Razer's 14" Blade Gaming Notebook Won't Break the Bank

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Razer's 14" Blade Gaming Notebook Won't Break the Bank

Razer are touting the new version of its Blade gaming notebooks as "the world's thinnest gaming laptop," and will set you back $1799.

Several years ago, Razer announced the Razer Blade, an almost $3000 USD gaming laptop with incredibly beefy internals and the new Razer switchblade interface (basically a fancy little touch-screen LCD and programmable keyboard). While quite a cool concept, the incredibly steep price was a bit too rich for a lot of people's blood. Razer has now announced a 14" version of its Blade notebook, coming in at an ultra-thin 1.7cm (closed), and costing a slightly more reasonable $1799.

The 14" blade packs a GeForce GTX 765M GPU and a 2.2GHz Intel i7 quad-core CPU (Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz). It also features 8GB of onboard DDR3 memory and a 256GB SSD. That's quite a lot for such a small package, and should get you a decent amount of gaming mileage. The notebook has a 1600×900 HD screen, and should get you around six hours of battery life. It of course still comes with the programmable switchblade interface, though seems to be lacking the fancy LCD touch screen.

The laptop runs on Windows 8 and has several USB 3.0 ports. Curiously, it is lacking a touchscreen, which seems standard for notebooks in its class (especially those on Windows 8), but this was probably a conscious decision to keep costs down.

Razer has assembled the new Blade with bespoke parts and a custom engineered thermal system to prevent the notebook from melting during demanding titles. This is a reassuring point to someone who recently lost a gaming laptop due to poor ventilation...

Source: Razer

Pretty fancy specs. I don't like gaming laptops, but if I did I would probably get this one.

Does it come with asbestos pants? Because I'm not sure I'd fancy putting one of those on my lap.

It looks cool. The problem for me is that it has Windows 8 and I can get a similar if not more powerful laptop for less than that. Well, when you consider that the selling point is "the world's thinnest gaming laptop" on top of being Razer, that kind of justifies the price tag.

Adam Jensen:
Pretty fancy specs. I don't like gaming laptops, but if I did I would probably get this one.

For a gaming laptop at that price, this isn't really that fancy. I'll hand it to them that they've managed to make a very compact gamer-laptop (which makes me worry a bit about the cooling), but you can definitely get much better at the same price point.

Not to mention that the GTX 7XXM series is right around the corner, so why you would buy a gamer-laptop with a 6XXM card is beyond me, especially when it isn't that strong. Gamer-laptops can't really be upgraded, and this one is rather expensive, so buying one now makes little sense.

I'm personally going for a bigger one. My next gaming laptop later this year will feature a GTX 780M (which performs at twice the capacity of the card in this machine), 4th gen Haswell i7 CPU, a 17.3" Full HD screen, two hard drives (one being an SSD, the other a 750 GB 5400 RPM), 16 gigs of RAM and it's going for the same price as this one. It might not have switchblade, but i don't want or need it.

Meh, still too expensive. Can we get a refresh of Acer's TimelineX series?

Impressive, but it's still costs £1200.

The only way they are going to sell something like this in big numbers, which seems to be their aim, is to get it under £800.

Those looking at specks got to remember than same model number for laptop variant is not as powerful as the desktop varian because it uses low power mode which while allows it not to create a fireplace out of the laptop will not handle as much calculation.
Still, this is too expensive for a gaming laptop.

Vie:

The only way they are going to sell something like this in big numbers, which seems to be their aim, is to get it under £800.

True, but honestly, I'd really consider saving for one of these if I managed to get a steady job. And that's coming from someone who almost gave up on PC gaming altogether.

It looks interesting. Part of the appeal is that the laptop that's actually portable and you can still game on it, even if its not at the ultra high settings. Desktop replacements are handy, but not when you need to carry them around. Most of its price is probably due to that and the SSD

Athinira:

Adam Jensen:

For a gaming laptop at that price, this isn't really that fancy. I'll hand it to them that they've managed to make a very compact gamer-laptop (which makes me worry a bit about the cooling), but you can definitely get much better at the same price point.

Not to mention that the GTX 7XXM series is right around the corner, so why you would buy a gamer-laptop with a 6XXM card is beyond me, especially when it isn't that strong. Gamer-laptops can't really be upgraded, and this one is rather expensive, so buying one now makes little sense.

I'm personally going for a bigger one. My next gaming laptop later this year will feature a GTX 780M (which performs at twice the capacity of the card in this machine), 4th gen Haswell i7 CPU, a 17.3" Full HD screen, two hard drives (one being an SSD, the other a 750 GB 5400 RPM), 16 gigs of RAM and it's going for the same price as this one. It might not have switchblade, but i don't want or need it.

Can you tell me what that laptop is? I've been looking for one for a friend. Of course, if its a 10 pound (5kg) behemoth then never mind. Laptop buying is hard :/

Razer can't even make fucking mice that last, why in God's name would I buy a laptop?

$1800 for a notebook?! Fancy specs they may be, but if you consider that to be 'not breaking the bank', then I'd hate to see what you'd think was too expensive.

