Sony Confirms Vita Remote Play For All PS4 Games

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Sony Confirms Vita Remote Play For All PS4 Games

Vita Remote Play

Sony has mandated that all upcoming PS4 games include Remote Play options.

Remote Play was one of the sadly underutilized features of the PSP. In theory it was brilliant; you could connect to your PS3 via Wi-Fi and then use your PSP to play games remotely. That said, it wasn't very well done. Outside of Factor 5's dragon-themed flop Lair, the feature wasn't compatible with many other PS3 games. PS2 games were also off limits, and though it could be used to play PSOne titles the eventual expansion of the PSOne classics library in the PlayStation Store made it increasingly redundant as time went on.

If Sony has its way, this won't be the case for the Vita. Sony has confirmed that it has issued a mandate to developers that all upcoming PS4 games must be compatible with the Vita's version of Remote Play. "It's true unless the game requires specific hardware like the [PlayStation 4 Eye]," said Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios boss, Shuhei Yoshida. "It will be great to play PS4 games on PS Vita."

The Vita's Remote Play can already be used with several PS3 games, but nothing as widespread as the mandate being currently being described. An all-encompassing compatibility with PS4 software could, in turn, serve as a significant boon to the Vita, which arguably struggles from a small library of worthwhile software. Buying both a PS4 and a Vita will likely be pricey, of course, but something tells us remote access to PS4 games might be enough to convince some gamers to give Sony's handheld a go.

Source: Eurogamer

I'm not sure I like this. While I am sure the PS4 and Vita's software is similar enough it is still going to cost developers more capital to churn out already budget-bloated games.

They should offer an incentive to do so. Not an ultimatum.

Sounds great, if it works well its a kick in the nuts for Nintendo. Buying a PS4 and a PS Vita will be a lot more expensive than a Wii U but its a lot more capable and the PS Vita eclipses the Wii U game pad in function.

Depends on how hard it is to implement. If it is easy to implement... why not?
I guess there are plenty of people that would want to continue their game on the toilet or use their PS4 while someone else rules over the TV remote. If they already have both devices, of course.

Other than that... meh, really... it depends.

J Tyran:
Sounds great, if it works well its a kick in the nuts for Nintendo. Buying a PS4 and a PS Vita will be a lot more expensive than a Wii U but its a lot more capable and the PS Vita eclipses the Wii U game pad in function.

The Wii U gamepad has the necessary tech built-in to stream gameplay with less latency that your average HD tv. Are you telling me the Vita has that same tech designed between it and the PS4? Despite the former being nearly two years old and the latter not even out yet? Because in this specific instance, that's the only functionality that matters. A high-tech Vita with laggy PS4 controls is not going to make for much of a controller.

OT: That's brave of Sony, but I don't see it helping much. As long as Remote Play is optional, the only gamers who will feel the need to go for it are the ones who've already bought a Vita. The Vita needs its own damn library of games if Sony want it to do well. Selling it as a £200+ controller is not going to do anything to revive its fortunes.

This was pretty much expected and a really nice boon for those of us who already have a PS Vita. The situation will be even sweeter if by coincidence this means the Vita can also act as a second Playstation 4 controller, which seems likely given how they have added a touch screen to the PS4 controller.

This is bound to interfere with the controls in quite a few games, considering the Vita is lacking in L2 and R2 buttons.

P.S. Thanks

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

J Tyran:

The Wii U gamepad has the necessary tech built-in to stream gameplay with less latency that your average HD tv. Are you telling me the Vita has that same tech designed between it and the PS4?

Yes, the PS4 is designed to stream and receive streams in the background to its main processes. The Vita has high performance Wi-Fi and was designed for remote play, probably with some software updates to make it PS4 capable it should stream PS4 games just fine depending on the quality of the signal and it has enough processing power to decode and play the game in real time with little latency. I have played some PS3 games in close proximity and they are fine, no reason they will not work with the PS4 which is designed around streaming.

Covarr:
This is bound to interfere with the controls in quite a few games, considering the Vita is lacking in L2 and R2 buttons.

The Vita can set up the rear touch pad to be any button or function it needs.

I love that they clearly are ripping off of Nintendo, again. I highly doubt anyone will be using the Vita Remote Play like they would the WiiU Remote Play. Besides, the PS4 has a "Normal" controller as the standard controller, unlike the WiiU. And the PS4/Vita combined is definitely more expensive then the WiiU by itself.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
The Vita needs its own damn library of games if Sony want it to do well. Selling it as a £200+ controller is not going to do anything to revive its fortunes.

