Desmond Miles May Leave Assassin's Creed Soon

Pages PREV 1 2

gigastar:

Nobody will mourn his departure. And I know ill be pushing the boat off the pier.

Is this really how people feel about lovable Desmond? I see so much hate for him here that I didn't know even existed! I mean sure, in AC1 he was a bit bland but they made him a great deal more interesting towards the end! Why would you kill off a character who has only just begun to show his true colours?! Personally I love Desmond and how he's developed over the series and think it would be a shame to lose him for no good reason..

WaysideMaze:
As much as I love the look of AC3 (and believe me, I cannot wait for this game to come out) I'd have liked for them to have wrapped up the series by setting it in modern day. I know there were always small segments for Desmond, but nothing meaty like with the Ancestors. And it always felt like that's where the series was heading anyway.

I guess we'll see what happens when AC3 comes out. I hate hyping myself up for games, but I'm a complete fanboy when it comes to this series.

you and me both man. i was hopeing the last game in the serise would be set in the modern era.

The problem with Desmond is that he is in every single game and he is the least explored character in the series. He is a shitty character because your writers need to take more basic writing classes. He could easily become interesting if you made him the central character of a game rather than a story device. I mean, that is story telling 101 right there, don't give a character a name or a line if he isn't a character.

is there some law that says that developers have to announce everything twice? or that game journolists have to report on everything twice?
they already said "assassin's creed III will see the end of desmond's story"
and - alright, i guess that's really just developers talk for "we're planning to keep squeezing this series. but seriously! "we WILL disscontinue desmond" followed me "hey! desmond may be discontinued soon!"

I feel like they've kinda got stuck with him now, and are gonna have to find a way to deal with him. He needs to do some assassin type shit. Yeah, I don't like him, but they dug their own graves here.

...What? I honestly don't get this statement. Yeah, I can understand finishing the main plot and ending a character arc...but let's be honest, despite the implications they never really gave Desmond much of a character arc to start with. He had little to no material to work with until the little minigames in Revelations, which delved into his backstory far more than recent events and even that is a secondary plot-point at best, with the bulk of the game focusing on Ezio's character arc, as had the two games before it, much like how the first installment overwhelmingly focused on Altair. For pete's sake, if you're going to 'end' a character, at least give that character some screentime to work with before you do it.

Not that I'm not glad that Desmond's leaving, but...really? That whole plotline is just going to be dropped? None of this was going ANYWHERE?

I just want one developer to plan out the ending to their franchise BEFORE they start on any sequels. Is that too much to ask?

I've already read multiple places and from multiple sources within ubisoft that this would be the last Desmond-centered game.

Sorry to break it to you OP, but this really isn't new news. I kinda thought a lot of people knew this.

PureIrony:
Not that I'm not glad that Desmond's leaving, but...really? That whole plotline is just going to be dropped? None of this was going ANYWHERE?

I just want one developer to plan out the ending to their franchise BEFORE they start on any sequels. Is that too much to ask?

Its probably going to be concluded in this game, not just dropped, I've read they planned Desmond's story to be a trilogy from the start. His rise to assassindom, so to speak.

What a horrible terrible thing to happen.

I shall personally break out the champagne and karaoke to Mourne his passing.

Well, I'll definately miss Desmond, but I agree that the series needs to move on.

Well, I liked the Desmod-parts most. Especially in AC1. Then again, I hated how they were actually made. I liked the story more than the presentation.
Now they're getting rid of him for the sake of
*appealing to a wider audience*. -.-
I stopped interest in AC after AC 2.5 anyway.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here