Helpful Old Lady Ruins 200-Year-Old Portrait

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Helpful Old Lady Ruins 200-Year-Old Portrait

Jesus Christ has never looked so ... hairy.

An octogenarian woman living in Borja, Spain, was appalled to discover that a 200-year-old fresco of Jesus Christ taken from a 16th century hospice had fallen into disrepair. Being the helpful sort, she took it upon herself to "restore" the painting, despite having little, or indeed no, experience in art restoration.

The results speak for itself. What was once a dignified portrait of the Lamb of God, now more closely resembles a crayon sketch of a mildly obese howler monkey in a dress. Of course, judging the image in its current state is somewhat unfair, as it isn't anywhere near finished. At some point, it became apparent to the amateur painter that she was way out of her league, and she contacted the local cultural heritage institution to inform them of the changes she'd made.

The painting, by 19th-century artist, Elias Garcia Martinez, was worth little, even before its impromptu restoration, but it apparently held a great deal of sentimental value for locals. It was donated to the Centro de Estudios Borjanos by Martinez's granddaughter only a few weeks previously.

While western culture isn't exactly hurting for paintings of Jesus performing his trademark head tilt, it's always tragic when art is lost, be it to war, theft, decay or, in this case, excess helpfulness.

Source: Centro de Estudios Borjanos via Reddit

(Grid Image)

So she turned Jesus Christ into...a Goron!??!?!

OH wow, lol... That's quite the abomination she's created there. :P

Is anyone else getting flashbacks from the first mr.bean movie?

Hunter65416:

Everyone is having those flashbacks.

A for effort.

To say that she is in need of glasses, is an understatement.

At this point, it's glasses and anti-dementia drugs, or something, good lord.

Hunter65416:

It's a poster.

Honestly I'm always amazed at the length people go before they realize they should've quit while they were ahead.
That said, I can only chuckle when imagining her initial reaction being something along the lines of:

Eh it could pass for modern art in that state :P

well i laughed but im sure Jesus would like it.

Mistakes were made, but yeah, A for effort.

Jesus actually looks slightly more like an Arab in the 'restored' image.

Ldude893:

show me one Arab that looks like that.

Look, I'm not religious, but I do appreciate art.

Art decays over time. It's unfortunate and sad, but true.

She... Did a terrible job. And it's sad to see a fairly decent painting turned into a 9 year old's art class project.

I like it. Dark colors and simple lines and shapes make for an interesting interpretation of the man.

I'd still rather see the old work restored, but she did a pretty good job.

Composer:

Ldude893:

I stress the word 'slightly'.

Ldude893:

Composer:

Ldude893:

I stress the word 'slightly'.

A word can take only so much stress.

Okay. I was having a very bad week up until this point, but this is bloody hilarious.

Smooth move, lady, smooth move.

I had to post this even though it was already mentioned

This wins a lot of points for being the funniest restoration ever. Nicely done.

Blargh McBlargh:
OH wow, lol... That's quite the abomination she's created there. :P

unholy even! I died laughing. This thread is thread of the month.

==

tehweave:
Look, I'm not religious, but I do appreciate art.

Art decays over time. It's unfortunate and sad, but true.

She... Did a terrible job. And it's sad to see a fairly decent painting turned into a 9 year old's art class project.

All new paintings looks like a 9 years old art class project nowadays, so did she not just modernize the painting?

A+

Lol, it reminded me of this.

I'm not a religious man but I think a little bit of my soul just curled up and died

What if this is what Jesus looked like all along?

Jumping in first try and painting over the original copy, good plan.

I'm pretty sure Mr. Bean did this once.

I'm not a religious man... but I totally would be if I could worship whatever it is she created. It's kinda cute.

I'm conflicted.

On the other hand, I hate it when old art is vandalised or destroyed in any way.

On the other hand, it looks hilarious.

Seriously, that is hilarious! I just woke up and nothing is better than a good laugh to start the day.
What was that woman thinking?! :D

Oh my gosh... This is why you put in red velvet rope people! To keep old ladies and thieves away!

Man, that's too bad for the locals, maybe whatever was used on it can be removed and the painting restored. Otherwise... man that's worse then it getting stolen, at least then it still exists somewhere.

Without fixing up the colours or changing the skin colour to the proper one I dashed this out in 10min using my cheater tech. image
I'm not trying to make a point it's just 4 A.M. and I was bored.

Grey Carter:
What was once a dignified portrait of the Lamb of God, now more closely resembles a crayon sketch of a mildly obese howler monkey in a dress.

That bit was freakin' classic.

Rednog:
Honestly I'm always amazed at the length people go before they realize they should've quit while they were ahead.
That said, I can only chuckle when imagining her initial reaction being something along the lines of:

Sadly, I suspect you're quite right. Yes, quite right.

Still, it's the thought that counts, right?

Right?

It certainly looks...different.

Too bad she had no experience in art restoration, could have restored it to something better...now it looks like a mutated gorilla man.

I think it looks pretty good acturally
[puts on snobby beret] it's a commentary on the concept of abstract religion, being only what we personally see, the fact that he's missing half of his face represents that we must each fill in our own interpretation of the true face of religion[/beret]

huh? it's NOT modern art?
so I didn't need to make up a bullshit reason for it?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here