^^ This

At their time I didn't bought a PS2 or PS3 (I did had a PSone tho') mainly because "I put all my chips" on the first Xbox and later the 360 but with all the reveal desaster of the Xbone I'm leaning towards the PS4 but I will not buy a PS Vita until it has a decent game library and not because I could need it as a fancy controller

Just so long as it remains optional, that's cool.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
Despite the former being nearly two years old and the latter not even out yet?

Of course, the former was developed with the latter in mind. Just because a console hasn't dropped yet doesn't mean you can't do planning. I know it deflates the super magic mystical special snowflake status of Nintendo a little, but their technology is far from miraculous.

We also know it works pretty well already, because games already exist for it.

J Tyran:

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

J Tyran:

The Wii U gamepad has the necessary tech built-in to stream gameplay with less latency that your average HD tv. Are you telling me the Vita has that same tech designed between it and the PS4?

Yes, the PS4 is designed to stream and receive streams in the background to its main processes. The Vita has high performance Wi-Fi and was designed for remote play, probably with some software updates to make it PS4 capable it should stream PS4 games just fine depending on the quality of the signal and it has enough processing power to decode and play the game in real time with little latency. I have played some PS3 games in close proximity and they are fine, no reason they will not work with the PS4 which is designed around streaming.

How does the battery hold up on the Vita when constantly streaming stuff over wifi? My phone battery takes a hit when I just turn Wi-Fi on, streaming large amounts of content damn near torches the thing. Vita has already got a pretty short battery life, right? I can't imagine constant wi-fi streaming is going to do it a world of good.

Except analogue triggers. You can half press a PS3 or (I would imagine) PS4 L2/R2. You can't half-press a touchpad. Which is actually rather important in things like driving games.

Also, where do your fingers rest if you don't want to press the touchpad and therefore press L2/R2? That touchpad takes up a lot of real estate on the back of the Vita doesn't it? How are you supposed to hold it without setting off the touchpad all the time?

Mr.Mattress:
I love that they clearly are ripping off of Nintendo, again.

Yes, they are ripping off Nintendo by employing a widespread version of technology they started years ago. Funny how most of the cases where someone is ripping off Nintendo involve a heavy amount of time travel.

DVS BSTrD:

I'm not sure how they'd made remote play mandatory for players, honestly. Or why, for that matter.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Except analogue triggers.

We've already seen an analogue equivalent in tech demos via movement along the back. It shouldn't be that hard to simulate things like an accelerator for driving games. Hell, it might actually do it better than analogue triggers do; one of the things I really liked in the PS2 era was the ability to use the right stick as both gas and brake.

Also, where do your fingers rest if you don't want to press the touchpad and therefore press L2/R2? That touchpad takes up a lot of real estate on the back of the Vita doesn't it? How are you supposed to hold it without setting off the touchpad all the time?

I've got pretty big hands, and I'm yet to have this problem with my Vita. I play a lot of games where I've got the back panel assigned to buttons, too. Mostly PSP/PS1 titles, but still. MAYBE other people are having problems, but I have trouble seeing it.

I appreciate your concern, however.

Zachary Amaranth:

Of course, the former was developed with the latter in mind. Just because a console hasn't dropped yet doesn't mean you can't do planning. I know it deflates the super magic mystical special snowflake status of Nintendo a little, but their technology is far from miraculous.

I never claimed otherwise. My point was that the tech in the Gamepad, spartan as it may be, is designed with the explicit purpose of streaming data from the console at a high speed. Pretty sure developer comments and looks under the hood have shown that the Wii U has got dedicated technology to make sure that the Gamepad picks up info with next to no latency. How old or new it is is irrelevant, as long as it functions well.

The Vita is a fundamentally different device running fundamentally different software to the PS4.

Remember that footage of Knack running on the Vita with Remote Play? The framerate looked absolutely terrible.

That's not the Youtube video being laggy, given that Cerny and co are on stage waffling at 30fps. That's the Vita running Knack at a poor framerate. If Remote Play means PS4 games are going to look as jerky and laggy as that, then that's not much of a system seller at all. How would something like Street Fighter work with such a laggy framerate? Or Call Of Duty? Or Bayone-I mean Devil May Cry?

