Update: Minecraft: Xbox Adds Halo Avatars

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Update: Minecraft: Xbox Adds Halo Avatars

Minecraft's latest update lays the groundwork for custom character skins.

Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition has been out for a couple of months now and, by and large, console gamers have been just as enthusiastic about the game as PC users. The only realistic drawback is the lack of advanced features; the console edition launched with an older version of the PC release that couldn't include custom texture packs or any game modes beyond Survival. Developer 4J Studios is hard at work implementing those features, and a big one is already on the way. The 1.7.3 update will add custom character skins and new packs of DLC.

Up until now, Xbox 360 Edition users have been stuck with Steve, the default player skin. The 1.7.3 update will increase the number of Steve skins to 8, allowing for avatar variation while playing. Much more surprising is Mojang's announcement of a 40 skin DLC pack to be released "around the same time" as the update that will include characters from several popular Xbox and XBLA titles.

Only five characters from the pack have been revealed so far. The protagonists from Trials and 'Splosion Man have been given the Minecraft treatment, as have the Covenant grunts from Halo. (No word yet on the obvious choice of Master Chief.) Rounding off the pack is a generic King model and a Creeper player skin, which I'm certain will never be used to troll anyone in-game, ever.

Keeping with PC developer Mojang's long-standing theme of player support, the Skin Pack will have a trial edition that lets you test the skins before committing to a purchase. While we don't have a release date yet, the 1.7.3 update has recently been submitted for certification so we can expect to hear more very soon.

Source: PlayXBLA, via Joystiq

Update: PlayXBLA recently revealed five more character skins, including Fable's Jack of Blades, Gears of War's Clayton Carmine, Banjo-Kazooie's Banjo, Ms. Splosion Man, and a standard prisoner skin.

And they are going to charge for it XD im sorry, i really am NOT a "PC only gamer" but WOW anyone who bought minecraft for xbox is really unaware of how to spend money well ^^'

cricket chirps:
And they are going to charge for it XD im sorry, i really am NOT a "PC only gamer" but WOW anyone who bought minecraft for xbox is really unaware of how to spend money well ^^'

Some people, believe it or not, don't mind paying for goofy extras like extra player skins.

It doesn't mean they're poor with money, though.

OT: Hehe, a 'Splosion Man skin.

Do want.

Z of the Na'vi:

cricket chirps:

Some people, believe it or not, don't mind paying for goofy extras like extra player skins.

Do want.

haha, i understand trust me :P ive sunk a lot of money into league of legends. What i mean is that they are paying for what can be found for free and with more improvements on any computer.

Fanghawk:
Developer Mojang is hard at work implementing those features, and a big one is already on the way.

I'm going to be a spiff and point out it's not Mojang developing this game, it's British developer 4J Studios. Mojang are busy working on Scrolls and Notch if off doing his own game.

I don't know. Why didn't they decide to allow custom skins downloaded off the internet, like on the pc version. It could work fine if they linked it to the XboxLive Account. It just sound silly and unfair, in my opinion. I don't actually own an Xbox so I can't tell if it would work or not but it could be better that Skin packs...

In any case, If the pack is free then it's not that bad but if not, well there could be a problem.

Is it just me, or does the Master Chief skin look like the Doom guy?

Edit: Realize that's the Trials dude, like he's recognizable enough for people to identify on the spot.

Waaghpowa:

Worst troll ever. Of all time.

cricket chirps:

Some do know how to spend money, its all based on preferences. What If I feel like Playing Minecraft on the couch instead of at my desk? (And before you say laptop, what if I don't have one).

They had better go from 1.7.3 to 1.0 when they update it, I feel like my arse is being fucked really hard :@.

Terminate421:

Waaghpowa:

Worst troll ever. Of all time.

Or I simply misread, since there was one skin for the life of me I couldn't identify as being anything else but master chief. Now I realize it's supposed to be the Trials guy, like everyone is supposed to know who or what that is.

So please, save your attitude.

cricket chirps:

Z of the Na'vi:

cricket chirps:

Do want.

haha, i understand trust me :P ive sunk a lot of money into league of legends. What i mean is that they are paying for what can be found for free and with more improvements on any computer.

Don't you have to pay for Minecraft on the PC too....

TimeLord:
Don't you have to pay for Minecraft on the PC too....

I think he just means the skins. You can get them as mods on PC

Bvenged:

Fanghawk:
Developer Mojang is hard at work implementing those features, and a big one is already on the way.

I'm going to be a spiff and point out it's not Mojang developing this game, it's British developer 4J Studios. Mojang are busy working on Scrolls and Notch if off doing his own game.

I've gone back and updated the entry. Thanks for pointing that out!

