Codemasters Unveils $190,000 Grid 2 Special Edition

Codemasters Unveils $190,000 Grid 2 Special Edition

The exclusive Grid 2: Mono Edition comes with special packaging, a PlayStation 3 console, a Grid 2-branded helmet and a street-legal BAC Mono supercar.

You're not just a gamer, you're a collector. $150 for the BioShock Infinite Songbird Edition? No problemo. You've got that huge Skyrim dragon sitting on a table, too. And the GTAV edition with the bag and the cap? Already preordered. But now Codemasters is here to separate the men from the boys with a special edition of Grid 2 that comes with a real live car - the BAC Mono, a British-built machine with a carbon fiber body and four-cylinder engine generating 280 bhp that takes it from 0 to 60 in less than three seconds and tops out at a mind-melting 170 MPH.

That might as well be all, but it's not. The bundle also comes with a Grid 2-branded Bell Racing helmet, Grid 2 racing suit, boots and gloves all made to measure, a day at the BAC factory which includes a tour and time spent with technicians on car customizations, a PS3 console and of course special-edition packaging for the game.

Codemasters says this is the most expensive special edition videogame ever created and I certainly wouldn't challenge the claim. Only one is being made and it's only available in Europe, but it is street legal so you could actually drive it to work - but carpooling is obviously out. And while the standard wait time for a BAC Mono is 14 months, the purchaser of the Grid 2 Mono Edition will take delivery in just six months.

The Grid 2 Mono Edition is up for preorder now (seriously) at Game.co.uk. Grid 2 comes out on May 28 in North America and May 31 in Europe for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC. Insurance, for both the car and your life, is most definitely not included.

There... there are no words...

I just...

VoidWanderer:
There... there are no words...

I just...

Just remember, for everything loved in the world, somewhere out there is ALWAYS someone who loves somthing more than us.

Without a doubt this is going to be sold, even if it saddens us deeply.

This sure puts those boring obligatory special edition statues to shame.

Only $190,000, huh? Too bad I don't live in Europe.

The Game listing for it cracks me right up.

"Only £125000.00

Free UK Delivery"

Hahahaha

And the Product Summary section is just this -> http://img.game.co.uk/images/content/SpecialEditions/GRID2BacMonoLarge.jpg

Oh, and "Please note: prices in GAME Stores may differ."

it doesn't come in black?

NO SALE!!!

Jesus. Talk about a toy for the kids of the 1-Percent. If I were there I'd be using the car more than the game. The game becomes almost pointless at that point, since most of the time you're buying these games to drive the cars that you'll never have in real life.

Hey.

Hey Codemasters.

Does the $190,000 edition come with an in-game cockpit view on the PC?

Because that's the condition for my purchase of any edition at all.

Well, it's obviously a pr stunt but why not? they have the cash to buy one and i'm sure it will sell.

admittedly it's surprising to me there's a market for a collector's edition car tacked onto a game, that's a little like winning a house in a cereal box it's just.. unexpected.

I could almost imagine the super rich giving the game as a present and being all like, yeah but wait till you see the collector's item! it's spiffy!
the sad truth is it will probably end up in someone's garage and never be raced as a one of a kind item.

I can just see some sugar daddy telling his wife he's going to get their kid a PS3 and a racing game but keep "the thing that comes in the box" for himself. Deal?

My God, that is awesome! I wish I had the money for that!

I just checked and a base spec BAC Mono is just over £100,000. Considering how much extra they throw into the Grid edition, £25k extra doesn't seem all that bad :)

I wouldn't buy that if I had billions. That's so fuckin' tacky and disgusting. I wonder what kind of asshole is actually going to buy that thing.

Adam Jensen:
I wouldn't buy that if I had billions. That's so fuckin' tacky and disgusting. I wonder what kind of asshole is actually going to buy that thing.

How is the BAC Mono tacky? :O It's minimalist and aggressive. Though, yeah, then there's that paint scheme...

This is ...quite interesting, the only thing that has more value than this is ...an unopened version of this 30 years from now.

Ok, for 190,000$ we all agree that they're selling the premium-est of the premium editions of a game they possibly can, yes? And yet they want you to play it on a bog-standard PS3? Are you fucking kidding me? For that price it should come with some huge contraption you could set up around the car that turns the car itself into a controller for the game!
But since that's too impractical, I would expect nothing less than a custom PC with a top grade racing wheel, pedals and Oculus Rift or a 3D monitor or something.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh my God... My inner car lover just exploded into pure love...

unstabLized:

Not on the keyboard man.

I've watched top gear enough to know that's an amazing car.

Adam Jensen:

Probably someone that does track days and likes video games and has the money to spare, and yes they exist lots of them. Cant remember how many I have met at track days that talked about different racing games too.

I might have considered it if the Mono had a windshield.

Or if I liked racing cars.

...Or if I liked cars in general.

.....Or if I liked racing games in general.

unstabLized:

This was my reaction. Why are people hating on this? Its a car with a free game, not the other around. Nobody who was thinking of getting this game would then go "Hmm, I should fork over 200 grand for this." Its a rich play toy that some millionaire will buy or a museum might buy it or something.

So thats what it costs to get incar view for Grid 2? ... I have to say thats a bit steep.

I think some of the people commenting on this dont get that its a partnership, not a one of promotional. Sure, the paint job is a one off, but this isnt some gimmick item made to ship a game.

They key thing to consider here is that you're buying a limited edition BAC Mono shipped outside of regular terms, that happens to come with a videogame.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.