Remember Me Trailer Deletes The Bad and Replicates the Good

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Remember Me Trailer Deletes The Bad and Replicates the Good

The live-action trailer serves as a sort of prologue for the game, which is due out later this week.

"What if we could change, upgrade memory?" asks Antoine, a character in Capcom's upcoming sci-fi action game Remember Me. Antoine is the founder of Memorize, an agency that can alter and erase a person's memory. "Delete the bad, and replicate the good," he continues. The new live-action trailer offers a reflective and somber look into the final thoughts of Antoine, and shows Nilin, the game's main character, being taken to the Bastille where she will wake at the beginning of the game. It serves as a kind of prologue to the game, which is out on June 4 in North America, and June 7 in Europe.

The trailer offers some explanation into how the dsytopian world of Remember Me got so dystopian in the first place. Sci-fi's about memory alteration aren't an altogether new genre, but Remember Me looks to expand on it by giving Nilin the ability to pull some cool gameplay tricks by altering a person's memories in real time.

The character of Nilin herself was developed in the face of much adversity. At first, developer Dontnod Studios had to fight tooth and nail to keep her as a female, when publishers insisted that they use a male protagonist. She was then developed to be more of an "everywoman" than a "super-heroine", with the developer stating that they wanted Nilin to feel "real," and shied away from the "sexy" route.

Remember Me will be available on the PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.

Well, the game still looks boring as hell even with that trailer.

And I have to call bullshit on this line

the developer stating that they wanted Nilin to feel "real," and shied away from the "sexy" route.

when their box art is all about...

Dat ass!

Seems more like they are trying to play up to the white-knights to get more sales by going "OMG look how hards we fight!"

Is it just me or the trailer is a neverending line of nonsense pretending to be something deep?

Live action trailers for games are so wasteful and pointless. Rather than wasting your money with a studio with no idea of the source material, they should have just in game assets.

Desert Punk:

the developer stating that they wanted Nilin to feel "real," and shied away from the "sexy" route.

Dat ass!

Give credit where credit is due! They're not trying to show both ass and tits at the same time! [/MaybeSerious]

Oh, and I don't think the developers are actually in charge of the cover art. They rarely are.

Tar Palantir:
Is it just me or the trailer is a neverending line of nonsense pretending to be something deep?

Seems pretty straightforward to me.

Someone thought he could create a utopia by letting people take away their bad memories and make themselves happier/better people. The technology was abused and created a dystopian society instead, and he's leaving a final message for "the next generation" before erasing the memory of his failure.

The release date in the article is a month ahead of the actual release date. June, not July.

JediMB:

Desert Punk:

Dat ass!

Give credit where credit is due! They're not trying to show both ass and tits at the same time! [/MaybeSerious]

Oh, and I don't think the developers are actually in charge of the cover art. They rarely are.

Hahah Battle-Bunny Riven comes to mind, anatomically awkward? psh.

That said, the few reviews I've heard for the game haven't exactly been positive, so I'd shy away from pre-ordering at least.

To play the devil's advocate here, that box isn't really "sexy." Sure it kinda puts emphasis on her ass but I mean it's not really sexualized in any way. I am glad they took a more grounded appeal to their female character if anything. Still no idea what this game is about nor am I interested in it at the moment.

llubtoille:
That said, the few reviews I've heard for the game haven't exactly been positive, so I'd shy away from pre-ordering at least.

It's too late for me. I pre-ordered from Green Man Gaming about a month ago.

So if it's a shitty game, I'm getting a shitty game. But if it's at least worth playing, I can find some comfort in that it was rather cheap with the 20% discount on the US price.

JediMB:

Desert Punk:

Dat ass!

I recall the developers fighting to keep the female character in The Last of Us in a prominent place on their box art, so obviously devs, atleast some of them, have a bit of say in what the box art for their game looks like..

Desert Punk:

JediMB:

Desert Punk:

Dat ass!

I recall the developers fighting to keep the female character in The Last of Us in a prominent place on their box art, so obviously devs, atleast some of them, have a bit of say in what the box art for their game looks like..

