Ubisoft Considers Annual Assassin's Creed 3 Sequels

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Ubisoft Considers Annual Assassin's Creed 3 Sequels

If Assassin's Creed fans like Connor, Ubisoft may bring him back as early as next year.

Assassin's Creed is one of those franchises that, from a glance, doesn't really seem to be numbered correctly. The reason for this is because Ezio's story from Assassin's Creed II continued as a trilogy with Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood and Revelations, while Assassin's Creed III will tell a new story starring the third series protagonist, Connor. The Assassin's Creed II trilogy was actually quite successful for Ubisoft, so the question now is whether it intends to continue Connor's story across multiple annual titles as well. According to Assassin's Creed III associate producer Julien Laferrière, sequels aren't out of the question but it depends entirely on whether the fans think Connor would be worth pursuing.

"We made three games with Ezio because people loved Ezio," Laferrière explained. We're going to see how players react to the guy [Connor] for sure ... The more you know about Connor the more you'll love him, but in the end we'll see what the reception is like."

Since annual Assassin's Creed releases are the major reason Assassin's Creed III even exists, making further sequels seems to be the natural direction to take. That said, there are other issues to consider. The switch from Ezio's fifteenth-century Italy to eighteenth-century Colonial America is about as abrupt a shift in tone as you can get for a videogame sequel, which from a producer's perspective could be a very risky move. To Laferrière, it's just important to ensure that Assassin's Creed III is a good game, whether it gets sequels or not.

"Our goal is to make the best game possible," Laferrière said, "if there's a good game every year, I'll play it every year. It's like a good television series that goes on for a while. I like Seinfeld, it went on for seven seasons and most of them were pretty good. If they had a bad season, would I have lost interest? Maybe, maybe not. But when the quality is there, the frequency is not an issue."

Source: Eurogamer

We know people will buy them.

Brotherhood was okay, but you could tell it was unfinished. Revelations creates disgust more often than fun for the same reason, only more so.

So it sounds like we can expect III to be decent, and the quality of its sequels to deteriorate.

I think two games per main character is good enough. This last one was a let down for me. So for every official number game, give us one more to complete a longer story perhaps.

Saw that coming.
I must be psychic.

I'm also guessing Connor will probably take part in the French Revolution.

God dammit, I thought they said they were done with this shit? The gameplay is fun, but the Ezio trilogy proved that you cant string the series along on that and incremental inventory upgrades. By the time Revelations rolled around, I barely cared about the insignificant amount of plot presented in the game.

You're not CoD. Please stop trying to be.

EDIT: And the stupid Seinfeld metaphor doesn't hold up either, because all I had to do was show up for the next season. It didn't cost me 60 bucks to find out whether it was good or not.

sounds ok to me. i really enjoy the series so far. even revelations. so if connor is a interesting character and the sequels are fun to play, why not.
at least ubisoft waits before it just throws out some sequels and wondering why now one likes it or buys it.

Assassin's Creed : French Revolution.

Hur on a dangerous path there Ubisoft.

People didn't seem to mind the shift from the Third Crusade (think that's when AC1 takes place) to the Renaissance. I don't think they'll mind jumping from that to the Revolutionary War.

You know what? Maybe I won't get AC3 after all.

I was working at Ubisoft last year about this time, and we had the internal announcement about this 3 part AC3 plan back then. So yea guys, buckle up for another trilogy.

Aww...I love the series but can we have a game where it doesn't have an annual sequel? Brotherhood was welcomed because it was a pleasant surprise amongst people who were uncomfortable with a game after only a year, it added enough things to keep it interesting.

Revelations had the cool hook, but thats all, the bombs were almost not needed.

This is why I've given up on Assassins Creed, I think I played the first three and then I realised I was playing the same game over and over.

Mulitplayer was an interesting addition but most of the skills didnt work how the were supposed to

Actually I don't think I've bought a Ubisoft game for about 2 years and I cant say i seem to have missed much. I would have bought Anno if not for the stupid DRM

Captcha - Fancy pants

Well it's nice to be noticed

I get the feeling they'll release yearly sequels regardless.

And Connor sounds freaking boring, but luckily Assassins Creed 3 doesn't.

I'm not against this idea in theory. If they finish off the Desmond story in III and then just use these possible future games to flesh out the rest of Connor's story, fine.

A la AC Bloodlines and what Liberation will likely be (although Bloodlines was supposed to be Desmond even though there's no indication of it aside from the menu being the Animus screen.) Still I'm all for future AC games that don't need to be tied to the end of the world plot. The Fall was pretty good, games that work like that would be good. World building but not part of this seemingly never-ending race-against-time.

I guess it'd be cool. Having backgrounds, environments and graphics allows them to focus on gameplay and story. Would still like to see new, different iterations however

The "run it into the ground until people hate it" strategy...

I'm not surprised by UBI, so it hardly seems worth it, but... BOOOOO! BOOOOO! Get off the stage, Ubisoft!

Considering? I think the very existence of this story is substantial evidence that they have something in the works right now.

Couldn't pick a less intuitive series to try and annualise.

Morons.

"Our goal is to make the best game possible"

How? Making a game takes a lot of time and effort with no certainty of success and even if the game does great, the team that made it is still going to be shagged out by the crunch.

Asking them to do a great game yearly? You're just going to burn them out and the games will suffer, not to mention the possibility of some of the people making the game decide the pace is too much and bug out.

