Update: PlayStation All-Stars Will Battle it Out This October

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Update: PlayStation All-Stars Will Battle it Out This October

Bring the hurt in style with the PlayStation All-Stars pre-order costumes.

SuperBot Entertainment, the developers behind PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, have been rolling out more and more information about their upcoming mash-up brawler. At E3, they announced that the PlayStation title would have a PS Vita counterpart. They also brought two more challengers into the ring: Uncharted's Nathan Drake and Bioshock's Big Daddy. Now there's even more news in the form of a release date. According to the PlayStation Blog, both the console and handheld versions of PlayStation All-Stars will hit shelves in North America on October 23, with the European release one day later.

It doesn't end there, though. Head down to your favorite retailer and pre-order the game to unlock an alternate costume for each character in the game - the eight currently known fighters and the remaining roster that has yet to be revealed. Sly Cooper slips into his Robin Hood outfit from Thieves in Time, Drake dons his winter gear from Uncharted 2, and the Big Daddy turns into a lovable doll from Bioshock 2. Check out all the new outfits in the image above.

More details are coming soon. Very soon, in fact: SuperBot will be announcing the next two combatants later today at a presentation in Las Vegas, at the Evolution Championship Series. Who will these fighters be? Solid Snake? Cole MacGrath? Vice President of Smackdowns Kevin Butler? We'll soon find out.

Update: The cat's out of the bag - literally. The two new characters have been revealed as Toro Inoue, also known as the Sony Cat, and Heihachi Mishima, a classic fighter from the Tekken franchise. Other updates include assurances that this is not the end of the All-Stars lineup, nor are these the only alternate costumes that players can use in-game. They are, however, only available via pre-order.

Source: PlayStation Blog

I'm actually just happy with the fact that they included Parappa the Rapper in the game. He's been critically under-utilized.

If Cole McGrath doesn't show up in one way or another, I question them even making a Playstation All-Stars throwdown.

Remove Fat Princess and add a more deserving character and I will buy this game day one

I can't help but think the roster would have been so much better on the first playstation. I can even remember hoping for a smash brothers style game for the playstation as a kid. Just thinking of the characters...

Crash, Spyro, Klonoa, Abe, Rayman, Sir Dan, Lara Croft, Jersey Devil, Niki/Fergus, Lomax...

BehattedWanderer:
If Cole McGrath doesn't show up in one way or another, I question them even making a Playstation All-Stars throwdown.

Don't worry, Cole will most certainly be in the game. His voice actor (along with Snake's voice actor) have been credited as voicing him on IMDB. Those two are all but confirmed. And even without that, he's a fairly obvious choice anyhow.

Anyways, I think some of those costumes look really neat. Especially the hugable Big Daddy. At the very least, this game understands how to do alternate costumes better than Smash Bros does (where they either just give them boring generic alternate colors, or give them a new costume... but call it a new character).

Calcium:
I can't help but think the roster would have been so much better on the first playstation. I can even remember hoping for a smash brothers style game for the playstation as a kid. Just thinking of the characters...

Crash, Spyro, Klonoa, Abe, Rayman, Sir Dan, Lara Croft, Jersey Devil, Niki/Fergus, Lomax...

As I've said on...a lot of the other articles on this game; the fact that we're getting it now instead of on the PSX or PS2 is probably this game's biggest tragedy. I still think I'll be picking it up but other than 3D Dot Hero, Sackboy, Cole MacGrath and, yellow-racer-guy from Modnation, I can't really think of any other potential mascots Sony can use. I think they could potentially get away with their new Spider-Man...Also I think it's a bit of a cop-out that Big Daddy is there since he's multiplatform BUT his presence does make me hopeful that we'll see Kain or Razael, another pair of characters who have fallen to the wayside this generation.

Also, I hope there are unlockable costumes in-game...you know, that you don't need to buy/download but that you get by actually playing the game.

Can't waaaaaaaaaait.

Also I don't think older playstation mascots would've been as fun. The good point of it being made now is that it can use modern AND old. I'm sure they'll add Crash and Spyro in there eventually. I would be ok with them being dlc even.

I don't own a Wii and I'm kind of sick of Mario and pals, plus the double game levels looks pretty sweet.

