Cast Your Vote for the Greatest Game in Escapist History

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

The Escapist is 7 years old? Well, happy birthday, Escapist. I haven`t been here from the start, but so far, it`s been quite a lot of fun. Keep up the great work!

And the voting was quite neat as well, had a few difficult choices in there.

Wait... Saints Row or Zelda. Saints Row... or Zelda....
.........nnnnnnnnnnnNNNNNNNNNGNNGNGNGNGNNGNGGGNGGG OH GOD! *aneurysm*

Why put poor Little Big Planet up against the mighty Portal in the first round? It is unnecessary cruelty.

Shjade:

TheBobmus:
Portal vs Shadow of the Colossus in the final? Should be interesting.

While that would be fun to see, there's no way SotC is going to make it to the final.

I reckon it will, there's so much love for that game on this site.

Okami, Journey and Shadow of the Colossus!

Go team awesome!

Fallout 3 to win please. PLEASE!

I'm a little concerned about some games in this tournament, Left 4 Dead? Black Ops? Half-Life 2 Episode 1? That was my least favourite Half-Life. D=

Knowing this site, Shadow of the Colossus will make it to the (semi) final. =/

Susan Arendt:

Rainforce:

Susan Arendt:
As for Metal Gear, it's one of the many, many, many games that had to be cut. Assembling this list of 64 was incredibly hard, and a bunch of really great games had to be left off. But remember, this is all just for fun. Don't think too hard about it. :)

so uh.
where in that paragraph did you justify the existence of TWO "battlefield"s and TWO "call of duty"s?
Also why FIFA.
*complain complain complain* (all other games actually look like good and balanced choices)
but oh well, I sure do love MM, so yay for more voting, I guess XD
but really needs more metal gear >_>

EDIT: now that I read a few other posts: I was really ignorant in that regard, as the list continues with Mass Effect, Dragon Age, etc. : /

We discussed the sequels quite a lot, and decided to have more than one from a franchise when we felt that they were significantly different enough to warrant it - or that one had a different set of fans than the other. Thus the inclusion of both Black Ops and Modern Warfare, for example. Sure, they're both Call of Duty, but not really the same.

Also, we made a lot of decisions just plain based on what games we thought everyone would be passionate about voting for. Dead Rising came up, for example, but when we asked "Will people really pick this as the best game of the past seven years?" the answer was no.

And, like I said earlier, this is all just for fun anyway.

ah, I see. Of course. Thanks for clearing that up.

It's a bit unfair that I can't really win the prizes, just cause I live in Sweden.
I mean, I kind of really want those prizes. To avoid future situations like this I'll just move to US, Canada, UK, AUS, or NZ next time.
I do think Red Dead Redemtion (or Portal, Deus Ex, GTA IV, Assassins Creed 2, Minecraft or Skyrim) deserves to win the showdown.

TheBobmus:

Shjade:

TheBobmus:
Portal vs Shadow of the Colossus in the final? Should be interesting.

While that would be fun to see, there's no way SotC is going to make it to the final.

It's in the same quarter of the bracket as Skyrim.

Need I say more?

Shjade:

TheBobmus:

Shjade:

Need I say more?

Nope, I still say it's in with a fighting chance. Skyrim probably won't even beat its dual challenges of Psychonauts and Half Life.

TheBobmus:

Shjade:

TheBobmus:

Need I say more?

Nope, I still say it's in with a fighting chance. Skyrim probably won't even beat its dual challenges of Psychonauts and Half Life.

Definately agree. Besides I think that Oblivion was better than Skyrim. Also hoping Civilization does well.

Why even bother? Everyone knows Portal is going to win. This is just a week-long award ceremony for Portal.

Oh well. I can still it back and enjoy the fireworks in certain match-ups.

Anyone who picks Battlefield over Pokemon should be ashamed

Well, my favourite game isn't in the competition, so I can't fanboyishly vote for that, despite it having absolutely no effect on the industry and innovaitng nothing.

Some of the brackets just plain scare me since I'd probably pick the one I find more fun rather than the one that's most note worthy. For example, screw you Demon's Souls, I like Smash bros. And I can see myself getting very elitist over Halo 3 versus Shadow of the Colossus.

TheBobmus:

Shjade:

TheBobmus:

Need I say more?

It's true. The smouldering embers of Skyrim-rage still live on this site (I just ran into several examples on another thread), while Psychonauts and Half Life are so rose-tinted that... I can't think up a good analogy. They are viewed very favourably, anyways.

SotC will probably make it pretty far, as it's one of this sites favourite examples for "games as art." It'll fall eventually, unless people start carpet-posting GIFs of Agro falling from the bridge.

EDIT:

Palademon:
Well, my favourite game isn't in the competition, so I can't fanboyishly vote for that, despite it having absolutely no effect on the industry and innovaitng nothing.

I'll bite: what is this great piece of influence-less gaming?

It indeed is MY birthday too, July 10th.

TimeLord:
Fallout 3 for the win!

Yes?

In the same tournament as Fallout New Vegas? Surely you jest, sir!

"Cast Your Vote for the Greatest Game in Escapist History" You are seriously letting random readers vote on the Greatest Game in Escapist history?

... Yeah that's professional.

But I'm probably just taking this to serious, I'll just pretend it says "Press a button and have a chance at prizes".

