Kingdoms of Amalur Launch Trailer Leaks

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Kingdoms of Amalur Launch Trailer Leaks

A leaked Project Copernicus video offers a glimpse into an MMO world we'll never get to explore.

Have you ever stopped to wonder what 38 Studios had in mind for Project Copernicus, the fantasy MMO it was working on at the time of its collapse? We'll never know for certain or to any great depth what was in store, but we can at least get a sideways look at it now thanks to a purported launch trailer that's found its way into the wild.

The trailer, which bills the game as simply Kingdoms of Amalur, shows off a few in-game characters best described as an ogre, a dwarf, and elf and a human, waving their weapons around and casting spells as a narrator talks about the infinite circle that ever turns. It looks potentially cool, if somewhat generic; to my admittedly untrained eye, this trailer, minus the title graphics, could have come straight out of World of Warcraft. But with a setting built upon the success of the single-player RPG Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, there was at least some potential for the game to distinguish itself in the fantasy MMO genre.

I can't say it's fun to watch this video, because the ugly collapse of 38 Studios represents the end of a dream and significant personal trauma and financial distress for an awful lot of people. But it's fascinating to see, even for just a few seconds, what might have been.

Source: Kotaku

Wow... Aside from the dull voice over that looked amazing.

That looked really cool, and I would've actually played that.

Oh well, at least we got to see what it looked like before all traces of that went to deletion bin.

Nexon or someone should buy that shit.

Come on, it's not like whoever the hell owns KOA can demand too much...

I don't see why anybody would get excited by this trailer. It's so very solidly meh. At best it looks like a World of Warcraft clone. The whole "You can change fate!" shtick is so obviously meaningless when you're making an MMO that I have to wonder what they were thinking. The art direction is interesting, but I'm certainly not going to choose/play an MMO based exclusively on art style, especially not one with as baffling of writing as this one appears to have.

One:

2 bags of pretzels!

OT: Extremely dull voiceover, but I guess that was only a test trailer they made to actually get a trailer together and then get a new voiceover, though that is kinda late now. ;)

I can see from the trailer though that yes, it looked like an interesting place to explore, but I can not get myself to like games where you are born/spawned/summoned or in this case "revived/resurrected" as The One to save everything in an MMO.

This works in Singleplayer games, not MMOs where you are supposed to be The One, but as you turn a corner you see 100 other "Chosen ones".

Takes the magic out of it, imo.

It looks terribly generic.

Elves, Dwarves, and Humans in a medieval kingdom. Stuff about fate. As an MMO, it looks too close to WoW to be anything special.

I'm not going to say "good riddance", but it's good that 38 Studios died before they drained even more money on something that would inevitably fail.

Wait, I thought someone bought that company after all the major hubub went down. Wasn't it Epic or someone like that buying them a thing?

Or was there just talk of them being bought and I'm just crazy?

One:

That apparently is actually the sticking point though. The State of Rhode Island owns it, and they want something to the tune of 3m for it. So, yes, far too much.

Well It was ok I guess but it hit my instant mmo WTF moment. You are all the chosen one! Yeah the guy griefing the starting zone by bringing in huge monsters he was chosen by fate to save the world or chosen to do that act or just shut up he was chosen.

I fear it would have to have been much better than the ad to survive the MMO world.

Krat Arona:
Wait, I thought someone bought that company after all the major hubub went down. Wasn't it Epic or someone like that buying them a thing?

Or was there just talk of them being bought and I'm just crazy?

Epic bought Big Huge Games, which made Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. 38 Studios (which owned Big Huge Games) was making Copernicus with a different dev team.

Captcha: LOL cat

Seriously?

Starke:

One:

That apparently is actually the sticking point though. The State of Rhode Island owns it, and they want something to the tune of 3m for it. So, yes, far too much.

3 million? That's it?

I know whoever bought it would have to finish development and everything, but 3 million is chump change to some of these companies...

I guess this had been added to the list of "wanted games that won't be made for real" to some people out there.

Fucking sucks man, the world really is begging to be lived in. It must be pretty shitty, lovingly crafting those environments and then never seeing the game released.

2fish:
Well It was ok I guess but it hit my instant mmo WTF moment. You are all the chosen one! Yeah the guy griefing the starting zone by bringing in huge monsters he was chosen by fate to save the world or chosen to do that act or just shut up he was chosen.