Also big daddy. BIG DADDY :D

I'm rather disappointed that you need to preorder the game in order to get the extra skins.

I think Cole McGrath, Ratchet, Clank, and Jak are most likely to be in the game.

October, the month that the Wii U is to be released. Hmmm...

NAH! that's just a coincidence

Okay, so with the update, we've got Toro and Heihachi in there now. Toro is unsurprising. Heihachi... is actually a bit of a surprise. A fighting game character in a fighting game? What insanity is this?

I like how around half of these aren't even Playstation exclusive characters.

TizzytheTormentor:
I like how around half of these aren't even Playstation exclusive characters.

Well I think that's fitting in it's own way. Considering Sony's massive success with the PS1&2 was because they had an absurd 3rd party lineup due to Nintendo pissing off their major partners by continuing to use a cartridge system so they could still have their iron grip. Though I think it would have been way more fitting for this game to be a 3D fighter since it was basically the Saturn/N64/PS1 console generation that really pushed full 3D games if I remember this correctly. Though I wish I knew more about the past I only started really gaming around the PS2. Well if I'm wrong I'll edit it out.

Why isn't Snake or Crash Bandicoot in that picture?

Noodles are the best, no doubt can't deny. Taste better than water, but don't ask me why.

Ne1butme:
Noodles are the best, no doubt can't deny. Taste better than water, but don't ask me why.

Yeah? Why's that?

Just hurry up and announce Crash Bandicoot already! Seriously if he's not in it something's wrong

i'm not quite understanding how they are determining characters for this game, like some ive never heard of and are playstation exclusives, but Big Daddy? bioshock wasnt exclusive. So in theory we should see maybe a final fantasy character, or even Sora from kingdom hearts. Heck id like to see Solid snake and Sonic make an appearance since snake is only on the playstation and sonics on everything. Guess we shall see since they need to make the roster as big as super smash bros and we only have maybe less than half of it.

is Cole in it?

Cole has to be in it....

I... simply could not care less about this game, all I see is an SSB clone filled with characters I don't care about half as much as the ones in Smash Bros... could someone please explain the appeal to me? I'm honestly curious as to why this exists other than for Sony to make a quick buck...

Calcium:

You're right. A fighting game with mascots could be a great plattform for marketing lesser known characters or some that have been swallowed by time.

So far, I find the roster pretty underwhelming (and I say this as someone who really likes Sly Cooper, God of War and Uncharted). I can't even say what would make the game interesting enough for me to consider buying it. Maybe I just played the respective games or fighting games in general too often in the last months.

I think we'l get the PS1 and PS2 classics too, it just makes sense especially if Sony has any interest in bring them back into the limelight.

Ne1butme:

Because Sony doesn't own the rights to Crash Bandicoot. Universal does. As much as I want him, I'm not holding out.

I kinda want to be interested in this game, but I lost interest with Sony's games a long while back and this doesn't look to be suckering me in.

Besides, I already have Brawl, and that ALREADY has Snake in it.

Gmans uncle:
I... simply could not care less about this game, all I see is an SSB clone filled with characters I don't care about half as much as the ones in Smash Bros... could someone please explain the appeal to me? I'm honestly curious as to why this exists other than for Sony to make a quick buck...

Cause there are people that would prefer the Sony characters over Nintendo's ones.

Calcium:

THIS!
Sony's cast was way more colourful than nowadays and it would've had more charme than seeing kratos beat the smarm out of Nathan drake (Though that is one selling point for me).

This still seems a little odd. But I could see it working. I mean Disney meets Final Fantasy works. So, why not random assortment of characters beating the crap out of each other?

Yes, I know Smash Brothers does this, too, but seriously, if you have that issue with this game, you must not like any new games, ever. They've all been done before. This isn't even the second game series in this venue. Square did it with Dissidia. And that game turned out surprisingly well.

Also, Cole better be in it. This game just screams a need for everyone's favorite electric superhuman. You know it'll be great to electrocute Kratos, zap Drake, and shock Sly.

BiH-Kira:
I'm rather disappointed that you need to preorder the game in order to get the extra skins.

So am I.

FantomOmega:
October, the month that the Wii U is to be released. Hmmm...