That's a little more than I'd want to spend on a 'gaming' laptop. I've got a $600 Acer with a quad core processor that's also 2.4ghz and jumps up to 3.0. It's got a graphics card with 2 gig of VRAM, whatever that is. The only problem was the ram was a little light at 4 gigs so I ordered two 4gb RAMS (ram cards? I dunno) and replaced it myself with a fair bit of cursing and terror. This, which again cost $600, plays anything I've thrown at it at medium to high specs.
If I wanted more performance, I'd build a desktop with the same specs, two monitors and easier access to components for upgrading while still having money left over.

Adam Jensen:

It has windows 8 in it.

What's wrong with you.

I could build a real gaming rig for about half that, and any mobile gaming console costs even less.

Steven Bogos:

Razer has assembled the new Blade with bespoke parts and a custom engineered thermal system to prevent the notebook from melting during demanding titles. This is a reassuring point to someone who recently lost a gaming laptop due to poor ventilation...

This time get a cooling pad. They're cheep enough but they tend to run on the computer's battery.

PoolCleaningRobot:
Can you tell me what that laptop is? I've been looking for one for a friend. Of course, if its a 10 pound (5kg) behemoth then never mind. Laptop buying is hard :/

The laptop doesn't 'exist' yet, but i know the different aims that manufacturers strive for, so one with the above specs will come around, and costwise it will probably be in the same ballpark as the Razer one (just below $2000). And it's an 8.5 pound, so it's heavy yes.

If i had to buy a laptop now rather than wait, I'd probably take this Medion machine. It has all the specs listed in my last post except it's Ivy Bridge and has a GTX 680M (which is still 60% faster than the one in the Razer). In the UK it costs the equivalent of $2050, which would probably be around $1800 in the US due to lower tax.

You want any better than that (lower weight with same specs or better specs with same weight) you're note gonna get below $2000 any time soon. Laptops are that range are typically at $2500 at least.

Vie:

Not by a long shot. There is a actually a high demand for Gamer Laptops. The reason is that desktops are still fewer and far between, and that the people who buys gamer laptop knows that they can't upgrade it in the same way as a desktop machine. That's why they're willing to spend great sums to get a laptop that can last them for several years.

If you look at the market, there is actually a great lineup of gamer laptops, from many different manufacturers. The demand isn't fictional :-)

1.8k for the privilege of lowering my sperm count? What a bargain!

I'm sure it'll be a pretty good machine but I cannot justify that price tag when you can find other machines for 30 - 50% less that will game plenty well. With that being said....I wouldn't turn away a free one and would like to play around with one for a bit if there's ever a demo model in a store.

Athinira:

PoolCleaningRobot:

The laptop doesn't 'exist' yet, but i know the different aims that manufacturers strive for, so one with the above specs will come around, and costwise it will probably be in the same ballpark as the Razer one (just below $2000). And it's an 8.5 pound, so it's heavy yes.

If i had to buy a laptop now rather than wait, I'd probably take this Medion machine. It has all the specs listed in my last post except it's Ivy Bridge and has a GTX 680M (which is still 60% faster than the one in the Razer). In the UK it costs the equivalent of $2050, which would probably be around $1800 in the US due to lower tax.

You want any better than that (lower weight with same specs or better specs with same weight) you're note gonna get below $2000 any time soon. Laptops are that range are typically at $2500 at least.

Interesting. Thanks for the link. Its a little bit out of my friend's budget. I think he'd rather have a smaller laptop that can game rather than one built to replace a desktop. I actually found one with better specs than this razor's previous model (the 15 inch version I believe). But its at half the price ($1300 vs $2000+) and has the ability to hot swap a second graphics card in place of the DVD drive. Its not the most powerful gaming laptop, but it'll make a good student notebook that can game without trouble

I think it looks pretty slick. Thats too far out of my range, however. I would much rather build a new desktop for that price. Its too bad laptops cannot be built in the same way as desktops.

Still pretty expensive for not "breaking the bank." Currently Lenovo's got some great sales on things, I think some pretty nice gaming laptops for like 800 or so.

I admit that the price is pretty tempting, especially if I was always on the go. However, I still don't like Razer for their Q/A and I still don't like gaming laptops for their lack of modularity and excessive heat. Cleaning them is annoying, as well, and you can't open the laptop without voiding the warranty in some cases.

I really wanted to post OT but... I just had to say I commend the journalist for making me feel I'm not the only person who disdains the use of the word "Laptop".
Now on to OT: Good, but I still won't buy one. I prefer to have modular capacity, as much as I enjoy Razer products. I wouldn't complain though if I happened to get one for free.

Worgen:
Still pretty expensive for not "breaking the bank." Currently Lenovo's got some great sales on things, I think some pretty nice gaming laptops for like 800 or so.

