David Cage: The Industry Will Die if it Doesn't Innovate

Pages PREV 1 2

Honestly, looking at PC releases, I'm rather pleased that the format has kept such diversity.

If only the same could be said for consoles.

ElPatron:

Because there is actually no "culture" to celebrate?

well I don't know..conventions and such would say otherwise

Do the people that go to the cinema get together and make up a new name for them?

Indie film festivals and art film festivals

Does everyone who listens to music get together to celebrate their culture?

....yes

concerts...particualy metal concerts, or many other genres..."metalheads", kind of silly since music is often interwined with culture

Almost everyone plays videogames now, and it's such a broad demographic we can hardly call "gaming" a culture.

see I think the difference here (as with those other examples) is that the passion/interest goes deeper than "the vanilla mainstream" hence why we have art films and obscure genres of music

the difference between me and some guy that playes COD now and again is I discuss games online, I read alot of gaming related news, watch alot of niche gaming relates shows and I have an interestes as too whats going on in the industry...probably smilar with people who like other things

Vault101:

Toilet:
I kinda hope gaming does die. The big companies are already sewing the seeds of their destruction with massive bloated budgets while trying to appeal to everyone and then killing the studio when the game doesn't ship the millions of copies needed (unless you are Call Of Duty).

"Nerd/Gaming Culture" is already pretty cancerous as well and in my personal opinion independent developers and their games aren't that good either. At best they are fun for a few minutes but they are not substantial enough to support an entire industry.

I would rather gaming die now and be reborn from the ashes in a few years than it continue as it is now, it would be nice to catch up on my backlog to.

no thanks

I like my AAA games

""Nerd/Gaming Culture" is already pretty cancerous as well"- in regards to what exactly?

In regard to stuff like the VGAs, Felicia Day, Tropes vs. Women, Major League Gaming, The Big Bang Theory and many many other things which I have little time and patience to look up.

The only part of "Gaming Culture" that has any positive effect on video games is the Mod Communities.

Toilet:
[In regard to stuff like the VGAs, Felicia Day, Tropes vs. Women, Major League Gaming, The Big Bang Theory and many many other things which I have little time and patience to look up.

The only part of "Gaming Culture" that has any positive effect on video games is the Mod Communities.

1. VGA's.....so? like does anyone care about the MTV movie awards? they don't hurt the film industry

2. Felicia Day?...weather or not shes a "grrrl gamur" is subjective (personally I think people just freak out becuase she's a girl) theres nothing wrong with her...hell when the controversy struck alot of people were like "who"?

3. Tropes vs Women- biased yes, but hey gamers can be sexist shitheads somtimes, again this was just a one off controversy

4.Major League Gaming- don;t know much about it...not sure how its a problem

5.The Big Bang Theory - the fuck? big bang theory is a silly mainstream sitcom that has pretty much NOTHING to do with what we call "gaming culture" (which presides mainly on the internet)

honestly? the anti consumer bullshit from publishers is worth worrying over...stuff that affects the actual games, not this crap

Thank you for stating the painfully obvious, Cage. BTW, call back when you do something that can be called innovative instead of just a shallow, egotistical wankfest like Heavy Rain was.

Toilet:

Vault101:

Toilet:
I kinda hope gaming does die. The big companies are already sewing the seeds of their destruction with massive bloated budgets while trying to appeal to everyone and then killing the studio when the game doesn't ship the millions of copies needed (unless you are Call Of Duty).

"Nerd/Gaming Culture" is already pretty cancerous as well and in my personal opinion independent developers and their games aren't that good either. At best they are fun for a few minutes but they are not substantial enough to support an entire industry.

I would rather gaming die now and be reborn from the ashes in a few years than it continue as it is now, it would be nice to catch up on my backlog to.

no thanks

I like my AAA games

""Nerd/Gaming Culture" is already pretty cancerous as well"- in regards to what exactly?

In regard to stuff like the VGAs, Felicia Day, Tropes vs. Women, Major League Gaming, The Big Bang Theory and many many other things which I have little time and patience to look up.

