NiGHTS into Dreams HD Remake Becomes Reality

NiGHTS into Dreams HD Remake Becomes Reality

The Sega Saturn cult classic will soar onto XBLA, PSN, and Steam.

Sega's last two major consoles were a veritable cache of cult hits. From Panzer Dragoon Saga to Jet Grind Radio, the ill-fated Saturn and Dreamcast may fade away, but their games will live on as long as fans keep their memories alive. Sega will help fans do just that come this fall. NiGHTS into Dreams, one of the Sega Saturn's most fondly remembered titles, is getting the full HD treatment, and will rear its coxcombed head for download on Xbox Live, the PlayStation network, and Steam.

The specifics of the HD remake sound fairly by-the-numbers: In addition to improved graphics and a widescreen aspect ratio, the game will receive achievements, leaderboard options, and a "Saturn mode," which will allow players to experience NiGHTS as it originally appeared. "We've gotten a lot of requests about this game over the years, and are very happy to be able to give both former Saturn owners and new players a chance to play it in its most beautiful form to date," says Chris Olson, digital vice president at Sega.

While Dreamcast games have done fairly well with remakes and re-releases on the current crop of consoles, Saturn titles have been a little harder to come by. Assuming that NiGHTS sells well, which beloved property should Sega target for a remake next?

Source: Eurogamer

I think between this, Jet Set Radio and Sonic Adventure 2, Sega is actively trying to take any money I have.

Oh, and next should be Shenmue.

I won't lie, I squeed. And if Shenmue is ever redone I may pee myself a little.

Shhhh shhh *strokes Sega* there there babe, we both said things we didn't mean, it's all right now.

My My, the Japanese are learning how to do business again.

You got Jet Set Radio going, but how bout Jet Set Radio Future too? That one was awesome, I think I enjoyed that one more then the original. STill, good to see they are takeing a few less risky endevors to stabelize their company, before they do any bigger projects. Lets face it, a lot of their recent original properties wern't doing so well. Binary Domain, Vanquish, wern't exactly best sellers as far as I know.

Panzer Dragoon needs the whole damn series to be HD'd and released on console.

1 <3 PD

Awesome! Now, Shenmue and Shenmue II, please. Double points for Shenmue III.

Much love for the Saturn this week. Marvel Super Heroes and now this :D Now we just need an announcement for X-Men vs Street Fighter and Fighters Megamix. That'll make me a happy Hazy :D

Oh and Sega should hurry the hell up and announce Sonic Adventure 2! :D

I'd be more excited if I had any of those systems or a steam account. And if this came out near the same time as the Japanese PS2 remake. And if it had the same amount of content as said Japanese version.

Skies of Arcadia for the XBLA please!

That is all well and good but I am still waiting for Square to announce a Kingdom Hearts HD Collection! They sold well and If you just slapped some HD on em and release them all as Final Mix, people will throw money at you Square! Don't you want my money?

Rockstar also better be hard at work on GTA HD Collection.

What's with the HD remake these days first FF7 now this?

Antonio Torrente:

because we love our old games, and have fond memories of them. but, speaking from experience, going back and playing it with original graphics doesn't always really allow for full nostalgia. the thing is, back in the day FFVII looked pretty much the same as everything else out there. the graphics didn't stand out so horribly to the point of breaking immersion.

i like when they modernize the graphics because even if they're not the best of this generation, it doesn't matter, the graphics are now at least at or above what we perceive as a default mimimum standard so that they don't interfere with the gameplay.

but i'll conceed that some part of nostalgia is being able to look back on something with the demeanor of a more wizened, refined taste and juxtapose what you now hold as default to what you once did. so the new graphics do rob you of that bit of nostalgia.

Sonic 3D: Flickie's Island is crying for a HD rerelease.
No, I lie.
That game is horrible.
Always loved Bug! though.

If Sega is really willing to listen to their fans... Panzer Dragoon and Shenmue need to be next.

This looks really cool. I missed out on the full NiGHTs experience by not having SEGA consoles but I played it round a friend's place ages ago. It was fun so I'll be keeping an eye out on it.

NiGHTS to me, justified my Saturn ownership and DEFINED ages 10-14 for me, I must have poured over 200 solo hours into that game and a further 150 with my friends, then it and my Saturn got lost in a move, I haven't had a copy since, but it did lead to one of the most beautiful moments me and my mother shared.

I saw a copy in the window of Game Station a few years ago, with a Saturn, but payday wasn't for another 4 days, so I waited patiently, got there after work, only to find it gone, I was mortified when I went to my mothers that evening for a family meal and she told me this;
"If ever, you see something like that again and it's a few days from pay day, tell me, I'll buy it for you, I know how much you loved that game." I almost cried.

BEST MOTHER EVAR!

god i miss sega consoles...

