Cast Your Vote for the Greatest Game in Escapist History

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Cast Your Vote for the Greatest Game in Escapist History

The Escapist is celebrating its seventh birthday with an epic, 64-game showdown.

On July 10th, The Escapist will join an 18th century war, a famous Itch, and Brad Pitt's tenure in Tibet as something famous for being associated with seven years. That's right, folks, it's our seventh birthday, and that means it's your birthday, too! So, to celebrate our seventh year of talking games on the internet, we're hosting the Year Seven Showdown, a week-long bracket tournament culminating in one game being crowned the greatest in Escapist history.

We've chosen 64 of the most important games released since 2005, and placed them head-to-head into a voting bracket similar to our annual March Mayhem competition. The Escapist community will then have its chance to vote on which games deserve to move on to the next round through a series of daily picks beginning today! Once only two games remain, a special 48-hour 1v1 showdown will begin July 14th, ending with a single victor July 16th.

Everyone who participates in the voting will be entered into a raffle for one of three prize-packs filled with Escapist swag. Each vote you cast will grant another entry toward winning a prize (including the new super shiny Limbo special edition!), so make sure to come back and support your favorite games each round.

You can head over to the tournament page to get started, but before you go we'd like to just say thanks to everyone who's been with us for seven years of fun, and to all who've hopped aboard along the way. We look forward to seeing which game you choose!

I smell bias. You placed Portal in the picture, and thus people will vote Portal.

CONSPIRACY I TELL YOU!

Oh great, more headache into guessing which games will get the most votes but still I gonna enter it anyway.
Also wow, this site will turn seven soon, here hoping for three more years to get it to ten years!

Yay! I like voting for things, I just hate it when two of my favourite games are pinned up against each other, though ;_;

Skyrim vs FIFA? C'mon, guys. I hope this is a randomly-chosen bracket, or that will be the worst curb stomp you've ever set up in one of your tournaments.

Hmm would love to know the selection process involved there, some really strange choices.......and multiple games from same franchises :/

There are a few crazy combinations and also games I wouldn't call "great" if not by gunpoint...

But there are a few, that can go far. First rounds will be a little bit confusing, but later it could get interesting!
As I say this I see a really scary thing in round two already: Skyrim against Psychonauts! Beloved brilliant game underdog against big bucks mass love RPG! THIS will be interesting!

Gah! Journey vs Dragon age: Origin!

DAMN YOU ESCAPIST FOR MAKING ME PICK!

A few points...

1. Persona 4 VS RE4? Theres quite a lot of unfairness going on isn't there?

2. Minecraft/Portal will be the winner.

Fallout 3 for the win!

Yes?

This is a cool idea. I approve. I'm betting on either Minecraft or Portal, although I would love it if Journey were to get far in.

Really hoping Persona 4 gets far but knowing The Escapist it'll be Portal or Half Life who win.

Well, it's your party, you get to pick the treats for us to indulge in, I suppose.

Fifa 12? With the engine they put in it? Seriously, have you seen the fails of that engine really?

Calumon: And they don't let you play as me!

Jack and Calumon:

Fifa 12? With the engine they put in it? Seriously, have you seen the fails of that engine really?

Stop critisising FIFA 12 or Heskey is gonna rape you!

OnT: Amnesia vs HL2 in the first round? Come on!

Jack and Calumon:

Well, it's your party, you get to pick the treats for us to indulge in, I suppose.

Well, as far as Metal Gear goes, just remember, we are only counting 2005 onward.

Jack and Calumon:

We're only voting on games from Escapist history, which means games released during the last seven years. I guess we could've included Peacewalker in there...but really, there were better choices.

Susan Arendt:

We're only voting on games from Escapist history, which means games released during the last seven years. I guess we could've included Peacewalker in there...but really, there were better choices.

What about Metal Gear Solid 4?

OT: Resident Evil 4 vs Persona 4?

You're playin' with my heartstrings here, people.

FargoDog:

Susan Arendt:

What about Metal Gear Solid 4?

OT: Resident Evil 4 vs Persona 4?

You're playin' with my heartstrings here, people.

RE4 versus Persona 4 is one of the tougher rounds, for sure. Well, for some folks. For me, that one was easy. :)

As for Metal Gear, it's one of the many, many, many games that had to be cut. Assembling this list of 64 was incredibly hard, and a bunch of really great games had to be left off. But remember, this is all just for fun. Don't think too hard about it. :)

I found this... surprisingly easy to vote for...

Though, why Episode 1 and not 2?

Susan Arendt:

RE4 versus Persona 4 is one of the tougher rounds, for sure. Well, for some folks. For me, that one was easy. :)

I eventually caved and went with Persona 4. Because Persona 4 did not have Ashley.

Then again, it did have Teddie...

As for Metal Gear, it's one of the many, many, many games that had to be cut. Assembling this list of 64 was incredibly hard, and a bunch of really great games had to be left off. But remember, this is all just for fun. Don't think too hard about it. :)

Ah, that's fair enough. It's an excellent, nicely balanced list even if I would personally have MGS4 up there.

FargoDog:

Susan Arendt:

I eventually caved and went with Persona 4. Because Persona 4 did not have Ashley.

Then again, it did have Teddie...