Most of those are things that are found in ALL communities and simply cannot be avoided when something becomes a part of a global movement, the rest (like VGA's and Big Bang Theory) are also byproducts that only underline the fact that this sub-culture at the present is attempted to be "understood" by the mainstream culture that never actually gets anything, but likes to pretend so every few years.

So no, none of those are "cancerous" parts of the gaming culture, which, to be honest, has expanded to not just be a simple gaming culture, but a collective of all geek/nerd cultures put together quite seamlessly. As far as that goes - it's one of the better things to have happened, because it has opened, even if slightly, a passage back to the way of thinking where people didn't mock intelligence or belittle things they didn't understand.

Now, if we could still get rid of chest thumping and bigotry we'd be all set.

Vault101:

honestly? the anti consumer bullshit from publishers is worth worrying over...stuff that affects the actual games, not this crap

Could you specify which anti consumer things you're talking about? If you mean stuff like Project $10 or day one DLC, consumer's have shown they will still buy the games. And they don't have a huge impact on the games themselves. Just your wallet.

Saucycarpdog:

Vault101:

Could you specify which anti consumer things you're talking about? If you mean stuff like Project $10 or day one DLC, consumer's have shown they will still buy the games. And they don't have a huge impact on the games themselves. Just your wallet.

DRM, always online DRM, online passes and crap to combat trading in games,

doesnt affect the game? sort of

In ME3 there was a certain part of day 1 DLC that painfully and obviously belonged in the original game, on onehand they had to downplay that charachters role in the story so it wasnt "essentail"

on the other without it seemed you be missing out quite a bit

Vault101:

Do the people that go to the cinema get together and make up a new name for them?

Really? Because those shows aren't in any way the representation of the general demographic of people who watches films.

I am generalizing for a reason...

- indie film festivals: yeah, right. It's very specific.
- art film festivals: they only include 2 or 3 kinds of movies. You won't find people who watch Transformers 3 there

Vault101:

....yes

concerts...particualy metal concerts, or many other genres..."metalheads", kind of silly since music is often interwined with culture

How many Justin Bieber fans do you find in a Iron Maiden concert? How many Megadeth fans are amongst the crowd watching Beyoncee?

Concerts are not a good representation of everyone who owns a MP3 player or listens to radio in the car.

Going to the cinema is not a "culture". It's part of our culture to go to the movie theater but that doesn't mean anything.

Do people say "You listen to music? Me too! Let's celebrate!" when they meet each other? No. Because everyone does it. Having a MP3 player is part of our pop culture but the fact that you are part of the 99% of the hearing population who has ever listened to a song makes it hard to be a "culture of listening to music".

I know this doesn't sound right because any form of art is cultural. But enjoying it does not make you different and gives you no reason to celebrate.

Obvious to gaming "hipsters" like me, and has been for years.
To be fair, it's difficult to see those long-term burnouts approaching when everything was still growing...

ElPatron:

How many Justin Bieber fans do you find in a Iron Maiden concert? How many Megadeth fans are amongst the crowd watching Beyoncee?

hmmm..ok, let me try again

music and movies are very very large..where as gaming...while it is large (and getting larger) its more "niche" then those others mediums

and those othermediums have thier own "niches"
and those "niches" have their own...well "thing" I guess if you dont want to use the word culture

Hip hop/rap - obviously embedded in urban culture and all that

Metal- has its own following/culture in a way, people identify with it and have thier own "thing"

Art films- again a niche area

gaming "as a whole" (and as I said) I think is still rather niche...I doubt somone is talking about your mum who plays bejeweld when they say "gaming culutre" theyre talking about the enthusiasts

and even then you could divide it up even further

WOW- has its own culture

COD or online shooters- has its own thing

stuff like jargon and "in-jokes" and all that

ElPatron:

Vault101:

Really? Because those shows aren't in any way the representation of the general demographic of people who watches films.

I am generalizing for a reason...

