New Smart Skin Allows Robots to Feel

New Smart Skin Allows Robots to Feel

Experimental transistor arrays could give robots the ability feel with remarkable precision.

New research into pressure generated electricity has resulted in a way to create a grid of transistors that could give machines an incredibly fine sense of touch. Piezoelectricity is the name of the game - that's the kind of electricity generated when force is applied to a few select solid materials. By combining tiny nanowires and piezotronic transistors into a grid-like array, the scientists created a clear, flexible sheet that could fit over a robotic limb like skin. That "skin" would feed back through nearly microscopic wires to a computer chip that can translate those signals into movements - effectively simulating a sense of touch. The arrays of transistors are called "taxels," and they're the big step towards making robots able to feel.

Zhong Lin Wang, the leader of the team of researchers at Georgia Tech who have been working on taxel arrays, told TechNewsDaily that "When we [humans] touch fire, we know it's hot." This technology, said Wang, "can allow robots to have that human sense - in other words, make robots more like humans." Wang said that the practical applications for this technology go far beyond robotic senses - they could be used for prosthetics and for 'smart' biometrics - that in addition to knowing your fingerprint, would know how hard you press on the pad, or the exact motions you use to sign your name. "This is the beginning of a new era of technology," said Wang.

Source: TechNewsDaily

Our weekly science show, the Geekend Update, will keep you prepared for the inevitable robot uprising. Join us each Saturday.

But can it love? :(

Also, that much closer to Sex-bots!

Just once I'd like to read one of these articles without any references to Skynet or some sort of Robot apocalypse, after a while it gets grating.

Either way, it seems like an interesting technology, maybe with a bit of tweaking it could work on people with a lack of touch, I mean there are people that simply have that sense as really underdeveloped, and assuming there's a resugent strain of leprosy this'd probably come in handy.

I'd see this as more useful to phones than robots right now - Touch filtering, pressure, and precision and knowing the differences between skin, a touch pen, and other surfaces running across it would be seen as a useful everyday application compared to the applications in the article. Also, since it was made by an academic institution, that means use of the tech would be more open and possibly not as costly as compared to, say, Wacom's pressure-sensitive touchscreens.

In fact, imagine using a tablet where you and the tablet both feel what you are using to create art - If you use a brush, the tablet will draw according to how the brush strokes, and you get a feedback that feels like a brush as it is a brush instead of a touch pen. (Don't use paint, though.) Digital art would take a leap in this situation, and that tech might have just as much made it into a reality.

AxelxGabriel:

But can it whistle "Pop goes the weasel"?
And understand why we cry?

http://youtu.be/nQ-ggzfdsMs

Anyone else think of this poor robot from the Simpsons when you saw this?

You don't have to joke about a robot apocalypse everytime an advancement in robotics is made OP. Seriously, look at all of the posts about robotics and they all end with the same damn joke.

Aaaand yet another Star Trek technology has come true.

Only a matter of hours now until we get our teleporters.

Josh12345:
Just once I'd like to read one of these articles without any references to Skynet or some sort of Robot apocalypse, after a while it gets grating.

Xiado:
You don't have to joke about a robot apocalypse everytime an advancement in robotics is made OP. Seriously, look at all of the posts about robotics and they all end with the same damn joke.

Yeah, I get where you guys are coming from. I really wish the guys writing these articles would catch on and a be a bit more...

SELF-AWARE

AxelxGabriel:

...you beat me to it.

OT: I have to wonder as to whether or not it can feel pressure. If it can't, then how the hell will I be able to cause pain or the equivalent thereof to our future oppressors?

R.Nevermore:

It reminded me of an old outer limits episode.

captcha=screw driver ;)

Now when the robot rebellion happens we can use this new feel skin to torture them for information. Any problem caused by science can be solved by science.

The first thing I thought when I read this article was how it could be used to help those with prosthetic hands to feel again. Looks like the future is looking bright for Deus Ex.

AxelxGabriel:

That was the exact first thing I thought.

tehpiemaker:
The first thing I thought when I read this article was how it could be used to help those with prosthetic hands to feel again. Looks like the future is looking bright for Deus Ex.

And that was the second.
Nothing more for me here.

tehpiemaker:

thats where my head went too. its really going to help with that. its one of those gateway technologies that will take prosthetics from repairing damage to augmentation

My first thought: Wow, this means that people with robot limbs will soon be able to feel again if we manage to connect the limbs to nerves!

First comment: Sex bots!

Dammit people XD

Worgen:
Now when the robot rebellion happens we can use this new feel skin to torture them for information. Any problem caused by science can be solved by science.

and we have to make it integrated into their internal power structure so that they can't deactivate it.

