Notch Posts Test Video of Mojang's New Game

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Notch Posts Test Video of Mojang's New Game

The latest video of Notch testing pre-alpha 0x10c includes sound and multiplayer.

While details have been few and far between regarding the actual content of Notch's new project, 0x10c, Notch has shared plenty of details on the coding of the game. Earlier today, however, Notch posted a video on the official 0x10c blog of himself exploring the game's multiplayer with working sound. The video includes what Notch calls a placeholder robot model for the eventual human characters. The new weapon placeholder notch announced last week is also included. In the test Notch interacts with what seems to be the generator and CPU, key features of the game. Compared to the very sparse preview posted previously, this one is full of life.

0x10c will be set in a far future where the space race never ended, but due to a 16-bit computer bug, some unlucky spacefarers from 1988 have slept until near the end of the universe. The near-dead universe will be filled with "remote galaxies forever lost to red shift, star formation long since ended, and massive black holes dominating the galaxy." In the game, characters will apparently interact with the ship, which includes a generator and CPU. The ship's Generator will produce a fixed amount of power, requiring players to manage the amount of resources they are trying to keep online at once. The ship will be controlled by a functioning 16-bit CPU that players interact with. Beyond this, little is known about what the actual gameplay will be like.

Source: Official 0x10c Blog

While I am expecting this game, I kinda want more info before getting all hyped about it.

dafuq.

I like how a 3D game makes retro sounds like an arcade machine. Yep, that's pretty much all I can say for this video.

Very... Treky. Could be interesting, lets just see what happens.

Looks interesting, anyone else kinda hoping this plays like a FPS version of FTL?

I can't watch the video at work, but I am mildly intrigued by the concept of the game.

That said, the name leaves much to be desired. It's either unpronounceable or it's 16c. Either way, it leaves me underwhelmed.

Reminds me old school sprite based FPSs like Doom.

Agayek:
I can't watch the video at work, but I am mildly intrigued by the concept of the game.

That said, the name leaves much to be desired. It's either unpronounceable or it's 16c. Either way, it leaves me underwhelmed.

notch has said he's just calls it 10 to the c

stormshot:
notch has said he's just calls it 10 to the c

But... but he's a programmer! Why would he visit such blasphemy upon that innocent hexadecimal number?! That's just not right.

Will there be... crouch jump?
That would make me do a... couch dump

Heh, he'll probably leave it unfinished and shitty to some other guy to fix so... Call me unimpressed.

Well, at this rate, we'll have a AAA-looking title from Mojang by about 2045. Not that I'm complaining, that gun sounds like a lot of fun, it's just interesting to see how this game is just a step above the graphical masterpiece of Minecraft.

I could see a few mods turning this into an intense XCOM shooter >_>.

One that would actually be relevant to the core material unlike the real one being made.

TheKasp:
Heh, he'll probably leave it unfinished and shitty to some other guy to fix so... Call me unimpressed.

Oh did he make another game?

I'm just trying to figure out which one you were talking about.

Obviously not Minecraft, considering it cost me something like 10 bucks and had hundreds of hours of my life sucked into it.

I googled but came up short.

It..looks like half-life by way of Doom. And the gameplay honestly looks kind of shit. Is notch out of his skull? Or does he expect that his rabid fan army will gobble up game in which they can count the pixels?

theultimateend:

Obviously not Minecraft, considering it cost me something like 10 bucks and had hundreds of hours of my life sucked into it.

You might have enjoyed it.

He still left it shitty and unfinished to some other guy to fix.

TheKasp:

theultimateend:

You might have enjoyed it.

He still left it shitty and unfinished to some other guy to fix.

You are probably right.

I was the only person who liked it.

I feel bad for him, shame it never took off with some sort of critical acclaim, massive sales, and a forum bustling with activity.

Had so much promise :/. We really got screwed by this guy. I want some quality games that work, like Command and Conquer 4 or Naughty Bear.

theultimateend:

You are probably right.