Not the best move Ubisoft could have made.

Nurb:
The "run it into the ground until people hate it" strategy...

I'm not surprised by UBI, so it hardly seems worth it, but... BOOOOO! BOOOOO! Get off the stage, Ubisoft!

Well they are on their way. I think the AC series is going to continue its "buy used only" category its starting to slide into. I did it for revelations and AC3 seem to be a safe used bet.

Right, so basically they're saying 'Expect a disappointing and unnecessary sequel, and then a REALLY disappointing and REALLY unnecessary threequel.

You can't make a decent game within a year, even if you've got the engine and a huge team.

(not that I would mind a sequel in the same engine, there were other areas in which Brotherhood/Revelations failed and II succeeded)

I bought AC1 and loved it. I bought AC2 on release day. I bought AC2.5 six months after it came out. I bought AC2.75 only because I could pick it up on a Steam Sale for £7.50-ish.

I'll buy this one... when I can pick it up on a Steam sale for £5. I'm just not sold it's really worth more than that any more, and this whole annual release thing just gives me even more reason not to be too bothered with on-release purchases.

I could go for this if they don't repeat the Brotherhood/Revelations Mistake and do an all Connor all the time. lets shift each period to show different ancestors. the Roaring 20s, or the Inquisition, or Maybe the Era of the Conquistadors.

Wolfram23:
You know what? Maybe I won't get AC3 after all.

This ^^

I was on the fence with the 6th game, maybe it's time to just abandon the series now before I waste too much money especially since im sure each game with have lots and lots of DLC.

I am starting to get a little tired of AC... I do love the series, and I can't wait for the third one, but we need time to want it! With yearly iterations, there is no time to build up hype or anticipation. Instead of, "oh man it's been 2-3 long years and it's finally coming" it's more of a, "oh, here's this year's assassin's creed, sweet." I do hope they wrap up the main conflict in the present day story line, rather than try and leave a sequel hook.

However, the idea of a game set in the French Rev would be awesome, maybe Connor goes to France or something next year.

Dude...

AC gameplay was sick and fun at first, but since 2, I've been playing for the story.

And right now, the story went from intriguing to OMFZG when's it gonna end.

Will Desmond be in a coma for like, the next 5 games?

I laughed when i saw this :') cause i knew people would be like "NOOOOOOOOO LET IT DIE"

Personally i have enjoyed all AC games apart from the first, so i'm not bothered, if they keep the core mechanics the same i'm fine with this.

More annual sequels? I doubt I'll be buying them. Assassins Creed was fun but how many times are people going to buy the same game just with a bit of a different story? I don't really think there is much more than can do with series.

We liked Ezio sure, but I know I was done with him after Brotherhood.
Don't make the same mistake and have characters outstay their welcome.

Haters gonna hate.

I am a diehard fan, but even I'm leery. Brotherhood and Revelations were damn fine games, but I felt the power slipping in the script, of all things. The start of Brotherhood, the dialogues was atrocious (smooths out later, thank god). The plot of Revelations felt a little paint-by-numbers -- the story could have been far more interesting and engaging. I would have loved Revelations far more if the rationale for Ezio working for the Turkish assassin's guild was that he showed up in town after the prologue, and in an effort to get what he wants, accidentally wrecks a six-month op Yusuf was setting up. Then all the bomb tutorial stuff is Ezio having to learn how they do things in Istanbul as he earns his way into the locals' good graces. Instead, Ezio shows up and he's a superstar and everyone wants his autograph. Which is reasonable, but not very interesting. Also, Dilara would have been a far more interesting love interest than random Italian girl he happens to find there.

Whatever happens, so long as the rhetorical situation makes sense and the game is fun, rock on. Currently I'm not excited one way or the other. The preview hype so far makes Connor seem even less interesting than Altair, which is a bit of a feat, all told.

Thanks to previous games, Ubisoft's AC teams have significant cache with me, and I'll buy AC games sight unseen until I start hitting real lemons, not just fruits that need a little pesticide washed off.

Welcome to Madden NFL: Assassins Creed Edition, Final Call of Modern Battlefield Fantasy XXIII - Finish the Fight. 2. Limited Collectors Elite Edition. With 1 Year Annual DLC Pass. Post Annual DLC Coming Soon; already on the disc. Please register on our website for your unlock code. Like us on Facebook and whore yourself out to advertise to your friends and we'll unlock an extra downloadable costume for you; $3.99 shipping and handling. Limited time only. Forever. We reserve the right to delete your account and game for any reason without refund under mandatory binding arbitration. With your mom.

Nicolaus99:
Welcome to Madden NFL: Assassins Creed Edition, Final Call of Modern Battlefield Fantasy XXIII - Finish the Fight. 2. Limited Collectors Elite Edition. With 1 Year Annual DLC Pass. Post Annual DLC Coming Soon; already on the disc. Please register on our website for your unlock code. Like us on Facebook and whore yourself out to advertise to your friends and we'll unlock an extra downloadable costume for you; $3.99 shipping and handling. Limited time only. Forever. We reserve the right to delete your account and game for any reason without refund under mandatory binding arbitration. With your mom.

I may or may not have shamelessly copy-pasted that for future use.

Now let us watch as the current, sort-of-hidden, borne through actual creative and devoted work flaws in the Assassin's Creed series give way to massive flaws that are created because the producers don't actually care about the quality in the final product.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here