Fanghawk:

Bvenged:

Fanghawk:

I've gone back and updated the entry. Thanks for pointing that out!

No problem dude! I didn't want to be rude pointing it out, but it was worth noting. Easy-to-make mistake since Mojang refer to the 360 version as their own game, despite not making it.

F'yeah 'Splosion Man

'Splode on!

Waaghpowa:

Edit: Realize that's the Trials dude, like he's recognizable enough for people to identify on the spot.

That's funny. My first thought was that it was Doom Guy too.

Anthony Couture:
I don't know. Why didn't they decide to allow custom skins downloaded off the internet, like on the pc version. It could work fine if they linked it to the XboxLive Account. It just sound silly and unfair, in my opinion. I don't actually own an Xbox so I can't tell if it would work or not but it could be better that Skin packs...

In any case, If the pack is free then it's not that bad but if not, well there could be a problem.

I think it could work, but they would want to verify each and every skin before it gets used.

Basically, you make a skin using the template, you submit the file to a website or attach it in an email, they verify it, and you then download that file once you sign onto your xbox. It'd be like buying DLC for your xbox from the xbox website.

Hahaha NO! One of the best parts about Minecraft is creating your personalized skin to show off to your buddies or finding something unique that someone has posted online, some guys like the Yogscast have had their Minecraft skins be iconic, same for the Creatures and CaptainSparkles. What they really need is a way to create your own costume and download other user created ones from online.

BTW the skins I use are either a self created Abbath from the band Immortal or Kamina from Gurren Lagann.

They need to bring in custom texture packs as well, like high definition ones, the Xbox should be able to handle it easy and can be a game changer for some people. Mod support will likely never happen though! :(

cricket chirps:

Since I often buy things simply to support a developer or an IP I appreciate to tell a company to continue it's support I will buy this skin pack.

It's the same reason I buy all the stuff for Magicka or pay a few bucks for a Free to Play game I enjoy. It's also the reason I don't buy Call of Duty games or map packs. I feel I spend money a lot smarter that way. Perhaps you'd agree?

I wish they'd also do updates on the moble version.
It's kinda annoying seeing as we paid for it to.

Honest to god, I swear that grunt looked like Ryu from Ninja Gaiden. Also, Trials guy for the win xD.

cricket chirps:

Z of the Na'vi:

cricket chirps:

Do want.

Honestly, I've played both and I prefer the Xbox one. The controller really helps, lots of menus and options are much more streamlined, and it's much, much better for just starting out. It gives you subtle hints on Peaceful and Easy difficulties, abut leaves you to your own devices on Normal and Hard.

I do miss having the ability to lure livestock with wheat on the 360 version, but I do NOT miss having to om nom nom the food instead of eating it in a single bite that can be done in the older version on the 360 lol

more on both sides, but those two come to mind :P not huge things but small things build xD

Anthony Couture:

Because xbox live doesn't allow it.

Good to see the priorities are right - forget about the tiny map, and lack of features - xbox users just want fancy skins to make their character look like a retards drawing of masterchief.

And, just like Lego, what used to be a creativity toy becomes a cash-in for uniquely designed parts.

Z of the Na'vi:

cricket chirps:

Do want.

When you can spend the same exact money on the base game that will run on any computer with flash, comes with free adventure-maps, skins and textures packs along with mods, yes you are terrible with money.

------------------------------------

Like I said previously on a different site, Minecraft on Xbox will be Dungeon Defenders amount of DLC ridiculousness.

Aprilgold:
When you can spend the same exact money on the base game that will run on any computer with flash, comes with free adventure-maps, skins and textures packs along with mods, yes you are terrible with money.

But not everyone has the money to afford a Minecraft-runs-decent-despite-its-Java-based-herpderp computer. Some people are literally internet-savvy only through their phone, and the console is how they play games.

More of them than us, still.

Oh my. A Banjo skin.

That's it, I'm sold.

Oh good god, this is hilarious.

DLC skin packs?

What next, pig armour?

...I instantly regret getting it for xbox if this is a sign of things to come...

Any word on how much this is gonna cost? Don't play Minecraft much nowadays but I'm curious to know.

Aprilgold:

Believe it or not, some people prefer to not play games on the computer, and feel much more comfortable on a console. Granted, I play both, but I'm not going to choose a side. I enjoy gaming equally, regardless of platform.

Assuming that these 40 skins will come in one pack, I'll gladly lay down $5 or whatever to use them.

I see no issue here.

Great, some PC gamers are really digging into this one.

Just leave us console gamers alone and let us spend our money in peace, please. =(

Even more skins announced:

http://playxbla.com/minecraft-masterchief-skins-revealed/

Its the one skin we all knew was coming.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here