Microsoft Drops a Deal on Borderlands 2

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Gamers who preorder Borderlands 2 from the Microsoft Store will get a $10 coupon and 1600 free Microsoft points.

So you've decided that you want to head back to Pandora for a second round of hot shoot-and-loot action, and the machine you want to take that ride on is the trusty Xbox 360. Having reached that point, you might want to direct your attention the Microsoft Store, where they've put together a pretty sweet deal for anyone who ponies up a preorder on Borderlands 2.

From now until the game launches on September 18, anyone who preorders the game from the Microsoft Store at the regular price of $59.99 will receive a coupon for $10 off your next purchase, as well as 1600 Xbox points, enough to buy two (I think) Borderlands 2 DLC releases when they come around. That's on top of access to the Borderlands 2 "Premiere Club," the standard preorder bonus package that includes the Gearbox Gun Pack, a key to a "Golden Sanctuary Loot Chest," the Vault Hunter's Relic and the Mechromancer character class that will only be available post-launch via paid DLC.

Some terms and conditions apply - limit one per customer, coupon cannot be used for the purchase of Borderlands 2, that sort of thing - but if you're going to buy it for the 360 anyway, this looks like an awfully good way to go about it. Get all the details at microsoftstore.com.

Sounds like a good deal, too bad I already preordered it at EB Games.

A bit late that :(

So get $30 back for buying it basically. Huh. And today I learned there's a Microsoft store, so that's nice. Now I just need to decide if I want to get it for 360 or PC.

There's a Microsoft store? I've played on Xbox/360 for over a decade, and I'm just now hearing of this.

Too bad I'm already getting the Ultimate Loot Chest edition, getting the game basically half off would have been nice.

I already pre ordered it, but sounds like a great deal relatively.

Looks like it's already out of stock.

The hell is the 'Microsoft Store'?

Too bad its out of stock already. Oh well. Still got mine pre-ordered at gamestop, can't wait for it to be out.

It appears to be out of stock, that is dis heartening

What I take away from this is that Gearbox was probably approached by M$ to do exclusive DLC, Kinect crap, etc. and got shot down because they are IMO philosophically against that kind of exclusionary marketing gimmick stuff.

So since they couldn't secure sales domination by tossing cash around that way, they decided to outright bribe the customers to get BLT on their platform as opposed to PS3 from what is apparently a brand new store or a well kept secret one.

Microsoft just doesn't know how to react to a game that is universally supported on multiple platforms. Unless they can throw money at something they didn't do their job apparently.

awww nice deal!

It sounds like they are afraid of the PC version looking too good compared to the 360 version. Better grab those customers while they can, because the Steam integration isn't going to make the LIVE version look good.

That and the fact that it eventually will be $10 on Steam. Though if you're waiting for that sale, you probably don't give a damn about buying it at new prices anyway.

Too bad I got my copy free with my 600 series Nvidia card.

GenGenners:
The hell is the 'Microsoft Store'?

Also this, I wasn't aware of any Microsoft store.

It's worth noting that Resident Evil 6, Metal of Honor Warfighter, Need for Speed Most Wanted Limited Edition, and likely some others have the same deal.

Ok seriously? I wait for a deal like this to come up, finally happens, I see this, go to microsoft store, and it's out of stock!?

If this news is any later than a day old, the I want to punch the OP's face for not finding this earlier! Damn you to hell! :(

It's sad that I don't have money nor the interest in buying it for Xbox... worst case scenario, I'll wait till it gets it's GOTY edition and a massive discount through Steam.

Captcha: Exercise More. I'm fat, I know... I hate you captcha! :(

Yeah, can't help but feel I'll hold out for a sale on Steam, but at the same time, if I did want it on release, I can't help but think $40 off wouldn't make me want to allow the GFWL virus back into my PC.

I'm actually surprised they haven't paid to have DLC first like they do with other games. They're actually giving something to the consumer which is a new twist for them in a good way.

If you already have Borderlands 1 on Steam, you can get a bundle with your friends that amounts to about $41 each.

Preordered it for $33 from Green Man Gaming a while back. So yeaaah.

Not even a fan of Borderlands but I would have gotten it for the points and coupon TBH...

KoudelkaMorgan:
What I take away from this is that Gearbox was probably approached by M$ to do exclusive DLC, Kinect crap, etc. and got shot down because they are IMO philosophically against that kind of exclusionary marketing gimmick stuff.

So since they couldn't secure sales domination by tossing cash around that way, they decided to outright bribe the customers to get BLT on their platform as opposed to PS3 from what is apparently a brand new store or a well kept secret one.

Microsoft just doesn't know how to react to a game that is universally supported on multiple platforms. Unless they can throw money at something they didn't do their job apparently.

Ahaha. So, when Microsoft do something that is probably good business sense but bad for consumers they are evil. When they do something that makes good business sense but is good for consumers... they're still evil?

