Robotoki Panic Button Leads to LAPD Raid

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Robotoki Panic Button Leads to LAPD Raid

Robotoki Ghost Statue

A pressed panic button and a life-sized Call of Duty statue led to LAPD entering the offices of developer Robotoki with guns drawn.

Of all of life's temptations there is probably none greater than a button. It doesn't matter what warnings you're given or the size and variety of "Do Not Push" signs you hang above it, the presence of a button will inevitability to lead to someone pushing it. In some cases the consequences are minor. Some button pushes, however, can lead to your building being swarmed by armed police officers. Such was the case last night at the offices of Robotoki, an independent game studio based in Los Angeles.

"Our studio is equipped with a 'panic' alarm in case of an armed threat, which was installed yesterday," said Robotoki founder and former Call of Duty spokesman Robert Bowling. "One of our designers, who shall not be shamed, pressed it on his way out because apparently when boys find buttons that they are unsure of, their first instinct is to push it." The button press alerted local police who sent officers to respond. When the officers reached the Robokoti office, they saw what they believed to be an armed assailant through a window on the rear side of the building. The armed man was actually a life-sized statue of the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare's character Simon "Ghost" Riley. Believing they'd walked into an actual situation the officers entered the building.

"I was in my office when they arrived and saw them coming up our stairs, guns drawn," Bowling said. "They yelled for me to put my hands up and walk towards them slowly, then took me into custody and out of the studio until they cleared the rest of the rooms and floors." After searching the building and coming face to face with the "suspect" the officers returned to Bowling laughing over the misunderstanding. Passing the situation off as a prank gone awry, the police opted not to fine Bowling. It wasn't until later that Bowling and Robotoki would realize the button press had been an inside job. "We reviewed the security footage and saw our designer's curiosity to be the cause."

Source: Polygon

Well at least the officers saw the funny side, and didn't seem to react too extremely. Considering the nature of these stories in general, I half expected to read that they had shot the offices up taking down the "armed man".

Although I suspect one employee won't be getting a bonus this year.

Legion:

He's probably working in a chain-gang digging up the long lost ET burial site as we speak.

CriticalMiss:

Legion:

He's probably working in a chain-gang digging up the long lost ET burial site as we speak.

thats just cruel and unusual punishment, not to mention he will be the first victim of the horror that is unleashed

Well, shit. This gives me nothing to rag on the LAPD about. Damn you mysterious developer!

Come on, who places a panic button in an easy to spot and locate area?

Glad it was worth a laugh to everyone involved though

Ouch, someone's never living that down.

Either that or someone is very very fired right now.

Well on the upside: thanks to this story there is one more person who now knows Robotoki exists. =/

LetalisK:
Well, shit. This gives me nothing to rag on the LAPD about. Damn you mysterious developer!

I don't know, an armed assailant that never moves, even when the cops arrive and bust down the door, would strike me as kinda odd.

Still, its great that the LAPD were good sports about the whole thing.

Well, they should properly let their employees know what a button like that does.

What if there were an actual reason to press it and they didn't even know it would do what it does?

Perhaps it would have been wise to post a notice that it was a panic button, instead of leaving a mystery sitting around. For who out there can resist the siren's song of the mysterious-looking, unmarked button? It demands to be pressed. Even if it turns out to do absolutely nothing, the curiosity of the button is too much. We must know what it does.

Am I the only one who thinks this was all a publicity stunt?

Employees are almost always - no, scratch that, they are ALWAYS told about fucking panic buttons because y'know...It's a fucking panic button! "Hey, in case our lives are in danger, push 'this' button"

And they just happened to have a life-sized statue of a scary-looking militaristic-type character propped up by the window where everybody outside can easily see them?

The closest thing I did to relate to this was when I was in a hospital and using their toilet. I pulled the red cord instead of the white one. One flushes the toilet, the other rings the alarm to let everyone know you're either dying or just stuck.

I guess the LAPD's taken a few chill pills since that whole rogue cop incident. >.>

I accidentally read the title as "Robotnik Panic Button Leads to LAPD Raid. :|

Fappy:
I guess the LAPD's taken a few chill pills since that whole rogue cop incident. >.>

Yeah, they've gone from shooting pickup trucks because they're pickup trucks to not shooting a figure with a weapon. That's an improvement.

I can only imagine the security footage looked something like this:

ron1n:

I think more like this:

ahh yes i see the free publicity stunt button is working just as planned. Its not soo suspicious that hey look a character from out upcoming game is in the window and is the main focus of this 'scare'.
yeahh.... im not buying this one for a seccond sorry.

AdmiralCheez:
Perhaps it would have been wise to post a notice that it was a panic button, instead of leaving a mystery sitting around. For who out there can resist the siren's song of the mysterious-looking, unmarked button? It demands to be pressed. Even if it turns out to do absolutely nothing, the curiosity of the button is too much. We must know what it does.

No button does nothing. If I press a button and nothing happens, I expect to leave the building and run into a police blockade.

So, what's the point of a panic button if people don't know what it is? If there is an actual emergency, wouldn't you want the team to know what to do?

idarkphoenixi:

Employees are almost always - no, scratch that, they are ALWAYS told about fucking panic buttons because y'know...It's a fucking panic button! "Hey, in case our lives are in danger, push 'this' button"

And they just happened to have a life-sized statue of a scary-looking militaristic-type character propped up by the window where everybody outside can easily see them?