- indie film festivals: yeah, right. It's very specific.
- art film festivals: they only include 2 or 3 kinds of movies. You won't find people who watch Transformers 3 there

Vault101:

....yes

Concerts are not a good representation of everyone who owns a MP3 player or listens to radio in the car.

Going to the cinema is not a "culture". It's part of our culture to go to the movie theater but that doesn't mean anything.

Do people say "You listen to music? Me too! Let's celebrate!" when they meet each other? No. Because everyone does it. Having a MP3 player is part of our pop culture but the fact that you are part of the 99% of the hearing population who has ever listened to a song makes it hard to be a "culture of listening to music".

I know this doesn't sound right because any form of art is cultural. But enjoying it does not make you different and gives you no reason to celebrate.

Nothing what you just said makes any sense, and some of your sentences are just plain contradictory. It just seems like you have no concept what culture is, or what enjoying and celebrating it means.

Vault101:

ElPatron:

hmmm..ok, let me try again

music and movies are very very large..where as gaming...while it is large (and getting larger) its more "niche" then those others mediums

It's not. Anyone who can afford it plays videogames these days.

PSPs, PS2s, PS3s, Xboxes... Or even Angry Birds in the cellphone or Facebook games.

It's about as niche as beer.

SpiderJerusalem:
Nothing what you just said makes any sense, and some of your sentences are just plain contradictory. It just seems like you have no concept what culture is, or what enjoying and celebrating it means.

Then let's do this the other way, *you* prove that gaming culture is actually "culture".

ElPatron:

PSPs, PS2s, PS3s, Xboxes... Or even Angry Birds in the cellphone or Facebook games.

no..they don't...I'll say it again somone you call a gamer/geek/nerd enjoys games differencely to somone who is casual

ElPatron:

SpiderJerusalem:

Then let's do this the other way, *you* prove that gaming culture is actually "culture".

Easy:

Specifically, the term "culture" in American anthropology had two meanings: (1) the evolved human capacity to classify and represent experiences with symbols, and to act imaginatively and creatively; and (2) the distinct ways that people living in different parts of the world classified and represented their experiences, and acted creatively.

Gaming, in all it's various forms, encompasses distinctly all the definitions and "requirements" of what culture is. It is a continuously expanding, growing and developing form of art with it's own languages, sub-cultures, cliques and life cycles.

To call it anything but is, well, simply put, wrong, as the facts will show you.

Vault101:

ElPatron:

no..they don't...I'll say it again somone you call a gamer/geek/nerd enjoys games differencely to somone who is casual

SpiderJerusalem:

ElPatron:

SpiderJerusalem:

Easy:

Specifically, the term "culture" in American anthropology had two meanings: (1) the evolved human capacity to classify and represent experiences with symbols, and to act imaginatively and creatively; and (2) the distinct ways that people living in different parts of the world classified and represented their experiences, and acted creatively.

Gaming, in all it's various forms, encompasses distinctly all the definitions and "requirements" of what culture is. It is a continuously expanding, growing and developing form of art with it's own languages, sub-cultures, cliques and life cycles.

To call it anything but is, well, simply put, wrong, as the facts will show you.

I am putting you both side by side.

One tells me that "casuals" are not part of the culture (because they experience gaming differently), and the other gives me a broad definition that forces everyone to be included.

ElPatron:

Vault101:

ElPatron:

SpiderJerusalem:

ElPatron:

Easy:

I am putting you both side by side.

One tells me that "casuals" are not part of the culture (because they experience gaming differently), and the other gives me a broad definition that forces everyone to be included.

Just because you don't like the answers doesn't make them less true. Culture, by definition, is a massive and wide idea. Read anything about anthropology and you'll see. Gaming has over the years distinctly fulfilled all the particulars that define culture and has become a massive part of it (and now, in the 2000's, clearly it's own culture).

You can stomp your feet as much as you like and say that you don't like the culture it entails, but it doesn't make the facts any less true.

SpiderJerusalem:
Just because you don't like the answers doesn't make them less true.

And people didn't like ME3 because it didn't have a happy ending. Yadda yadda you're already covering your ears and you will now most likely ignore any reasonable argument.

