Marvel's Giving The Avengers "a New Beginning"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Marvel's Giving The Avengers "a New Beginning"

Marvel will launch several new titles in response to DC's New 52 Event.

When two comic book publishers carry the majority of superhero comics between them for over half a century, it's easy to get the impression that they're constantly copying each other. After DC launched the Final Crisis mini-series in which "evil wins", Marvel rolled out their own Dark Reign event. When Marvel restored an optimistic, pre-Civil War status quo with The Heroic Age, DC did the same in its universe with Brightest Day. And now that DC's New 52 event has rebooted the entire continuity. Marvel is attempting to revitalize its own superhero line with Marvel NOW!, set to relaunch multiple titles with new first issues starting in October.

While this approach is almost identical to New 52 from a publishing perspective, Marvel Editor-in-Chief Axel Alonso is quick to point out that Marvel NOW! is a different beast. "This ain't a reboot. It's a new beginning," Alonso says, explaining that the universe won't suddenly reset. Marvel NOW! will instead transition ongoing Marvel storylines to jumping-on points over the course of several months. "In the months of October through February, every week you can go into a comic book store and find a few new jumping-on points for the Marvel Universe, a place you're going to like visiting. Or revisiting."

Just as New 52 followed up DC's Flashpoint event, Marvel NOW! books will spin-off from the unfolding Avengers Vs X-Men storyline. Rick Remender and John Cassaday will develop Uncanny Avengers, a series uniting the Avengers and X-Men into a single team when Captain America "recognizes that he hasn't done enough to help the mutants." Jonathan Hickman and Jerome Opena will take over the core Avengers series, increasing the team size to sixteen "popular characters, B-listers, and new characters". Former Avengers writer Brian Michael Bendis is moving on to All-New X-Men, a time-travel story about the original teenaged X-Men arriving in our darker modern era with art by Stuart Immonen. "Here's the big question that the original X-Men are gonna be faced with," Bendis explains, "we're gonna grow up, and this is what we're going to get? That is not acceptable."

For regular comics readers, an announcement like this has been expected for some time. Once the concepts introduced in 2006's Civil War reached their logical conclusion two years ago, the company needed a new direction for their ongoing titles, which in comics is usually accompanied by a drastic re-imagining of regular characters. Coincidentally, Marvel Now! is also well-positioned to capitalize on fans of this summer's The Avengers by adapting the designs of movie-version Captain America and Nick Fury into comic book canon.

Will the relaunch be successful? It's hard to say, although DC fared pretty well all things considered. Comic book fans will just have to wait until October to find out.

Source: EW.com

So, how long before everything goes back to normal?

Gearhead mk2:

Too long. I don't mind when Marvel does their alternate timeline stories(Age of Apocalypse and such), but I'm not a big fan of them trying to rewrite the main titles. And it's not like it ever lasts, anyway.

I didn't really like that about New 52 though. Yeah, it's all the characters "Starting over", but they're still carrying all the baggage from the last six or seven decades they've been in print. Maybe I'm not understanding the N52 continuity well enough, but I'm supposed to believe Batman has only been fighting crime for a couple years, but has already gone through like 3 robins, has nightwing, and a son? I don't see how new readers are expected to just 'run with it' when these characters and character arcs that have never been explored before in other media are thrust upon them like it's business as usual (Even though it is for the initiated).

I had hoped the New 52 would be like the Ultimate Marvel line, where it's basically a reboot with a couple long-running series with several one-shot mini-arcs here and there. How can they say new 52 is easy to follow when about six of their titles star batman and don't seem to have any relation to each others stories?

Okay, I made this way too much about DC. I guess I don't see the point of Marvel releasing a new beginning series when they already had that in the Ultimate line. Maybe they should have just not killed off that series?

Or maybe just make your damn stories easier to follow so you don't need to reboot things every decade or so. Or maybe you should have a set reboot point so they don't get so damn long in the tooth like they are now.

I don't know. Comics are weird, I guess. If this actually does become a good "entry point" unlike new 52 then maybe I'll pick up a few.