Just as long as they can't feel emotions or have sentient thoughts.

This is amazing but it does bring the question, if a robot can feel then can it love?
somehow i can't shake the feeling of someone eventually making a robot so human-like, that you can use it to replace someone and nobody would notice...... i think I'm giving myself paranoia fuel.

R.Nevermore:

I thought i was the only one this came to mind to after a few minutes from reading the article.

still question why anyone would deliberately decided to build an assistant bot that could feel pain in a place that it is likely to get injured.

Then i think of hedonism bot from thinking of this.

AxelxGabriel:

Great, another partner that men are simply unable to please. Of course a robot would likely be more willing to tell us exactly what we're doing wrong so it might be good practice.

Screw robot using this!
Instead think space suits!
Currently the average astronaut has to use custom fitted gloves which reduce his/her manual dexterity to that of 3 year old.
And they still bruise the fingers.
Now imagine instead a robot hand, with feed back to real hands about 2 inches behind them.
It'll be a major step forward in EVA.

Great now they can feel the pain of manual labor

This is probably the only news regarding robots I've ever actually liked.

Usually it's some boring announcement about how they've made AI for humanoid robots (which we don't actually need), but this could actually be used in human augments, so it's a huge step forward.

I... am actually terrified. Not in the way that they could become self aware or anything, but FEELING...

That's just a scary concept to me.

Do not worry that no matter what, when ever the robot's are touched by humans they get the pain.exe response and start running their "burning hatred" applications.

We are sure the programmers will find the source of these bugs soon.

Am I the one thinking about using this in robotic prostetics.

Augmentations with feelings? Eh?!

TheNaut131:

Josh12345:

Xiado:

Yeah, I get where you guys are coming from. I really wish the guys writing these articles would catch on and a be a bit more...

SELF-AWARE

Oh you magnificent bastard you!

Level 7 Dragon:

My thaughts exactly, that could be huge for people who lost theire arms etc.

Besides, its not like they made a discovery that makes a robot rebelion any more likely than it already is, the robots choking us to death will feel that they are squeazing the life from us, thats allXP.

Level 7 Dragon:

We've already come a long way in robotic prosthetics. I believe we developed the technology to have kinesthetics(sp)? Or kine-something. Essentially, the ability to know where your prosthetic limb in question is. Combine this with more articulated controls, better software, smaller computers, longer battery life, more accurate neural interfaces, and the artificial skin that can feel and losing a limb is no longer the major set-back it once was. Admittedly it'll probably take a while before we get all of these working in conjunction... but still!

Angry. Angry, angry, angry. Let me start with asking this; what is the purpose of creating this? If it was about prosthetics alone, then he would have mentioned that first. That really was an afterthought, wasn't it? His first, stupid thought was: "let's give a machine a sense of touch."

Vausch:
My first thought: Wow, this means that people with robot limbs will soon be able to feel again if we manage to connect the limbs to nerves!

First comment: Sex bots!

Dammit people XD

Right?! How many times have I seen an announcement like this and thought, "this bastard is thinking about fucking it RIGHT NOW. Look at his face. He is eying those positive results like a piece of candy. If he bites his lip I'm outta here." The Facebook comments were no exception. I saw one thing that annoyed me far more than the idea of sex bots, which I didn't think was possible... an undying kitten droid. Jesus. Are we so brainlessly afraid of death that we want to make BEING ALIVE obsolete? Yeah, who needs real, beautiful love when you can make your WAIFU and her FUCKING CAT.

Is no one else enraged by this? Annoyed, even? I know every time science makes a leap forward someone uses the Frankenstein comparison, but isn't it apt here at least? This obsession with creating humanoid robots, not for any purpose (there's always weak excuses like "uhhh... less scary to the elderly?") but just to prove we can is so short-sighted and pointless. I'm far from religious and even I find it too much like playing God.

I've never understood the necessity of making a face that falls deep into the uncanny valley with a billion processes to make an eyebrow twitch when we COULD be making all kinds of useful things. The most useful robots won't look like humans... just human-like locomotion would be needlessly excessive. Look at R2-D2. Adorable with the short stature and the little whistles, but more importantly there is no wasted space on its frame. Every one of those blue lines conceals a tool that can be used. I still hold up R2-D2 as the best fictional example I've found of what we SHOULD be working on in robots.

Really, no one made this joke yet.

Hmm interesting-but the real question is,can you fuck it?

OP:Sounds great I just wonder how long it is before it becomes common usage/available to the public-as you always hear about these amazing things and then never hear of them again.

Soon it will be able to imitate Alex Rogan!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here