My points are:

- People don't celebrate the fact that they listen to radio or go to the movies.
- Unless you're some kind of cinephile or a hardcore connoisseur, you're a "casual"
- Therefore there is a huge contradiction in here.

Take a look at your definition of culture. Gaming is subculture. It's part of our culture.

But it's not a separate culture. Most people who play videogames don't live in the internet, cut off from society.

Remember the movie Hackers with Angelina Jolie? They shown a subculture of their own. They even had their own "cultural events" (such as going to a concert or watching a film).

Conclusion - gaming is a perfectly legit subculture with it's own ramifications, being a casual does not mean you're not part of gaming, gaming in general does not have any reason to be celebrated because looking back all I see was corporations trying to fuck with their costumers.

I have no problem with people that celebrate specific things about gaming. Retro, online, LAN, beat 'em up, fps, jrpgs, whatever. Gaming as a whole is just as a motive for celebration as... Hollywood?

ElPatron:

SpiderJerusalem:

- People don't celebrate the fact that they listen to radio or go to the movies.

As someone who has worked in both mediums, I can tell you that yes, people do celebrate both.

- Unless you're some kind of cinephile or a hardcore connoisseur, you're a "casual"

"Unless you're black you're white", you're over simplifying things and willingly overlooking all the nuances that go into any kind of culture. It's like saying "unless you can paint the Mona Lisa, you're a "casual" doodler."

- Therefore there is a huge contradiction in here.

Only in your mind.

But it's not a separate culture. Most people who play videogames don't live in the internet, cut off from society.

Neither do most people who love movies live in the cinema, cut off from society. Or people who paint, or people who read or write, or people who play sports. You're applying narrow margins only to gaming.

Remember the movie Hackers with Angelina Jolie? They shown a subculture of their own. They even had their own "cultural events" (such as going to a concert or watching a film).

You're actually using a movie that people openly have called out as being utter bullshit in every sense of the word as an example? You do know that gamers have their own cultural events? Film enthusiasts have their own cultural events. Radio has it's own celebrations and events, as do artists, athletes and every form of expression and art, so why do you cut off gaming as something that can't qualify? Your argument makes no sense, because you have nothing to back it up with other than "because I said so".

SpiderJerusalem:

ElPatron:

SpiderJerusalem:

As someone who has worked in both mediums, I can tell you that yes, people do celebrate both.

I bet they feel unique snowflakes.

SpiderJerusalem:

"Unless you're black you're white", you're over simplifying things and willingly overlooking all the nuances that go into any kind of culture. It's like saying "unless you can paint the Mona Lisa, you're a "casual" doodler."

Somehow I feel like you do not understand the concept of rhetoric. Just because I arranged some words to portrait the feelings of other people does not mean I agree with it.

SpiderJerusalem:

Neither do most people who love movies live in the cinema, cut off from society. Or people who paint, or people who read or write, or people who play sports. You're applying narrow margins only to gaming.

No, I am not applying anything. I never said cinephiles live in the movie theater.

Would you please stop taking everything at face value? Or are you just trying to come up with things to disagree with me?

SpiderJerusalem:
You're actually using a movie that people openly have called out as being utter bullshit in every sense of the word as an example?

So because it's fiction my point is completely null? Who cares about if it's true or not?

SpiderJerusalem:
You do know that gamers have their own cultural events? Film enthusiasts have their own cultural events. Radio has it's own celebrations and events, as do artists, athletes and every form of expression and art, so why do you cut off gaming as something that can't qualify? Your argument makes no sense, because you have nothing to back it up with other than "because I said so".

You have officially misunderstood everything I said, and truth be told I am pretty much convinced you did it on purpose.

ElPatron:

You have officially misunderstood everything I said, and truth be told I am pretty much convinced you did it on purpose.

Well then, sir, you better start making sense. Because if people can't understand what you're trying to say (even when you try and dodge behind rhetoric), then the problem is in your argument.

SpiderJerusalem:

ElPatron:

Well then, sir, you better start making sense. Because if people can't understand what you're trying to say (even when you try and dodge behind rhetoric)

I'm not hiding behind anything if I have been paraphrasing what other people have posted in here.

