Farming Simulator 2013 Wins Gamescom

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Harvest the Moon: Back to Nature is the only farming game for me.

So is this what farmers do in between real farming, sleeping and hanging out with other farmers (Cause I know they do that). I kid of course.

Awesome. This will definitely scratch my agricultural itch until a new Harvest Moon comes out. Thank god its coming to consoles.

Is a new Harvest Moon coming out?

Article had my smiling like a doofus the whole way through but honestly no need to make fun of the game. Some people really enjoy stuff like this. Hell I have a friend who's logged in 4 days worth of time into Train Simulator already.

Well I can't talk. I own nearly every Harvest Moon game, I'm only missing two of them. But Harvest Moon is different! You get to stalk people all day everyday! You can't stalk villagers on Farming Simulator!

You really can't make fun of the game's intended audience if you ever spoke up against bullying.

It's a niche title, niches exist to be filled. I do feel sort of bad for the kids who'll be getting this one for Christmas though... Enjoy, Billy! Though I suppose they can make youtube vids of breaking the physics in the game horribly, I remember seeing some before and I actually had a good chuckle at 'em.

Man the hype-o-meter is off the charts.

I feel like I don't have to point out that this is THE HYPEST SHIT!

alrekr:
This is all

Thats why farming is epic

+1

I came to post that. Because as we all know, that man is a GOD.

Poe's Law is in full effect right now.

I really don't know what to make of this.

All the work of running a farm, none of the money!

Gotta love the existance of niche titles. Kudos to those who make them. The worst part is that my curiosity is almost killing me. Must... not... buy... farm-sims, train-sims, Postman Pat sims, pool cleaner sims, or drug addict sims.

I'm off to play my 10th century feudal lord sim.

Imma get dat farmin swag, gettin all da bitches wit mah mad farming skillz. 1337 hax lolz

*shrug*. Can't be any worse than the Zynga games my mom plays, and I don't give her a hard time about it (ok, maybe a little). Some people enjoy these sim.... uh... games.

Also, I think the article filled the Escapists quota for snark for the week

KeyMaster45:
Wow. Way to arrogantly dump on a developer, Andy. I mean seriously wtf? You may not take them seriously but they have just as much right to be at Gamescom as any other dev. If this were say maybe an article on Cracked or some other humor site I'd have found it funny, but an insulting bit like this has no business on a news site.

I'm just stunned. I never thought I'd find myself saying this but I've really lost a large amount of respect for this site because of this.

I would normally ask why this of all things made you lose respect for the site, but I honestly kind of agree. Not for the entire site, but definitely Andy.

Andy Chalk:
snip

Really? This is what qualifies as news? This is disrespectful as best, and downright internet bullying at worst. It's a niche market, it doesn't appeal to you, no reason to go hostile on it.

The sarcasm in this thread is actually kinda pissing me off. Now, I admit that a Farming Sim game isn't my cup of tea, but I fail to see how people being interested in this particular niche game is raising eyebrows, yet nobody thinks twice about Sim City, Roller Coaster Tycoon, various other building/managing sims, games like Minecraft or even most RPG's.

They all have one fundamental purpose - you create something (a city, a farm, a stronghold, a character) and you work to make it grow.

Farm Simulator is the same damned thing.

Of course people tend to attach the "redneck hillbilly" stigma to farmers, which is incredibly unfair given the fact that we NEED farms.

Wow, did I really just rant in a thread about a Farm Simulator? I'm having a bad day.

Sassafrass:
This was in the related video section for me.

This means I must pre-order the most expensive version of this awesome game while playing this song twenty four seven. :D

You also might want to load up on Gundam-themed helmets...

I salute you, Internet.

I.. I find this really distasteful. The people who developed this game are just as much of a games developer as any other company, but it's okay to completely bash them because they develop a series of game that doesn't appeal to you? I won't claim to be a player of farm simulators, but I can see the appeal in them and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth when people talk down to it simply because of it's subject matter rather then the actual quality of the game itself.

Picking on the slow kid in the class. Real professional there guy.

Hey love it or hate it (or give a resounding meh to it) you can tell from the trailer it has some serious production quality put into it.

Not quite my thing but im sure its fun as hell for those who are into it. the Co Op does seem kinda nifty though...

Scotty, status report.

The sarcasmium levels in this article are reaching dangerous readings, Captain! She canny take much more!

There's market for that??? To each their own i guess.

... Well, at least this is better than the Train Simulator 2012.

Farming Simulator 2013 is to FarmVille as Call of Duty is to Arma II

I think that about sums it up, amirite?

In all seriousness, slow news day eh?

