Telltale Plans to Release The Walking Dead Season Two This Year

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Telltale Plans to Release The Walking Dead Season Two This Year

Get ready for another zombie-fueled emotional roller coaster in fall 2013.

Telltale Games' The Walking Dead has been a highly successful venture; its depiction of how everyday people struggle in a world infested with zombies has earned it several awards and nominations. We've already learned that a second season of episodic content was on the horizon well before the first season was even finished, but now there's an end date in sight: season two of The Walking Dead is planned for a fall 2013 release.

Telltale CEO Dan Connors originally stated that the company was "aiming for fall of next year" for its release, but Game Informer clarified the date by obtaining the following comment: "The current estimated release window for Season Two of The Walking Dead is for fall of 'this' year (2013), and not 'next' year (2014) as has been reported after a recent interview. We apologize for any confusion and thank you and all of our fans for your continued excitement for Telltale's series."

In the meantime, fans of the series can eventually look forward to some additional Walking Dead content in the interim, according to story consultant Gary Whitta. He recently said that "there may very well be more Walking Dead from Telltale before season two", although he kept quiet on what that content would actually be.

The game is still enjoying the fruits of a successful release, recently picking up a couple of BAFTA awards in the Story and Mobile & Handheld categories.

Source: Game Informer

If you told me at the beginning of last year that my most anticipated game series of 2013 and my GOTY for 2012 was a zombie title, I would have called you crazy :D

All aboard the hype train baby, woo woo!

Eh, maybe I'm pessimistic but seems a bit too soon for me. I'm not sure if they can keep the same level of quality.

But then again, also

I'm not sure if I can handle everything that Telltale can throw at us, so quickly after Season 1.

Cheers Telltale. About time you get the recognition and hype you deserve. Hope this season will be as good as the last.

Sweet, I'm hoping it'll take place some years in the future, with a grown up Clementine as the player character. I doubt that will ever happen though.

Wenseph:
Sweet, I'm hoping it'll take place some years in the future, with a grown up Clementine as the player character. I doubt that will ever happen though.

I dunno, I don't think Clem should be controlled by the player, and as far as I know, the furthest the series has gotten so far is 2 years after the outbreak, so I think a grown up Clem is out of the question timeline wise.

I think Clem should be continuously influenced by the player, so we see how Lee affected her growth as a person in the next game and so on and so on.

I just hope that's enough development time. One of the reasons the Walking Dead caught fire was because nobody expected anything from it, I'm just worried that expectations are going to be too high. But enough cynicism, I'm ready to cry my eyes out Telltale!

This is all very well and good but when are we going to see more Monkey Island? I love the Walking dead as much as the next guy but it can really make you depressed and the same go's for alot of games at the moment. Everything seems to end with heros being killed or failing or winning but lossing something/someone important and while these ending have their place I want something that is fun and that ends on a happy note which = Monkey Island.

if they give more of the same ill be more than happy

Keep that wait short, Telltale.

Please please make sure that it works properly on consoles and that there's no save issues on any platform...

OT: I feel like it's too soon for another rollercoaster of emotions... We need time to recover.

This just episode one or the whole thing? And hopefully this time they won't kill off everyone I like half way through the season. And make the choices actually matter or make a difference.

OniaPL:
Eh, maybe I'm pessimistic but seems a bit too soon for me. I'm not sure if they can keep the same level of quality.

Agreed. I think the first season has already set an unreachable standard, and I don't expect the writers will be able to reproduce a story anywhere near as personal or captivating whilst within the same old setting. The sequel will probably be, at best, a nice try.

To use a somewhat vague comparison, COD4 contains excellent twists on what was, at the time, the stagnant, insipid FPS. But what happened was that we immediately got wise to wham moments and dead protagonists from that point after, and most other shooters couldn't even use the same story techniques without boring and annoying the audience. Basically, it only works once, and yet writers are always tempted to think "well if they liked it the first time, they just want the same thing again!"

For Walking Dead to have a similar emotional impact, its going to have to do something completely different, right down to the tone and atmosphere. That probably means having a lighter situation, and a vastly different central relationship between characters. I suspect that might mean... a bromance! (or more likely, the female equivalent).

I'm kinda nervous about this. The first "season" ended so gash darn perfect, and the relationship between Lee and Clementine was so unique and well done, I can't imagine them replicating that.

Daystar Clarion:

If you told me at the beginning of last year that my most anticipated game series of 2013 and my GOTY for 2012 was a zombie title, I would have called you crazy :D

I don't know,Clarion. With something that effectively almost put me to the point where my thoughts on ever trying watching the TV show Vs the story in the games is like my opinion on the Iron Man movies, (I personally like the movie version of Stark better. The less of an A-hole,more likeable version of Stark in the movies better. At least he looks like a guy who wouldn't be a mindless puppet of the government, and says he's doing this for their own good,when he's just following orders! [looks at Civil War] I....Hate....You.... How is it that Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 did this storyline so much better? I'm sorry,I went on a bit of a tangent there.)this has a good deal to live up to.

Heh, sounds like someone was talking fiscal years and not calendar years.

When did they start this, and how much can they reuse from the last one? Assuming no major engine changes, it doesn't necessarily need a long time in development; a great story can be pumped out in a few months, and I bet they can reuse some graphics. The major factor in development time and money here is going to be new locations.

Then again, maybe an updated engine will be less buggy. I'd put up with a delay for that.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. I wasn't a bot a hundred posts ago, I wasn't a bot on my post immediately before this one in a different thread, and I'm not one now. I don't mind ads, which these captchas clearly are, but it seems a bit misleading to say that they're primarily for preventing bots; were that really the case, they'd only be required for the first 5-10 posts.

