Mass Effect 3 Wii U Ends With Extended Cut

Mass Effect 3 Wii U Ends With Extended Cut

BioWare's space opera will end with less uncertainty on Nintendo's new console.

By now, most people who played Mass Effect 3 and decried its original head-scratcher of an ending have probably downloaded the Extended Cut DLC. This free downloadable package launched last month without too much bile, meaning that gamers are relatively happy with it - or too exhausted from complaining about the original ending to care anymore. When the seminal sci-fi saga hits Nintendo's upcoming Wii U console, it will appear with the Extended Cut content already on-disc and ready to play.

Where this leaves the original three endings is anyone's guess, but Michael Gamble, a Mass Effect producer, makes it clear that the revised endings will be a seamless part of the Wii U experience. "The extended ending is basically going to be part of the game," says Gamble. "You won't have to download it." It's also worth noting that since some of the epilogue scenes in the Extended Cut depend upon players' choices from the first two games, getting every possible ending configuration may not even be possible.

While the primary lesson of Mass Effect 3's ending controversy seems to be "you can't please everyone," it says something that BioWare is looking to sidestep the entire issue for this release. PC, 360, and PS3 gamers have the option to see both the original and the extended endings, but Wii U gamers may be left with fewer choices. Given the original endings' reception, this may not be a bad thing, but rest assured, people are probably going to complain about it either way.

Source: Siliconera

I can't wait to avoid it. Zelda on the other hand....

IF they decide to release the other 3 games, then I'd may be interested in this, but I seriously see absolutely zero point on releasing the third game alone in a new console.

Seminal: It does not mean what you think it does.

Marshall Honorof:
While the primary lesson of Mass Effect 3's ending controversy seems to be "you can't please everyone,"

No the primary lesson of Mass Effect is that you can't trust any developer to keep their promises or stick to their own canon. I'm really sick of the attitude of the escapist staff: "WE 'liked' it so it must be prefect. Everyone else is just strange." Yes WE'RE the fanboys because we expected the ending they promised over and over again, not you lot who would have accepted ANY conclusion as long as Bioware made it. At least Yahtzee had the decency to admit he had no investment in the story.

So by the time the Wii U comes out, people can get yet another game that is sevearly outdated and will be more or less cheaper to buy on other consoles. On top of that adding the "DLC" would be rather redundant, concidering it's free. All they do is save you time from downloading it yourself.

DVS BSTrD:
I'm really sick of the attitude of the escapist staff: "WE 'liked' it so it must be prefect. Everyone else is just strange."

Actually, for what it's worth, I absolutely hated the original endings and felt that the Extended Cut cleared up a lot of what was wrong with them. I know that there's a small contingent of people out there who really did like them, though, so I wanted to be fair to them as well.

Marshall Honorof:

DVS BSTrD:
I'm really sick of the attitude of the escapist staff: "WE 'liked' it so it must be prefect. Everyone else is just strange."

Actually, for what it's worth, I absolutely hated the original endings and felt that the Extended Cut cleared up a lot of what was wrong with them. I know that there's a small contingent of people out there who really did like them, though, so I wanted to be fair to them as well.

Very well, I'm sorry I jumped to conclusions. It's just too damn hot and I've gotten used to being talked down to when this subject comes up here.

DVS BSTrD:

Marshall Honorof:

DVS BSTrD:

Very well, I'm sorry I jumped to conclusions. It's just too damn hot and I've gotten used to being talked down to when this subject comes up here.

No worries. It is pretty brutal out here as well; best thing to do is drink lots of water and keep the air circulating. As far as ME3 goes, I think there is definitely a dialogue to be had about the endings, whether they had any merit, and whether a revised ending was warranted, but hopefully things will be a little more calm and reasoned on both sides now that we've had a few months to chew on it.

Marshall Honorof:

DVS BSTrD:

Marshall Honorof:

No worries. It is pretty brutal out here as well; best thing to do is drink lots of water and keep the air circulating. As far as ME3 goes, I think there is definitely a dialogue to be had about the endings, whether they had any merit, and whether a revised ending was warranted, but hopefully things will be a little more calm and reasoned on both sides now that we've had a few months to chew on it.