Or maybe it's the YouTube Argument Syndrome. Nobody will read what the hell was going on and just parachute into a discussion.

SpiderJerusalem:
then the problem is in your argument.

Or the problem is the fact that you have conveniently ignored my defense of videogames as part of our culture (which includes the so-called "cultural events").

From the wiki itself:
1- The arts, customs, and habits that characterize a particular society or nation.
2- The beliefs, values, behaviour and material objects that constitute a people's way of life.

I find it hard to believe that there is any country where people play games or do game related things 24/7, while having a system of beliefs based on interactive fiction.

Videogames are not an airtight hobby.

ElPatron:

From the wiki itself:
1- The arts, customs, and habits that characterize a particular society or nation.
2- The beliefs, values, behaviour and material objects that constitute a people's way of life.

I find it hard to believe that there is any country where people play games or do game related things 24/7, while having a system of beliefs based on interactive fiction.

I take that back, it's not your argument that's the problem. It's just you. Nobody can be that dense, not even when they're trying (poorly) to be funny.

SpiderJerusalem:
I take that back, it's not your argument that's the problem. It's just you. Nobody can be that dense, not even when they're trying (poorly) to be funny.

Says the person that prefers to openly insult me and imply that I am trying to be funny.

It seems that the problem is yours, brah. Stop antagonizing people on the internet because you disagree with them.

ElPatron:

SpiderJerusalem:

Says the person that prefers to openly insult me and imply that I am trying to be funny.

It seems that the problem is yours, brah. Stop antagonizing people on the internet because you disagree with them.

You seem to have trouble grasping the idea of what culture means and instead fill it with the most nonsensical generalities and exaggerations without a single shred of real, concrete proof to back up your opinions.

You also used the word "brah", which makes me think that you're nothing more than a pasty suburban kid whose only culture comes from Jersey Shore. Which would explain a lot.

Here's a thought: think about what people mean when they say film culture, theater culture, etc. What could that mean? I'll give you a hint, it doesn't mean that there is a magical island where people have these things as a religion.

Ignorance is never the answer, boyo.

SpiderJerusalem:
You also used the word "brah", which makes me think that you're nothing more than a pasty suburban kid whose only culture comes from Jersey Shore. Which would explain a lot.

>implying that "brah" isn't the internet mockery of "bro"

"Brah" is originally from Hawaii and was adopted by the internet long ago. Example, the meme "Jeep Brah".

I don't think that New Jersey is even close to Hawaii, if you catch my drift.

SpiderJerusalem:
Here's a thought: think about what people mean when they say film culture, theater culture, etc. What could that mean? I'll give you a hint, it doesn't mean that there is a magical island where people have these things as a religion.

I've never heard anyone say that. Mainly because of language differences. In my country the closest expressions to those are more related to "cult" (worship) than "culture".

Again, a subculture is not culture.

"aquele todo complexo que inclui o conhecimento, as crenças, a arte, a moral, a lei, os costumes e todos os outros hábitos e aptidões adquiridos pelo homem como membro da sociedade"

Somehow I don't think that gaming (or music) includes the knowledge (example: agriculture) beliefs, art, morals, laws, costumes and skills acquired by mankind as a member of society.

From a Social Studies standpoint, Edward B. Tylor's definition is the most relevant. From an anthropological point of view, it's the identity of the people.

A gamer from Dubai does not have the same culture as a gamer from Norway. Their people don't have the same identity.

SpiderJerusalem:
Ignorance is never the answer, boyo.

>slang used by Welsh/Irish

So Guido slang automatically proves me wrong, but when you use other slang it's okay?

ElPatron:

SpiderJerusalem:

I've never heard anyone say that. Mainly because of language differences. In my country the closest expressions to those are more related to "cult" (worship) than "culture".

Again, a subculture is not culture.