I have to agree with that, that's why I like WoW essentially just saying you're a traveling mercenary/hero/wizard person that happens to be at the right place at the right times to solve problems... Though WoTLK and Cata sort of brought a "chosen one" vibe to the game, unfortunately.

From what I heard, in The Secret World they actually mock that trope by saying (in the templar training area no less) you may have powers that make you unique, but you aren't a "superhero" and you definitely aren't any "chosen one", you're part of their army and not much else.

Back OT: I would say I wanted the game to be released, but I probably wouldn't have been able to play it with my crappy computer anyways. =/

Battlefield 3, Copernicus and Half Life 2 episode 3
Games I will never see.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
Fucking sucks man, the world really is begging to be lived in. It must be pretty shitty, lovingly crafting those environments and then never seeing the game released.

I agree.

Was I the only one who enjoyed the narration?
I was happily surprised to not be greeted by the truly generic "old grizzled man" or the "ephemeral elven-like female" voice.

It did look like a higher poly count version of World of Warcraft but I think I could have enjoyed this.

Sad indeed.

Thus, the circle keeps on turning until someone decides to do something with it.

I wouldn't mind a full-blown online version of Fable really. Just don't let Pete touch it.

The one thing I noticed with the little videos and pictures put out, is that huge would be an understatement for the game. While 'some' bosses and some set pieces may seem huge in some of the MMOs out now, nothing would have been as some of the set pieces in Project Copernicus. Which makes me sad. I would have loved to scroll the camera out as far as I can, and see that even pointing the camera downwards, or upwards for a perspective change, I may not even see the whole monster/building/geographical piece.

Just... Just sop making MMOs. Everyone, just stop. The vast majority of them suck biscuits and they're all almost interchangeable at this point.

Let this company be a warning to you all.

Ah, pictures of what could be but never will be. I can live with that but it's a little depressing.

Man this whole thing is depressing.

Even if it was generic with its designs 38 Studios didn't deserve what happened, they were a bunch of dedicated developers who genuinely wanted to bring games they wanted to the market, such a shame.

One:

Starke:

One:

3 million? That's it?

I know whoever bought it would have to finish development and everything, but 3 million is chump change to some of these companies...

Yeah, no, I fucked up and punched in the wrong number... Apparently Rhode Island is asking for the full amount of the debt. That's either 300 million or ~115 million, depending on who you ask.

And, that's apparently just the rights to the material, not necessarily the code that existed when it went south, the technology used, or anything else, just the IP rights. Though, I'll admit, that's a bit out of my window-shopping range, so they may be willing to throw in some more goodies if you cough up the money.

Who on Earth could mistake this for World of Warcraft? I feel like Andy Chalk is saying all things that are colorful are indistinguishable from WoW. The trailer does have a passing resemblance to Guild Wars 2 though, mostly in the way the concept art is mixed with in-game footage. And also in the fact that it's gorgeous.

Come on now. WoW can be a good-looking game when it puts its mind to it, but between the Ulduars and Vortex Pinnacles are a whole lot of stretched textures and butt-ugly trees.

I loved KoA enough that I was sold on the MMO, most likely.

However, I wanted another single player game, or maybe one with co-op. Not massively.

Brainst0rm:
Who on Earth could mistake this for World of Warcraft? I feel like Andy Chalk is saying all things that are colorful are indistinguishable from WoW. The trailer does have a passing resemblance to Guild Wars 2 though, mostly in the way the concept art is mixed with in-game footage. And also in the fact that it's gorgeous.

Come on now. WoW can be a good-looking game when it puts its mind to it, but between the Ulduars and Vortex Pinnacles are a whole lot of stretched textures and butt-ugly trees.

Anything colourful is identical to WoW. If it's not dark and gritty, it's a Wow Clone.

"All that will be has come before" is, perhaps, not the line you want in your trailer when you're crafting an RPG you're hoping will not only stand out from the crowd, but provide the bread and butter to keep your fledgling studio humming.

Yeah, it's pretty enough. But I'm not going to weep any extra bitter tears for the loss of pretty.

Also? "Three million is chump change" is quite likely the kind of thinking that got 38 Studios into its current state of non-existence. On Kickstarter, $3 million is Wasteland 2. Or Shadowrun Returns, plus Clang. Or Jane Jensen's Pinkerton Road project, plus Tex Murphy- Project Fedora, plus the Leisure Suit Larry resurrection- any one of which, no offense to the good men and women of 38 Studios who I am indeed sorry have lost their jobs, I'm a good deal more interested in coming to fruition than another MMO with little more to show for it than a nicely designed game world and a pretty trailer.

