Sonic Creator Left Sega to Avoid Making More Sonic Games

Sonic Creator Left Sega to Avoid Making More Sonic Games

Sonic the Hedgehog's Yuji Naka is really happy that he's not still making Sonic the Hedgehog.

Sequels tend to be the way of things when it comes to creative industries, perhaps most obviously in videogames. Love them or hate them, the majority of game advertisements tend to be follow-ups to previous, popular releases. While the issue can sometimes divide gamers, it turns out that developers themselves can feel just as strongly. In a recent interview, Sonic the Hedgehog creator Yuji Naka even stated that one of the benefits of leaving Sega was that he wouldn't be required to make Sonic sequels.

"One of the reasons I left Sega was, if I stayed there, I would have had to just make Sonic games," Naka said. "Right now I don't have to make Sonic anymore, so I'm enjoying that freedom a lot."

Naka isn't claiming that he dislikes Sonic games, by the way. In fact, Naka even notes that his dream "is to be able to create a character that can be equal to Sonic". The problem, as he sees it, is that once publishers find a franchise that earns mad amounts of cash, its developers will be forced to churn out sequel after sequel instead of experimenting with original titles.

"Miyamoto has been making Mario games," Naka continues. "He has to keep on making Mario games. [Eiji] Aonuma has to keep making Zelda games. [Hideo] Kojima has to make Metal Gear games. I wish he could take that off of everyone's shoulders so they could create other stuff, like new stuff. Because that's healthier for the industry."

While I don't think sequels are necessarily a bad thing, or that all developers are unwilling to create them, I can understand Naka's point. Hideo Kojima's Metal Gear is actually an interesting example considering that the upcoming Metal Gear Solid 5 follows the game that definitively ended Solid Snake's storyline. Hopefully Kojima isn't completely tired of the character just yet, but Naka is perfectly happy to create original titles through his mobile studio Prope. "Right now I can create a game without any limitations or dealing with any outside company," Naka says. "I want to keep on creating my type of games, no matter what."

Source: Polygon via Gamasutra

I completely understand. I wouldn't want my name on the newer Sonic games either, although it sounds like we may have different reasons for that.

I feel really bad for the people working at Capcom now

Personally, I'd go completely bonkers as well if I had to make another Sonic game every year. At least with Zelda and MGS, you have the freedom of expanding the universe. With Sonic, there isn't much to expand except explaining why bestiality is a thing there.

Hey, good on him for following his own ambitions, I respect him for it...

Good for him, I wouldn't want to stay around to make more sonic games after the absolute thrashing sonic has been getting (never forget, 2006)

Zombie_Moogle:

You should

There's a reason all the big name talent left the company already.

"Sonic the Hedgehog creator Yuji Naka"

Not quite. Naka was the lead programmer for the Genesis games, but Sonic was created by Naoto Oshima. That being said, I'm sure Sonic 4 would've been better had he been involved.

P.S. Thanks

Good on him. Devs shouldn't feel tied down by their past projects and I'm glad to see him pursue his dreams.

Now I'm kinda hoping his next project doesn't explode the way Sonic did, that would be a real Propane.

There have only been like 6 Sonic games though...

Sonic 1, 2, 3, DX, adventure 2 battle + generations

I'm all for it man, really, but... people kinda know there was some stink up during 06 development and he left. This is old news.

There's wild debates on weather his leaving is what fouled up development but I argue no, since he was still had a hand in Shadow the Hedgehog so ...

I'd almost say they needed some time apart...

kinda presumptuous of you to think you know what Aonuma and Miyamoto are thinking.

Angry Juju:

yea.... no. So many sonic games out there that it is blinding and most of them are bad. Thank you Naka for standing up for yourself and making a stand for poor sonic, stop abusing his corpse and let us just remember the good times sega!

Props to him, hoping he can create something to rival the original Sonic games.

Aiddon:
kinda presumptuous of you to think you know what Aonuma and Miyamoto are thinking.

I think his point was that even if they wanted to do something else they can't because they've created something great and the company they work for just wants more of that.
I also think it presumptuous to think Miyamoto's thinking, guy plays jump rope with the line between geniusness and idiocy.

Shinsei-J:
Props to him, hoping he can create something to rival the original Sonic games.

Aiddon:

I think his point was that even if they wanted to do something else they can't because they've created something great and the company they work for just wants more of that.
I also think it presumptuous to think Miyamoto's thinking, guy plays jump rope with the line between geniusness and idiocy.

Problem with that statement: Miyamoto doesn't really make Mario or Zelda anymore. And keep in mind Nintendo DOES let Miyamoto do new things; Pikmin, Nintendo, and Wii Music for instance. They don't always work out, but Nintendo doesn't shackle him to franchises Sure, he still produces and supervises Zelda and Mario but he's not a designer for them anymore. The situation Naka's claims he was in is NOTHING like Miyamoto's.

Angry Juju:

8. You forgot Sonic & Knuckles and Sonic Colours.

SkarKrow:

Angry Juju:

True, how clumsy of me... Though I never played Sonic Colours and isn't Sonic and Knuckles an alternative version of Sonic 3?

Angry Juju:

SkarKrow:

Angry Juju:

True, how clumsy of me... Though I never played Sonic Colours and isn't Sonic and Knuckles an alternative version of Sonic 3?

