Black Ops 2 Drops Windows XP

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Black Ops 2 Drops Windows XP

Treyarch has revealed the minimum system requirements for the PC version of Black Ops 2, and Windows XP didn't make the cut.

Are you actually still running Windows XP? It was a great operating system, certainly far superior to its successor, Windows Vista, but come on. It's been almost 11 years since it hit the market, and more than four years since the last service pack was released. And Windows 7, while it packs a grotesque price tag, actually works really well. Trust me, it's solid, and as good as XP was, it's time to let it go.

And if you want to play the upcoming Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 on your PC - and why would you want to play it on anything else? - then you're going to have to. "Since we upgraded the engine to use DirectX 11, Windows XP is no longer supported," Treyarch said in a blog post about the requirements and enhancements in the PC version of the game. "It requires Windows Vista or later."

Aside from the "Vista or later" requirement - which, for the record, means "not Vista" - you'll also need the following if you want to make this piggy squeal:

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E8200 2.66 GHz or AMD Phenom X3 8750 2.4 GHz
  • Memory: 2GB for 32-bit OS or 4GB for 64-bit OS
  • Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 8800GT 512 MB or ATI Radeon HD 3870 512 MB

They're not super-steep requirements, but bear in mind that this is a minimum spec, so you can't expect anything more than a borderline experience if you play the game with this kind of iron. (And seriously, if you're still rocking two gig of RAM, skip the game and buy yourself an upgrade instead.) Hotter hardware naturally means a better-looking game, and the PC version of Black Ops 2 will serve up enhanced lighting, shadows, antialiasing, bloom, depth of field, ambient occlusion "and other enhanced effects that are still in the works," and of course will be capable of rocking the casbah at higher resolutions and framerates than the console releases.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 comes out on November 13 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii U and PC.

Source: Call of Duty Blog

Oh no!! The eleven year old OS is no longer supported?! Whatever shall we do???!!!

Mr.Tea:
Oh no!! The eleven year old OS is no longer supported?! Whatever shall we do???!!!

Don't get too comfy with that snark. This'll lead to a lot of tears from a lot of people who aren't fond of upgrading. Of course, said tears will be delicious and nourishing. If there's enough of them, I'll pour some in the liquid cooling system of my massively sexy big black space odyssey monolith of doom.

Props to the article author for holding up PC as the supreme FPS platform, though. That was unexpected, really. It seems most of the Escapist has migrated over to consoles even for those games. Maybe it's just the userbase giving me aneurysms.

Well, the logic is understandable, given the DX division. I think everyone knew the day would come when from gaming aspects the OS would cease to be supported. So its not really surprising.

However, simple fact is even if it IS an 11 year old OS, portraying people as luddites(even if done so out of an attempt at a humorous context) for not making the switch from what is still the most popular and widely used version of a microsoft OS is fairly brash and uncalled for. The OS still has life in it, and if people do not wish to upgrade at this time, (till say 7 comes off that grotesquely overpriced barrier) they should not be made to feel guilty, when it is perfectly logical to skip this PC release in favor of console, and continue using XP to play other new and incoming games.

Aside from Windows 98, Windows XP remains the greatest MS operating system imo. There's absolutely no reason to upgrade! Yeah Windows 7 works, but it's just not the same...

So COD has reached that magical level of "so many sequels no one cares" that it's one reportable feature is the graphical quality, huh? Brilliant.

Deviate:

Mr.Tea:

Don't get too comfy with that snark. This'll lead to a lot of tears from a lot of people who aren't fond of upgrading. Of course, said tears will be delicious and nourishing. If there's enough of them, I'll pour some in the liquid cooling system of my massively sexy big black space odyssey monolith of doom.

Props to the article author for holding up PC as the supreme FPS platform, though. That was unexpected, really. It seems most of the Escapist has migrated over to consoles even for those games. Maybe it's just the userbase giving me aneurysms.

When I was on the steam forums a year ago, there were tears from people who were upset that TF2 wasn't getting enough DirectX 8 support. As in, a few graphical effects weren't available and they were throwing a fit over that.

Yes, you read it right. They were throwing a fit that Valve's Dx8 support in 2011 wasn't good enough.

DX8 came out in 2000...

Proverbial Jon:
Aside from Windows 98, Windows XP remains the greatest MS operating system imo. There's absolutely no reason to upgrade! Yeah Windows 7 works, but it's just not the same...