Well, when you've had a hard enough time to find someone who's actually willing to publish your game, you're not in the best position for negotiating about cover art.

also pre ordered it. i dont expect a great game but at least a decent game i can enjoy. this trailer doesnt do much though so i hope the game will deliver more then this.

People should buy this, just to prove to publishers that games with female protagonists CAN be successful.

I'm still not sure if I'm going to get this. The previews I've seen haven't necessarily made the game look bad, but not great either. As for the trailer itself, it hasn't really changed anything. The narration seems just too simple, or rather, replace some of the first few lines about memory with any other technology and it's just like any other "Scientist meant for good has tech used for evil" schtick. To be fair, it may just be because I find live-action trailers to rarely appeal to me. They can be done right, but not these ones where everything jumps to a different shot every half second.

JokerboyJordan:
People should buy this, just to prove to publishers that games with female protagonists CAN be successful.

I would if the game didnt look so utterly bland. its a shame that they fought so hard for a female protagonist in what seems like it will be a throw away game.

FancyNick:
To play the devil's advocate here, that box isn't really "sexy." Sure it kinda puts emphasis on her ass but I mean it's not really sexualized in any way.

I think that kinda makes it worse, if she was deliberately posing to look sexy it would make sense for her ass to be on such clear display in the shot. As cover art it that seems like it's trying to be serious, it comes off looking stupid and childish. Notice where the title is positioned, ya, clearly not trying to draw the eye downward at all, real subtle.

I'm gonna buy this, not just to say "screw you" to the guys that think only male-led games can sell, but because it actually does look kinda cool. I like some of the features they're talking about, like memory mechanics and being able to make your own combos.

Well, the demo I played at last weekend's London Comic Con left me with mixed feelings. The visual design and atmosphere were good, and I liked the exploration aspect, but the camera was too wobbly, the platforming was bland, and while the free-flow combat system was alright it was very shallow, and the combat lab installed to improve it via combo customization was rather unintuitive. I'll still gladly play the game, but it's gonna be a rental for me.

Steven Bogos:

The character of Nilin herself was developed in the face of much adversity. At first, developer Dontnod Studios had to fight tooth and nail to keep her as a female, when publishers insisted that they use a male protagonist. She was then developed to be more of an "everywoman" than a "super-heroine", with the developer stating that they wanted Nilin to feel "real," and shied away from the "sexy" route.

Remember Me will be available on the PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.

That right there piques my interest in the game. It is awesome to hear a developer rebelling against the status quo of the shallow, overdone, and vacuous idioms imposed by publishers and, even more so, to have a female lead character that is actually believable, instead of just being yet another objectified 14-year-old's-wet-dream-made-digital.

The real shame is that first month sales are going to be up against The Last of Us. I wonder if Capcom knows that it isn't releasing this game in a vacuum. The premise seems interesting, but I don't have a clue what the gameplay looks or feels like.

From what I've seen thus far the game seems a bit up its butt in a bad way (ergo not Bioshock Infinite way) and the dialog sounds cringe worthingly bad. But I preordered it just because I was completely sold on the concept art for the game. Probably be a shit game, but at least it's not set in America or the Middle East.

I can also forgive a lot for trying to give a female ptotagonists a go. So if I just avoid reviews and base it off my own experience I'll probably enjoy myself.

I feel like the cover art is saying:

"Remember me.

~ Ass"

And I'm like:

"Ass, how could I ever forget you?

~ NoeL"

DrunkOnEstus:
The real shame is that first month sales are going to be up against The Last of Us. I wonder if Capcom knows that it isn't releasing this game in a vacuum. The premise seems interesting, but I don't have a clue what the gameplay looks or feels like.

That might be why they are doing it. They know the game wont really be able to stand up well on its own, so they are trying to stack as many blame averters as possible onto the game. "Female leads dont sell, we were up against a better game, piracy, new console gen is coming!"

Please, please let this game be good...

There is much potential in such a premise. Then again, almost all bad games have had premises with potential...