Brainst0rm:

I agree.

My take is that an MMO can take many things from WoW, but it is the subtleties that matter to me.

Lord of the Rings Online has different art style. It also has my favorite crafting system, with the point that when you craft things it actually looks like you are crafting. Sewing on a table for tailoring, hammering on an anvil for smelting, weapon, and armor crafting, a mixing bowl while cooking, etc, etc. Crafting in WoW looked dull, with people's characters twiddling their fingers together to craft things. But yeah, the little things are what sets MMOs apart for me.

Amalur looked to have a sideways similar art style to WoW, and yeah, it also looked like it would look much better than WoW, but these days that isn't hard to do since WoW still has a 6 year old graphics setup. Of course, if they had started making Amalur, I would have recommended that they remove item/weapon wear, because that has no place in an MMO. It was actually one of the reason I didn't end up buying the Reckoning game(to many things that were similar to TES:Oblivion for me to care about it. It was also one of the reasons I got Skyrim, because Bethesda removed things like that.

But, we will never know about the Amalur MMO, because some people didn't know how to manage money in a game company.

I like how the OP described the world as "somewhat generic". Amusing considering that the single-player was the single-most generic fantasy set RPG in years. If the MMO had anything else in common with its offline counterpart, it was also destined to be bland, unimaginative, boring and better off dead. It looks like it would have at best been yet-another WoW clone (of which there are already many others failing) that did nothing new or interesting.

Sonic Doctor:
...I would have recommended that they remove item/weapon wear, because that has no place in an MMO. It was actually one of the reason I didn't end up buying the Reckoning game

Errr...an MMO is actually the only place such a feature belongs. As long as only NPCs can offer the service, it's a small but constant money sink to remove some of the infinite supply of money from the game. It has no place in a single player game but absolutely belongs in an MMO with few, if any, other money sinks.

I know its sad that they worked so hard on this thing and lost so much going under, but it was more then likely doomed to fail anyways. I just came off an extended session of Tera and it looked like a poorer version of it. If it was a tab target game then it had no hope.

The first Trailers for MMOs are allways pretty epic.

Then you see Gameplay footage and remember that its an MMO.

KingsGambit:

Sonic Doctor:
...I would have recommended that they remove item/weapon wear, because that has no place in an MMO. It was actually one of the reason I didn't end up buying the Reckoning game

Errr...an MMO is actually the only place such a feature belongs. As long as only NPCs can offer the service, it's a small but constant money sink to remove some of the infinite supply of money from the game. It has no place in a single player game but absolutely belongs in an MMO with few, if any, other money sinks.

Actually the lack of gear maintenance was a big part of why both Champions and STO's economies got so horribly f---ed, as there were few other EC sinks, and then they took out two of the larger ones when the game went free to play.

Captcha: lost love

Well... that about sums up my feelings on STO, thanks. :p

That voice is pissing me off. And that whole "the circle turns, it turns!" is also pissing me off. Who wrote that shit?

Cool looking trailer but do we really need yet another MMO that will fail anyway? The answer is; no.

I can excuse the lackluster voiceover, since it's clearly a placeholder - but the text itself was pretty lame.

KingsGambit:

Sonic Doctor:
snip

I retract what I said. It was pretty late at night/early morning when I made the comment.

I completely forgot about item wear in MMOs that I've played like LotRO. Now that I think about it, the reason I forgot is that I end up waiting a long time before I repair my gear. I believe I tend to go around 8 hours or so of play before I repair, so that means I usually go three or four days before I repair my gear.

Starke:

Captcha: lost love

Well... that about sums up my feelings on STO, thanks. :p

I stopped playing for the second time about a month ago. I do love the game, best starship/space combat I've played. It has great sound and is wonderfully flashy.

On the item wear and repair:

It is technically still in STO in a way. You just have to be one of those people that play hardcore style level of play, where you have to repair your ship with components and use regeneraters on your character.

But I did like not having to worry about that, I was worried enough as it was losing my favorite Duty Officers from assignment disasters.(Oh! The trials and tribulations of a Starfleet Captain.)

I'll probably come back to the game after I tire of LotRO again. I'm getting in a pattern of switching off between the two.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here