Ah, that's fair enough. It's an excellent, nicely balanced list even if I would personally have MGS4 up there.

Persona 4 is always the correct choice.

TLS14:
Skyrim vs FIFA? C'mon, guys. I hope this is a randomly-chosen bracket, or that will be the worst curb stomp you've ever set up in one of your tournaments.

That caught my eye as well...that said, I can't see any sports game doing that well when it comes to my fellow escapists, it seems to be the forbidden genre around these parts!

Well Shadow of the Colossus just know I voted for you but I just know your going to lose I'm sorry.

Halo vs SotC right off the bat? Damn.

Why couldn't you give both one of the easy matches?

Susan Arendt:

so uh.
where in that paragraph did you justify the existence of TWO "battlefield"s and TWO "call of duty"s?
Also why FIFA.
*complain complain complain* (all other games actually look like good and balanced choices)
but oh well, I sure do love MM, so yay for more voting, I guess XD
but really needs more metal gear >_>

EDIT: now that I read a few other posts: I was really ignorant in that regard, as the list continues with Mass Effect, Dragon Age, etc. : /

I had a lot of moments in the voting where I was wishing for a neither option. Also a number of games I didn't vote for because they aren't available to play on my system of choice (any download title on a console. Poor Journey, it looks really good too).

I'll admit that I find some of the choices in it odd, especially when there's the likes of no MGS (and Dead Rising, but I don't think that'll be missed by as many people) and various series having 2 games in the list, such as Dragon Age, Mass Effect, CoD, Civilization, Fallout, Battlefield, Elder Scrolls. And no Arkham City makes me sad (as hypocritical as it seems to complain about the two games from other series)

And FIFA is going to get curbstomped round these parts.

Haha, Dragon Age 2 is in there. Good joke guys. I also like how you included Mass Effect 3 and Diablo 3. Regardless of gameplay they have no chance whatsoever.

Can we only vote for the first round so far? I put mine in for the 1st round, but I can't find a way see my choices, and there is no way to change any of them?

Daaaaaaaaaaaaang! This site's only seven? It really underwent a lot of changes in all that time...Minecraft-A.

It has golden c****s and balls, your arguments are invalid.

Andy Shandy:
I'll admit that I find some of the choices in it odd, especially when there's the likes of no MGS (and Dead Rising, but I don't think that'll be missed by as many people) and various series having 2 games in the list, such as Dragon Age, Mass Effect, CoD, Civilization, Fallout, Battlefield, Elder Scrolls. And no Arkham City makes me sad (as hypocritical as it seems to complain about the two games from other series)

That was one of my first thoughts as well in going through the list. Something along the lines of, "How many editions of the same game did they feel they had to put in this tournament?" I mean, hell, if you're going to put in two rounds of CoD/Battlefield, might as well put both Portal and Portal 2 on the list, right? 'Cause they're extremely different games. >.>

@Caramel Frappe: your avatar may be the only image of that game I've seen outside of some context pertaining to the game itself.

Portal vs Shadow of the Colossus in the final? Should be interesting.

Really interested to see which wins some of the lower rounds though. Does the Escapist prefer GOW3 or Oblivion, for instance?

I wish all the RPGs could win... such a good genre :p

<3 Dragon Age: Origins, Borderlands & Skyrim

TheBobmus:
Portal vs Shadow of the Colossus in the final? Should be interesting.

While that would be fun to see, there's no way SotC is going to make it to the final.

Rainforce:

Susan Arendt:

so uh.
where in that paragraph did you justify the existence of TWO "battlefield"s and TWO "call of duty"s?
Also why FIFA.
*complain complain complain* (all other games actually look like good and balanced choices)
but oh well, I sure do love MM, so yay for more voting, I guess XD
but really needs more metal gear >_>

EDIT: now that I read a few other posts: I was really ignorant in that regard, as the list continues with Mass Effect, Dragon Age, etc. : /

We discussed the sequels quite a lot, and decided to have more than one from a franchise when we felt that they were significantly different enough to warrant it - or that one had a different set of fans than the other. Thus the inclusion of both Black Ops and Modern Warfare, for example. Sure, they're both Call of Duty, but not really the same.

Also, we made a lot of decisions just plain based on what games we thought everyone would be passionate about voting for. Dead Rising came up, for example, but when we asked "Will people really pick this as the best game of the past seven years?" the answer was no.

And, like I said earlier, this is all just for fun anyway.

Mike Kayatta:
-snip-

Susan Arendt:
-Snip-

Well, speaking as a fan of Metal Gear, okay. I understand. MGS4 is an incredibly dividing game, where you can either take the cutscenes or not and that will decide your enjoyment of the game, so it might not have been top of everyone's choice lists, no matter how impressive it was that Kojima actually managed to round off the entire story of Metal Gear in a single game. Peace Walker was also kinda similar by how unrefined the game felt when you considered the game was on the PSP when it would've felt much sharper on PS3, even though it was already blowing away PSP standards for graphics and for gameplay, a fitting swansong for big PSP games.

Regardless of how much I love these games (a lot), this is not just mine, it's The Escapist's; the staff, the users, the lurkers, everyone's. Many would be cut, I understand.

Now, let's get ready to rumble!

Calumon: Yaaaay! Fight, fight, fight, fight!

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.