Update: Square Enix May Have Axed Final Fantasy Versus XIII

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Update: Square Enix May Have Axed Final Fantasy Versus XIII

Inside reports claim Versus XIII has been melted down into Final Fantasy XV.

Six years following the first announcement of Final Fantasy Versus XIII, rumors have surfaced suggesting that the project has been killed off. Assuming they can be trusted, it seems that Square Enix has been planning to cancel development for some time already.

Square Enix originally announced Final Fantasy Versus XIII with a launch trailer at E3 in May 2006, but little has been heard about the project since apart from a smattering of screenshots and trailers. The game was notably absent from this year's E3 conference as well as last year's Tokyo Game Show, raising doubts as to whether development was still going ahead. Now, "several sources" have told Kotaku that work on the title has ceased, with one report saying that the axe fell a mere few weeks back. A further source claims that a few months ago, the resources that had already gone into the game were "folded" into Final Fantasy XV. While this information was confirmed independently by yet another informant, neither were clear as to whether the merging of projects involved a transfer of code and assets or simply a reshuffling of staff.

Despite the timescale these revelations would suggest, Square Enix has kept the whole scenario very much under wraps, presumably for fear of a hit to stock prices. The situation has reportedly hurt morale at the company, which refuses to give any specific comment on the situation. When asked for details, it simply stated, "We have no information on the status of Final Fantasy Versus XIII, but will be sure to update you as it becomes available."

Source: Kotaku

Update: Square Enix president Yoichi Wada has denied the rumor via Twitter, claiming that he had just been in a meeting with the game's development team, and that the cityscape they presented would "knock you off your feet."

Source: Andriasang

Not surprising. It's been so long and we've seen so little.

I guess we can safely call the "Fabula Nova Crystalis" project a bust?

Trishbot:
Not surprising. It's been so long and we've seen so little.

I guess we can safely call the "Fabula Nova Crystalis" project a bust?

I think it was a bust around the time they changed the name of one of the games then added an extra direct sequel into the mix.

I already said my feelings in the other thread but basically it's a rumor by kotaku using the same unnamed sources this website just made fun of today. Also there's already a facebook petition.
http://www.facebook.com/fabulavxiii

Well, if they reshuffle things and make Versus 13 into Final Fantasy 15, I wouldn't mind too much. A similar thing happened with FF9 back in the day.

However, if they are to totally ditch the entire thing, I would be disappointed. Although they didn't show much of the game, I really like the 'feeling' and the setting of the game and it would be waste to ditch it entirely.

bluegate:
Well, if they reshuffle things and make Versus 13 into Final Fantasy 15, I wouldn't mind too much. A similar thing happened with FF9 back in the day.

However, if they are to totally ditch the entire thing, I would be disappointed. Although they didn't show much of the game, I really like the 'feeling' and the setting of the game and it would be waste to ditch it entirely.

Final Fantsy 9? What was that almost?

On Topic, I was just talking to a guy at gamestop who told me Versus may be axed. Pitty really. Though there are the reports that the "next" final fantasy would be announced during its 25th, in fact announced on Escapist. Maybe this is the transition to that.

Looks like Final Fantasy Versus has been...

*puts on sunglasses*

...Square E-Nixed

dragongit:

Originally, the Final Fantasy X we know was to be the ninth installment in the series, however, a side project caught the eye of some guy within square-enix and that was promoted to be Final Fantasy 9, the original FF9 turning into FF10.

This isn't really that detailed an explanation but it's the gist of it. For a more accurate explanation you should hit Wikipedia or some FF fan-site.

That is what I remember reading somewhere anyway, if anything I say is wrong, feel free to set me straight.

Why kill the one that looked good and make two sequels to the one that was shit? The mind boggles.

To this day I still have no idea what this game was even supposed to be.

Fappy:

^This. To me so far it's like a coagulation of random jelly pieces. Err..yeah.

After FF13, I've been really wary of 'super ultra awesome' cinematics. I've seen games that were BEAUTIFUL, but amazingly lacking in substance *cough 13* cough

edit: Fappy. Fap...py....

Oh God..cannot be unseen =_=

antipunt:

Fappy:

^This. To me so far it's like a coagulation of random jelly pieces. Err..yeah.

After FF13, I've been really wary of 'super ultra awesome' cinematics. I've seen games that were BEAUTIFUL, but amazingly lacking in substance *cough 13* cough

edit: Fappy. Fap...py....

Oh God..cannot be unseen =_=

I've been around for awhile you know. Surprised you're just now seeing.