Also, if you'd checked your facts you would know that Xbox already had timed exclusive DLC for Borderlands 1.

And what is so WRONG about bribing customers as you call it? Microsoft want you to buy it for Xbox, so they give you an incentive not to buy it for PC or PS3. Why is that even a bad thing? This can only be good for consumers.

And about the throwing money around, Sony do that just as much. They buy studios so that they will only make Playstation games, they do timed DLC too (Battlefield 3 is the most recent example). Hell they threw money around by selling the PS3 for far less than what it cost them to make originally. Does that make them evil? Pretty sure it doesn't, but maybe that's because it's Sony and not MS

Zzz...Already pre-ordered this elsewhere. Crap :(

razer17:

KoudelkaMorgan:

Ahaha. So, when Microsoft do something that is probably good business sense but bad for consumers they are evil. When they do something that makes good business sense but is good for consumers... they're still evil?

Also, if you'd checked your facts you would know that Xbox already had timed exclusive DLC for Borderlands 1.

And what is so WRONG about bribing customers as you call it? Microsoft want you to buy it for Xbox, so they give you an incentive not to buy it for PC or PS3. Why is that even a bad thing? This can only be good for consumers.

And about the throwing money around, Sony do that just as much. They buy studios so that they will only make Playstation games, they do timed DLC too (Battlefield 3 is the most recent example). Hell they threw money around by selling the PS3 for far less than what it cost them to make originally. Does that make them evil? Pretty sure it doesn't, but maybe that's because it's Sony and not MS

I never said that M$ is evil, you did, repeatedly. I had forgotten about the BL1 DLC. I think that now that they have an established IP they have a bit more freedom with regards to how they choose to do business. I'm not saying that they wouldn't take M$'s money again, but recent press conferences and interviews make me think that they would optimally like to be more inclusive. They seem to want to get their product into everyones hands as soon as they can possibly have it ready. These days, generally when you announce you have 4-5 DLCs already planned you also usually hear the big timed-exclusive disclaimer at the same time. They even went through the trouble to make those card sets for smaller retailers so that people would have a reason to use them.

Of course Gamestop demanded their tribute of exclusive preorder booty, or they would probably refuse to stock the game new. Honestly there is literally NOTHING I wouldn't put past Gamestop doing. The only place with more cutthroat and borderline illegal practices was Game Crazy which routinely sold used games as brand new. When I take a game home and it already has a saved game on it...there is no surprise that they went out of business.

Absolutionis:
If you already have Borderlands 1 on Steam, you can get a bundle with your friends that amounts to about $41 each.

That's what I did, we're all amped and we have our classes picked out ready to start.
Also, Microsoft store?

Sorry Microsoft, Steam beat you to it a few days ago, and NVIDIA will more than likely beat you again when i buy a new 600 series at the end of the month. It was a bit late to come out with this deal when you consider it comes out in what? 15days (UK).

Really does sound like a pretty sweet deal...I just wish I was able to get more excited about BL 2.

I had fun with the first game, played it a lot, got all the DLCs and beat the crap out of them (yes, including all the long versions of arena challenges AND killed the giant crab...without cheating, mind you). But then the realization sinks in: this game is highly dependant upon having friends to play with, otherwise it just becomes mindnumbingly repetative. Perhaps they've made it a little less repetative, but I really don't see how they could since grinding grind quests are a major part of the BL formula (Grind Quests + Randomized Loot * Hours to spend chatting with friends = BL Fun).

So yeah, I just really don't know...when I was done with the first game, I was DONE with it. As in, I had little to no interest at all in playing it again. If all BL 2 has to offer is more of the same with new classes and enemies...I dunno, I might end up taking a pass on this one.

Sweet deal. Good thing I waited to preorder. Definitely going to get the mechromancer DLC for my fiancee.

Kapol:
So get $30 back for buying it basically. Huh. And today I learned there's a Microsoft store, so that's nice. Now I just need to decide if I want to get it for 360 or PC.

How is that even a question? PC of cours! :D

Well that is a good deal. But I already preordered it on steam.

Here's hoping the PC version is the better version this time around.

Acrisius:

Kapol:

How is that even a question? PC of cours! :D

Why choose? Just get it for all the systems you own. That's what I did for BL1 and have pre-ordered for BL2. No matter what platform it's still going to be awesome!

Rule Britannia:
Sounds like a good deal, too bad I already preordered it at EB Games.

^ This. I'd much rather my Loot Chest than $30 of MS stuff.

For people still undecided, greenmangaming offers a digital download [PC] for at or around 40$. It depends on their coupon that is showing. I got it for 40$ if I had waited another day I coulda got it for 37.50. This was all last week too.

Andy Chalk:

...That's on top of access to the Borderlands 2 "Premiere Club," microsoftstore.com.

So it says that it includes the "Premiere Club", but on the Borderlands 2 "Premiere Club" Retailer List it isn't one of the stores that provide it. Does anyone have a definitive answer? Thanks.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here