Half-Life 3 Mistakenly Appears on Gamescom Listing

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Half-Life 3 Mistakenly Appears on Gamescom Listing

Gamescom organizers put two unannounced sequels on a list of games appearing at the convention.

With Gamescom 2012 kicking off in Germany this week, the industry is buzzing about what games will be shown at the event. According to one official event document, the long-anticipated Half-Life 3 will be among them. The next installment in Valve's beloved series appeared on a product list available on the Gamescom website. Sadly, this appears to have been a case of wishful thinking, with organizers stating that the mention of Half-Life 3 was a mistake.

Also mistakenly listed as being shown off at Gamescom was Dragon Age 3. Though Gamescom admitted to Eurogamer that the list was wrong, they couldn't provide an explanation for how the incorrect games appeared. Doug Lombardi, Valve's VP of Marketing, stated last month that Valve would not be showing any games at Gamescom, though it will "have the Steam team there to meet with developers and publishers."

While it's possible that Half-Life 3 and Dragon Age 3 could be secretly in development, it's unlikely that either rumored game will be making an event appearance in the near future. Stay tuned for Tokyo Game Show later this year, where developers will surely be showing off Kingdom Hearts 3, Diablo IV, and Mirror's Edge 2.

Source: Joystiq

"Whoops. Did we get all of your attention? My bad. We totally didn't mean to get everyone excited and spread hype for our event."

Lies!

Yeah, color me suspicious too. Those are two big titles that they had to know would attract excitement, and neither is supposedly on the near horizon, so those aren't easy mistakes to make.

Gonna have to put on my tinfoil hat and call conspiracy here. They wanted attention for their con, so they added some big titles that they knew weren't even close to being released onto the list to grab the headlines, then retracted them claiming an "accident". And it clearly worked. They got everyone's attention.

This kind of thing seems to happen an awful lot, where an unannounced property is 'accidentally' mentioned by a third party. I would not be surprised if CriticKitten was at least partially right, even though conspiracy theories are bad and all.

I believe nothing until it is in my hands. I meant that only for Half-Life 3. Dragon Age 3 is inevitable.

IT'S ALL PART OF THE ARG! GABE IS TROLLING US!

WAKE UP SHEEPLE! IT'S ALREADY OUT AND WE'RE BLIND TO IT!

In all saneness, with the pretty major hints of a Source Engine 2 in Source Filmmaker, I would not be surprised if Valve felt like announcing things at Gamescom but pulled out at the last minute to work on polishing it, and Bioware pulled Dragon Age 3 out because they had to work on more Mass Effect stuff, since the extended cut took so much of their time.

Calumon: So... it's people's own faults they aren't getting their games?

Dragon Age 3 is being made, it was never a secret. Also, everyone seems to want HL3 but what happened to HL2: Ep 3? Did everybody forget about it?

Hah. The trolling continues. Well played Gamescom. Well played.

Were they REALLY so afraid we'd forgotten?

Sarah LeBoeuf:
Stay tuned for Tokyo Game Show later this year, where developers will surely be showing off Kingdom Hearts 3, Diablo IV, and Mirror's Edge 2.

WOOOOO-HOO-aarrgglhhggrraaxx. Don't DO that to me! XD

Stealthygamer:
Dragon Age 3 is being made, it was never a secret. Also, everyone seems to want HL3 but what happened to HL2: Ep 3? Did everybody forget about it?

Valve already said that there won't be an "Episode 3" (which basicly means, they extend it a bit and then rename it to HL3. Or rather "give it the name it was supposed to have since Episode 1 was released" as the Episodes were originally considered the to be "HL3")

VALVE wouldn't announce HL3 at Gamescom. There are much higher profile events, such as E3, PAX, and TGS that would sooner grab their attention.

Although knowing VALVE, they'll probably announce it with an ARG out of the blue. Perhaps a bugfix update for all the Source Engine games that also includes a new wav file to get us started or something. Either way, not Gamescom.

P.S. Thanks

Accidentally? Yeah, sure. They're just being assholes and doing it for the hype.

Yep, HL3 will never be made.....ever. They already canned ep3 years ago. Im not that bothered as the ending of HL2 was bullshit. But the rest up to then was good.

SonOfVoorhees:
Yep, HL3 will never be made.....ever. They already canned ep3 years ago. Im not that bothered as the ending of HL2 was bullshit. But the rest up to then was good.