Gearhead mk2:

About five months, give or take one obsessive editor.

So... It's a realignment not a reset?
I can live with that.
And X-men teaming up with the Avengers? SOLD! I just hope they have an enemy worthy of the collaboration.

New 52 sucked, and it was a lie.

Not a 'reboot' but a 'hey, lets make some new-ish stories set YEARS after stuff happened'.

BAH!

aaaaaand this is why I don't read super heros

it never bloody ends :P

I've never read Hickman. I'm curious whether I'll like seeing more cosmic, or I'll be the metaphorical raging fanboy for the DnA era.

Bendis X-Men? Remender X-Men meets Avengers team? Hmm, count me intrigued...

Well I can understa. . .

Wait, is that a goddamn raccoon with a minigun at the bottom of that picture? Who is he? Why doesn't he have his own movie yet? I demand answers people!

Bobic:
Well I can understa. . .

Wait, is that a goddamn raccoon with a minigun at the bottom of that picture? Who is he? Why doesn't he have his own movie yet? I demand answers people!

If I'm not mistaken, that is Rocket Raccoon. He was captain of a star ship with his first mate Wal Russ (a talking walrus) who where both genetically manipulated to grant them human level intelligence, and is a member of the Guardians of Galaxy.

And he will probably be in a movie, a Guardians of the Galaxy movie is currently planned to be released in 2014
http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2012/07/04/marvels-guardians-of-the-galaxy-to-be-released-august-1st-2014/

Lizardon:

Bobic:
Well I can understa. . .

If I'm not mistaken, that is Rocket Raccoon. He was captain of a star ship with his first mate Wal Russ (a talking walrus) who where both genetically manipulated to grant them human level intelligence, and is a member of the Guardians of Galaxy.

And he will probably be in a movie, a Guardians of the Galaxy movie is currently planned to be released in 2014
http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2012/07/04/marvels-guardians-of-the-galaxy-to-be-released-august-1st-2014/

That is so damned awesome. I can't wait 'til 2014 now. Thanks dude.

This is why I can't read Marvel they keep rebooting and changing everything all the time.

Why does the Hulk have armour?

WHY DOES THE HULK HAVE ARMOUR?!

inb4 COMICS ARE WEIRD! (Fact: They are)

See, I want to like comic books. I really do. But I don't think I can keep up with all of those convoluted and nonsensical storylines. Hell, I can barely understand Zelda's plot or KH's plot. No way I'd understand that. And if I do end up liking A plot, chances are it will either be deleted, a dream or an alternate reality. So it's all a lie.

So no thanks.

Loop Stricken:

To troll everyone. Sigh

comic book continuity...erghh I can't even

Loop Stricken:

Because he is a ruler of a planet now, as far as I remember. You can't be representative of your goverment wearing rags, right?

OT: I hope this will not result in changing the existing characters instead of making new ones. Oh, you want a superhero, that represents minority. OK! Which one of the existing should we change? Oh, you want a NEW character? Um... Well... Black and gay Captain America? How about that? Huh? HUH?

Just make sure Deadpool is fully aware of the whole thing and cracking jokes willy-nilly about it

Loop Stricken:

Not only that... How many arms does Thor have? Because he appears to have Mjolnir and 2 samurai swords... :/

Loving the new armour look on Iron Man though... very badass!

Also, who is the fella on the far left below Thor? Is that an aging Frank Castle!?

tony looks like a fucking goth christmas tree.

Loop Stricken:

tony stark. while he is awesome, he should keep his inventions to himself.

i only will say spider cycle.

I want to get into comics, but my methodical nature means that every time something like this happens I don't know where to start.
I know you're just supposed to start reading and go with what you like, but I hate coming in half way.

Knight Templar:
I want to get into comics, but my methodical nature means that every time something like this happens I don't know where to start.
I know you're just supposed to start reading and go with what you like, but I hate coming in half way.