Yes but you will get a laptop that bigger and heavier (notebook format instead of close to ultrabook[Blade too heavy to be an ultrabook]), lower screen resolution, lower grade GPU (GT750M), a 5400RPM hard drive instead of an SSD, pretty sure the screen is not LED backlit also on lenovo model, but you do have a better power brick with the Y400, 170W instead of 150W, so would charge faster.

amaranth_dru:
I really wanted to post OT but... I just had to say I commend the journalist for making me feel I'm not the only person who disdains the use of the word "Laptop".
Now on to OT: Good, but I still won't buy one. I prefer to have modular capacity, as much as I enjoy Razer products. I wouldn't complain though if I happened to get one for free.

Too bad whitebox laptop are almost impossible to get these day. So if I was actually looking for a gaming laptop I would actually get one, but getting a gaming laptop, is a good way to kill all my capability to work.

Athinira:

I ain't even gonna bother clicking that. I know that Medion is Aldi's own-brand for electronics.

If you think that spending £1300 on an Aldi ownbrand laptop is a good idea, you deserve everything that happens as a result. Have you even used any of their other electronic products before? Some are very good and distinct bargains. Others aren't worth the cost of the carrier bag to take them home... but it's basically impossible to tell which is which until you get it home. Getting a refund for anything you've opened and used that isn't very obviously a manufacturing fault can be nightmarish, too. I'd be very wary about getting spendy in that shop just because of how much of a gamble it is.

It's like buying Acer's cheapest large-screen model and expecting it to either run at any kind of speed, or last more than 18 months. Except this time you've spent £1300, not £300.

I love these Razer laptops for their physical size. Ultrabooks are what I imagine laptops should be, light and thin, no bulk.

I would still install Linux on it.

Athinira:

Meh. I can understand the reasoning, but as an owner of both a 15.4 inch laptop, and a desktop system, I've learned that a large notebook feels kind of pointless.

Past a certain point, a desktop system is just plain more practical. Even a small form factor one (like Mini-ITX) can be had for less than a typical gaming spec notebook, and would easily have similar specs, and much better upgradeability.

What owning even a 15.4 inch laptop (which isn't exactly huge in the scheme of things) has also taught me is that even that size laptop is questionable as an actual portable device.

Not long after I got it I wished I had something smaller and lighter. But of course, past a certain size you start losing a lot of performance, and many practical issues creep in as well. (like the size of the keyboard, and so on.)

14 inches sounds like a decent size for a device that's actually portable, and not just a heavy immovable object that's portable only in theory...

But still. I guess I might have to put that to the test at some point in the future...

Ha, won't break the bank! Yeah, that headline is all sorts of wrong.

Just because an item is cheaper that what it should be and has more bang for the buck because of it, doesn't mean that it doesn't break the bank.

Seriously, even on a stable household income, $1799 is a seriously think about it and if it is purchased it is a once in every five years or so price.

Now if the thing was say, 400 dollars or less, than yes, it doesn't break the bank. Considering what I've seen on constructing PCs, people are downright throwing money away buying such a thing, when they could build it for far less than half that price.

Jeebus, the hardware I could put together for that price would eat that little POS for breakfast...

Somehow I don't trust any level of "custom thermal system" engineering to cool gaming hardware in a package that's only 1.7cm thick (unless it's liquid nitrogen, but then I wouldn't trust the case not to crack and spill it). I still say this is a ridiculous trend with no redeeming value to the consumer.

Athinira:

Adam Jensen:

The GTX 7000 series are just rebranded 6000 series the next new Nvidia GPU is the 8000 series which will be released once TSCM get's it's 20nm fabrication process running.

As much as I love Razer (don't hate me), both blade variants piss me off. See, lifestyle like mine, a desktop just isn't an option, and until recently, gaming laptops were rather shite (some would say they still are). Now, the first blade came out the same time I got my current laptop, and besides the graphics card, everything in my current machine is better (MUCH better in some aspects), and the bloody thing cost half as much as the blade. Now, I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card, and seeing the prices does justify it being more expensive, but not twice as much. This new blade is even less enticing, because it lacks the only feature that made the previous one somewhat interesting: the switchblade UI. Being thin is cool and all, but it doesn't bloody matter. Also, as others previously stated, better graphics cards are just around the corner.

I just don't see the appeal in this thing, and the price is nifty too.

Haha, won't break the bank. I thought that was a good one, and it's not even April Fools Day. I make about the median US income, have no family to support and love to game... but I would never consider spending that on a laptop. Especially since you cannot upgrade anything.

antidonkey:
1.8k for the privilege of lowering my sperm count? What a bargain!

Hey, a Vasectomy costs right around 1k, and is considerably less fun!

You are paying the extra 800 dollars just for the joy of not letting someone with scissors near your junk for the same effect! :3

I got a laptop for less than $400 and it can run Far Cry 3 on low at playable framerates (though the harddrive is slow, so it does stutter everytime I seem to turn around, at least until everything is loaded and on the RAM). Minecraft is no problem at all, and I can very easily play my favorite classics like GTA San Andreas, and plays Dead Island at just about 60 FPS on high settings. That being said, the laptop shown on here seems still rather expensive. That's just the problem with laptop gaming, we have the technology, its just expensive to produce in compact form. (and for anyone interested, the laptop I was talking about is this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B7K11MI/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.