It was just infuriating back when the news first broke. First Graham on Penny Arcade comparing retake Mass Effect to George Lucas continuously fucking around with Star Wars: Yes Graham because those two situations are completely identical. We all remember the MASSIVE FAN OUTCRY to make Han Solo more sympathetic. And then Movie Bob: "I can sit here and complain about my childhood being raped by Michael Bay I want, but I would never try to actually DO SOMETHING about it. THAT would be crossing a line." Most of the articles about it were written in the attitude I discribed in the first post. It was frustraiting trying to come-up with a good counter argument because at the time I didn't know the specifics of the plot (aside from the final choice) because I was still in the middle of my replay of ME2. Now everyone's just sick of it.

WiiU is shit.

Trying to redo anything, already out there, is a waste of time.

Hey Nintendo, focus on doing something new and interesting instead of dong 'core gamer' shit, eh?

DVS BSTrD:

Marshall Honorof:
While the primary lesson of Mass Effect 3's ending controversy seems to be "you can't please everyone,"

No the primary lesson of Mass Effect is that you can't trust any developer to keep their promises or stick to their own canon. I'm really sick of the attitude of the escapist staff: "WE 'liked' it so it must be prefect. Everyone else is just strange." Yes WE'RE the fanboys because we expected the ending they promised over and over again, not you lot who would have accepted ANY conclusion as long as Bioware made it. At least Yahtzee had the decency to admit he had no investment in the story.

Does every single goddamn thread about Mass Effect 3 have to trigger another flame war?

EDIT: I see you apologized. My point still stands in general.

If it's true that the extended cut's ending (if not the ending in general) is dependent on choices made in Mass Effect/2 then maybe the Wii-U release will feature a similar comic kind of feature as the PS3 version of Mass Effect 2. It's too bad you can't just import save data from another platform onto the Wii-U though.

Despite putting a couple of careers and, well over a hundred hours of gameplay into both of the earlier games on the 360, I still think I'm just going to wait for the Wii-U release (just like with Arkham City which I haven't even touched yet)

/flameshieldON

Wait... a decent game is coming to a NINTENDO CONSOLE?!?

That hasn't happened in quite a while.

Sober Thal:
WiiU is shit.

Trying to redo anything, already out there, is a waste of time.

Hey Nintendo, focus on doing something new and interesting instead of dong 'core gamer' shit, eh?

They're really getting desperate since I'm not seeing ANY significant effort being put into new IPs for the 'core gamer' and what about all those multiplatform games that were best sellers that were released at least TWO years ago? don't tell me Nintendo expect me to juggle yet ANOTHER console when I ALREADY have all my games on one (or two) system(s)?

Hardcore (or whatever we're called now) gamers have invested a LOT in our chosen console over the years, gotten comfortable and if we moved to the Wii and the online features/community/MORE stringent communication system will feel like hand holding (30 minute lag for messages? what!? will party chat be like that, if they ever get such a feature and I hear FAR worse when wearing a headset which makes the feature to "protect children" redundant, heck the more vulgar crap i heard were kids whose testicles haven 'thought' about descending, howling with shrill pubescent voices!)

I can see people buying the console for 1st party games sure but don't think that releasing the multiplatform games on your system will help much

Especially if the core audience that buys the Wii U at launch are Nintendo fans...

....sooo who's going to buy it?

See, I'm hoping the primary lesson EA and BioWare learned via the ending of ME3 is simply this: endings matter. It's something of an industry trend for game developers to skimp on the conclusions of their stories - as they've run out of either money or steam - and subpar endings can very easily color a player's opinion of the entire game. If these developers want to be taken seriously as storytellers, they must be held to the same standards as any other narrative medium.

alik44:

People who didn´t get around to buying it on the xbox 360 or ps3 and are willing to pay extra for a version with better framerates and graphics.
Makes sense when you think about it, i still have to pick up arkham city so if the wii u version has better fps i might as well buy that.

Why is it just ME3 on the WiiU? No one's gonna buy that! I think they should just come out with a collection version that has all the games in one disc along with DLC. You could seamlessly transition to the next game with a few button presses rather than swap discs. I'd buy a WiiU just for that. But no, they're going for the foolish side of things that will make less money.