If you really are serious about getting into comics, then I recommend Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited. You basically get access to 10000 digital comics with more being added every day. It's really cheap as well. One month costs about 5 bucks, and an entire year costs 60.

But if you really want to get into comics, you need to have a cut-off date. There's just too much stuff out there otherwise. You could still read the odd Infinity Gauntlet, but it's a principle worth having. I suggest yours to be 2002, because frankly, the 90s sucked.

For some first readings I suggest Ed Brubaker's run on Captain America (I promise you, it tells you EVERYTHING you need to know about the character) and Runaways by Brian K Vaughn.

EDIT: I'm a Marvel fan because of MDCU, so I can't really say how to get into DC.

Vault101:
aaaaaand this is why I don't read super heros

it never bloody ends :P

Eh. Not necessarily a bad thing. It generates a good sense of history which writers often (not often enough, but still) take advantage of to make very rewarding stories. Plus, you can end it whenever you like by not following a certain story anymore.

Bobic:
Well I can understa. . .

Rocket Raccoon. He is a Raccoon with a Rocket. Also, he is in space. Also, he is friends with a giant talking tree named Groot.

implementing Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury's Character design.....this is just bad ass on so many levels.

Bobic:

Lizardon:

Bobic:
Well I can understa. . .

That is so damned awesome. I can't wait 'til 2014 now. Thanks dude.

I was about to ask the same bloody thing. My comic book lore is fairly limited (in part because I never really followed any of the main storylines, except when they were brought to the Animated Series), but I'm pretty sure I'd never heard of a raccoon with a gattling gun before.

Hilarious.

Dunno how I feel about this, they are selling it as a big change that isn't really a big change. Should be good, have confidence in Marvel but we'll have to wait and see.

Is that a raccoon with a minigun? Where's that movie, that video game. Voiced by Samuel L. Jackson.

High fives conker halfway in.

Wait, was there a news post here?

That picture is hilarious. Even the one token black character is a white character.

Knight Templar:

I think someone gave you the same advice, but you should really just pick a big event to start with, and then follow from there. I started with 2004's Avengers Disassembled storyline, and I really enjoyed that and House of M. However, most people would probably tell you that 2006's Civil War Event is the best place to start. Honestly, pick the point that makes the most sense to you and go for it :D

I gave up reading Marvel comics after the constant 'epic' story-lines. No matter when you start, you're always coming in half way through. I just buy one of the story collections every now and then, so I can have someone else organising the different stories going on at the same time in different comics all giving their own vital details about the whole story for me to understand.
At least Marvel seem to care more than DC.

Rebooting, starting over, just going in some crazy direction they haven't gone before works for cartoons. Batman has had some wildly different cartoons and made them work because cartoons have been self contained.

Comic books it seems like it's much harder to pull all this off.

It kind of says something about the desperation on the part of DC and Marvel to keep the traditional comic book going in an age when people don't seem as interested in the traditional comic book. Distribution of comic books has gotten so bad that unless you are lucky enough live never one of the few comic book shops left or a well stocked book store than buying a paper copy of a comic book requires a special trip. Even digital has it's problems because while it's easy to get a digital copy you have the problem of you need something good to read your digital copy on. As much as I love my Kindle Fire it's horrible for reading comics.

Just not sure yet another jumping on point is really going to bring comic books back to the glory days when almost everyone read comic books.

Ugh. I knew it was only a matter of time before they transitioned the Jackson-esque Nick Fury into the main line. He was originally an element of the Ultimate line of comics. These publishers tend to be clueless when it comes to what should and should not happen in a book. They respond to the competition by copying, though it's copying to a much smaller degree. But, we'll have to see how it goes. I can't help but feel a lot of characters lose their pedigree when a reboot happens.

Loop Stricken:

Here's my best guess, please note that this contains spoilers from the Incredible Hulk 2012 comics.

Now that the gamma bomb fused Hulk and Banner's bodies again, I think that they eventually will fuse minds as well, or that they will come to a mental understanding. This would create a smart Hulk who uses inventions and machines to back up his already incredible strength.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here