;P

kurupt87:
Why kill the one that looked good and make two sequels to the one that was shit? The mind boggles.

Because the two sequels to the one that was shit will be easier to produce and sell. Rather than Nomura's 6 year old vaporware.

Honestly I cared about Versus 13 a few years ago and was excited for it.
But oh well maybe now we can have a good FF game rather than 13 dragging it's half dead carcass about for even longer.

SkarKrow:

kurupt87:

Because the two sequels to the one that was shit will be easier to produce and sell. Rather than Nomura's 6 year old vaporware.

Honestly I cared about Versus 13 a few years ago and was excited for it.
But oh well maybe now we can have a good FF game rather than 13 dragging it's half dead carcass about for even longer.

I kind of got the impression that Nomura with Versus was like Peter Molyneux with, well, anything. Except, he wasn't promising it to us he was promising it to himself, chasing rainbows so to speak.

I don't understand why after the critical failure of 13 they didn't switch focus to versus and get that out rather than try and resurrect 13. Why would I buy a sequel to a bad game?

Sigh, it did look good. I just mean the atmosphere/tone of the thing.

And about 13, haven't they only just announced/rumoured that second sequel?

You know, I heard from my own anonymous sources that an anonymous source within 'the company' told me that 'it' wasn't canceled. See? I can do it too.

I'm pretty sure that this is just a rumor. Until SE actually comes forward and tells us something I'll take it with a grain of salt. A lot of people seem to be jumping to conclusions with this from what I've seen on other forums. One of the Facebook comments on this article believes that the confirmed-to-be-fake FFXV trailer is real, others are swearing off SE (yeah, right) or condemning them to failure for it, and others hope this just means KH3 will come sooner. I kinda wish I could send a giant message saying that "It's just a game, people!" Games die in development all the time and most of them never receive any fanfare. If this is true, then oh well--it may have been a good game, but we move on. If it's false, we'll still be stuck waiting for it.

Didn't you guys already report a similar story awhile ago? Wasn't that story later proven to be bogus? I think the same thing will happen again.

I have to say, the latest Critical Miss seems surprisingly relevant to this.

dragongit:

bluegate:

Many speculated that it was going to be a sequel to Final Fantasy Tactics, due to the concept art sharing the same art style as Tactics. That never panned out, so we got the FFIX we all know and love.

So...

Does this mean that Tetsuya Nomura will finally start working on Kingdom Hearts 3? Y'know.. that title that everyone and their dog have been asking for for 7 (!) years? The one even Disney themselves wants?

No?

sigh...

Seriously, all we've seen of vs13 are the standard pre-rendered trailers squeenix churns out instead of good games these days, so they can talk premise and vision all they want and I still wouldn't give a toss about it dying.

If the rumors turn out to be true I hope FFXV has the combat system that FF versus XIII was supposed to have. I love the Kingdom Hearts style combat system. I pry would have stuck with FFXIII more if it had that type of combat in it.

lancar:
So...

Does this mean that Tetsuya Nomura will finally start working on Kingdom Hearts 3? Y'know.. that title that everyone and their dog have been asking for for 7 (!) years? The one even Disney themselves wants?

No?

sigh...

Seriously, all we've seen of vs13 are the standard pre-rendered trailers squeenix churns out instead of good games these days, so they can talk premise and vision all they want and I still wouldn't give a toss about it dying.

Start at around 3 minutes if you want to skip to the actual gameplay.

This will be a damn shame if this game wasn't made into FFXV, it would be even better if they put it through that new engine of theirs.

Nice move I see what you did there. I think this is more getting rid of the bad taste FF XIII has left in people's mouths and trying to disassociate the game from it as much as possible rather than flat out reabsorb it into the company but that is just me. If it is that nice move SE.

You almost had me there with the old switcharoo.

I'll probably wait until Square does an official announcement, but if it's true, then I'll be a sad panda. The CGI and in-game graphics for it were just so damn awesome.

And perhaps someone could correct me, but weren't a lot of the things for this game "done" so to speak? I mean, weren't they in the Voice Acting stage like a year ago because most if not all of the story was done? And they had a combat system that it seemed solid and set in stone too.

Granted I don't know how much of that was truth and not just simple lies, but it would be a shame to see it go. Unless they made it have a different title like they did with Agito XIII becoming Type-0, though I don't think that would be the case.