I dont remember either of the prequels be available on the wii.

Am I wrong? if I am not... A game such as this.. I don't understand. You literally have the ability to import saved data for a reason y'know?

basically, you will not understand the story unless you play the first 2 games.

At least, certainly not to the same degree. The same can especially be said about the characters in the game.

rolfwesselius:

alik44:

People who didn´t get around to buying it on the xbox 360 or ps3 and are willing to pay extra for a version with better framerates and graphics.
Makes sense when you think about it, i still have to pick up arkham city so if the wii u version has better fps i might as well buy that.

I'm fairly certain it's already been said that the Wii U will be as powerful as the PS3 and Xbox 360, maybe slightly more powerful. So I doubt the Wii U version will have better graphics or framerates, and even if it does, it probably won't be a big enough difference to justify paying extra for the Wii U version.

Kungfu_Teddybear:

rolfwesselius:

alik44:

I'm fairly certain it's already been said that the Wii U will be as powerful as the PS3 and Xbox 360, maybe slightly more powerful. So I doubt the Wii U version will have better graphics or framerates, and even if it does, it probably won't be a big enough difference to justify paying extra for the Wii U version.

The wii u is much more powerfull than the xbox 360 because the hardware is six years ahead of the xbox 360.
Of course the game will have better framerates and graphics.

This is why I feel like the Wii U is going to be like the PS3 + a tiny bit, more for converting Wii casual gamers into more involved gamers, than for people who play games like Mass Effect itself, because all it's big things so far are that it'll have games available from the last generation of consoles that most of the hardcore people have already played. When the PS4 and 720 come out, it's still going to be just as dated as the Wii was

DVS BSTrD:

Marshall Honorof:

Look I get you didn't like the original ending, that's cool, I can see all the reasons why that might be the case and they're completely valid, but now it feels like you've gone to the extreme of insulting me for liking the ending. There are perfectly valid reasons for liking the ending too and I'm as much a Mass Effect fan as anyone else, I didn't like it because I don't understand canon and I wouldn't have accepted any conclusion, I liked _this_ one.

There really is no need to dismiss either side, my reasons for enjoying the original ending without the extended cut are simple

1. Bioware is really really judgemental about the choices you pick, throughout the entirety of 1 and 2 there was pretty clearly a good choice and a bad choice, and the bad choice was normally top right. If you look at it, it feels like you're being given a choice on what to tell the Quarians of Tali's side quest, but actually your deciding between having both races survive and a happy ending or deciding to pointlessly kill one of your own companions and genocide a race.

Equally, if you want to destroy that collector base every person will remind you at every opportunity that you made a bad call doing that.

etc. So I didn't want Bioware to tell me how it ended, I was tired of being told my choices were right or wrong and I loved that they didn't show you what happened to the Krogans or anyone else, because I wanted to be allowed to have hope for myself about what happened instead about it once again

2. I liked the music and tone, it was a long hard battle against a threat greater than the galaxy itself. It felt right that it was hard and cost nearly everything we had, but at the end we made it through and we have that glimmer of hope that our future is no longer constrained or bounded.

3. The Reapers were a crud enemy with poor motivation the whole games through, it was nice they decided to fix that, even if they did wait far far too long. (admittedly the ex. edition doesn't stop that, 1 is my most important motivation and 2 second by far)

I want to say again, that you aren't wrong to dislike the ending, I genuinely understand and in fact it took my a lot longer to figure out why I liked the ending. As I was watching it I found myself loving it but on every intellectual level I could only see the bad parts (I played the game without knowing what the ending controversy was, but knowing there was one) but what I'm asking is that you do the same for me, I wouldn't have accepted any conclusion, I accepted this one because I liked it. In fact I would have struggled much more to accept the extended version, I was really loathe even to install it

I still don't see the point of releasing the 3rd game in the trilogy... ME3 is mediocre at best when analysed in a vacuum. Most of the game's best moments only work so well because of the build up from the previous two.

