The Bat Is Back in Batman: Arkham Origins

Pages 1 2 NEXT

A new Arkham is on the way, and a new studio is making it.

After years of waiting, gamers will finally have the opportunity to discover what dark forces drive Bruce Wayne's obsessive war on crime in Batman: Arkham Origins, a new addition to the hit Arkham series set years before the events of Arkham Asylum and Arkham City. The game will follow the adventures of a "young, unrefined" Batman as he encounters many of his supervillain enemies for the very first time!

Of interesting note is the fact that Arkham Origins is being developed by Warner Bros. Games Montreal rather than Rocksteady Studios, the developer of the first two games in the franchise. But not to worry - WB Montreal has "full access to Rocksteady's custom modified Unreal engine to capture the look and feel of the Arkhamverse," according to Game Informer, and is being creatively directed by Eric Holmes, whose CV includes The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction and, perhaps more encouragingly, Prototype.

The Game Informer cover reveals that Deathstroke is one of the unsavory sorts that Batman will face in the game, and is otherwise about what you'd expect: a burly man with deep-rooted psychological problems and a flying rodent costume, who looks like he's just itching to lay a beatdown on someone. As for the plot, I would think that the "Origins" bit would tell you all you really need to know, but the good news is that you won't have to wait long for the details if that's your thing: Batman: Arkham Origins is set for release on October 25 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii U and PC.

Source: Game Informer

Andy Chalk:
But not to worry - WB Montreal has "full access to Rocksteady's custom modified Unreal engine to capture the look and feel of the Arkhamverse," according to Game Informer, and is being creatively directed by Eric Holmes, whose CV includes The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction and, perhaps more encouragingly, Prototype.

Well that's somewhat of a relief. I was getting all kinds of worried when I first heard Rocksteady wasn't going to be doing it.

I still am worried, though. As I really loved the 2 Arkham games. I can't help but be interested in this one. Although it is kinda lame they went the Origin route.

What drives his war on crime?

Hmmm, I bet it might have something to do with his parents dying in front of hi-

Unless they retconned it.

Sounds interesting. If the next consoles are coming out around November, I wonder if it'll come over to to PS4 and NextXbox?

I've also read that there is an accompanying game for handhelds;

"Alongside the console game though, Warner Bros. has also announced a handheld title, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate. The game, which will be released on PS Vita and 3DS again on October 25, is set after the events of Arkham Origins and is being developed by Armature Studio, the company that was founded by several of the brains behind the Metroid Prime trilogy. With this in mind, it's not too surprising to find it described as a "2.5-D Metroid-style exploration action game". IGN

I must say, despite, or even in fact, because of my love for the Arkham games, I do have a little bit of worry, especially with the change in dev team, but I do have hope that WB Montreal can continue Rocksteady's excellent work.

thaluikhain:

Hmmm, I bet it might have something to do with his parents dying in front of hi-

*SLAP*
MY PARENTS ARE DEEEAAAAAAD!

Andy Shandy:
I must say, despite, or even in fact, because of my love for the Arkham games, I do have a little bit of worry, especially with the change in dev team, but I do have hope that WB Montreal can continue Rocksteady's excellent work.

Just think about something else until the gameplay trailer comes out.

"What drives his war on crime"

Doesn't everyone and their bat know that by now?

So i wonder how they will roll with this. Any word on a sequel on Arkham city though?

At first I was like =)

But then I was like =(

Oh well...
I don't really have anything more to say about it.
Arkham Asylum and City were masterpieces

Hopefully this new game doesn't... uh, what's the technical term? Blow chunks? Yeah we'll go with that.

DVS BSTrD:

Andy Shandy:

Just think about something else until the gameplay trailer comes out.

That I will do!

TO THE BATLOG!

...whoops, of course I meant...

TO THE BACKLOG!

DVS BSTrD:

thaluikhain:

*SLAP*
MY PARENTS ARE DEEEAAAAAAD!

I prefer this one myself:

Because nobody knows Batman's origins, right? It's not like he's the most popular/saturated hero right now, after all.

Everyone was worried about Arkham City, and it turned out fantastic, so i'm not worried about this as much as others.

Sure the origin story has been done to death, but not so much in games, so it should be interesting.

New, in house studio (that's yet to publish a single game)? Check
Reusing assets from the previous developer? Check
Constant references to previous (but not current) developer's work? Check
Paper announcement with no actual footage? Check
Prequel? Check

Oh dear. Call me cynical, but I'm not holding much hope for this one, it sounds like a cost cutting measure or a power play within Warner Bros rather than a 'lets make good games' decision.

If it proves me wrong I'd be delighted. But it's not like we've never seen this pattern before.

Arkham City was released around the same time of year. The release date is very helpful to me personally because it is in time for me to get it for my fiancée for her birthday.

I find The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction waaaay more encouraging than Prototype.

Arkhamverse seems a bit pretentious. It's only two games worth, it doesn't deserve to be a 'verse yet.

Longstreet:
"What drives his war on crime"

Doesn't everyone and their bat know that by now?