GamerMage:

Daystar Clarion:

I don't know,Clarion. With something that effectively almost put me to the point where my thoughts on ever trying watching the TV show Vs the story in the games is like my opinion on the Iron Man movies, (I personally like the movie version of Stark better. The less of an A-hole,more likeable version of Stark in the movies better. At least he looks like a guy who wouldn't be a mindless puppet of the government, and says he's doing this for their own good,when he's just following orders! [looks at Civil War] I....Hate....You.... How is it that Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 did this storyline so much better? I'm sorry,I went on a bit of a tangent there.)this has a good deal to live up to.

I have no clue what you just said.

No, really.

Daystar Clarion:

GamerMage:

I have no clue what you just said.

No, really.

Removing the bizarre tangent, this post reads:

I don't know,Clarion. With something that effectively almost put me to the point where my thoughts on ever trying watching the TV show Vs the story in the games is like my opinion on the Iron Man movies, [...] this has a good deal to live up to.

My best attempt at a translation: "The first TWD game is better than the show, like how Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 was better than the Iron Man movies. It's gonna be tough for the sequel to live up to that."

I'm not really sure what it has to do with the post of yours he was quoting, though.

P.S. Thanks

I hope it'll have the option to invert the Y-axis of the camera. I just started playing episode 1 and that's my main gripe with it so far.

Well this is good news to most of us but I'm also excited about that other Walking Dead game just as much.

maninahat:

OniaPL:

Agreed. I think the first season has already set an unreachable standard, and I don't expect the writers will be able to reproduce a story anywhere near as personal or captivating whilst within the same old setting. The sequel will probably be, at best, a nice try.

To use a somewhat vague comparison, COD4 contains excellent twists on what was, at the time, the stagnant, insipid FPS. But what happened was that we immediately got wise to wham moments and dead protagonists from that point after, and most other shooters couldn't even use the same story techniques without boring and annoying the audience. Basically, it only works once, and yet writers are always tempted to think "well if they liked it the first time, they just want the same thing again!"

For Walking Dead to have a similar emotional impact, its going to have to do something completely different, right down to the tone and atmosphere. That probably means having a lighter situation, and a vastly different central relationship between characters. I suspect that might mean... a bromance! (or more likely, the female equivalent).

Also my feelings. It will be hell hard to reproduce that experience.

Maybe they should try a different direction and give a certain character vampiric superpowers and the time stop ability and she would go "MUDAMUDAMUDAMUDA!" on the zombies.

Joking aside, in the chance that they succeed in making a good sequel, I think it would be cool to play a female character this time.

Daystar Clarion:

And if you had told me that one of the most engaging story arcs that I'd see in years would come from a child character that you were tasked to protect, I would have backhanded you.

..Well not really, but still.

Casual Shinji:
I'm kinda nervous about this. The first "season" ended so gash darn perfect, and the relationship between Lee and Clementine was so unique and well done, I can't imagine them replicating that.

I can understand that...

Regardless, I am looking forward to what they can come up with. They've already surprised me once.
In the meantime I'll try to be hesitant about immediately comparing it to its predecessor.

Good stuff - if it even manages to come close to the first season, we should be alright.

I'm guessing that they will be following the same format and autumn (to give it it's proper name) will be the release date for the first episode of the second season, not the whole thing. Of course that would mean this time around I would have to sit through the agonising wait between episodes that I missed out on the first time around.

Daystar Clarion:

Wenseph:

I dunno, I don't think Clem should be controlled by the player, and as far as I know, the furthest the series has gotten so far is 2 years after the outbreak, so I think a grown up Clem is out of the question timeline wise.

I think Clem should be continuously influenced by the player, so we see how Lee affected her growth as a person in the next game and so on and so on.

Eh, we've done that. And I can't stick a little girl again for another 10 hours. The braver decision would be to push on until Clem makes a viable protagonist, and then have our influences from Season 1 affect what's happened to her in the mean time and affect the range of personality we can display in her in the second season.

It'd be a logistical fucking nightmare I'm sure, but then other developers have done more impressive things with choice than Season 1 did, and they had an actual 'game' game surrounding it as well.

I'd be happy with this but knowing their release schedule it will be "delayed until later this year...released on December 31st" then every episode will be "monthly" when in reality it will be "one month and 29 days later". Still gonna buy it regardless though.

YESH

ALL OF MY MONEY TELLTALE, ALL OF IT

However, please try to have a more reliable release schedule.

And no, "when we feel like it" isn't a good answer >.>

Honestly I wouldn't mind the wait. Mainly because I'm afraid of this being a rushed cash in on the popularity of the first. I hope it isn't but I've been burned too many times not to be suspicious.

somebody warm up the feelcoaster, it's gonna be the year of the sads

It'll take that long to recover from season 1, god dammit Lee it should have been me.Hope you play a different party and just find Clem.I will not willing play unless she is safe <_<

I wish they'd wait a little bit more and give us some Sam and Max instead... It's been quite a long time since I last got my insanity shots.

Personally I want them to take as long as they need to get it right. If they rush to capitalise on the success of the first series, and end up ruining it... that would suck mammoth cock. Mammoth. Don't do eet Telltale!

Suppose they plan to release them it in episodes again eh? I Really hate that method.

Dammit, I was hoping they'd do another Sam & Max season... it's been like 2 years already

My emotions are ready for the next season. I'm so pumped!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here