Colours is amazing, better than Generations was. No, S&K is like what happens immediately after Sonic 3, it was supposed to be part of Sonic 3 but time restraints and budget issues meant it had to be 2 carts, when you clip Sonic 3 on top of the cart you get the full Sonic 3 as intended.

Play Sonic & Knuckles, if you haven't already, it's probably the best in the series, after Sonic 3 & Knuckles :P

I recognize that Yuji Naka is probably trying very hard not to come across as though he's actually saying "I gazed forward at a professional life of making Sonic games, and began looking at razor blades with a feeling of yearning," but that's still kind of the impression one gets.

Since everyone seems to forget about how many sonic games there are heres a list. Sonic 1,2,3,4, Sonic Chaos (Sonic and Tails), Sonic and Knuckles, Sonic and Tails 2, Sonic Blast, Sonic The Hedgehog Pocket Adventure, Sonic Advance 1,2,3, Sonic Rush, Sonic Rush Adventure. Sonic 3D, Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, Sonic Heroes, Sonic The Hedgehog (2006 Release), Sonic and the Secret Rings, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic and The Black Knight, Sonic Generations, Sonic Colors.
And lets not forget the like 50 other spin-offs, other characters games, mobile games and racing games....

TL;DR Sonic has ~100 games, not 6 or 8.

He wouldn't have had to have made Sonic games anymore anyway. Most of the sonic games made by Sega in his last years weren't headed by him anyway. He chose to make Sonic's Adventure because he wanted to make a Sonic RPG, but SA2 was made by the Sega Institute in America if I recall correctly.

SkarKrow:

Angry Juju:

What about Secret Rings, Unleashed, Sonic 06, Black Knight etc?

The difference with Miyamoto, Anouma and Kojima is that all 3 of them did amazing games and are still making amazing games, as for Sonic, well, it's no secret that it had better days, but at least Colors and Generations were awesome.

http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_games

With a list like that anyone would be tired.

Fanghawk:
"Miyamoto has been making Mario games," Naka continues. "He has to keep on making Mario games. [Eiji] Aonuma has to keep making Zelda games. [Hideo] Kojima has to make Metal Gear games. I wish he could take that off of everyone's shoulders so they could create other stuff, like new stuff. Because that's healthier for the industry."

:P He really does make it sound like some type of literal hell, doesn't he? "Miyamoto has to keep on making Mario games." As though he's been damned for enternity to be forced into churning out one Mario game after another. Like he's being held captive.

Sean951:

SkarKrow:

Angry Juju:

I've never heard of those games, they sound pretty broken and awful, like they'd have badly implemented controls, poor design choice or be just plain unfinished though!

lunax69:
Since everyone seems to forget about how many sonic games there are heres a list. Sonic 1,2,3,4, Sonic Chaos (Sonic and Tails), Sonic and Knuckles, Sonic and Tails 2, Sonic Blast, Sonic The Hedgehog Pocket Adventure, Sonic Advance 1,2,3, Sonic Rush, Sonic Rush Adventure. Sonic 3D, Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, Sonic Heroes, Sonic The Hedgehog (2006 Release), Sonic and the Secret Rings, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic and The Black Knight, Sonic Generations, Sonic Colors.
And lets not forget the like 50 other spin-offs, other characters games, mobile games and racing games....

TL;DR Sonic has ~100 games, not 6 or 8.

you know i get the feeling the joke went over your head.....possibly not but i dunno.

OT: Good on him. hope he can make some amazing games. best of luck to him.

"One of the reasons I left Sega was, if I stayed there, I would have had to just make Sonic games," Naka said. "Right now I don't have to make Sonic anymore, so I'm enjoying that freedom a lot."

I'll admit. I freaking lol-ed

SkarKrow:

Sean951:

SkarKrow:

I've never heard of those games, they sound pretty broken and awful, like they'd have badly implemented controls, poor design choice or be just plain unfinished though!

I heard Secret Rings wasn't horrible. I don't really play Sonic though.

Sean951:

SkarKrow:

Sean951:

I found it pretty horrible tbh, it was different but different doesn't mean good.

Sean951:

SkarKrow:

Angry Juju:

We don't talk about them.

As far as I'm concerned, I'd rather they didn't exist at all.

I still like Sonic and I'm thankful to Yuji Naka for making sonic. But I can understand he's point of view. Some times you have to take a break from one franchise and make a new one.

Sean951:

SkarKrow:

Sean951:

yeah it wasn't bad but it was annoying. it had some kind of auto scroll crap where you had to tilt the controller forward and try to jump before you hit something. I did't really feel like I was controlling sonic at all. The game also had some kind of objective based thing that had you going around in circles till you found "X" number of things.

Rocklobster99:

Zombie_Moogle:

You should

There's a reason all the big name talent left the company already.

Thank you for sharing that link, I always enjoy seeing worker ants tell the public what's really going on and decide to be so transparent. Hospitalization is a bit far, but without Capcom behaving this way we wouldn't have Platinum Games and other great developments.

OT: All the luck to Naka, I hope for his sake that he can create a character or a franchise with impact and staying power (but not so much that it repeats a cycle?)

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here