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

How does the battery hold up on the Vita when constantly streaming stuff over wifi? My phone battery takes a hit when I just turn Wi-Fi on, streaming large amounts of content damn near torches the thing. Vita has already got a pretty short battery life, right? I can't imagine constant wi-fi streaming is going to do it a world of good.

J Tyran:

Except analogue triggers. You can half press a PS3 or (I would imagine) PS4 L2/R2. You can't half-press a touchpad. Which is actually rather important in things like driving games.

Pretty much like people have been holding it since the system came out. Look, both sides can argue all day about the pros and cons of the remote play ability of the Vita. Bottom line is it doesn't have to do it as good as the WiiU, it just has to do it well enough to be functional and work. No one will know HOW functional it really is until they either start showing it off, or until someone has both and tests it.

Zachary Amaranth:

Mr.Mattress:

Yes, they are ripping off Nintendo by employing a widespread version of technology they started years ago. Funny how most of the cases where someone is ripping off Nintendo involve a heavy amount of time travel.

Sony invented the GBA Link Cable and developed Four Swords? Wow. The more you know.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Zachary Amaranth:

Mr.Mattress:

Sony invented the GBA Link Cable and developed Four Swords? Wow. The more you know.

Yes and both other console makers stole rumble from Nintendo.

Now for the more important part... explain to me why I should care.

Zachary Amaranth:

Mr.Mattress:

DVS BSTrD:

I'm not sure how they'd made remote play mandatory for players, honestly. Or why, for that matter.

After the Xbone, I don't trust any company to use common sense when it comes to peripherals.

Hmmm, not I got a reason to get a PsVita that doesn't involve SMT games. Still, not a lot of reasons, but if they get off their arse and start publishing some good, worthwhile PsVita games, I might be sold on getting a Ps4 earlier than I plan to.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
Remember that footage of Knack running on the Vita with Remote Play? The framerate looked absolutely terrible.

That's not the Youtube video being laggy, given that Cerny and co are on stage waffling at 30fps. That's the Vita running Knack at a poor framerate.

Keep in mind that this was at an event with a ton of attendees, no doubt cluttering the air with their 3G and Wifi connections trying to keep the rest of the world informed. Almost everything even remotely wireless, regardless of what frequencies it uses, has worse performance in such scenarios than in typical everyday usage.

That said, if this uses Wi-Fi, there's a very good chance it won't keep up with the Wii U gamepad's 1-frame latency. The most important thing they'd have to do is to connect the Vita directly to the PS4, rather than going through the router first, which is definitely possible (that's exactly how the Wii U gamepad does it), but it would require both the PS4 and the Vita to have two wifi devices each (one for general connections, one for remote play). The Wii U gamepad gets away with having only one, since the Wii U itself is the only piece that ever has to connect to the internet.

P.S. Thanks

Like what was being said here, it really depends on how well the ability to stream data from you ps4 across the intertubes works. Laggy and we'll hate it. Not laggy and this will effectively be a pocket ps4 where-ever signal can be found. The fact that the Vita can be on a phone plan may widen that net.

Hopefully this will allow us to easily access video and other media content on the ps4. It could mean a 500GB device in your pocket.

Well, I guess the ps4 will sell at least as well as the Vita.
I'll believe this when I see it. Sony's good about making big promises that don't come true.

Well, I don't mind the idea behind this. Hopefully they manage to get it to work right, as good as the Wii U can.

I don't mind the concept, but I wonder if latency is going to be an issue. Still, worst case scenario is that it works fine on PS4 but runs like crap on the Vita. Not the worst thing in the world.

*insert "Sony taking an idea from Nintendo" comment here*

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Zachary Amaranth:

I never claimed otherwise. My point was that the tech in the Gamepad, spartan as it may be, is designed with the explicit purpose of streaming data from the console at a high speed. Pretty sure developer comments and looks under the hood have shown that the Wii U has got dedicated technology to make sure that the Gamepad picks up info with next to no latency. How old or new it is is irrelevant, as long as it functions well.

The Vita is a fundamentally different device running fundamentally different software to the PS4.

That's not the Youtube video being laggy, given that Cerny and co are on stage waffling at 30fps. That's the Vita running Knack at a poor framerate. If Remote Play means PS4 games are going to look as jerky and laggy as that, then that's not much of a system seller at all. How would something like Street Fighter work with such a laggy framerate? Or Call Of Duty? Or Bayone-I mean Devil May Cry?