It would be really messed up for the people who worked on it for the past...however long they were actually working on it, to just stop. On a slightly more positive note if this is true, is that KH3 would probably be on its way to being made (not that I don't appreciate Days, BBS, and 3D. Not to mention the constant wave of KH games for the past 5 years or so).

Guess we'll see. Just a rumor right now afterall.

I've heard two rumors this week:

This one from here,

and one about how Sega will reboot the Sonic Franchise and get rid of a grand majority of characters.

Frankly, I don't think either are true.

I knew this one would be scrapped for a while. Why would they devote resources to XIII-2 over this? It boggles my mind. Besides, who was the monumental retard who decided that XIII was more worthy of an extended universe than XII? And why was fortress abandoned? Sqeenix deserves to fail at this point, no company should be consistently making decisions this stupid and remaining in business.

JokerboyJordan:

lancar:
So...

No?

sigh...

Start at around 3 minutes if you want to skip to the actual gameplay.

This will be a damn shame if this game wasn't made into FFXV, it would be even better if they put it through that new engine of theirs.

Yeah.. make 15 with the new engine.. and the game will be done around 2025 when the PS5 comes out and we get consoles powerful enough to run something that looks like that. Trying to make all these games in ultra-high-end graphics is the reason stuff is taking 7+ years to be released.

Well...

Eh, I just don't know what to say, Square-Enix. It wouldn't be the first time they kinda messed with the whole Fabula Nova Crystalis ting in order to fit their needs. Just look at Type-0.
So...considering most of us have been waiting for this game for who knows how long and it's still probably not gonna live up to our expectations, I'd considered ourselves lucky if they actually turned it until FFXV. It would actually mean that's the next game they're gonna work on (Hopefully, unless they feel like releasing more spin-offs and remakes).

And then maybe, just maybe, if we're lucky enough, we'll have KH3 before this decaude is over.

Figures that they'd cancel the only FF game I've ever been even moderately interested in playing.

Here's hoping it becomes FFXV, it should have been anyway, considering it has seemingly nothing to do with FFXIII.

lancar:
So...

No?

sigh...

He's already stated himself in Famitsu months ago that the KH3D-which just came out today, btw-leads directly into KH3.

I call bullshit on the rumor. Especially since S.E. didn't announce it.

TLS14:

Many speculated that it was going to be a sequel to Final Fantasy Tactics, due to the concept art sharing the same art style as Tactics. That never panned out, so we got the FFIX we all know and love.

Really? I just don't see it. Maybe some of the clothes, but that's it.
The art styles are fairly different.

In Tactics, characters are mostly uniform (for the purposes of fitting them onto a grid system. Also, nobody seems to have a nose).
In FF9, proportions, shapes and sizes are all over the place.

mysecondlife:

Agreed, since FF XIII vs is the "closest" to a Final Fantasy game we had in years and seems more dark and serious, not mainstreamed like that colorful overacted over dramatic bag of crap that was FF XIII and FF XII-2

SquareEnix knows that they "cant" afford another disappointment to the fanbase since they no longer gobble up anything with the FF logo anymore and have to actually THINK about what they're making beyond the pretty cut-scenes.

Odd chance that they may be trying to make a XBOX360 version that delayed FF XIII release?

Atmos Duality:

TLS14:

Really? I just don't see it. Maybe some of the clothes, but that's it.
The art styles are fairly different.

In Tactics, characters are mostly uniform (for the purposes of fitting them onto a grid system. Also, nobody seems to have a nose).
In FF9, proportions, shapes and sizes are all over the place.

I can't see it much either, but that's the explanation I've come across most often on the internet.

FantomOmega:

mysecondlife:

Agreed, since FF XIII vs is the "closest" to a Final Fantasy game we had in years and seems more dark and serious, not mainstreamed like that colorful overacted over dramatic bag of crap that was FF XIII and FF XII-2

SquareEnix knows that they "cant" afford another disappointment to the fanbase since they no longer gobble up anything with the FF logo anymore and have to actually THINK about what they're making beyond the pretty cut-scenes.

Odd chance that they may be trying to make a XBOX360 version that delayed FF XIII release?

Who knows? 6 or something years since announcement and they still stated that it will be PS3 exclusive. I get the feeling that its not worth porting over to xbox at this point.

If this is true and XIII gets another sequel, I'm done with Square Enix. Period. This is just insane. Versus was one of the only games from them I had a legitimate interest in playing, and instead of that we get more bullshit added on to a terrible game. ALL of my rage right now.

Meh, who gives a shit

MAKE THE 6TH LEGACY OF KAIN GAME ALREADY!

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here