Yes, Windows 7 isn't the same... because it's actually good.

XP was good relative to vista, it's day is done, loooong ago.

So why not buy Bastion instead of bang bang shooty: 12?

Nice to see everyone has put what happened last time Treyarch ported a CoD game to PC behind them. I mean after 2 years a development studio thats completely devoid of both freedom and creative thought must have come up with a solution, right?

Evil Smurf:
So why not buy Bastion instead of bang bang shooty: 12?

Because for some inexplicable reason people prefer bang bang shooty: 12 to having your ears cleaned out by the richness of the narrator's voice in Bastion.

I dunno, even Vista was a warm hug from Jesus compared to the festering tumor that was Windows ME.

But yeah, Microsoft isn't going to be supporting XP much longer either. Time marches on....

I've been running Vista on my computer for 4 years, and I honestly don't understand what everyone is so damn smug about.

I meet all the system requirements except I have windows XP :(
Is it possible someone could mod it to work on XP?

Xan Krieger:
I meet all the system requirements except I have windows XP :(
Is it possible someone could mod it to work on XP?

There'll be a Directx9 call interceptor, or a mod, or an .ini tweak or something. That's the magic of the PC. It's users will always add something or fix something else if the out of box experience isn't adequate.

viranimus:
Well, the logic is understandable, given the DX division. I think everyone knew the day would come when from gaming aspects the OS would cease to be supported. So its not really surprising.

However, simple fact is even if it IS an 11 year old OS, portraying people as luddites(even if done so out of an attempt at a humorous context) for not making the switch from what is still the most popular and widely used version of a microsoft OS is fairly brash and uncalled for. The OS still has life in it, and if people do not wish to upgrade at this time, (till say 7 comes off that grotesquely overpriced barrier) they should not be made to feel guilty, when it is perfectly logical to skip this PC release in favor of console, and continue using XP to play other new and incoming games.

It's interesting that you'd bring up consoles... Would you expect an 11 year old console to be supported with new (and AAA) games?

There's nothing wrong with keeping an old console to play old games, or with keeping WinXP if you like it so much, but expecting new releases to support it? That's ludicrous.

Also, the "no reason to upgrade" thing baffles me. New releases and new technology are the reason! If no developer makes games that are incompatible with XP and no one switches from XP because everything is forever compatible with it, then neither software nor hardware grows, advances or evolves. Moore's Law is rendered useless and invalid and technology comes to a screeching halt. And for what? Because Windows XP is "good enough"? Well it's not.

Any OS that works is "good enough", should we just stop?

Windows XP was an aberration of Microsoft's OS development schedule and now that people have been using it for so long, they fight tooth and nail against upgrading it. It's time that changed and I sincerely hope more and more software drops support for XP until we finally reach its end-of-life in 2014.

And what if I have both XP Pro AND Win 7?

Eh, even if I didn't have 7, I'd upgrade to it for a better reason than to play a modern Call of Duty instalment.

Was someone really expecting to play it on XP?

Fr]anc[is:
I've been running Vista on my computer for 4 years, and I honestly don't understand what everyone is so damn smug about.

I used Vista for a while and I thought that too until I started using 7. Vista is not bad if you have a good enough computer, but Win7 is better.

Andy Chalk:
And if you want to play the upcoming Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 on your PC - and why would you want to play it on anything else?

Well that depends if they bother to put in an FOV slider this time so people don't feel nauseous when they play.

OT: Not really surprising, you can't expect it to be supported forever. I bet some people would be complaining if it didn't use DX11. People need to move on.

Fr]anc[is:

It's about as unstable as a cat in the Pacific Ocean, from my experiences. I could keep going, but it oddly played my games well...

OT- No thanks, Treyarch, I'll be playing Dishonored and enjoying graphics other than dirt brown and gunmetal gray. Farewell XP, you have been a loyal servant for us "serious" PC users. Even though I preferred 2000 Professional.

The Specs have increased, but I doubt the inovation has.

Fr]anc[is:

The fact that your the only one who's still running Vista? ;P

No mention of Vsync? That's one of the most important things in my opinion.

Oh who am I kidding, I don't play FPS games on my PC besides VAC supported games. I can't stand aim bots and all that shit.

