Platinum Games Responds to Angry Bayonetta Fans

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

So wait.. what is Bayonetta?

Hrm.. Exclusive sequel going to Nintendo you say?

Yeah not worth me bothering to find out then.

Bless nintendo for trying to appeal to the older core demo. Shame its still too little too late to actually get re-converts. But it is still nice to see them trying.

Well now... I see too views here.

The first is the view that Bayonetta 2 would never exist without Nintendo. So fans of the game should be happy.

The other is that Bayonetta was a multiplatform game. I doubt people ran out to buy a 360 or PS3 just for Bayonetta. But because Bayonetta 2 is now a WiiU exclusive, those people that dont have any poarticular desire to buy a WiiU are now left without Bayonetta 2.

Semudara:
Have you ever heard of a series called Sly Cooper? It's about an anthropomorphic raccoon who steals stuff. Well, the series so far has all released on the PS2, but now there's a new one coming out for the PS3.

Guess what? Sometimes a series jumps to the next generation of consoles, and people either have to pony up the money for the new system, or move on and just deal with it. I'm not saying it's necessarily a good thing; Banjo-Kazooie leaving Nintendo for Microsoft hasn't exactly worked out, for example. But if this results in a quality series, console-exclusive or otherwise, then complaining about it is just silly.

There is a difference in jumping from the PS2 to PS3, and going from Multi-plat title to a exclusive, specifically to a console that, for most people im assuming, didnt plan on buying. If bayonetta 2 was to be coming out on the "Xbox720 and PS4", people wouldnt really care, as they would be planning on buying those consoles already. Anyone who enjoyed Bayonetta and was already decided to buy a WiiU wont have much to complain about. But those people that didnt care for the WiiU, but still wanted Bayonetta 2, are now basically being taunted with a game they can never play unless they pony up the cash for thw WiiU...

Thats what Im assuming is the main problem with people. to be honest, I didnt like Bayonetta enough to really care if it got a sequal or not.

As a PC gamer, I am just laughing my ass off over here. The amount of butthurt is giving me such a painful erection right now.

As we all know, its the PC gamers who are the elitist entitled (drink!) twats right? Right? Anybody?

I might be upset about this, I might have been if I hadn't of played Bayonetta 1 and found that it was completely overrated. Seriously mediocre at it's best Nintendo can buy up all the mediocre brands it wants.

Ghonzor:
How does being an exclusive to a single console reach more people?

Platinum, you see, there's this thing called logic. You seem to be missing it.

Not only that, they are also trying to reach more people on a console thats not even out and shipping units yet. Even then they wouldn't be reaching more people if the fans who originally played it on Xbox and PS3 don't buy the WiiU and get the game as well. It would be highly probable that the game would end up selling less than the first one with the smaller fanbase surrounding the WiiU at the moment.

OT: Nintendo finds something that people want. Offers to publish it. Decides to make it a console exclusive to influence sales of the as of yet unreleased new console. Plan starts to backfire. I'm pretty sure someone had forseen this sort of rage reaction anyway...

"Nintendo sucks because they don't have any good third party games!"

"No Nintendo, stop taking all the third party games!"

Make up your mind, internet. This is exactly what you've been saying Nintendo needs to do.

Disappointing to say the least. I'm probably not alone when I say the Wii was the console for me that collected the most dust this gen, so I'm weary about getting the WiiU until it can prove it's worth.

It'd be nice to see it add the WiiU on the list of consoles it was available on, instead of it being the only console it's available on.

I struggle to grasp how so many people think Platinum had a choice in the exclusivity. Say yes or no game, those are the terms.

Also, bookmarking all these threads about console nerd rage, something to dust off the next time console gamers attempt to laud their maturity. (Yes I know it is immature of me to do this, I, at least am honest enough to admit to my immaturity)

Ooo Ooo Ooo! Newest Smash Bros character. Calling it!

