Diablo III Starter Edition Now Available

Diablo III Starter Edition Now Available

New to Diablo? Now you can try before you buy.

The "Starter Edition" of Diablo 3 - a fancy title for what is essentially a long demo - is now available on Battle.net.

The trial allows players to play any class up to level 13, and lets them fight their way to the game's first major boss, the Skeleton King.

There's a few caveats however. Players who haven't ponied up for a full copy of the game can't access the auction house, and they can only play with other Starter Edition players.

All the progress, achievements and loot you earn in the trial are carried over, should you decide to pick up a full copy of the game. It's worth noting, however, that players who opt to buy a digital copy of the game may have to wait up to 72 hours for their account to be verified.

Diablo III has had somewhat of a mixed reception. The game is an enormous commercial success; it received a record-setting number of preorders, and once launched, it quickly became the fastest-selling PC game to date. Said launch didn't go entirely smoothly, however. The game's always-online requirements invoked consumer ire, particularly when server hiccups and high demand prevented many users from logging in during the first few days following the launch. Now criticism is being leveled at the title's endgame content, which even Blizzard admits is somewhat lacking. That didn't stop it from squeezing a respectable 4/5 from our own Justin Clouse.

On the bright side, now you can try the game before you drop the best part of $60 on it.

I'd try this if I hadn't already levelled all the different characters to 13 in the beta :/

So... they just renamed what was in the beta?
How long did that board meeting take, I wonder?

King of Asgaard:

It's not about "how", it's about "when". WoW and Starcraft 2 have a starter edition, Diablo wasn't going to be an only exception. I guess they were wondering when exactly to drop it.

Still not interested. That game is an abomination.

So who's gonna get Torchlight 2 when it comes out?

I honestly hope it outsells Diablo 3, just to shove it in Blizzard's faces that they fucked up.

snowfi6916:

I honestly hope it outsells Diablo 3, just to shove it in Blizzard's faces that they fucked up.

When it comes out? You mean you didn't preorder it several months ago?

I mean honestly, don't you realize that RPGs are srs business?

Full disclosure: I totally did preorder it a little before D3 released, but really only because I wanted to play a Diablo-type game and I wouldn't have paid $60 for D3 even if it was 1.5x as good as Diablo 2.

A pity that you can only play with other SE folks, I kinda hoped that this "feature" would remain exclusive to the guest passes. But I guess you can just create a new battle.net account to play with indecisive friends. Still an inconvenience, albeit a small one.

snowfi6916:

You can't seriously expect that.

King of Asgaard:

Nope, in the beta there were no zombies before the gates of New Tristram in the starter edition there are three!!! Totally different game.

snowfi6916:

I am! Love me some Torchlight.

Scyla:

King of Asgaard:

Nope, in the beta there were no zombies before the gates of New Tristram in the starter edition there are three!!! Totally different game.

Oh shit, you burned that guy.

Karoshi:

King of Asgaard:

It's not about "how", it's about "when". WoW and Starcraft 2 have a starter edition, Diablo wasn't going to be an only exception. I guess they were wondering when exactly to drop it.

But did either of those two just use their beta game as the starter edition?
This smacks of laziness, is the point I'm trying to make here.
They could at least level cap at 15, and extend the trial period to the second major quest, instead of leaving it EXACTLY as it was in their beta version.

Scyla:

King of Asgaard:

MY WORD... You're... you're right!
I have shamed my family!!

snowfi6916:
WAAAAAAAH WAAAAAAAAAAH WAAAAAAAAAH WAAAAAAAAAH WAAAAAAAAAAH
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

I am sorry, but this is how I read all those whiny posts.

OT: Well, okay. Already knew this was going to happen. Surprised it didn't happen sooner.

So I guess you could call it a bare bones experience.

That's generosity right there. Not that I think it matters, the game itself is bordering on absolute shit.

Still online only? Sorry not interested, unlike like some fanboys.

Capitano Segnaposto:
snip

-cough-

That exact offer launched right when the game did, this is nothing new at all. Why is it being reported NOW?

deth2munkies:
That exact offer launched right when the game did, this is nothing new at all. Why is it being reported NOW?

Didn't you have to have some sort of pass or something like that? I didn't think this was generally available before, but I may well be wrong.

Odd that they lock demo players out of their auction house - I had the idea that the AH was sort of the whole reason for the game from their point of view.

Jhooud:

deth2munkies:

Didn't you have to have some sort of pass or something like that? I didn't think this was generally available before, but I may well be wrong.

Odd that they lock demo players out of their auction house - I had the idea that the AH was sort of the whole reason for the game from their point of view.

Bots will be kept out of the AH, and I'm pretty sure you got an online pass with the game that you could give to other people, but the same offer was already available on Blizzard's website. I know this specifically because I was at a LAN party the day after it came out, and I was the one guy who didn't have a spare $60 or the willingness to buy a game at that price that I knew I wouldn't enjoy, so I had to look at my options.

Hello casspurry! please go away!

OT: I might try it since I have not played any of the Diablo 3 sessions.

deth2munkies:

Jhooud:

deth2munkies:

Bots will be kept out of the AH, and I'm pretty sure you got an online pass with the game that you could give to other people, but the same offer was already available on Blizzard's website. I know this specifically because I was at a LAN party the day after it came out, and I was the one guy who didn't have a spare $60 or the willingness to buy a game at that price that I knew I wouldn't enjoy, so I had to look at my options.

I suppose you're right on the bots. Didn't know the online pass offer was on the website, now I know! As the old news bit, maybe Blizzard's trying to get some momentum back by sending out (re-sending?) some press releases? Haven't they seen some pretty massive declines in users?

Jhooud:

I suppose you're right on the bots. Didn't know the online pass offer was on the website, now I know! As the old news bit, maybe Blizzard's trying to get some momentum back by sending out (re-sending?) some press releases? Haven't they seen some pretty massive declines in users?

The only "official" numbers came from Xfire, which is about as reliable as a blind sharpshooter (not played by Johnny Depp).

However, I'm inclined to believe D3 has seen massive drops in its userbase, based on the fact that they had to quietly apologize for how little there is to do in the game less than 3 months following release.

If nothing else, the fact that almost everyone I know who was playing D3 (upwards of a dozen people, friends family and coworkers) has since become bored/frustrated with the game and quit suggests that it might be a bit on the shitty side.

Certainly not as addictive as Diablo 2 was in any case.

I'm just waiting for Torchlight 2; see if that's worth a damn.

Scyla:

King of Asgaard:

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here