"aquele todo complexo que inclui o conhecimento, as crenças, a arte, a moral, a lei, os costumes e todos os outros hábitos e aptidões adquiridos pelo homem como membro da sociedade"

Somehow I don't think that gaming (or music) includes the knowledge (example: agriculture) beliefs, art, morals, laws, costumes and skills acquired by mankind as a member of society.

From a Social Studies standpoint, Edward B. Tylor's definition is the most relevant. From an anthropological point of view, it's the identity of the people.

A gamer from Dubai does not have the same culture as a gamer from Norway. Their people don't have the same identity.

*facepalm*

Here, let me help, this is the definition that Webster's dictionary gives to Culture:

the quality in a person or society that arises from a concern for what is regarded as excellent in arts, letters, manners, scholarly pursuits, etc.
that which is excellent in the arts, manners, etc.
a particular form or stage of civilization, as that of a certain nation or period: Greek culture.
development or improvement of the mind by education or training.
the behaviors and beliefs characteristic of a particular social, ethnic, or age group: the youth culture; the drug culture.

Now, it might be because English isn't your first language, but I'll just point out that agriculture has nothing to do with CULTURE, despite them sharing a word. That's just.. not sure if serious or just stupid.

SpiderJerusalem:
snip

That definition sounds a lot like the Wiki. At least the Wiki denounces the definitions used in the fields of science, like the Taylor's definition.

SpiderJerusalem:
Now, it might be because English isn't your first language, but I'll just point out that agriculture has nothing to do with CULTURE, despite them sharing a word. That's just.. not sure if serious or just stupid.

Wiki: Culture (Latin: cultura, lit. "cultivation")

Cultivation is both related to the growth of plants and breeding of animals. The first civilizations developed knowledge where they based their production, economy, social structure, beliefs and rituals, etc - all based on agriculture.

The more you know...

ElPatron:

Cultivation is both related to the growth of plants and breeding of animals. The first civilizations developed knowledge where they based their production, economy, social structure, beliefs and rituals, etc - all based on agriculture.

The more you know...

Good for you for picking up the FIRST LINE you read on that article, if you had read a bit further (it's recommended) you'd have noticed that after a few centuries the meaning has changed and changed again, not even resembling in it's current form what it used to before.

SpiderJerusalem:

ElPatron:

The more you know...

Good for you for picking up the FIRST LINE you read on that article, if you had read a bit further (it's recommended) you'd have noticed that after a few centuries the meaning has changed and changed again, not even resembling in it's current form what it used to before.

"HURR DURR I'LL IGNORE ALL YOUR PREVIOUS POSTS AND JUST HAMMER THIS ONE BECAUSE IT QUOTES WIKIPEDIA. HOW DARE YOU QUOTE RELEVANT STUFF?"

SpiderJerusalem:
I'll just point out that agriculture has nothing to do with CULTURE

wikipedia:
Culture (Latin: cultura, lit. "cultivation")

Case in point, etiology.

How about you give up trying to create an enemy in me? All you have proven so far is what you'll resort to personal attacks on almost every post and backpedal when you're proven wrong.

Can't you just accept that not being 100% correct is perfectly acceptable? I feel sorry for your teachers in school if you are that pedantic about being correct.

Oh well, step down off your exulted throne, mighty cage, show me the way. Seriously though, screw you david cage. You basically took the plot of taken and mashed it together with 3 daytime TV drama plots and added minimal interactivity just to have it qualify as a game. I will eat my own crap before I let someone who stuck a 2 minute watch kid do homework thing into a video game tell me what the fuck I should buy.

Most of the people in this topic don't see the forest for the trees. If the gaming industry dies, it's going to be because of unrealistic standards, not how many CoD-lite clones are released.

After all, we live in the age of always-online DRM, on-disc content being chopped out of games and sold piecemeal back to gamers, price gouging and through-the-roof sales expectations...and it's only going to get worse before it gets better. That's why tens of thousands of people are flooding Kickstarter and crowdfunding sites to back projects from lesser-known genres - each year, people are putting less and less faith in major developers. Even CoD saw their sales figures take a hit over the last year.

I give it another two years, tops, before the triple-AAA game industry implodes.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.