BiH-Kira:

Orbot_Vectorman:
To be quite honest, I should start trying to find work and Nintendo, because honestly, they could have made a killing on Bayonetta 2. Firstly by the fact Bayonetta has a pre-made fan base on the PS3 and X-Box 360, and with that in mind, Nintendo could have published Bayonetta 2 for the other consoles, and made money of their enemies, honestly a new game is $60 all day long. And if that wasn't enough, they could have built the excitement by making Bayonetta 2 a timed Wii U exclusive, giving fans more of a reason to get it.

There are people who will buy the WiiU only because of Bayonetta, or Bayonetta was the game that changed their mind.

IF N published the game on the PS360, those people wouldn't have bought the WiiU. If those people didn't buy the WiiU, they wouldn't be potential buyers for other games published on the WiiU.

They wold most likely make more money on Bayonetta 2 than this way, but they would be losing in the long run.

I can say that the Bayonetta 2 announcement was what got me looking at the Wii-U seriously and as a result I'll be getting one at launch. Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge didn't hurt things either.

If Nintendo didn't publish it, the game wouldn't exist. Sorry to repeat others on this thread, but COME ON FANS THINK.

Attracting an audience to a new system with an exclusive: Good idea.

Nintendo getting a little bit more "mature" with their 3rd party titles: Good idea.

WiiU: I'm still unsure about it, but as I've been messing with the PSVita recently, it got me thinking that having a touchscreen controller combined with a larger console is an interesting idea. I'm holding out lots of hope for Vita because it REALLY has potential and I think WiiU is in the same category. Its not Kinect-style Uncanny Valley, so to me it really has potential.

Developers and ultimately publishers are the major result.

jamesworkshop:
Gamers got angry cos dante change his hair cut

I think we should probably stop caring

I like this quote. Thank you, James Workshop.

Somehow I don't think this will turn out to well. I can't see many people swapping to Nintendo just for this.

In other words, nobody else wanted our game so went to Nintendo. I would have actually supported them saying "It was this or no game at all, so suck it!" but that would have been rather blunt, if hilarious.

Why are people angry? They haven't spent the money to buy a PS4 or Nextbox37million yet. You don't HAVE to buy the same company's console every generation.

Fair play Platinum Games, I retract my previous bitching, if this really was the only way this game could get the green light then im all for it. Im getting a WiiU anyways as I wanna Pikmin it up a notch!!!

Braedan:
Why are people angry? They haven't spent the money to buy a PS4 or Nextbox37million yet. You don't HAVE to buy the same company's console every generation.

Sure you don't, but you're still unlikely to go out and buy the next iteration of a console you weren't the least bit interested in during the previous generation, just so you get to play a sequel that will at best be a poor relation to the original and at worst be a load of guff...

Bayonetta dissappointed me, so I don't really care. But it seems reasonable. If there wasn't going to be a Bayonetta 2 on the Wii U, then there wasn't going to be a Bayonetta 2. Yeah it sucks, but what can you do?

In other news, Bayonetta fans fail at reading.

That is what I took away from this.

What I found strange was the where 'excited over their new partnership with Nintendo'...

Have they seen some of the other games that cam out on the Wii? It hardly reaches out to the 'core gamer demographic'.

And I have been very put off by Nintendo because I find the Wii controls alienating. And it really does appear that Nintendo demands their 'intuitive' design be made a part of the gameplay.

Kid Icarus Uprising is the most vulgar example of this. When a hand-held console requires a stand to play it on, something has gone wrong here. Yes it may look pretty, but I would rather stave off Carpal Tunnel Syndrome until much later in life.

The only good thing about Nintendo is the DS... and that has been taken a slide as I wait for the sequel to Dragon Ball Z Attack of the Saiyans, that or a Zoids game in English released OUTSIDE Japan would be good too.

Oh god, is twitter becoming a thing now?

V8 Ninja:

jamesworkshop:
Gamers got angry cos dante change his hair cut

I think we should probably stop caring

I like this quote. Thank you, James Workshop.

Ha, I remember that :P
As a non-devilmaycryer who knew nothing about the series at all (and still really doesn't) I must admit i found it pretty damn funny that in their effort to make dante 'cooler' he just happened to start looking very similar to that lead designer guy or whoever that guy was.

