Deus Ex Full-Length Mod Campaign Released

Deus Ex Full-Length Mod Campaign Released

Deus Ex Nihilum mod screen

Thirteen years later, the classic FPS-RPG is still going strong with a fresh dozen hours of content.

The modding scene is one of the greatest boons of PC gaming for creative types. Look no further than Deus Ex for proof: the 13 year old game is still being modded long after the closure of its developer, Ion Storm. The latest contribution is Deus Ex: Nihilum, though to call it a mod would be an understatement. Nihilum provides roughly ten hours of new gameplay, complete with fresh cyberpunk locales and a parallel storyline drenched in conspiracy.

Developer FastGamerr bills the mod as a spiritual expansion pack to the original Deus Ex, maintaining its core components while adding flavor of its own. It's not lacking for flavor, either - Nihilum features a two hour soundtrack, over 2,000 lines of recorded dialogue, and a handful of expansive new maps. In keeping with the spirit of the core game, exploration is rewarded with a host of hidden secrets to add a few more hours of playtime to the campaign.

Nihilum is the result of several years of development from its creator, and its completion marks his departure from the modding community. Owners of Deus Ex can download Nihilum over at ModDB, though you may want to grab some graphical enhancements while you're there (just in case the nostalgia goggles don't do the trick). It's said that every time Deus Ex is mentioned somebody reinstalls it; I'd say there's a good reason in this case.

Source: ModDB

Hey! Something cool didn't get shut down by lawyers! They actually managed to miss one!

kajinking:
Hey! Something cool didn't get shut down by lawyers! They actually managed to miss one!

I guess for now they don't consider Nihilum da foe.

So after reading the headline of the article, I went to my Steam account to see if I still had Deus Ex installed; there it was, resplendent in all of its glory. However; if it had not been installed, I likely would have fallen prey to the idea of re-installing it.

Cognimancer:
It's said that every time Deus Ex is mentioned somebody reinstalls it; I'd say there's a good reason in this case.

I couldn't agree more *starts installing Deus Ex*

OT: It's stuff like this that reminds me why I love my desktop and laptop PC's so much, both to mod myself and check out others work.

Oh goody a new Deus Ex mod and the game is already installed on my computer :D

Oh goody, I just got Deus Ex on GOG!

The name of this mod is a bit strange, though. God out of nothing?

Looks like it's time I re-buy Deus Ex. And I do not do so begrudgingly. It may have aged terribly but it is still an incredible game.

Damn it! Someone mentioned Deus Ex. *sigh* Installing it again.

Downloading it now. It reminds me the Deus Ex Invisible War screenshots from before the developers ruined it for the X-box.

kajinking:

Is Nihilum a copyright protected intellectual property? If it's not, then there's no reason for anyone to sue. Also, I doubt they would've missed it since anything that appears on Mod DB that violates copyrights gets shutdown very quickly.

Jimmy T. Malice:
Oh goody, I just got Deus Ex on GOG!

The name of this mod is a bit strange, though. God out of nothing?

I hope that name actually means something for this mod. Deus Ex's title is very much something that binds the game together;

Yet another game on my post-exam todo list. Let's hope they do something similarly awesome with it.

This looks terrific :D

Well, now I have to purchase Dues Ex...

Who the hell uninstalls Deus Ex? I can't imagine someone saying to themselves "Oh wow, this 720Mb bundle of pure joy is clogging up my hard drive, better make some room." That's just absurd.

Ok, so is this Nihilum any good?

WanderingFool:

You can probably get the full package in the July sale for five or ten dollars. I am 98% sure that most of the mods work with the steam version. Keep in mind that the Steam version is probably a modified version of the GOTY version. Not really that important, but just realize that.

Also, it is always good to be reminded of the days when modding wasn't a criminal offense that deprived publishers and developers of their birthright to push out and sell 5 million copies of rehash annually.

Scrythe:
Who the hell uninstalls Deus Ex? I can't imagine someone saying to themselves "Oh wow, this 720Mb bundle of pure joy is clogging up my hard drive, better make some room." That's just absurd.

Nobody in 2013, that's who. The saying is old.

OT: cooool. But what are the boss fights like? WHAT ARE THE BOSS FIGHTS LIKE?

So nobody knows if this is actually any good.

Yosharian:

Yes, It's pretty good. It's wonky at times, but hey: free game.

Does anyone remember that unofficial Thief 2 Expansion? I'd like to try it again.

Creativename360:

Yosharian:

Does anyone remember that unofficial Thief 2 Expansion? I'd like to try it again.

See the problem is I have kinda high standards, everyone said that TNM was hot shit but I couldn't stand more than a few minutes of that

Must.... Buy.....NOW!

So now to decide where to get it, GOG or steam...

Yosharian:

Creativename360:

Yosharian:

See the problem is I have kinda high standards, everyone said that TNM was hot shit but I couldn't stand more than a few minutes of that

TNM was a nice little distraction, but this is a bit better. Nihilum is a bit more serious, and has better writing and atmosphere in my opinion. The only thing I find wrong is that it won't work with my CD. But there is only way to find out if you'll like it. Also, might I recommend Deus Ex: Revision? It changes up the maps in the vanilla game, and makes it look a bit more like a real world would.

First impressions, 5 mins or so of dicking around in the starter areas. Music seems good, level design quite good so far. Voice acting is average, some of the actors obviously have English as a second language (I'm being kind here!). Playing it with this New Vision mod which is supposed to upgrade the graphics, makes the text bloody small, almost unreadable.

Briefly, you play a UNATCO agent a la Denton who's been sent to help some Chinese security corp with some kind of triad problem. The intro wasn't very good at explaining things, but that's the gist from what I understood.

CrossLOPER:

WanderingFool:

You can probably get the full package in the July sale for five or ten dollars. I am 98% sure that most of the mods work with the steam version. Keep in mind that the Steam version is probably a modified version of the GOTY version. Not really that important, but just realize that.

Also, it is always good to be reminded of the days when modding wasn't a criminal offense that deprived publishers and developers of their birthright to push out and sell 5 million copies of rehash annually.

Speaking of Steam, now that I got a actual job, I need to get some steam points so I can buy FTL also...

Fun fact, I just finished playing Deus Ex again a couple days ago. It never uninstalled it. Although, I have it on an older desktop that I got in 04 and I haven't tested to see if it works on my new laptop, or if it suffers from Thief Syndrome and won't run, but hey!
Anyway, I can't say the graphics bother me. I mean, they're not great compared to today's effects, but graphics really aren't what make a game. That said, there are two things that do bother me about the game. First, fucking ladders. It's needlessly hard to climb and detach from them - to clarify, detach at the appropriate time and in a way that doesn't send you falling back down - sometimes. Second, the AI is legendarily thick. If an enemy sees you, you just have to go into another room and close the door and half the time he'll forget you were ever there. Fix those two problems, though, and I'll gladly describe Deus Ex as a perfect game.

DVS BSTrD:

kajinking:

I guess for now they don't consider Nihilum da foe.

That was terrible but still oddly appreciated.

I think in this case "somebody" can be changed to "everybody".

A good time to buy it on Steam I guess, I haven't seen that CD in a while...

Any chance it's due to go on sale?

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.