Microsoft's E3 Show Will Focus on Games

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Microsoft's E3 Show Will Focus on Games

xbox one screen

Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb has said in a Tweet that Microsoft will be turning off the television for E3.

A lot was said about television at Microsoft's Xbox One reveal . Too much, in fact, for many people disappointment the event wasn't weighted more toward the gamers. It wasn't as if there wasn't any videogame news. Gamers were able to take an extended look at Call of Duty: Ghosts and Alan Wake developers Remedy Entertainment teased its own new project, Quantum Break. Additionally, Microsoft announced a new Forza and promised a whopping fifteen exclusives titles, including eight new IPs, within the Xbox One's first year on the market. That said the focus was clearly on the console's uses as a multimedia device, a move that angered more than a few prospective customers.

With E3 a little more than a week away however, Microsoft is now assuring gamers that its Xbox One presentation at the world's premier gaming event will, in fact, be about videogames. Microsoft spokesperson Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb, has been doing his part by fielding questions on Twitter. Recently, one user asked Hryb if Microsoft would be showing off more TV features at its presentation. "I can confirm that we will have TV's (or similar) on stage to show the games," replied Hryb. "That should be the [extent] of TV talk in your E3." Hopefully Hryb's statement is accurate and the company has learned its lesson from the anger stoked by the Xbox One reveal. If it hasn't Sony seems more than willing to pick up the pro-gaming slack.

Source: Kotaku

*gasp a smart marketing decision by Microsoft. Next thing you know they're going to explicitly state their views on used games and onlineness instead of days and days of mixed messages and providing no information despite not refusing to comment.

and then the world will end.

It's kinda sad that they have to say "We're actually gonna be talking about games this time" May actually watch E3 live this year.

Well it's a start, but MS has to really have the most impressive E3 ever to win back the audiences after that trainwreck of a reveal. They should have honestly not done the reveal and should have just waited until E3 since all the reveal has done for them is ruin their image and boosted the image of their competitors.
But at the same time if this reveal hadn't of happened then we wouldn't be getting a week of Critical Miss comics, hilarious parodies, and overall seeing the hardcore fans either jumping ship or defending the Xbone to death in often times hilarious ways.

But I also remember how E3 has gone for MS the last couple of years and it's not been good. Out of all the companies this E3 is really gonna make or break MS big time.

Good. Now you've got all that stupid shit out of the way with the reveal, Microsoft, maybe we'll finally get some fucking games for this thing.

I swear, if they say "More details to follow" one more time....

I really think we're sending Microsoft the wrong message.
Shouldn't they address the used game and semi-always-online shit before the TV thing?

So they are turning off the TV coverage of their E3 conference, but they are promising to reveal games at it. Isn't this a bit self defeating? It's their last chance to win people over and it would be helpful if the journalists actually had some kind of footage to use when explaining the good and bad they saw.

You know you've messed up your company's image when you now have to announce things such as "You will be able to turn the Kinect 2.0 off!" and "We will be showing games at E3 this year!"

The biggest problem with the reveal wasn't even the reveal; it was the other information that surfaced around the same time, primarily regarding the DRM. Showing games will not alone be enough to fix that.

P.S. Thanks

Can you imagine if Microsoft had literally come out a few days before the reveal and said, no kidding, EXACTLY THIS THING? That they'd do the services like TV and sports at the reveal, then focus on games at E3? Imagine if they had made this clear in a statement a few days before the reveal.

IMAGINE THAT.

Breaking news! Someone leaked the script for the Microsoft E3 show. I'll quote it:

Curtains open.
Enter Don Mattick [business casual], stage left
"Xbox One plays video games too!"
[wait for standing ovation]
"Thank you and good night!"
Exit stage right.
Curtains close

Seems legit.

LavaLampBamboo:
Can you imagine if Microsoft had literally come out a few days before the reveal and said, no kidding, EXACTLY THIS THING? That they'd do the services like TV and sports at the reveal, then focus on games at E3? Imagine if they had made this clear in a statement a few days before the reveal.

IMAGINE THAT.

That, however, would have been sensible. :)
When you're a mega-corporation hellbent on dominating the livingroom, sense is the last thing you want to be making. The consumers can understand sense, duplicitous gobbledigook works so much better as a marketing tool. :D

The fact that they need to mention "We won't talk about the TV at the gaming expo." is worrying. I thought that was a forgone conclusion...

Were they actually planning on mentioning more of the TV features at one of the BIGGEST GAMING CONVENTIONS (and collection of 'booth babes' /sigh) in the world?

Azhrarn-101:

LavaLampBamboo:

IMAGINE THAT.

That, however, would have been sensible. :)
When you're a mega-corporation hellbent on dominating the livingroom, sense is the last thing you want to be making. The consumers can understand sense, duplicitous gobbledigook works so much better as a marketing tool. :D

I was being sarcastic. They did exactly this from the get go and made it clear that was the approach they were taking

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123503-Next-Xbox-Debuts-In-26-Days

Ah, so this time is the big reveal about streaming movies through the Xbone?

Nice to see some differences.

Colt47:
So they are turning off the TV coverage of their E3 conference, but they are promising to reveal games at it. Isn't this a bit self defeating? It's their last chance to win people over and it would be helpful if the journalists actually had some kind of footage to use when explaining the good and bad they saw.

Yeah, I think we need to read the article again. It's not about media coverage, it's about the TV features. They wont focus on TV features on their E3 and rather focus on the games.