I was the only person who liked it.

I feel bad for him, shame it never took off with some sort of critical acclaim, massive sales, and a forum bustling with activity.

Had so much promise :/. We really got screwed by this guy. I want some quality games that work, like Command and Conquer 4 or Naughty Bear.

Did I insult you by stating the obvious (That Notch left MC unfinished)?
Do you want to prove me wrong in a clearly subjective statement that it is shitty?

Did I in any of my statements say that it is impossible to like the game? Or that people should dislike it? That Notch scammed people out of their money? I mean, he put it up for sale when it was in alpha state, that it was unfinished was widely known when people bought it so yeah, I can't call him out on selling an unfinished game.

What the hell is your problem?

Mr.Squishy:
It..looks like half-life by way of Doom. And the gameplay honestly looks kind of shit. Is notch out of his skull? Or does he expect that his rabid fan army will gobble up game in which they can count the pixels?

I'm pretty sure this is just to show people that he's made some progress on the game. There's obviously going to be a lot more stuff and it looks more like test run for the lighting rather than anything else.

Mr.Squishy:

But that is it. His rabid fan army will gobble that up. In the eyes of too many Notch seems to be some kind of gaming Jesus and I really can't comprehend it.

He could shit in 1000 boxes and would find people who would pay if he'd shat in 1000 more.

TheKasp:
What the hell is your problem?

Says the guy who can't take a joke and flips out like a total psycho.

theultimateend:

I did 'flip out'? I am more or less confused.

Why can't you take the most obvious critique of your 'favorite game'? I know that I can rip every one of my beloved games a new one, I don't need to qoute every person who says something negative with a pseudointellectual "You must be talking about anther game because I liked that one" because newsflash - there is no perfect game.

And in terms of perfect game: MC is far from being perfect and there are thousand of valid points of criticism towards it, many of those are promises Notch made and did never hold up to them.

May I quote a thread topic that spits up on a google search:

"Which of Notch's promised features do you want Jeb to do?"

And please, don't hide your unreasonable defensive attitude behind nonexistant jokes.

TheKasp:

theultimateend:

I did 'flip out'? I am more or less confused.

Why can't you take the most obvious critique of your 'favorite game'? I know that I can rip every one of my beloved games a new one, I don't need to qoute every person who says something negative with a pseudointellectual "You must be talking about anther game because I liked that one" because newsflash - there is no perfect game.

And in terms of perfect game: MC is far from being perfect and there are thousand of valid points of criticism towards it, many of those are promises Notch made and did never hold up to them.

May I quote a thread topic that spits up on a google search:

"Which of Notch's promised features do you want Jeb to do?"

And please, don't hide your unreasonable defensive attitude behind nonexistant jokes.

Well to clear up some confusions.

My favorite game is actually Breath of Fire 3, shortly after that would be Pokemon, and after that is Sim City. But I appreciate the guesswork.

Minecraft was "finished" at multiple stages. The decision to continually add to it beyond the creative system was entirely optional. No game is ever truly "finished", the moment they started adding more it became an open system without any closure outside of subjectively just saying "It's done now."

Yep, I'm aware that Jeb is a cool dude. I follow him on Twitter. Humorously I don't follow notch, but that's more an oversight, just never remember to do so.

There are a thousand points of criticism for every game ever made, and most of them are valid.

Yoshi's Island is a daunting monolith of beauty that melts my heart every time I play it, I could still mount many criticisms against it. Yet it still ranks as the pinnacle of popular gaming to me.

YET you'll also notice its not listed as one of my top three favorite games.

ANYWHO, I thought humorously pointing out that everything could be said about anything from your points would work. That didn't work so hopefully a more direct approach will.

I'm not invested in MC, as mentioned I spent less than my ToGo's bill for today on it, it got me hundreds of hours of entertainment, money off the youtubes, and a great introductory tool for bringing family into video games. Is it perfect? No.

