Just Cause 2 Still Going Strong

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Just Cause 2 Still Going Strong

Avalanche Studios attributes its success to a refusal to rely on "crap" DLC.

As DLC becomes more and more prevalent in today's games, it's very easy to forget that it actually hasn't been part of the industry for that long. Almost all major releases of the past few years, from Batman: Arkham City to Portal 2 contain some form of DLC, eventually drying up as interest in the game wanes. For some rare titles, this isn't actually the case, as play statistics for Just Cause 2 recently proved. Despite not having a DLC release for over two years, the game still garners an impressive active fanbase, engaging over 100,000 unique players per month last March alone.

"It's the freedom," explained Avalance Studios co-founder Christofer Sundberg. "Just Cause 2 is a full-out playground for the players who want to explore and have fun for 15 minutes or 15 hours. It doesn't really matter."

What makes Just Cause 2's persistence surprising is that Avalanche hasn't been directly supporting the game for over two years. JC2 never received an official expansion, DLC updates have long dried-up, and the game doesn't even have an official multiplayer mode to warrant player interest. Yet the numbers show that the single-player game supports a respectable number of players to this day. To Sundberg, this proves conclusively that quality gameplay will always draw more players than forced online features and downloadable content.

"DLC is not needed to keep players engaged if the game is well executed," Sundberg said. "We created a game allowing players to properly explore and have fun and not focusing so much on the actual end goal of the game ... As most publishers and developers have run around as headless chickens the last three years looking for a way to make money DLC was definitively a tool to try to keep players engaged, but how many games have been truly successful with DLC? Not that many."

Sundberg did point out that there's nothing wrong with DLC in and of itself, as long as it doesn't take away from an excellent core experience. "I like DLC, but the DLC we released for JC2 was standard stuff and they haven't helped keep the players motivated to keep on playing," Sundberg said. "It was the game itself ... Proper DLC that adds VALUE is great but so far very few games have motivated me to actually pay for the DLC. I've just paid for the crap that developers decided to cut because they didn't have the time to get into the game. 'We save that for DLC' - famous last words."

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm in the mood to hookshoot a fighter jet.

Source: Eurogamer

NOTE: A previous version of this story stated that Just Cause 2 had a multiplayer component, which it does not. We apologize for the mistake, and any inconvenience it may have caused.

Thankfully a developer finally gets it.
I think i'm going to go back and play some Just Cause again...

Is the multiplayer only on PC?

If so, I hope Just Cause 3 (Please let there be a Just Cause 3) will have multiplayer for consoles.

Fanghawk:
'We save that for DLC' - famous last words.

Unless you're name is Bioware.
or Bathesda

I don't recall Just Cause 2 having MP on the 360. It's been awhile though.

Just Cause 2 had multiplayer on the PC version?

Avalanche, I would have paid out the ass for console multiplayer.......

Aaaaaargh! He got me with his wire thing...

Just Cause 2 has MP? Well I never... Is it just Death Match or something else?

W-wha?! JC2 has multiplayer?

ALL OF MY MON- Oh, right - I already own a copy. Is this a platform-exclusive thing? Because I'm sure I never saw the option on my PS3 version, unless they patched it in since I stopped playing...

Just cause 2 has multi? why the hell was I not informed of this sooner? I need to reinstall that.

What.. Just Cause 2 doesn't have multiplayer?

The multiplayer is a mod. a damn fucking good one at that. if you ever played gta multiplayer, youll have a feeling how its like.

draythefingerless:
The multiplayer is a mod. a damn fucking good one at that. if you ever played gta multiplayer, youll have a feeling how its like.

Thanks for clarifying.

Nowhere in the article does it say that, this is really poorly written and bound to confuse a lot of people. Myself included.

I... what...?
Just Cause 2's multiplayer is a mod, not even at full-release yet.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/259150/fun_with_the_just_cause_2_multiplayer_mod.html

He's probably just referring to the amount of people who boot up and play the game, not multiplayer.

I think, at least.