Innegativeion:
"Stop embarrassing us and yourselves. It was this or nothing"

~Platinum Games

~Also everyone who wasn't complaining about it

oh man, if only they had actually done that, could you imagine the sheer hilarity XD

matrix3509:
As a PC gamer, I am just laughing my ass off over here. The amount of butthurt is giving me such a painful erection right now.

As we all know, its the PC gamers who are the elitist entitled (drink!) twats right? Right? Anybody?

Well, if ya really want...

I'll agree with ya there!

Cheers!

Quadocky:
Oh god, is twitter becoming a thing now?

It's been a thing for years, man. The Escapist even uses it for contests.

OT: Fair play, Platinum. Good to see that some devs out there have half-decent PR.

Being a PS3/Xbox/PC gamer, this does bother me, but I feel a lot of the frustration is misdirected at Platinum. For me to be say I'd rather it didn't come out at all, rather than on a console that I will not buy is pretty much just all out selfish. People need to realize this more.

I can imagine the rage though, it's like someone pointed out earlier, imagine any franchise that you know and love suddenly becoming exclusive on another console, or more to the point here, exclusive on one that you are almost certain you are not going to buy. But gamers should mature up a bit, some of the reactions are what gives us a bad name, as well as entitled screaming brats. It kinda overshadows other issues, like DRM and DLC and stale franchises and pretty much everything, makes it hard to sort out what is really important or not (or what may be more detrimental or important to more people, rather than a select few).

I don't know about anyone else, but when I saw the Bayonetta 2 trailer my reaction was: "Yes! I ~MUST~ get a WiiU now!"

You know what's really grinding my gears about this whole thing? People acting as though anyone with a complaint is some sort of childish wingepot.

A multiplatform IP just Went exclusive on a system that most of the existing fans won't be interested in getting... how is there no room for complaints there?

I enjoyed the first game, had the sequel come out for the PC or PS3 I'd have ended up getting it. Now I won't be getting it atall. I'm personally okay with this, I didn't like it so much that I need a sequel.

But I'm not going to go tell the people who did that they have no right to complain.

There really is no excuse for the people saying that.

Phlakes:
"Nintendo sucks because they don't have any good third party games!"

"No Nintendo, stop taking all the third party games!"

Make up your mind, internet. This is exactly what you've been saying Nintendo needs to do.

Adopt =/= Bogart.

They're also getting Darsiders II. And they managed to do that without turning it from multiplatform to exclusive.

I'd wager that's actually what people wanted them to do.

Abandon4093:
You know what's really grinding my gears about this whole thing? People acting as though anyone with a complaint is some sort of childish wingepot.

A multiplatform IP just Went exclusive on a system that most of the existing fans won't be interested in getting... how is there no room for complaints there?

I enjoyed the first game, had the sequel come out for the PC or PS3 I'd have ended up getting it. Now I won't be getting it atall. I'm personally okay with this, I didn't like it so much that I need a sequel.

But I'm not going to go tell the people who did that they have no right to complain.

Yeah, but most complaints are misdirected. Platinum couldn't exactly choose the terms. I'm pretty sure that a game developer would like to see his game played by as many people as possible but when faced with the choice between 'some players get to play it and the chance of making a third game in the series' and 'no game at all and probably start looking for a new job', I know what I would've done. Everyone would make the same choice. It's not even "selling out" or anything. It's just... being able to make the game they want to do.

so you could blame Nintendo but that's oftentimes hypocritical because the same people who complain right now were the ones who said that the wii didn't have enough 3rd-party support or had too many casual/shovelware on their home console. Nintendo tries to fight both these things at the same time and they're getting shit for it because NINTENDO >:C

The thing I've also seen is: "Nintendo should publish it for ALL consoles"
Yes... yes... damn Nintendo for trying to build a decent core customer-base instead of publishing a game across platforms for short-term profit. CURSE YOU, NINTY! CUUURRRRRSE YOUUUUUUUU!!!! (and don't tell me Bayonetta 2 won't help with that. If even only 5% of everyone who bought the game thinks 'hmm, I need to get a wiiU because I want to play this game' that 50k more consoles sold)

Seriously, I'm not stopping anyone from complaining but I will call out bullshit when I see it.