BLASPHEMER.

On a more serious note:
I think this is yet more of Valve continually winding us up. I hate loving them.

You forgot Shenmue 3...

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

I am not happy right now.

Oh those bastards.
Those clever, cruel bastards.

GameMaNiAC:
Accidentally? Yeah, sure. They're just being assholes and doing it for the hype.

MY LIFE FOR NERZHUL

What a surprise. *cough*

Are they actually going straight onto HL3? Last time I checked Episode 2 didn't exactly wrap things up.

Also, how can a logo as distinctive as that "accidently" appear on their website. Either it actually is being announced and someone stuffed up so they are doing damage recovery(or they did it on purpose to create hype), or someone is just trolling.

Interesting:

Lambda Generation

UPDATE: I have made a second call to Gamescom. I was explicitly informed that Valve were the ones who askedthat HL3 be placed on the list; but that apparently, "just a few minutes ago", Valve requested that HL3 be removed from that list.

Boudica:
"Whoops. Did we get all of your attention? My bad. We totally didn't mean to get everyone excited and spread hype for our event."

Lies!

Exactly. There is precisely 0% chance that it was an accident.

One of two things happened:
1) The organizers themselves planned it to generate easy publicity
2) Someone in the chain of typing up/posting the list sneaked it in "for teh lulz" (I know I would've!)

Sarah LeBoeuf:

While it's possible that Half-Life 3 and Dragon Age 3 could be secretly in development, it's unlikely that either rumored game will be making an event appearance in the near future.

Err, what? There's nothing secret about Dragon Age 3's development. They did a whole panel on it at PAX East.

So the real title of this article should be "Convention organizers made a mistake".
Remind me "Why should I care?" or "Why is this 'News'?"

Boudica:

Lies!

Basically this. What a dirty trick.

I can see a little bit of trolling from Valve on this but, this shit is getting really old really fast. Seriously it seems every couple of months another HL3 is coming that pops up then Gabe or someone else comes out and says oops we screwed up still no HL3. It's just another example of the boy who cried wolf. Before long it will fail to excite us and if and when HL3 is released many of us will fail to give a shit. We will still buy it of course but won't be excited about it like we would if they hadn't kept teasing us for YEARS about the damn thing.

The know what they did.

They should feel shame, lots of shame.

I won't believe anything until I see it come out of Gaben's mouth.

The person who put that on the list should get a medal for the best prank of 2012.

"Though Gamescom admitted to Eurogamer that the list was wrong, they couldn't provide an explanation for how the incorrect games appeared."

I know why: it was a deliberate message to Valve, which I wholeheartedly condone.

Valve: make Half Life 3, and make it now.

Hey, Kingdom Hearts 3 might actually come out...in my lifetime. Telling fans it'll come out after Versus XIII is like telling them to find Narnia first

Whoever put DA3 and HL3 on the list is the most awful kind of troll. The troll you want to believe.

Strictly speaking, we'll most likely see KH3 before we see a single one of thoes other games. Except perhaps DA3, but I haven't kept close tabs on the developement of that game, as I still have yet to give enough shits to finish 2(if I ever will). But the reason why we would see KH3 before the others, is that basically Dream Drop was just letting everyone know the next one was KH3, and its only delay is FF versus XIII which has been in the wash for, what, 5 years now? Anyway, as long as Square doesn't start making hats as dlc, I think we're closer to seeing the next Kingdom Hearts before the other games. Besides, Valve still has a good 500 hats quota to meet before they can make another 10 minutes of content in HL3.

Boudica:

Lies!

Gamescom is massive as it is, they don't need to do stuff like this to get attention.

If it was put there on purpose (which it probably was) it was a joke.

Okay who left the gate open and let the trolls out??

I love people who say Valve will never make HL3. Yeah, dudes. They just hung up their most successful, beloved franchise (yes, bigger than L4D and Portal) on a whim after a cliffhanger ending.

That makes perfect sense!

It'll come out when it's done. The fact that they've spent so much time on it just shows that they're committed to making as a big a splash as they did with HL and HL2.

Ickorus:
The person who put that on the list should get a medal for the best prank of 2012.

Unrelated: I despise you avatar, it's the second time this week i mistook it for a real bug.

Related: VAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALVE

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here