LavaLampBamboo:

I was being sarcastic. They did exactly this from the get go and made it clear that was the approach they were taking

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123503-Next-Xbox-Debuts-In-26-Days

I see, as you could see, I was being sarcastic too. ;) Weird that there's such a fuss if they actually announced that they'd be doing this.

Well then they shouldn't have done the reveal

I think they only did it because Sony did it. Did a piss poor job at that..

CriticalMiss:
Breaking news! Someone leaked the script for the Microsoft E3 show. I'll quote it:

Curtains open.
Enter Don Mattick [business casual], stage left
"Xbox One plays video games too!"
[plays taped standing ovation over the speakers]
"Thank you and good night!"
Exit stage right.
Curtains close

Seems legit.

Fixed it for you

Hope they got something better to offer other than a racing game, EA sports, and CoD's pet dog feature.

Aside from any Halo-related games, I mean.

And any mass wanking off to their obsession with TV.

I'm going to give my opinion on this...more details to follow.

Appropriate Captcha: mumbo jumbo

LavaLampBamboo:

IMAGINE THAT.

The reveal still would have been stupid, they would have just told us in advance. Even if there are a substantial amount of people that care more about the ability to watch TV and sports on a games console than play games, those people clearly aren't core gamers. And guess which people are going to be paying attention to a console reveal, especially one that happens at 10:00 on a Tuesday. Hint: it's not the people that the conference was clearly aimed towards.

And how many of those games are going to be Kinect titles?

Because Microsoft's last two E3 showings have been all about games, and they were still absolutely terrible conferences rammed full of Kinect crap and Usher.

JasonKaotic:
I really think we're sending Microsoft the wrong message.
Shouldn't they address the used game and semi-always-online shit before the TV thing?

They already addressed that. They said, and I quote:

We're listening

and that they'll

disclose more information in the near future

link: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.409262-Major-Nelson-Claims-Microsoft-Is-Listening-To-DRM-Complaints

First impressions are pretty darn important. They've put themselves in a hole and now it's their job to climb out of it.

I'm a little bit scared to be honest. About the 15 exclusive titles I mean. 8 of those are new IP's, sure. But what about the other titles? One is probably Halo and one is Gears of War and then there's Forza. That still leaves 4 unannounced titles from this gen that will be exclusive to Xbox One. What if one of them is a series that I've come to enjoy on PC and PS3? There are already rumors circling around that Mirror's Edge 2 will be exclusive to Xbox One. What if next Mass Effect for example is exclusive to X1? And what if it's awesome? Because there is no way in hell that I'm ever buying an Xbox One. It's just not happening.

StewShearer:
Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb has said in a Tweet that Microsoft will be turning off the television for E3.

Then how will they be showing off games and the console and stuff?

EDIT:

Adam Jensen:
What if next Mass Effect for example is exclusive to X1? And what if it's awesome?

This made me laugh.

Yeah I'll believe it when I see it. Given with how much they talked about combining games, media, and all the other fancy features to make it the "ultimate entertainment center", I'm sure we won't get by without any mentions of the tv and Kinect features whatsoever.

But regardless, given with how poorly the reveal was received, they had better bring their A game to E3. That and actually talk about the concerns that people have with the console.

Adam Jensen:
I'm a little bit scared to be honest. About the 15 exclusive titles I mean. 8 of those are new IP's, sure. But what about the other titles? One is probably Halo and one is Gears of War and then there's Forza. That still leaves 5 unannounced titles from this gen that will be exclusive to Xbox One. What if one of them is a series that I've come to enjoy on PC and PS3? There are already rumors circling around that Mirror's Edge 2 will be exclusive to Xbox One. What if next Mass Effect for example is exclusive to X1? And what if it's awesome? Because there is no way in hell that I'm ever buying an Xbox One. It's just not happening.

Wouldn't that leave only 4 from the previous generation? And my bets are on another Viva Pinata, because we could really do with more colorful games.

fedirko7:
Wouldn't that leave only 4 from the previous generation? And my bets are on another Viva Pinata, because we could really do with more colorful games.

Typo. But it really wouldn't surprise me to see Microsoft paying the publishers to have previously multiplatform titles turned into X1 exclusives. They payed $50 million for timed exclusives for GTA IV episodes.
And this is the best case scenario in which Halo and Gears are two of those titles instead of some other previously multiplatform franchise.

Well I for one am excited to hear what they have to say about launch titles/exclusives. Its also refreshing to hear that they have listened to the community and hopefully will learn from their mistakes.

It will also be nice if they put some kinect/ DRM Rumors to bed, but I will not get my hopes up.

I also get the feeling that no matter what they say, it will be met with negativity from the gaming community due to the way they handled the whole reveal thing. I just hope it doesn't overshadow anything really cool.

Yopaz:

Colt47:

Yeah, I think we need to read the article again. It's not about media coverage, it's about the TV features. They wont focus on TV features on their E3 and rather focus on the games.

No I read the article, the headline seemed to suggest they were not allowing TV coverage.

I bet they will skip any questions about if the console will work more then 3 years again. The best way to get off Scott free from the loss of consumer trust after the RROD is to ignore it completely. I feel sorry for anyone who buys this turd.

Aerosteam:
You know you've messed up your company's image when you now have to announce things such as "You will be able to turn the Kinect 2.0 off!" and "We will be showing games at E3 this year!"

I'd like to note that when they said you'd be able to turn the Kinect 2.0 off, they really only meant that you can turn the console off, and the Kinect will be off as well. They essentially just announced it as having a power button.

OT: Is it going to be more EA Sports stuff? I'm betting so.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.