NAH! that's just a coincidence

Knowing the game-console-makers, no, this is a plan to steal ze' monehs from Nintendo fans.

Gmans uncle:

Just because you haven't grown up liking these characters doesn't mean that other people "will"

Especially if you stayed strictly with a Nintendo console so you got to know "your" characters better, though I find it a bit ironic that a mere FIVE of PlayStation's characters have a deeper story and personality than all of Smash Bros characters COMBINED (Snake doesn't count and Samus is an exception) all the other characters are defined by their platforming game-play rather than a real "personality" (Mario and Link= fetch the princess save the land, the journey was the interesting part, you had to "think up" a personality for them)

I would even say that Nintendo Land is a poorly implemented knockoff of Little Big Planet minus the customization crossed with PS Home

And isn't Nintendo "imitating" Sony and Microsoft by going for the "hardcore market" after saying that they will dedicate themselves to the casual market (plus the fans) with the Wii so why haven't they renewed the interest of the large Wii user-base and release more "different" fun games to keep them buying the software? why must graphics suddenly count because the casual market lost interest or is dominated by Android OS? where the hell did all that smug "were selling the most consoles" attitude go that you had to risk restarting at square one TWO years before the next Gen Consoles?

I'd be shocked if Cole from inFamous isn't one of the characters. There's a pretty good chance I'll end up getting the console version of this.

I'm so looking forward to seeing how they do this, I just hope they don't mess it up. Easier said than done though.

Looks pretty good but there isn't really that many characters that can be used that are instantly recognisable.

I guess blatant copying is accepted these days.

First the move now smash bros playstation

I guess the next thing ill see is a vita pokemon clone

getoffmycloud:

Gmans uncle:

Cause there are people that would prefer the Sony characters over Nintendo's ones.

Fair enough. I understand that even though I have very little attachment to these characters I'm sure someone does, and for the guy who grew up with Spryo and Sly this is probably like Christmas coming early. But I am not that guy, I grew up with Nintendo, and while I like most of the games represented by the characters as revealed thus far (Hell, I'm a HUGE fan of Bioshock and God of War) I have very little personal attachment to most of these guys, so obviously this game isn't intended for me, and I recognize that.

FantomOmega:

Just because you haven't grown up liking these characters doesn't mean that other people "will"

Especially if you stayed strictly with a Nintendo console so you got to know "your" characters better, though I find it a bit ironic that a mere FIVE of PlayStation's characters have a deeper story and personality than all of Smash Bros characters COMBINED (Snake doesn't count and Samus is an exception) all the other characters are defined by their platforming game-play rather than a real "personality" (Mario and Link= fetch the princess save the land, the journey was the interesting part, you had to "think up" a personality for them)

I would even say that Nintendo Land is a poorly implemented knockoff of Little Big Planet minus the customization crossed with PS Home

And isn't Nintendo "imitating" Sony and Microsoft by going for the "hardcore market" after saying that they will dedicate themselves to the casual market (plus the fans) with the Wii so why haven't they renewed the interest of the large Wii user-base and release more "different" fun games to keep them buying the software? why must graphics suddenly count because the casual market lost interest or is dominated by Android OS? where the hell did all that smug "were selling the most consoles" attitude go that you had to risk restarting at square one TWO years before the next Gen Consoles?

Casual and Hardcore are not types of games, they are ways of playing games. If you play Dead Space on a casual schedule you are casually gaming. If you play Angry Birds on a hardcore schedule you are hardcore gaming. Argo claiming that either side is "catering to the casual/core demographic" is a moot point, but I don't that's the main point you're trying to make.

I'd say that Nintendo are not imitating anyone, they just want their third party support back and this is the easiest way to get it. Nintendo has something up their sleeve, I just know it. As for Nintendo Land I can sort of see where you're drawing parallels, but I wouldn't call it anything close to a knockoff (but I'm not really following that one very closely)

Hmmm... what's that Applejack?

Right you are AJ!

What I'm saying is that while I respect anyone's decision to buy/play this game, I see no reason for me to put my money down for this unless they make the gameplay significantly different from that of Smash Bros, which judging from the gameplay I've seen appears not to be the case.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here