"You MUST be 18 years of age or older and a resident of the US, Canada, UK, AUS, or NZ to win".

Well... at least the font is pretty.

saintdane05:
I smell bias. You placed Portal in the picture, and thus people will vote Portal.

CONSPIRACY I TELL YOU!

subliminalmessaging

it's a conspiracy

Skyrim v Fifa 12, hahahahahahahahaha

hahahahaha

Fallout 3, Portal, AC2, New Vegas, ME3, ME2

But where's ME1??? The best in the series, and possibly my favourite game of all time? :((((((

You could've at least cut out ME3 since it's pretty much just ME2 as far as gameplay goes. But I love love love ME1.

Susan Arendt:

We discussed the sequels quite a lot, and decided to have more than one from a franchise when we felt that they were significantly different enough to warrant it - or that one had a different set of fans than the other.

Hadn't even read this^^

But yeah, where's the love for ME1. ME3 and ME2 are pretty much the same game, just splitting up the story.

Dresos:
"Cast Your Vote for the Greatest Game in Escapist History" You are seriously letting random readers vote on the Greatest Game in Escapist history?

But I'm probably just taking this to serious, I'll just pretend it says "Press a button and have a chance at prizes".

"You MUST be 18 years of age or older and a resident of the US, Canada, UK, AUS, or NZ to win".

I have no idea why you're being so incredibly negative about this. We weren't aiming for "professional," we were aiming for "fun."

Yup, Persona 4 is gonna win.

I can almost taste the victory.

It's probably not going to win. T-T

I'm guessing there's going to be some drama over the losers. It seems every time the Escapist does its developer showdown, the forums are full of butthurt fans. It should be fun, I love internet drama.

Susan Arendt:

Dresos:

I have no idea why you're being so incredibly negative about this. We weren't aiming for "professional," we were aiming for "fun."

You forget one thing, Susan...

Super Kami Guru has spoken.

Infamous 2 vs red dead redemption.

I think my head will explode trying to decide.

Use_Imagination_here:
Infamous 2 vs red dead redemption.

I think my head will explode trying to decide.

Yeah, that was a tough one :D

I went with inFamous in the end.

AngryMongoose:
I found this... surprisingly easy to vote for...

Though, why Episode 1 and not 2?

I really have to agree here. Episode 2 had better set pieces, and it didn't spend the entire length of its campaign in the city; it branched out into the surrounding area very nicely. Plus it had that incredible Strider battle at the end. That alone was worth the cost of The Orange Box, IMO.

Bastion FTW! We must win if only for Mr. sexy voice!

T'Generalissimo:

TimeLord:
Fallout 3 for the win!

Yes?

I do believe fallout 3 has a chance as long as he thinks it does.

Susan Arendt:
MI6 Snip

I notice that Amy is not on the list of bestest games... I am so confused. I guess I shall just have to imagine it winning. Ok real reason I quoted you: how long did it take to agree on this list of games?

2fish:
Bastion FTW! We must win if only for Mr. sexy voice!

T'Generalissimo:

TimeLord:
Fallout 3 for the win!

Yes?

I do believe fallout 3 has a chance as long as he thinks it does.

Susan Arendt:
MI6 Snip

I notice that Amy is not on the list of bestest games... I am so confused. I guess I shall just have to imagine it winning. Ok real reason I quoted you: how long did it take to agree on this list of games?

Amy isn't on the list because it wouldn't be fair to include it. It's such a ringer, everyone would vote for it, and it would win by a landslide. Clearly.

*twitch*

Anyway, it took...hoo boy...several hours to hammer this all out. We started with a pretty big list, and then whittled it down to what I thought was pretty close...and then discovered we had to edit out another 19 games. And then once we'd cut out, like, 14, we started thinking of ones we'd missed. it was a bit of an ordeal.

So, no, the list isn't perfect, but it's pretty dang good, I think.

I want Pokemon, Civ IV, or Civ V to win. That's probably not going to happen!

Seriously though, anyone who...

Darkstar13:
Anyone who picks Battlefield over Pokemon should be ashamed

yeah, that.

Entrants must be at least 13 years old and must reside in either the US, Canada, UK or Australia.

"Well, it seems you don't want me."
- German person

Then again, I don't care much about those prices anyway, apart from Limbo. Happy birthday nonetheless!

AngryMongoose:
I found this... surprisingly easy to vote for...

Though, why Episode 1 and not 2?

Seconded. The only reason I voted Amnesia over Half-Life was because they put episode 1 rather than either just Half-Life 2 or Episode 2. Otherwise it would've demanded a lot more consideration.

I have to ask, why not EP2? Half Life 2 was in 2004 so its out but why EP1?

There's 4 Valve games up there, FOUR. I'm not voting for them, they don't need it. This site is one of the biggest Valve fanwank sites next to the Steam forums. While I certainly don't expect HL2:EP1 to do well, I'd bet my years salary that the other 3 go to semi's.

Oh...no super shiny avatar stuff for this : (

Well...I'm gonna make my own avatar stuff! It'll have hookers! And Blackjack! (and by make my own, I of course mean I'm going to play video games)

Also, go Mass Effect 2!

I'm voting Journey but I know it's just going to be smashed down by portal at round 3, if even if it gets that far.
Hoping Braid makes it far enough to fight Bastion but... eh... Minecraft...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here