I cant say that I'm happy about this announcement, but it will more than likely get ported in the nearish future, whether it be to this generation or the next.

I enjoyed Bayonetta and it's a bit annoying that it's exclusively coming out for the Wii U which I'm unlikely to purchase at this stage. On the positive side, it sounds like the Wii U will look better graphically and maybe it'll be less 'soccer mom' oriented wrt games?

TJC:

Abandon4093:

Yeah, but most complaints are misdirected. Platinum couldn't exactly choose the terms. I'm pretty sure that a game developer would like to see his game played by as many people as possible but when faced with the choice between 'some players get to play it and the chance of making a third game in the series' and 'no game at all and probably start looking for a new job', I know what I would've done. Everyone would make the same choice. It's not even "selling out" or anything. It's just... being able to make the game they want to do.

so you could blame Nintendo but that's oftentimes hypocritical because the same people who complain right now were the ones who said that the wii didn't have enough 3rd-party support or had too many casual/shovelware on their home console. Nintendo tries to fight both these things at the same time and they're getting shit for it because NINTENDO >:C

The thing I've also seen is: "Nintendo should publish it for ALL consoles"
Yes... yes... damn Nintendo for trying to build a decent core customer-base instead of publishing a game across platforms for short-term profit. CURSE YOU, NINTY! CUUURRRRRSE YOUUUUUUUU!!!! (and don't tell me Bayonetta 2 won't help with that. If even only 5% of everyone who bought the game thinks 'hmm, I need to get a wiiU because I want to play this game' that 50k more consoles sold)

Seriously, I'm not stopping anyone from complaining but I will call out bullshit when I see it.

I'll grant that some people are complaining to the wrong people, but there's still complaints to be made.

I'm pissed off with Sega more than anyone. They had over a million sales for Bayonetta 1. That might not be record shattering but it's certainly not a financial failure. I'd assume with an already established brand that they'd now probably have had more success with the sequel. It was critically and publicly well received.

Sega made a fucking bad move deciding to sack a sequel and now fans of the original are paying the price in a multiplat franchise going exclusive.

And as I mentioned before. No one complained when Nintendo said they were bringing Darksiders II out on WiiU release. Or Arkham City etc. That's because they didn't buy exclusive rights to either of those franchises.

It is a smart[ish] move on Nintendos part making it a flagship title. It does affirm that they're looking to shake off the casual stigma, but they're doing it by being dicks.

They'd likely have swayed most on the fencers (who are going to be swayed by total exclusivity) by just having an earlier release for the title on their console. Call it 6 months to be generous. 6 months and then it goes multiplat. Sure some people would be pissed that others are getting the toy first, but then they'd literally just be the unreasonable babies. I'd happily wait 6 months for a PC or even PS3 release. As I do as a PC gamer a lot of the time anyway.

But as it stands Nintendo have made a dick move and fans of the franchise have a right to be pissed.

I'm still just glad this game exists at all.

Why can't people just be happy for a sequel even existing?

ANImaniac89:
So let me get this straight Platinum games wanted to make Bayonetta 2 but the geniuses at Sega decides that the continued assrape of the Sonic series was a better business plan and said No. So Nintendo wanting to win back the more "traditional" gaming demographic decides to do something almost completely out of character and publish an almost certainly M rated game (Which I might add gamer have been wanting Nintendo to "grow up" for years now)
And what do they get for it?
The pathetic bitching of anti-Nintendo fanboy gamers who fail to see that now without Nintendo THERE IS NO BAYONETTA 2.

The only way I could see this going bad was if Nintendo decides to censor it, Like say every time Bayonetta shows a some skin they covered her Ass/Tits with Mario style question mark boxes.

Also does this mean that Bayonetta will be in the next Smash Bros?

only really young gamers would ever have been wanting Nintendo to "grow up". The whole concept of Nintendo as the "family friendly" console is a very new thing.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.