Lessee games i want remade... Well another phantasy Star done correctly would be nice, toy commander, Panzer Dragoon, jet grind radio, powerstone.... you what? dreamcast/saturn didn't have a huge library, let's just do the whole lot. hell sonic adventure 1 and 2 (still think those are great games) are already out of the way.

^ Captcha; Less is more.

Actually I want to see Shining Force III get an internation HD release.

I honestly was not expecting this. With all the talk of Sega's financial troubles, I was certain that Journey of Dreams would be the last time we'd ever see NiGHTS in his/her own game. Even if it is a remake, I'm psyched as all hell!

As for future remakes, I'm joining the Panzer Dragoon wagon on that one.

Panzer Dragoon,

You can actually get Skies of Arcadia on the Gamecube, although I wouldn't be against seeing a full remake.

I never got the chance to play Panzer Dragoon and I really want to.

Fuck yeah.
Now give me panzer dragoon.
ALL the panzer dragoons, especially 3!

Also all the clockwork knights!

YES. THANK YOU.

That is all I have to say.

Andy Shandy:
I think between this, Jet Set Radio and Sonic Adventure 2, Sega is actively trying to take any money I have.

Did you say something about Sonic Adventure 2?

Please, do tell more...

martyrdrebel27:

Antonio Torrente:

because we love our old games, and have fond memories of them. but, speaking from experience, going back and playing it with original graphics doesn't always really allow for full nostalgia. the thing is, back in the day FFVII looked pretty much the same as everything else out there. the graphics didn't stand out so horribly to the point of breaking immersion.

i like when they modernize the graphics because even if they're not the best of this generation, it doesn't matter, the graphics are now at least at or above what we perceive as a default mimimum standard so that they don't interfere with the gameplay.

but i'll conceed that some part of nostalgia is being able to look back on something with the demeanor of a more wizened, refined taste and juxtapose what you now hold as default to what you once did. so the new graphics do rob you of that bit of nostalgia.

I didn't say I hate what they are doing right now.
I just don't want another Silent Hill 2 HD remake disaster.

Isn't it great when you post a news thread hours before the Escapist catches on about it?

As the only person in my circle of friends who even had a Saturn, this brings tears of joy. Now everybody buy it day one so Sega can release some more Saturn goodness. Buy I Say!

Otogi. For the love of God, Sega, do an HD Otogi re-release. Both Myth of Demons and Immortal Warriors beat the crap out of the likes of even Okami when it comes to amazing art direction, atmosphere and sheer visual splendour. They're also two of the greatest hack-and-slash games ever made, developed by FROM Software who are currently riding high on the acclaim of Demon's/Dark Souls. Re-release them in HD, and I will happily spend all my money on whatever Sonic game you guys decide to release next. All my money.

Nasrin:

Andy Shandy:

Did you say something about Sonic Adventure 2?

Please, do tell more...

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/06/19/sonic-adventure-2-hd-on-the-way.aspx

There you go, basically says that it's coming out some point in October (I'm sure there was an article somewhere with a confirmed date but I can't find it for love nor money)

EDIT: Oh, found the article I read it on first.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-12079-Sonic-Adventure-2-Finally-Coming-to-XBLA.html

October 3rd, apparently was the release date on the leak on Xbox.com, before it was taken down.

TizzytheTormentor:
That is all well and good but I am still waiting for Square to announce a Kingdom Hearts HD Collection! They sold well and If you just slapped some HD on em and release them all as Final Mix, people will throw money at you Square! Don't you want my money?

After all those years of westerners' eternal jealousy of the final mix releases, an announcement like that would produce enough drool to fill thousands of Olympic sized swimming pools.

Innegativeion:

TizzytheTormentor:

After all those years of westerners' eternal jealousy of the final mix releases, an announcement like that would produce enough drool to fill thousands of Olympic sized swimming pools.

Exactly, Although I live in Ireland (not sure if counts as westerner) I have always been a big fan of the series and a HD Collection would be bought by me and many other fans immediately. I recently sank my teeth into the Devil May Cry HD Collection and It was worth every penny.

I understand the HD do-overs are for games that sold well, guess what, Kingdom Hearts sold VERY well and honoring it with a HD re-release would be glorious! Yes, no one could contain the metric tons of drool.

Same with GTA! They would sell fabulously and not use up much resources on the developers part.

TizzytheTormentor:

Exactly, Although I live in Ireland (not sure if counts as westerner)

Same with GTA! They would sell fabulously and not use up much resources on the developers part.

Well yes, anything west of Japan where, to my knowledge, the final mixes saw their only release.

I also would like rereleases/remakes of Panzer Dragoon basically the whole since I didn't get the chance to play any of them. Sadly the one I want the most, Panzer Dragoon Saga, is looking very unlikely since they lost the source code for it. Granted I have no idea how hard it is to find source code or do a rerelease/remake without it but from the sound of it it's not looking good.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.