Is anything, even the electron, perfect? No.

So after that its just a matter of examining it relative to its partners and in that respect Minecraft is a remarkably modular experience and that modularity is where it gets its power and popularity.

Mr.Squishy:

I'm pretty sure this is an early release,

I'm not that much of a fan of minecraft and I have to say, I don't think I'm going to buy this, either. It doesn't bring anything new to the table, and it looks like arse.

Also how the hell do you pronounce the name?

Mr.Squishy:

It is at least worth noting that he has only been working on this game for a short while. This is pre-alpha footage and his sharing it with us is more about transparency and excitement for what he has made than it is about showing us something playable.

ResonanceSD:

I pronounce it 'Oxtasy' to rhyme with 'Ecstasy'

I'm willing to wait and see about its quality - let's face it, a pre-release video of Minecraft wouldn't have anyone champing at the bit to buy it either!

Flatfrog:

ResonanceSD:

I pronounce it 'Oxtasy' to rhyme with 'Ecstasy'

See I just can't stand pretentiousness in gaming. The fact that the central gimmick of the game has you interacting with a 16 bit computer is yet another layer of faff that isn't necessary. This isn't about making a game, it's about notch showing off.

Those light effects should be on Minecraft. Other then that it looks ok, the scenario and characters do need a shitload of work though

Sooo... can anyone explain what exactly the 16 bit thing allows you to do? Preferably using small words :3

It looks like old style Quake, but what this game will need is incredibly wacky and fun weapons/tools. I believe a pickaxe and brick gun are needed.

bliebblob:
Sooo... can anyone explain what exactly the 16 bit thing allows you to do? Preferably using small words :3

I think it's there to replace a menu. Because you know, people showing off is better than people making good games.

Well...

Basically.... I think this video shouldn't have been made. The graphics is all it's showing, and they're all sorts of awful. And a generic gun of some kind....
I hope all Notch wanted to show us was that the game engine is actually running, and nothing else.

ResonanceSD:
See I just can't stand pretentiousness in gaming. The fact that the central gimmick of the game has you interacting with a 16 bit computer is yet another layer of faff that isn't necessary. This isn't about making a game, it's about notch showing off.

I agree with this. This project is in danger of disappearing up its own back-side pretty rapidly and the current plan includes a monthly subscription for multi-player. Mmmmhmm....

The 16-bit CPU in the game is a fully emulated processor which has to be programmed with assembly language. I'll just type that again - assembly language. The last time I used this was, oh, around 1984/85 when writing ZX Spectrum games. It's about as close as you can get to actual CPU instructions without coding in binary itself.

In theory you could download and use code written by the community but surely that defeats the point of this compiler emulator game.

The coding geek in me doffs my hat at the sheer.. madness.. of it and it will have a dedicated following when it comes out. I think I will be able to count that community on the number of beer cans in my fridge which ranges at any given time between 0 and 24. Unless, of course, the beer is actually in an unresolved quantum state and only opening the fridge and observing the beer collapses the wave function and forces the cans into a defined state of reality.

Schrodinger's beer.

If that's how you view beer, you'll love Notch's game :)

(Guide to assembly language in Notch's game here - http://0x10cwiki.com/wiki/Assembly_beginner%27s_guide )

First person FTL?

Dealing with boarding parties and ship maintenance in first person maybe? Just a guess.

I have no idea how to pronounce the game's name, what the hell I was watching, or why it was relevent.

I'm much more interested in hearing wtf ever happened to Scrolls. Its like aside from the big publicity the law suit gave it, its never been seen again.

KoudelkaMorgan:
I have no idea how to pronounce the game's name, what the hell I was watching, or why it was relevent.

I'm much more interested in hearing wtf ever happened to Scrolls. Its like aside from the big publicity the law suit gave it, its never been seen again.

Follow the mojang devs making it on twitter. its in a working state and there is alpha and beta testing+matches going on.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here