Obsidian Teases a New RPG

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Obsidian Teases a New RPG

What is "Project X?"

Pop yourself over to Obsidian's website and you'll be greeted by a strange, new landing page: The number 4, circled by an Ouroboros, and a question. "What do the words mean?" it asks. And it answers, "Nothing. The Dirge of Eir Glanfath is sound without form, a lone voice crying out in mourning because it must."

We know that "Project X" is "Obsidian's next RPG endeavor," because it says so on the actual Obsidian site that's behind the landing page. Everything beyond that is just speculation, however, because as the studio explains, the game is "so secret not even its project codename is yet being revealed." Fortunately, a "Speculation and Discussion" forum has been provided for just that sort of conversation.

The prospect of a new, original Obsidian RPG is extremely exciting because while the studio has a reputation, not entirely undeserved, for releasing buggy games, it's also the developer that's given us Fallout: New Vegas, Neverwinter Nights 2 and a couple of expansions, Knights of the Old Republic 2, and, in its previous incarnation as Black Isle Studios, Fallout 2, Planescape: Torment and Icewind Dale. These guys have serious RPG chops, in other words, and bugs or not, when Obsidian makes an RPG, those who know RPGs pay attention.

There's one other hint, found buried in the source of the landing page: "To tenderness, fellowship. To fellowship, vigilance. So bring we all to the Night Market. I am the Spindle of Esenath. Know me by my light and stand with me in darkness." What could it mean?

Source: Obsidian

nice, make it a ninja v. Pirate game

Maybe the game is named '4'. That would be cool.

Interesting how the few lines of text so far revealed have already turned me off of something I literally just discovered existed.

It already sounds like the lowest and most juvenile offerings of so-called High Fantasy, so I guess it can't fail to go up from there once more is revealed.

It's probably the Wheel of Time RPG we've heard they would be working on ages ago. The Snake eating itself is one of it's symbols.

One thing is for sure if its Obsidian its bound to be good consider me excited I cant wait for more info :3

Sounds interesting enough for me. Nothing like a bit of cryptic nonsense to make you ponder.

The only game they remotely deserve the buggy blame for is AP and that was less buggy than poorly designed because they tried to fit too many mechanics in with little thought to synergy. All the rest of their buggy games had development schedules cut by 6 months or more less than 2 months before they ended up releasing them.

Does this mean that the first real official South Park game is done? Because I can't wait to get my hands on that. As for this new project, thanks for bringing it up. Planescape is in my top 5 and Obsidian are very well respected by me, so I will have my eyes on this. Hopefully the publisher isn't deciding to use a metacritic score to hold their payment hostage, as they make games out of love.

I apologize if this scares the hell out of anyone, but in my prayers I include a request to not have obsidian purchased by EA or Activision and get run through the Bioware ringer. Wow...I scared even myself.

Oh yes. Yes yes yes. Their games are often buggy and unfinished in some cases, but damn do they have depth we don't see in any other game.

Though if Dungeon Siege 3 is any indication, they seem to have fixed their bug problem. Now we just gotta see if they can keep it solved.

Oh man, I want it. I want it hard.

KoudelkaMorgan:
Interesting how the few lines of text so far revealed have already turned me off of something I literally just discovered existed.

It already sounds like the lowest and most juvenile offerings of so-called High Fantasy, so I guess it can't fail to go up from there once more is revealed.

Ooooh, that makes me even more excited! If they do go the high-fantasy route, they'll probably give it the KOTOR 2 treatment and brutally deconstruct the entire setting while adding some much-needed depth.

DrunkOnEstus:

I apologize if this scares the hell out of anyone, but in my prayers I include a request to not have obsidian purchased by EA or Activision and get run through the Bioware ringer. Wow...I scared even myself.

Now I'll have nightmares! The horror! DX

OT: I love Obsidian's games a lot, New Vegas and Fallout 2 are on my all time favorite games list, and while yes they are buggy I don't really hold it against them because of the time cuts they have to deal with to release the game on time. Now I'm intrigued.

Dungeon Siege 4? It would explain the 4 at least.

But whatever it is I'll probably enjoy it, since it's Obsidian behind it.

No idea what it will be but one things for sure, it will be riddled with all kinds of frustrating and hilarious bugs. Oh, Obsidian, why don't you playtest and bug hunt more?

Whatever it is, I'm looking forward to it. Very few good western RPGs come out these days.

Hmmm maybe it's their way of saying they want us to go 4k ourselves?

Wheel of Time RPG?

Regardless, Obsidian's always got my attention.

Fallout 4!

Atleast thats what I hope!

