're ALL beautiful D: ?

captcha: "very nice"
indeed.

EDIT: my result lacks a bit of researcher, too XD

Not bad, not bad at all.

I took this test already ready to poop on it but...

it's .. kind of weird. I'd say it's really accurate actually.

And this is me originally being VERY skeptical.

but....How?..

So, here's what I got for my mostly purple and, other cool-colored answers:

Best Occupational Category
You're a CREATOR
KEYWORDS
Nonconforming, Impulsive, Expressive, Romantic, Intuitive, Sensitive, and Emotional
These original types place a high value on self-expression. They enjoy working independently, being creative, using their imagination, and constantly learning something new. Areas of interest are far beyond the expected fields of art, drama, music, and writing. There are many occupations that allow creators to express, assemble, or implement ideas and maximize resources.

I've actually thought about being an author, having written several short stories and a couple of poems but I haven't written much of anything lately. Strangely enough, I've also had thoughts of becoming a teacher despite my utter hatred of children. Maybe Middle School...As for part 2...

2nd Best Occupational Category
You're a SOCIAL MANAGER
KEYWORDS:
Tactful, Cooperative, Generous, Understanding, Insightful, Friendly, and Cheerful
This very social type enjoys working in groups, sharing responsibilities, and being the center of attention. Fields of interest are instructing, helping, nurturing, care giving and instructing-especially young people. They discuss and consider feelings in order to solve problems, lead, direct, persuade, guide, organize and enlighten others.

Which would reinforce the whole wanting to be a teacher thing. I hate working with groups though so that kind of undercuts this a great deal. I work with people every night but not in a direct manner. I think I need to just think about where I am...dammit, I hate thinking about my life; I just got to a good little niche after all...

Took the short one. Picked blue and purple, and:

If you selected blue and purple: Use your big-picture thinking to develop new markets, new ideas and new businesses. You can see what's missing and know how to get things done.

Make more money by working in environments where you can organize, develop and bring situations, people or markets together.

I don't think this fits me much. I want to be an author, sure, and I spend a lot of time thinking up stories, but I don't really think that's 'big-picture thinking' and the like.

Also, I highly doubt I know how to get things done since one of the two major reasons I haven't done any writing recently is because I keep getting distracted by the internet.

Ok, let's try the longer one...

Yeah, second one doesn't apply to me. It says to go to Grand Canyon University (I live in New York, and I really don't want to go to Arizona), it's a prestigious Christian university (I'm an Atheist, and sort of resent the Christian faith), offers some of the best online education programs in the nation (if I'm on the computer, I'm most likely going to faff about on the internet), and offers bachelors and master's degree programs through the Ken Blanchard College of Business, College of Education, College of Nursing and Health Sciences, College of Christian Studies and College of Liberal Arts & Sciences (fields of study that I don't care to study).

Yeah. I don't think this is as accurate as they say it is.

I got Creator then Organizer in that order.

I find it to be realatively unoffensive in terms of jobs types i would hate to do for the rest of life, so ill treat this quiz as somewhat credible.

Organizer and researcher, the two types of work I'd been considering. Weird, but pretty awesome.

Creator and social manager. Doesn't look too much like my job I enjoy :P

Red-Green
If you selected red and green: You know value and how to best use resources to make money. Your practical guidance keeps others focused on the bottom line and expenditures under budget.

Make more money in positions where you decide how to best utilized resources or spend money.

Consider Niches as a securities manager, auditor, banker, teacher, property manager, nurse or surgeon.

Red-Purple
If you selected red and purple: When others speak, you sort out the facts from the emotions and establish a step-by-step action plan. You know how to calm those around you and offer quick solutions.

Make more money by selecting work environments where you're in control of all necessary resources and can offer win-win suggestions.

Consider niches as a human resources interviewer/manager, event planner, editor or executive assistant.

Both of these assume I'm WAYYY more disciplined than I actually am.

The sacry part is I am studying for one of the careers listed in the first category spooky

Organizer and persuader.
Not accurate in any way.
Then, that's what's to be expected when you base it off something as arbitrary as color.

Creator and Persuader. Yeah I'd say that's about right, except for the Ambitious and Sensitive parts.

Organizer apparantly.. "Orderly, Systematic, Precise, and Accurate" - Not really me at all but the question is "What color do you most like to look at" I went with the colours that are darker and easier on the eyes

I got an Organizer as my first option. Orderly, systematic, precise and accurate. The bit about me being good at math was pretty spot on.
Its second choice for me was researcher, which is the job I am currently doing (and enjoying).

So yes, the test was pretty spot on for me.

ParadiseOnceLost:

The sacry part is I am studying for one of the careers listed in the first category spooky

I'm just going to quote you here, since we got the exact same results but I was too lazy to copy mine.

According to this test:

1st: Creative, Nonconforming, Impulsive, Expressive, Romantic, Intuitive, Sensitive, and Emotional.

Fact: Creative, nonconforming, predictable, nonchalant, noncommittal, logical, insensitive, emotionally dead.

2ed: Social Manager, Tactful, Cooperative, Generous, Understanding, Insightful, Friendly, and Cheerful.

Fact: Social loiterer, tactless, semicooperative, skinflint, misunderstanding, semiinsightful, average friendly, moody.

I took a lot of painting & clay classes in my life. I was annoyed by all the incorrect names for colors.

Took the full version...

I make art for a job, this sounds perfectly right... and a little creepy.

Edit: Lots of creators here.

I'm inclined to believe these are intentionally vague somewhat positive traits a majority of people can relate to. Going to try running through almost entirely opposite of what I did and see what it says.

So yeah, this is the psychological equivalent of cold reading.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here