Not sure why you think that you need to convince people that Wii U does this better then the vita and ps4. It is a non-issue really. If ps4 can deliver a similar experience it doesn't even have to be better then it wins out in my book. Wii U did not position itself to be at the forefront of game development this generation. In a year or two it will not have the power needed to run third party games. It will, just like the Wii, be the place to go to get your Mario and Zelda fix.

I also feel I should point out that the clip you posted was 1. A camera being held into of a vita filming game play. This accounts for a lot of the jerkiness. 2. It was run a game that was more then likely still in development. 3. Being run on a prototype ps4 using prototype OS software. 4. the frame rate looked fine to me. It is not very scrupulous to try to compare that to a 100% finished product.

I stopped trying to compare Nentendo to Sony and Microsoft. They are not playing the same game anymore. Hell they are barely playing on the same planet.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Zachary Amaranth:

Mr.Mattress:

I'd say it's more like the apps you can get to stream from a pc to a tablet, which predate the Wii U, than it is linking gameboys together.

Covarr:

P.S. Thanks

They can just the back touch pad. Left half for L2 right half for R2. Unless that was supposed to replace the touchpad they have on the PS4 controller.

Father Time:

Covarr:

P.S. Thanks

They can just the back touch pad. Left half for L2 right half for R2. Unless that was supposed to replace the touchpad they have on the PS4 controller.

There are two touch pads (the screen and the back). I'm pretty sure some games would be better at this than others.

While I like the idea to have this as an option, I don't like that they're forcing it on developers. How is this going to reflect on indie developers? Vita is not a part of the PS4 hardware, it just happens to be compatible with the thing. I don't think they should force it.

Depending on how it's implemented this could be a great boon or an utter disaster.

If they're designed to be easily compatible, with merely a few tweaks needed to enable controls and the like I think it's great. More options for the consumer at little to no cost for the developer.

If it takes much more effort though then it could easily turn into a handicap, which'd obviously be bad.

As for those saying they're ripping of Nintendo...

The concept sending a video stream or controls from one device to another device has been around since before Nintendo even existed. Your VCR is capable of remotely streaming to your TV. That old remote in your attic is capable of remotely controlling your TV. This has been a feature of literally half of all media-related devices ever, except now it's being marketed as something special since the device you're streaming to and sending controls from happen to be the same.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

J Tyran:

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

3-5 hours with constant wifi, I often download games while playing another. Depends on how CPU & GPU intensive the game is. Not all that different to the Wii Us gamepad. 3G will kill it in half the time though, no real sense in using 3G for it however. Lag would be a real issue if you tried to play a PS3 or PS4 game on the go, plus the data would chew up fast and be a concern for anyone without unlimited data (not even sure if you can get a plan like that with the 3G version anyway).

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

J Tyran:

Easy, for racing games put the accelerator on the right analogue stick the way racing games did before analogue triggers. Taps or a touch on the touch pad could look behind or change the view. Accidentally touching the pad can be an issue, depends on the size of the gamers hands. Which is always a problem with a handheld, personal comfort is a variable factor. It does have a pair of "finger pads" either size to place your finger tips, some people may find them cramped or too spread out though when others find them comfortable.

Using the Vita as a Wii U style gamepad isn't for everyone, it will be very expensive with the cost of the PS4 and the PS Vita and not everyone will be that interested. Not unless devs can pull some really cool stuff using the capabilities of both machines, the Vita with its gorgeous screen and capacitive multitouch screens and touch pad with its pin point accurate gyros would be a whole new experience over the much cheaper Wii U gamepad. It would be at a huge premium though and unless Vita sales pick up massively devs may not want to bother trying to come u with any special, new or awesome features when using it like that. Its mainly for people that already want or have one really, I cannot see many people dropping £500-600 (depending on PS4 cost) to do something the Wii U can do for £150 (basic model).

Great idea... in theory. If there creating more problems (creating for a system with different internal architecture) just when they've fixed the previous problem to develop for them (The who Cell what-cha-call-it in the PS3).

Mr.Mattress:
I love that they clearly are ripping off of Nintendo, again. I highly doubt anyone will be using the Vita Remote Play like they would the WiiU Remote Play. Besides, the PS4 has a "Normal" controller as the standard controller, unlike the WiiU. And the PS4/Vita combined is definitely more expensive then the WiiU by itself.

Actually Nintendo ripped off the PS3/PSP function that Sony came up with and made it a built in part of their system, Sony has simply decided to make the function compatible with all games on PS4 a requirement.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.