Desert Punk:

Dat ass!

At least her ass isn't sticking out at some odd angle like she has some sort of spinal deformity.

Glad to see SOME coverage of this game. I discovered it a year ago on amazon by complete accident.

Tar Palantir:

That's pretty much par for the course on any Capcom-published game.

I'm not expecting a good story. I'm expecting a nonsensical clusterfuck that will remain entertaining if just to see how crazy it gets, strung together by rather fun, brutal combat. Even if it's not developed by Capcom directly.

I'm desperately hoping that my expectations of the gameplay won't be shattered because it's a newcomer to the development field.

As for the topic at hand, I'm kinda sick of live-action trailers. Or CGI trailers. I don't want parts of the story spoiled for me before I ever play the game, I want to see what it's going to play like. The intrigue is part of what makes playing a game for the first time so interesting.

llubtoille:

Have you got links to the reviews? I've been curious about the game...

Desert Punk:

Dat ass!

A picture of a woman from behind is not necessarily a gratuitous ass shot, any more than it would be a gratuitous tit shot if she were facing the viewer. It's not like she's standing in some weird, impossible pose or thrusting it at the camera.

Have you seen Dingo Egret on the Zone of the Enders 2 box art? Now that is an ass.

Are people really complaining about how her ass is on the cover? Call me a cynic but I can't help but think that those same people would be complaining about her tits being on the cover if she was facing forward...

That's cynicism right?

I still hate the fact that I'm semi-unable to get this game. I've spent way too much in the last two or three months, but this seems like a genuinely interesting and enjoyable game.

I just hope this isn't the same male-bashing bullshit as the new Tomb Raider.
Don't get me wrong, the gameplay was great but the story was terrible and you don't even fight Himiko.

And Himiko's story(the one originally told by Sam) is supposed to be good? in what world? Nothing happens in it, she was a powerful dictator of some island, possibly with magical powers but she really did nothing with it except make a few storms.

"Woman wielding power is considered sorcery?" seriously? Just because the US hasn't had a female president doesn't mean other countries haven't either.

shephardjhon:
Don't get me wrong, the gameplay was great but the story was terrible and you don't even fight Himiko.

And Himiko's story(the one originally told by Sam) is supposed to be good? in what world? Nothing happens in it, she was a powerful dictator of some island, possibly with magical powers but she really did nothing with it except make a few storms.

"Woman wielding power is considered sorcery?" seriously? Just because the US hasn't had a female president doesn't mean other countries haven't either.

I was certainly surprised by the Himiko thing. I mean, sure, she was a psychic alien clone or whatever in Crystal Triangle, but god was a giant space grub in that movie. I first learned about her from a Japanese middle school history textbook, and the people who wrote that certainly didn't seem to think there was anything evil or magic about her. You would think that if Japan doesn't freak out about her, no one else would either. You could argue that the sorcery stuff is because she ruled so long ago that she's become a semi-mythical figure, known primarily from Chinese documents, but that would only make sense if they'd portrayed everything from that time period as weird and sorcerous.

shephardjhon:

Err...wait what?
Did you miss the whole soul transfer power she had and the whole having a giant undead army that has some insane giant dudes in it? And even then "just some storms"? You mean the ones where you can actually target something like a plane or a boat...that's kind of an impressive power.

OtherSideofSky:

shephardjhon:

I was certainly surprised by the Himiko thing. I mean, sure, she was a psychic alien clone or whatever in Crystal Triangle, but god was a giant space grub in that movie. I first learned about her from a Japanese middle school history textbook, and the people who wrote that certainly didn't seem to think there was anything evil or magic about her. You would think that if Japan doesn't freak out about her, no one else would either. You could argue that the sorcery stuff is because she ruled so long ago that she's become a semi-mythical figure, known primarily from Chinese documents, but that would only make sense if they'd portrayed everything from that time period as weird and sorcerous.

Because that's part of the actual legend.

The people who made the game didn't just pluck that idea out of nowhere.

She was known as the Shaman Queen

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.