So i wonder how they will roll with this. Any word on a sequel on Arkham city though?

I know it's a tired point by now, but where exactly would they go from Arkham City?

So what's the connection with Arkham? Was bats Parents now killed outside the brand newly opened asylum? Perhaps a young bats goes loopy and is sent to Arkham, or does th first bat mobile break fraking down on ark-fekin-hams newly layed car park. This has all the smell of a lazy cash in.

Woah woah hold your horses there. No Rocksteady? Any excitement I had for this game dropped like a rock from that sentence. Urgh.

Well... I would've preferred Arkham 3. You know, the one that all of those beautiful Easter Eggs in Arkham City was pointing to? I'll wait for the trailer, but I'm not as excited as I should be when I think new addition to the Arkhamverse. At least a game wherein Deathstroke is the main antagonist is more original than another Joker one.

So this potentially has freed up Rocksteady to pursue another route, perhaps one that continues the series instead of just a prequel.
Hope its not rushed though.

It's one thing to not expect the best game in the world, but to constantly bash them since they're a new studio? This is why publishers don't give new ideas and people chances, because not even we do, it seems.

Kinda sad that Rocksteady isnt making it but I guess it gives them a chance to spread their wings, bastards make a good game.

However, anyone who worked on Ultimate Destruction is a goodum in my books, that game was stupidly fun.

Hm...Not excited if I'm being honest. The Rocksteady team knew their Batman lore, and it was projected in their work. Perhaps this new team do as well, but I'm sceptical and don't really see the need for a change in dev team.

And Batman's origin has been done already, I don't see the reason to go back and do it again. Part of the appeal of the Arkham games was that it didn't need to tell the origin story, it could focus on new stories. If this is about Joker, then I'll be visibly annoyed. If they wanted to bring him back, why kill him in the first place?

red alert
it sounds like arkham logo slapped on quick buck production.

Hmmmmm, weird vibes from this one. Different devs, different writers and an origin story? HMMMMMMMMMMMM. *Twirls mustache*

thaluikhain:

Unless they retconned it.

Doubtful... given they already showed it in Asylum and you visit the spot in City, I think it is the first steps he takes. Besides the sheer shitstorm they would get for retconning THAT would be insane, but funny as hell though.

VoidWanderer:
Doubtful... given they already showed it in Asylum and you visit the spot in City, I think it is the first steps he takes. Besides the sheer shitstorm they would get for retconning THAT would be insane, but funny as hell though.

It would be yeah. Though, even if they include it, they might go with a "bold new take" on it, with similar results.

The Arkham games are both in my top 5 of this generation but I'm not exactly holding my breath for this one. I can't imagine this new studio will be able to make a remotely comparable Rocksteady Batman game. They'd be better off trying their own style, as it is very rare that a copy can be as good as the original.

...so am I the only one that wished the Batman Games let you control some one else? I mean the Catwoman sequences in Arkham City were legitimately my favorite part of the game. Not only was she more fun to control (imo), she's also a much more likeable character.

The thing about Batman is... Well, he's Batman. Out of all the complex and memorable characters in Comics, he's easily one of the most boring and shallow characters out there. Catwoman, Robin, hell, even Nightwing is much more interesting and likeable than the sod with the big boots. He doesn't kill, and his parents died. That's pretty much the sum total of his character. Any character conflict he's exposed to comes down to that. Either someone confronts him with his dead parents, or they put him in a position trying to make him break his one rule(no killing).

Long story short, I'm really not that interested in this, at this point. Give us the chance to play other characters, though, and I might be.

So this studio made a Hulk game whereby you smash stuff and kill people to win, and Prototype whereby you smash stuff and kill people to win?

Who the hell thought it would be a good a idea to let them make a god damn Batman game? Especially one that seems like it's going for a focus on narrative.

At least it should look and run brilliantly, seeing as they are using Rocksteady's customised UR3 engine. The other 2 games were technically very good.

Wow. Enough freaking origin stories for western super heroes, please.

Everyone has already known them for so many years and seen it done so many times. :|

While I am sad that it looks like we won't get a follow-up on all those sequelizing hints from City, this does look interesting. The change of company and loss of the original writers does alarm me, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now. I'll put it on my 'to watch' list.

Also, I have to ask, where does Arkham play into this? I mean, Deathstroke isn't exactly the portait of a well-adjusted citizen, but from what little I know of him he doesn't have the flamboyant madness necessary to warrant a cell in good ol' Arkham. Are they actually going to fit the asylum into this, or is it just turning into something they're obligated to put in the title?

Oh boy, an origin story. For Batman. Yay. Do they really need to make an entire game for that? I mean it's not that complicated, his parents are deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaad.
Now what the developers should really be working on is Aquaman: Atlantis Asylum.

Andy Chalk:

and a flying rodent costume,

Bats aren't rodents.

I find it somewhat distressing that the game releases so soon after announcement. Will they have enough time to produce a proper game, or was the marketing done this way intentionally?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here