Elate:

draythefingerless:

Thanks for clarifying.

Nowhere in the article does it say that, this is really poorly written and bound to confuse a lot of people. Myself included.

Yeah, very poorly written. If you look at the "source" article, you can see they aren't even talking about the multiplayer mode. Rather, forced multiplayer was lumped in with "crap DLC" as one of those things the game didn't need. The 100,000 unique players per week is also for the game itself, not the nonexistent-except-as-a-mod multiplayer mode (which I think is still a beta, anyway.) All in all, a very misleading and poorly adapted article.

It's a damn shame that JC3 hasn't been announced.
:(

This is making me want to play the game again..

Sweet! Gives me great hope for a great Just Cause 3.

I'm not surprised! A bloody good game, if I do say so myself. I can't wait for JC3. Alright, I can - but I hope it'll be better than JC2... Alright, just-as-good is good enough for me :D

Am I the only one who thought that for all the hype about JC2 being endless fun, it really wasn't any better than the first one, and in fact due to the shoddy character models and hideous voice acting, was actually even worse? The combat was piss poor in my opinion, and while the shenanigans you could get up to with a jet was fun, it was literally the only really fun part, and Saints Row 2 still did it better. You couldn't even have the pleasure of utterly laying waste to an army camp or oil rig with an attack helicopter, because any kind of completion required you to jump out and run around collecting those stupid fucking crates. For the sake of just messing around, I'd still put my money on Prototype any day.

Talk about your botched articles! At least he fixed it lol.

wow, progress!

Well grappling a speeding jeep to the floor so that it backflips over the edge of a bridge and plummets into the water below is not going to get old is it. I may have to test this though just to make sure *goes to play Just Cause 2 again*

Catpcha: make my day. So true captcha

There are thousands and thousands of locations in the game. I don't trust anyone who's actually beaten it.

Yeah, carnage on that scale tends to give a game lots of replay value. I beat the game once, enjoyed it because it was fun but I have no intention of ever playing it again.

well I'm glad a single player game is getting a lot love and now thanks to that PC mod it will get even more love. Just like what happen to ArmaII and the DayZ mod

a game i still dint had the chance to play. neither this on even the first one. ah yes, because it requires LIVE.

I may be in the minority but I didn't feel engaged in Just Cause 2 at all. Sure I had a bit of fun looking around, trying the vehicles, seeing the environment, (which is generally stunning,) and tethering enemies to helicopters... but I just didn't find any of it compelling. I was just uninterested. I feel like I'm kind of missing out.

Metalrocks:
a game i still dint had the chance to play. neither this on even the first one. ah yes, because it requires LIVE.

It does? I have it on steam and it doesn't need Live.

DVS BSTrD:

Fanghawk:
'We save that for DLC' - famous last words.

Unless you're name is Bioware.
or Bathesda

Or possibly THQ.

Love it when more and more evidence flies in the face of industry logic.

shameduser:

Metalrocks:

It does? I have it on steam and it doesn't need Live.

yeah, i read it as well that it doesnt require LIVE on steam. but i prefer to have the retail version since downloading takes a long time for me.
maybe for the next special sales i might get it once it 75% off.

I just spent something like two hours trying to tether a boat to a jet before it took off. Finally getting to ride a boat through the air made all of that effort worth it.

I think it would be really funny if avalanche made just cause 3 with tacked on multiplayer and on disk DLC. I loved JC2 though and I'm glad that it still has a good fanbase.

Just Cause 2 is one of my favorite games of all time and this is one of the reasons, everything is in the game the moment you boot it up. Sure there are DLC weapons and vehicles some of which is free and some costs around a buck or two but Avalanche didn't try to block off half of Panau and force you to pay $15 to unlock it. Capitcha: "You're not listening" I doubt many developers are at this point.

Just Cause 2 is successful because it's the biggest videogame world next to Daggerfall, and says "fuck you" to logic, physics, reason, rationality, and sanity. It's the world's largest virtual playground.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.