The closest thing I did to relate to this was when I was in a hospital and using their toilet. I pulled the red cord instead of the white one. One flushes the toilet, the other rings the alarm to let everyone know you're either dying or just stuck.

It does seem to be an enormously poor decision to put that figure next to an exterior window (I imagine it was only a matter of time before a citizen spotted it and called the cops), but it seems that the odds of a big fine are greater than the benefit of people laughing at one of your designers.

So... the button wasn't labelled?

Nobody told anybody what the button was for?

TiberiusEsuriens:

ron1n:

I think more like this:

Nope, like this:

(At least, it was my first thought.)

ron1n:

*wheezes* *subdued laughter* You sir...this is...That's perfect! I LOVE IT!!!
DEE-DEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps they should label a button like this. Granted it probally won't stop someone from pushing it, but at least then the person who did push it can get yelled at.

chimpzy:

LetalisK:

I don't know, an armed assailant that never moves, even when the cops arrive and bust down the door, would strike me as kinda odd.

Still, its great that the LAPD were good sports about the whole thing.

When law enforcement responds to a incident, they have standard operating procedures they follow so they don't end up smoking a whole office. Sounded like the officers responding had good judgement vs. some of the other less flattering stories they've been apart of in the past.

And this does scream of publicity stunt. Not that it matters, playing a new COD game is about as fun as having dysentery.

AdmiralCheez:
For who out there can resist the siren's song of the mysterious-looking, unmarked button? It demands to be pressed. Even if it turns out to do absolutely nothing, the curiosity of the button is too much. We must know what it does.

I think I'll install a random, useless button in one wall in my house. Leave it unmarked. All it does is turn on an LED next to it. That's it. A red LED. Screw putting up paintings or whatever, a button is more fun. Then I wait and see who presses it.

This reminds me of a similar incident with a neighbour ringing the police because they saw the silhouette of a person with a gun in another person's home. It turned out to be a lifesize statue of Lara Croft, but the police went in, confiscated the statue and arrested the owner. I mean, what?

At least this incident went off okay. It's good to see some people have a sense of humour.

redisforever:

AdmiralCheez:
For who out there can resist the siren's song of the mysterious-looking, unmarked button? It demands to be pressed. Even if it turns out to do absolutely nothing, the curiosity of the button is too much. We must know what it does.

I think I'll install a random, useless button in one wall in my house. Leave it unmarked. All it does is turn on an LED next to it. That's it. A red LED. Screw putting up paintings or whatever, a button is more fun. Then I wait and see who presses it.

Hook it up to some kind of alarm device that sounds off so the person feels all embarrassed.
So then you can look them right in the eye, point and say "Gotcha".

Anyway, I kind of get this weird feeling like it was some sort of publicity stunt...
Or rather, it seems to be the perfect pretense for it. Install a security system, tactically place a CoD statue and have a(n unmarked?) button out for someone to press and then have the police (who were notified that you were doing this) raid arrive and laugh it off.

/Great indie conspiracy 2013

Something tells me the cops watched the statue for more than ten seconds and figured out it was probably a model.

redisforever:

AdmiralCheez:

No troll them by putting a shocker in it than record there response and add a little counter to show how many victims you have now that will be more fun

they need a "Don't Panic" button.

Reminds me of that time in the when someone thought they saw a lion or something out in a field, and there was helicopters and everything trying to contain it.

Then they turned on the thermal imaging and saw it was a plush toy.

idarkphoenixi:

It was only installed one day before. They were probably going to tell everyone at the employee meeting.

Lead: "Next item on the list. Thanks to 'he who shall not be shamed' *looks at shamed employee*, everyone knows about the panic button we installed. Please do not push the button unless there is an emergency. *looks at shamed employee again*

Lets face it, if I had money to spend on stupid stuff, I would have a life-sized Borg statue in my living room, as well as a replica swords hanging on every wall. So let us not be too hard on the developer for buying cool statues.

Lono Shrugged:
Something tells me the cops watched the statue for more than ten seconds and figured out it was probably a model.

They probably order the statue to drop the weapon. Honestly, If I had been with the SWAT team, I might have shot the statue for not dropping the weapon. Though the police tend too be well enough trained to think fast enough too realize it was a statue.

Still, at least 10 seconds.

idarkphoenixi:

In fairness, the article did state that the button had only been installed the previous day. Usually that is a new higher orientation thing, they probably had not had the chance to orient all the current employees.

Don't get me wrong, it was still a stupid thing to do, but as the button was barely 24 hours old, I can kinda see why they pushed it.

But yeah, probably got themselves fired anyway. I can picture it now:

Interviewer: It says here on your application you were terminated from your last position, can I ask why?

Interviewee: I pushed a button.

Gilhelmi:

Lono Shrugged:

They probably order the statue to drop the weapon. Honestly, If I had been with the SWAT team, I might have shot the statue for not dropping the weapon. Though the police tend too be well enough trained to think fast enough too realize it was a statue.

Still, at least 10 seconds.

Well they saw it from outside the window. I imagine that they could tell pretty quickly it was not a person. I hate to sound like a dick but the LAPD being trained to identify targets is a bit of a bad joke. Just ask 71 year old Emma Hernandez who took 2 in the back only very recently when they thought she was a six foot tall rogue ex cop.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.