EA Makes Millions Using Facebook Ads

EA Makes Millions Using Facebook Ads

Thousands of people bought Battlefield 3 before or after posting pictures of their lunch online.

Remember in The Social Network when Sean Parker/Justin Timberlake says Facebook ads aren't cool? Well, he may have been right. But do you know what ads are if not cool? Stupidly, stupidly profitable. For proof, look no further EA's Battlefield 3 advertising campaign. After investing $2.75 million dollars into Facebook advertisements, an analysis has revealed that the campaign generated approximately $12 million in sales revenue. And that's just one successful example.

"Independent analysis of more than 60 campaigns, 45 of which were completed in the first half of this year, show that 70 per cent of those campaigns delivered a return on ad spend of 3x or better," said Facebook COO Sheryl K. Sandberg. "Electronic Arts recently spent $2.75 million promoting Battlefield 3 on Facebook. They attributed $12.1 million of their sales to these ads, translating to a 4.4x return on their Facebook marketing spend."

EA's $2.75 million likely wasn't the guarantee for their success (although it certainly didn't hurt). Smaller gaming companies, like mobile developer Wooga, saw download increases of 26-37% internationally once their Facebook campaigns began. The ability to simply use Facebook as an advertising platform is enough to make people try your product.

While this data does present Facebook as a favorable advertising platform for videogames, developers might want to hesitate before rushing in. Mark Zuckerberg himself noted that game developers actually surrender a higher percentage of ad revenue compared to other entertainment media, since Facebook is considered to be providing "a lot of the value" in the advertising process. So while Facebook certainly holds promise for getting the word out about your gaming project, if small developers have to start competing with EA-scale campaigns, there's a chance that they might lose more than they gain.

Source: Games Industry International, via Eurogamer

EA can "attribute" all the sales they want, but I'm surprised that they've managed to Facebook to the list of things they ruined for everyone else.
I mean, Facebook is already ruined!

In before mindless EA hate? Damn. Almost.

people are actually buying shit a game stuff in insane amounts just based on FB ads?
WHARGARBHL.
then again, FB...
well, good for them, I guess, considering the whole stock thing.

weird. never saw a single add for BF3 on FB. maybe hong kong dint allow it or was just for certain countries.
doesnt matter. not surprised about it. €A always tries everything to make money.

Ads on a site everyone uses makes people aware of your game? Who would have guessed.

I'm sorry, but I don't buy it. Who precisely was attracted that way? Most gamers knew about BF3 way before the campaigns, and I can hardly believe the Facebook-casual-gamer would buy BF3 ... So ... what?

FEichinger:
I'm sorry, but I don't buy it. Who precisely was attracted that way? Most gamers knew about BF3 way before the campaigns, and I can hardly believe the Facebook-casual-gamer would buy BF3 ... So ... what?

This. I'd love to see the small print in whatever report EA says this is from.

Never underestimate the amount of people who don't know about things.

Not exactly shocking. Advertizing on the most popular social network of all time makes sales revenue? I would never have guessed.

Explains why Facebook cant float thier shares, if their only hope is advertising and all the profits from that bugger offo folk like EA.

More reason why the economy is all screwed up... We can make money based on literally nothing.

Yep... more reason for me to think Advertising and marketing should be outlawed.

The Escapist, with thrilling news stories such as: Advertising on a major social networking sight gets you more customers. Next week: Water is wet, a special report. (Do you see what I did there? Rather then immediately hating on EA I hated on the Escapist, oh aren't I edgy and super hit for not doing the thing everyone else is doing.)

I pretty much figured that advertising on facebook was a good way to make money. There are so many people that it makes it really easy to get your name out there and in advertising getting your name in peoples' heads is the the name of the game.

So, can we all abandon Facebook NOW?

Twilight_guy:
The Escapist, with thrilling news stories such as: Advertising on a major social networking sight gets you more customers. Next week: Water is wet, a special report. (Do you see what I did there? Rather then immediately hating on EA I hated on the Escapist, oh aren't I edgy and super hit for not doing the thing everyone else is doing.)

I pretty much figured that advertising on facebook was a good way to make money. There are so many people that it makes it really easy to get your name out there and in advertising getting your name in peoples' heads is the the name of the game.

I hear that there's this thing called fire and it's HOT! Really... I'm serious look it up... it's amazing what we can discover with technology today.

I still find it creepy how they can tailor ads to what you post on your wall, but I wouldn't know too much about it considering I don't use Facebook. I DO know that ads work best when you don't think about them (like when people say they "tune them out". Doesn't help much when they are trying to spoon-feed you ads though.

weirdguy:
Never underestimate the amount of people who don't know about things.

This is true. Many 'gift' purchases of BF3 might have been made by addled grandmas using "the facebook" at any given time. Likely on the wrong platform as well (on top of having the receiver already owning a copy), but that changes nothing in the long run.

Capcha: come what may

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here