Brilliant news! XP really needs to be let go. Its an awful OS in comparison to 7. Memory management is terrible for modern systems, security is terrible, it's slow and I can't live without window snap.

I am surprised that a COD title is doing this so soon however. I guess it is in preparation for the next console generation.

Mr.Tea:

It's interesting that you'd bring up consoles... Would you expect an 11 year old console to be supported with new games?

A little OT but the PS2 continued to receive new games up until fairly recently (including AAA titles if the EA Sports titles count).

It is a damn shame 7 was so expensive especially as 8 will be so cheap. I say go to 7 64-bit now or prepare for either Metro or no AAA AA or even A game support once the next console generation launches.

Xp served me well but it doesn't hold a candle to 7.

Matt K:

Mr.Tea:

It's interesting that you'd bring up consoles... Would you expect an 11 year old console to be supported with new games?

A little OT but the PS2 continued to receive new games up until fairly recently (including AAA titles if the EA Sports titles count).

Of course, but you'd never have seen someone complaining that they couldn't play Skyrim or whatever on their PS2.

But you just made me realize something... The PS2 was to consoles what XP was to PCs. A sort of perfect storm of affordable hardware, long-ish life cycle and great 1st and 3rd party developer support, not to mention the fact that most of the sickening "exclusivity" and DLC shenanigans were pretty much non-existent until this generation.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
About 14% of the steam userbase is using WinXP, probably even less if you only consider those with strong enough hardware to play the game.
If they want to migrate to DX11 only, it makes lots of sense to drop WinXP support.

So they're switching because? Because I don't think their engine is really that intensive.

BBboy20:
So they're switching because? Because I don't think their engine is really that intensive.

If they can drop DX9 that's less complex code to support.

Me, I'm fine on XP. I change OS when I change hardware, but when I bought my PC, Vista was the newest OS. So I decided to stick with XP for another platform. Given how 8 looks, by the time I get to 7 9 will probably be out. (Gods, what an ugly sentence.)

PC Gamers dropped support of these yearly CoD increments long before EA thought of dropping support of Windows XP.

Is the game still going to be sold for $10 extra "just because"?

Vista got a lot of flak because it had a piss-poor launch, but a service pack later and it actually became a very solid operating system, and this is coming from someone who jumped right from XP to 7.

For all of you prattling on about how XP was so much better than Vista, need I remind you what its launch was like. Compared to XP's launch, Vista looked as stable as a concrete anchor. Unfortunately, Vista had launched with XP having - in all honesty - a six-year head start to iron out all those horrible issues. XP SP2/3 may be super-solid nowadays, but that's due to just how long Microsoft has had to fix it up - XP itself is fast becoming archaic considering the damn thing is still little more than Win2000 with a blue taskbar compared to what the Aero systems introduced.

Win 7 may be expensive but Win 8 is coming out for $40 to upgrade from XP. Do that people.

A side note, while technically it's true that XP launched 11 years ago. The XP people are running today is not 11 years old. Latest Service Pack released 4 years ago, then that's how old the current version is. In my opinion, I can see it both ways but I see it as misleading just to say "it's 11 years old".

Fr]anc[is:

Me neither. I upgraded to 7, but only because it came with a solid state drive. Vista was stable and problem-free.

OT: This happened to Just Cause 2 as well, and people wept about it then as well. 'Twas fairly delicious.

Matt K:

Mr.Tea:

Just like there's still support for XP... just less. PS2 support mostly left in 2008 or 2009, XP's had a better run.

Proverbial Jon:

So COD has reached that magical level of "so many sequels no one cares" that it's one reportable feature is the graphical quality, huh? Brilliant.

Made me think of this:

Don't be afraid of W7! :D

Crono1973:
Win 7 may be expensive but Win 8 is coming out for $40 to upgrade from XP. Do that people.

A side note, while technically it's true that XP launched 11 years ago. The XP people are running today is not 11 years old. Latest Service Pack released 4 years ago, then that's how old the current version is. In my opinion, I can see it both ways but I see it as misleading just to say "it's 11 years old".

Actually upgrading to 7 is the better deal, otherwise you'll spend $40 to get windows 8 and then you'll end up upgrading to windows 7 anyway. I'd rather save the $40 and consider getting windows 7 in a few years. Still sticking to XP till then.

I still use XP, and see no reason why I should dish out $$$ on a new operating system.

*No desire for PC gaming

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or