Marshall Honorof:

While it's true you can't please everyone, that's a really bad excuse for fucking up and/or acting obnoxious. I thought the primary lesson was "don't fuck customers over with cynical insulting garbage". Either that or "gaming journalism reflects the interests of the industry, especially at the expense of gamers". That second one is not directed at the author of this article or the escapist specifically. Although, failing to call out Bioware for it's nonsense and even making apologies for it speaks volumes as far as I am concerned.

Why is it that every time a game company fucks up they declare that it was impossible to please their fans anyway?

"Syndicate was a lost battle from the get go."

Then why the fuck did you green-light making the game?

"Mass Effect couldn't possibly live up to people's expectations."

Then why did you artificially inflate those expectations with hype and bullshit promises beforehand?

BrotherRool:
There really is no need to dismiss either side, my reasons for enjoying the original ending without the extended cut are simple

1. Bioware is really really judgemental about the choices you pick, throughout the entirety of 1 and 2 there was pretty clearly a good choice and a bad choice, and the bad choice was normally top right. If you look at it, it feels like you're being given a choice on what to tell the Quarians of Tali's side quest, but actually your deciding between having both races survive and a happy ending or deciding to pointlessly kill one of your own companions and genocide a race.

The best outcome of the Rannoch mission is only available as a consequence of your choices in the game - if you did the legwork, you get the Third Option as your reward. If you didn't, it comes down one or the other, and you're never explicitly said to be wrong. At the end of ME1, you'll always have one squadmate urging you to let the Council die while another tells you to save them. Same goes for sparing or killing the Rachni Queen. If you shoot the Virmire Survivor to get to Udina, characters will flat-out tell you it's not your fault, that it had to be done. If you sabotage the genophage cure, Garrus will tell you he would've done the same thing.

In other words, it's not a "good/bad" dichotomy because there are internal justifications for any action Shepard takes (ie: if you let the Council die in 1, the Alliance is in a much stronger position at the start of ME3). You might feel that one choice is more moral than another, but that's entirely about you and the way you're role-playing the game, and the decisions you feel comfortable with.

etc. So I didn't want Bioware to tell me how it ended, I was tired of being told my choices were right or wrong and I loved that they didn't show you what happened to the Krogans or anyone else, because I wanted to be allowed to have hope for myself about what happened instead about it once again

I'm not sure what you mean by not wanting to be told how your choices affect the story - that's pretty much the mechanism that separates ME3 and its BioWare contemporaries from other RPGs where there's only one path to follow. Nothing wrong with linearity, of course - Final Fantasy VI is amazing even though you can't meta-game the plot in any way - but it's not a part of this series.

2. I liked the music and tone, it was a long hard battle against a threat greater than the galaxy itself. It felt right that it was hard and cost nearly everything we had, but at the end we made it through and we have that glimmer of hope that our future is no longer constrained or bounded.

Where does this glimmer of hope appear in the original ending? The Citadel explodes, the mass relays explode, the Normandy's engines explode, and three of your crew members are shown walking into a jungle. There's no context for assuming things work out at all. You can infer whatever you like, but that means someone else can infer the opposite just as well.

3. The Reapers were a crud enemy with poor motivation the whole games through, it was nice they decided to fix that, even if they did wait far far too long. (admittedly the ex. edition doesn't stop that, 1 is my most important motivation and 2 second by far)

And here's where I really disagree with you. There's a difference between "poor motivation" and "unknown motivation" - until the Catalyst materializes, the fact is that you don't know why the Reapers are doing what they do. You can ask them at various points, but all they say is that you could never hope to understand them. This is what's referred to in Tropese as "Nothing Is Scarier" (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NothingIsScarier), because we're more afraid of the unknown than we are of explicable things. Jason Voorhees is scarier when you don't know what's behind his mask, and the Reapers are scarier when their motives are so beyond human comprehension that we literally can't figure them out (as opposed to: We are synthetics who kill organics so they won't make synthetics who will kill organics).

Fappy:
I still don't see the point of releasing the 3rd game in the trilogy... ME3 is mediocre at best when analysed in a vacuum. Most of the game's best moments only work so well because of the build up from the previous two.

Well... yes. I imagine Return of the Jedi, Mockingjay and Return of the King wouldn't do too well when detached from their predecessors either. You might as well walk into the third act of a play and evaluate it on its own.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.