More games from one of my favorite devs? Yes please. Now, let the speculation begin! :D

So, it is obviously the fourth in a series... But what series? Seriously, the only one I can think of is Dungeon Siege 4 (Fallout 4, while possible, would not fit the other details). I am going to go google that dirge thing, see what I can find...

JuliusMagnus:
It's probably the Wheel of Time RPG we've heard they would be working on ages ago. The Snake eating itself is one of it's symbols.

I played one wheel of time game a LONG time ago. I think i lasted 30 minutes before unistalling it.

5 bucks says it will be as buggy as all hell.
Still, it could be interesting... if it is extensively patched.

Can't wait to play what no doubt will be an incredibly deep RPG with amazing writing and dialogue buried under two million bugs and glitches.

well, gibberish sounds like typical high fantasy to me. Heck, I think we need more straight fantasy instead of all this Game of Thrones-inspired stuff. Deconstruction does not automatically make you clever.

nikki191:

JuliusMagnus:

I played one wheel of time game a LONG time ago. I think i lasted 30 minutes before unistalling it.

That Wheel of Time game (assuming late '90s quake-'em-up FPS) actually had mechanics in it very, very similar to Orcs Must Die. I was surprised to see just how long "defense" style games have been around.

On topic: Chances are it's dungeon siege 4. But am I the only one who'd love an RPG set in ancient Egypt?

omicron1:
But am I the only one who'd love an RPG set in ancient Egypt?

Yes, through an amazing series of increasingly unlikely coincidences, for the first time ever on the internet you are utterly and completely unique in your viewpoint.

Well done.

ravenshrike:
The only game they remotely deserve the buggy blame for is AP and that was less buggy than poorly designed because they tried to fit too many mechanics in with little thought to synergy. All the rest of their buggy games had development schedules cut by 6 months or more less than 2 months before they ended up releasing them.

Yet despite that, it was still the most I can remember enjoying a non-sci fi/fantasy RPG. Sure, some stuff in it was astoundingly unbalanced or just didn't work at all (I feel sorry for anyone who tried to fight using anything other than pistols, and that hacking minigame almost made me cry), but when it did work it was worth putting up with everything else. It still had the usual Obsidian ambition and character/story development if you could forgive the also-typical Obsidian wonkiness, and it was nice to see a setting that doesn't get used much for RPGs for a change.

Andy Shandy:

Ugh, prob this. :\ Not that I disliked DS3 but..meh

reading this...

Bethesda..hmm whatever...oh! no wait OBSIDIAN! duuhh!!

I'm actually interested

Daaaah Whoosh:
Maybe the game is named '4'. That would be cool.

I can totally see myself playing 4 in the near future.

Aiddon:
well, gibberish sounds like typical high fantasy to me. Heck, I think we need more straight fantasy instead of all this Game of Thrones-inspired stuff. Deconstruction does not automatically make you clever.

Who said they need to deconstruct anything? Mask of the Betrayer wasn't a deconstruction, but a very faithful and smartly written fantasy story.

Saying that Deconstructions are automatically "better" is like saying Sarcasm makes you funny. (note, I know you didn't say that, don't attack me)

I can forgive silly names and typical fantasy stuff if it is told well. Hell, the Belgariad is one of the most derivative Fantasy series ever written and it is still an incredibly fun read.

FelixG:
Fallout 4!

Atleast thats what I hope!

There's absolutely no hope for that mate.

Just because Bethesda allowed them to complete a side project for them doesn't mean that they'll be the main developers for that franchise.

OT:Here's me hoping that it's going to somewhat similar to AP.

Huh. Guess we'll see. I'm not going to speculate. It only leads to wild expectations that are never exceeded. Best to wait and see, I say.

Still, if it's done by Obsidian I expect the writing to be good, but the game to be a buggy mess. :p

JuliusMagnus:

Andy Shandy:

It's not Wheel of Time or Dungeon Siege related, it will also make PC gamers happy, the 4 is part of a count-down xD I'll shut up now.

JuliusMagnus:

I highly doubt it, because things like the 'dirge of Eir Glanfath' don't sound like they're artifacts or titles from the WoT universe. There's too few apostraphes.

I would say WoT, with the potential to be completely unrelated to the books by taking place in the Fourth Age, allowing for entirely new lore and whatnot, but there are some problems with that. Deviating too much would create an unrecognizable world, and fans will want to visit some familiar landmarks. Also the snake eating its own tail is wrong. It is supposed to form an infinity symbol while biting its own tail. So while I want to see a WoT RPG, I don't think this is it. Which begs the question: What, exactly, is this?

This makes me happy.

I really hope it is an original concept though.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here