Just want to chime in here really quick. Those of you claiming "vitriol" or that Andy thinks of the designers as "inferior developers," etc. may have missed the intended joke. You've probably never heard of this game, and neither have most people. Games like this, which, I'm sure are great, never receive the hype of their more popular contemporaries. I understand if you didn't find the tone funny, but please don't put words in anyone's mouth. In the news room, all of us talk about how amazing it is that these games are out there (waaay more often than you think, or is probably normal) and how much we'd like to try them out. Yes, they're often weirdly banal-sounding, but that's what makes them intriguing and, in some cases, worth chuckling about.

The fact of the matter is that we, and most other sites, just don't get to write about stuff like this very often because the audience for it is traditionally low. So, when we do, we like to try and present it as entertainingly as possible (which, not everyone will dig every time) just to have a means to get it out there. So, please, be a tad more liberal with offering others the benefit of the doubt, and try not to take things too seriously. If you honestly think we would ever spew random hatred at a game for not conforming to the norm, then you really just don't know us all that well. I guess what I'm saying is, feel free to find us unfunny, but please don't confuse that with us somehow doling arbitrary condemnation. Thanks, everyone. :)

Some people will just never understand the joy of addiction to heavy machinery. It really is a shame.

Jorec:
Awesome. This will definitely scratch my agricultural itch until a new Harvest Moon comes out. Thank god its coming to consoles.

I think one's coming out for the 3DS soon. Not sure though.

OT: You're damn right Farming Simulator wins! 2012 was out for the 3DS... and it currently is the best game in my collection.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT! TRACTORS!

This...this is going to be legendary.

Also, does anyone else think the dude in the picture next to the story on the news page looks like Ellis from Left 4 dead 2?

"Did I ever tell you 'bout the time me and my buddy keith starred in a farming simulator?"

And insulting? I don't think so. I'm pretty sure the devs of this game are aware they're catering to a pretty niche audience. It's certainly no call to insult the writer.

I think I'll stick with Harvest Moon for now. I love my Harvest Moon (probably a bit too much). I think I prefer the personal element of it. Watering and harvesting the crops and taking care of the animals myself, along with getting to know the people down in the local village, that's what makes it fun for me.

But apparently some people like this game, so it's awesome for them that they get a new version of the game they love.

You know what, I'm calling it now. Game Of The Year. If it doesn't win it, it will be a travesty.

Seriously though, these guys have found their niche and are catering to them well, so good on them.

alrekr:
This is all

Just to let you know, although it may be due to the fact that's it's half 2 in the morning and I'm tired, that video had me in tears of laughter. Thank you.

Mr Chalk, I have something for you

Now if you excuse me, I'm going to go back to remaking an obscure engine in Automation for kicks...

This makes me feel better for playing the Sims 3....only slightly.

For some reason, 2 of my friends and me have farm simulator 2012, gets a bit repetetive because all of the different actions consist of pasting a different texture on the floor with a different tool (not oversimplifing) but then we discoverd mods :) nothing as fun as fudging up some ones farming fun by driving into his tractor with a lamborgini gallardo :D (no thats not also a tractor ;)
last time i checked there was a mod for airplanes.

Edit: on a serious note, i do think that it stands miles above games like streetcleaning simulator and it's ilk.

Andy Shandy:
You know what, I'm calling it now. Game Of The Year. If it doesn't win it, it will be a travesty.

Seriously though, these guys have found their niche and are catering to them well, so good on them.

alrekr:
This is all

Just to let you know, although it may be due to the fact that's it's half 2 in the morning and I'm tired, that video had me in tears of laughter. Thank you.

Dahm you, you cost me an hour because i went on a youtube rampage of l33t pawnzors sim movies XD
but thank you, i had fun ;)

IndomitableSam:
500,000 copies in two countries alone is pretty damn nice.

Too bad all I have to do to play that game is look out a window here in Manitoba, Canada. Does the game come with smell-o-vision for those few weeks this time of year when they harvest then spread manure over the fields? Because it's spectacular, let me tell you. Even better than stubble-burning season when it's so smoky it's like horror movie fog!

Yay farming.

(Says the girl who loves Harvest Moon...)

stubble burning must be one of those examples of how environmental regulations are stricter in the US. I've never heard of it, and neither wikipedia or google has any mention of it in the US, except in Indiana where a couple of farmers were arrested for doing it.

huh.

OT: Is it bad I once was tempted to buy this game?

Jorec:

go to IGN and look it up. I don't think it has a title though. BUT, there is one coming out for the 3DS that's supposed to be the most customizable and best Harvest Moon to date.

yes I am thinking about buying a 3DS just for that game.

Though I'm hoping they release an epic one for the Wii U.

The boredom! The boredom I say!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or